Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic Interview: Release Date & Preserving a Legend - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    I got some real life friends looking to jump into this, too.  One is building a PC for to be ready when it drops as we speak.

Interesting times.
    He's building a PC  for classic WOW ? WTF ?! I played this shit on a gateway with on board graphics card. Iron Forge was a slide show and i loved every minute of it. 

Hahaha he doesn't currently have a PC, only a work laptop.  So he was looking to get back into PC gaming, and is excited for WoW and some RTSs.
    ArteriusPhry

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Albatroes said:

Stizzled said:

Albatroes said:

This sounds rushed. No proper testing time.

Three and a half months isn't long enough to test a 15 year old game?

It won't be perfect on release, nothing ever is, but I'm sure it will have had enough internal and external testing by August.

Remove the excitement for a bit and look at 2 main points: 1) the cbt 'phase(s)' are 'small-scale, focused closed betas (nothing really new),' 2) >>> Participants will also need to have an active subscription or active game time on their Battle.net Account. <<<. Tin-foil hat theory, they're trying to raise their quarterly numbers. If this was going to be properly tested, it would've honestly started earlier this year. Vanilla wow isn't exactly small...
    Small-scale is a relative term. We have no idea how many people they'll invite or how long the closed beta will run. A couple of hundred players testing it over the next few months should be plenty enough to iron out most of the major game breaking bugs.

Let's not forget that there are a lot of things that won't need to be tested for release as they won't be available until later phases.

We shall see, it could be a horror show, but I doubt it.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 858
    i started wow about 4 weeks before the first expat so im looking forward to signing up from the start, at least do a month, see if i still gives me the buzz it roginally did, i get the resurect Quazal the Shammy , back when shammies had places :D 
    Would be too much to ask if the servers were called their original names as well i suppose at least then people could join their old servers in hope of finding long lost contacts :disappointed:

For the Horde..

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    If they offer a free period for returning customers I might be interested but not paying the full sub for. I was initially stoked when they announced and nothing made me happier but as time went and seeing what Blizz did to retail, I just cannot support them from a financial standpoint.

It is not that I will not play another Blizzard game so it is not that but will not be a piggy bank for WOW anymore is all. I am excited though for the folks who are looking forward to it and hope that it is everything you remember and more.
    GdemamiMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,580
    edited May 14
    SBFord said:
    Kyleran said:
    SBFord said:
    August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)
    Point of order, for those in the US we get it on August 26th..this from MassivelyOP.

": World of Warcraft Classic is now set to launch on August 27th – actually, in the US, it’s the evening of August 26th “to align with other regions.” "

;)
    The press announcement said the 27th as did the image we were given in the press package from the event. So I'm going with that. There's a link to the blue post with the time zone releases worldwide that people can make reference to.

Given that 99.2% (yes, I made this number up) of the world launches Classic on the 27th and 3 time zones in the US launch on the 26th, I figured the 27th was statistically more accurate.
    I see what you were trying to do there.  

Well, from a US centric viewpoint, very important to know the "real" date is the 26th.

Can't let the rest of the world get a jump start on us.  (As if)

;)

SBFord

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 883
    Just FYI and this may have been covered and discussed here already and I missed it, but they came out with information on their answer to 'sharding."  Its called "layering," which is like a full server shard.  So it isn't restricted to just lower levels and it will end some time before phase 2.  A lot of people on their forum seem angry about it.  Personally, I'd like some assurance it will end no more than a month after live.  I'm not against the idea to solve the initial rush, queue, and starting zone quest/mob bottlenecks.  
    Phry
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Anyone know if they plan to let people use add-ons in Vanilla?
    I really hope not, since they have destroyed PVP in retail.
    Torval
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,164
    will be interesting to see how the long the popularity of classic lasts.........
    TorvalMrMelGibson
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,997
    I just can't get excited about something I've already done. Really don't have any interest in doing it again, I'd just as soon move on to new things.
    blueturtle13TorvalMrMelGibson
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 883
    F2Plague said:
    Anyone know if they plan to let people use add-ons in Vanilla?
    I really hope not, since they have destroyed PVP in retail.
    Yes, but with the modern API from what I understand.  So new addons will work (or need to be tweaked for the older content or UI), old ones will not.  

Same for macros - it will use the new system so you won't be able to have the same functionality you did during vanilla.  No combining abilities, etc.  
    Phry
  • SunshineeSunshinee Member UncommonPosts: 14
    As someone who started his mmorpg life with vanilla wow at a young age and has accomplished almost the highest difficulty / highest tier of different types of expansions including being in top raiding guild in Vanilla itself. I can't be anything but greatly disappointed at this. Vanilla WoW was easily the most boring experience for me personally and the improvements over the following expansions really enhanced the game for me greatly. Hard not to look at this and think this is what it has come to?

With all that said I am super happy for the folks who are getting this and genuinely happy to go back to this. I personally don't get it but i'm glad for you guys because you don't see this type of thing happen for a lot of other games people wish would come back for them. This is awesome to see for the community. Drinking after every pull? shoot me now LOL have fun folks
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,798
    the most important issue is listening to what the community wants; if Blizzard can do this, then the future of WoW Classic, in whatever form that may be,is assured.
    Gdemami
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Playing this game will stall the progress of Blizzard being forced to work on another big MMORPG, boytcott this garbage they coulden't let people play on private servers cuz they wanted to make profits on it, they just wants profits, we should draw a line. Also why take 100 steps back instead of calling for a new beautiful MMORPG but with a more vanilla setting "more utility, skills, and less constrained
    Stizzled
  • MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Looking forward to it!
  • AgeniAgeni Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I cannot wait. I love they finally did it, thanks for it and now lets jump to Deathknell !!
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,786
    I just can't get excited about something I've already done. Really don't have any interest in doing it again, I'd just as soon move on to new things.
    Agreed. WOW was entertaining enough back then I guess but I have already done all that content and with alts more than once. I have no desire running all that same content over again. Having an excited community involved in an mmorpg is great but it is still just another ‘classic’ server to a game I’ve already played to death. 
    When mmorpg development dollars left for other genres I left with it.
    The mmorpg is just a series of reruns. 

KyleranTorvalparrotpholkMadFrenchieMrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 830
    Seems they lost their heart when they had to cancel Titan, and recoup what they could in Overwatch, which I admit is a fun game in its own right for a short while.

Idk if they have the fortitude or support to try another new MMORPG IP at this point.

They're uncanny in their ability to both water down game systems while making them polished for the most part...I'll give them that.

I wonder how many of us would shit our pants if they announced a new SANDBOX MMORPG, with the best never-ending endgame game play ever in a video game. Would it ever get to 12M subs?!

It'd be fun to keep track of fo sho!

Gut Out!
    SBFord

What, me worry?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,736
    The Blizzard that is today is not the Blizzard of then.
    They will f**k this up.
    MisterZebub
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 2,993
    See you all in Classic!
    parrotpholk

You stay sassy!

• CazrielCazriel Member UncommonPosts: 418
    All we need now is for someone to post the original WoW Numa Numa video and our wayback experience will be complete.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,034

SBFord said:

August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)

Totally !
    Shall we make some MMORPG.COM guild ?
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,008
    Gutlard said:
    I'll check it out, but will have to patiently wait for WoTLK servers!

That's when I jumped into the game.

Gut Out!
    I started in Vanilla, but WOTLK would be the expansion I have the most interest in playing from again. By far my favorite expansion. 
    Same. . didn't like the first but enjoyed that one. . mixed bag after that.  I will sign up for sure. . seems funny to beta test a game how long after beta testing it?   :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 512
    Created a low level warrior on the PTR and bound the /oom voice emote to my keyboard.

Don't know how many whispers I got...

"Dude, Warriors don't have mana!"

Proof that you can have that classic experience without actually playing classic.

Jean-Luc_Picard
  • nopal3ddnopal3dd Member UncommonPosts: 4
    same shit over again, just get over it so they can release a wow2 and not the same crap over again
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 312
    I just wanted to leave this here:
    MisterZebub