Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Classic Interview: Release Date & Preserving a Legend - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageWoW Classic Interview: Release Date & Preserving a Legend - MMORPG.com

On a partly cloudy day in Irvine, California last week, I had the chance to learn a lot more about World of Warcraft Classic, the game that is on many of our community members’ lips these days. Classic hearkens back to an earlier time in MMOs, a time in the genre’s earliest days where the play was the tool to building communities and relationships with others around the world. With the release of WoW Classic this summer, Blizzard is looking to bring back, not only memories of the way the game played in its infancy, but also to bring back the sense of community.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)
    PpipermcrippinsJeffSpicoliKyleranMadFrenchieDeyirnmike32927ValdheimAgenionelesslightand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,156
    edited May 14
    SBFord said:
    August 27th, folks! Who's stoked!? :)
    Me ;)

The grown up kids and I are all looking forward to it. They're teasing about having to carry me ;)
    ScotJeffSpicoliMadFrenchieblueturtle13

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,305
    love the emphasis on building a strong server community.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh
  • PpiperPpiper Member RarePosts: 1,014
    I am! Cannot wait.
    JeffSpicolionelesslight
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,639
    Cant wait to try classic WoW for the first time
    JeffSpicolionelesslight
    Arterius said:
    They're going to start beta testing tomorrow and will have a number of stress tests through July. You'll definitely want to opt in through your BattleNet account for a chance to be included. :)

https://account.blizzard.com/
    KyleranArteriusMadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,837
    Well, the saying always was, if there was going to be a WoW killer, it would be WoW, or something along those lines!
    ScotXarkoKyleranGaladournWhiskeydust
  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,828
    edited May 14
    The fact that they did this is amazing for one, for two it really makes SOE look like the d-bags they were back in the day when they said they couldn't bring back classic servers of SWG; yet many have proven classic versions of games can be brought back, by novices and professionals alike.
    GaladournLeiros

• RenfailRenfail Member RarePosts: 1,336
    Our Saga of Lucimia gaming community is already 50 strong and growing :) We can't wait. 

FOR THE ALLIANCE! :) 
    ScotAmatheKyleranPuReDusTblueturtle13Zeneren
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Creative Director | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    Renfail said:
    Our Saga of Lucimia gaming community is already 50 strong and growing :) We can't wait. 

FOR THE ALLIANCE! :) 
    I was fully with you til your last sentence. :|

FOR THE HORDE!
    RenfailGaladournPhryMrMelGibsonblueturtle13TintagilZenerenTyemexTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,219
    I like how the responses were worded. They want to preserve it. That's all I needed to hear. Also the fact that they are open for expanding it if players want, or having progression servers. Sounds good to me. Can't wait.
    SBFordGaladournLeirosCazriel
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 831
    I'll check it out, but will have to patiently wait for WoTLK servers!

That's when I jumped into the game.

Gut Out!
    Panther2103

What, me worry?

Gutlard said:
    I'll check it out, but will have to patiently wait for WoTLK servers!

That's when I jumped into the game.

Gut Out!
    I started in Vanilla, but WOTLK would be the expansion I have the most interest in playing from again. By far my favorite expansion. 
    GutlardMrMelGibson
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    There's no way this won't be at least a moderate success. I'd say moving forward through the expansions is a given at this point.

Cannot wait to jump back into Vanilla and beyond!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,156
    Who knows....

WoW Classic could end up being WoW 2
    XarkobcbullyGdemamiCazrielTacticalZombeh

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Stizzled said:

There's no way this won't be at least a moderate success. I'd say moving forward through the expansions is a given at this point.

The closer they would get to current, the more amendable I'd hope they would be to fix their initial mistakes the 2nd go-round. We would all be nice enough to act like the first time never happened if they did, I'm sure!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 925
    Can't wait. Also who knows... if it's a success they might do an expansion LOL. Can you imagine getting an expansion for Vanilla(a new one not, TBC etc...), now that would be awesome :)
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Gutlard said:

Stizzled said:

The closer they would get to current, the more amendable I'd hope they would be to fix their initial mistakes the 2nd go-round. We would all be nice enough to act like the first time never happened if they did, I'm sure!

Gut Out!
    I'm actually really curious what they plan to do after Wrath (assuming they do move through the xpacs). Cata was when the game became what it is now, though there was a lot of it in Wrath too, but whatever, people still seemed to like Wrath. 

Will they eventually just have servers running every expansion for the sake of preservation? Or, will Vanilla, TBC and Wrath just be special?

It would be pretty telling if they didn't feel anything after Wrath was worth preserving. 
    Torvalbcbully
  • swagholeswaghole Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Need to have active sub or game time for beta, what a bummer.
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,639
    laserit said:
    Who knows....

WoW Classic could end up being WoW 2
    You joke but this is what I have been saying. In a year or two when people start leaving WoW classic out of desperation they will be begin releasing expansions. At first they will be what we know. If i would guess after Wraith of the Lich King they start making new ones. 
    Gdemami
    They could do a totally different timeline like the new Star Trek movies... :o 

Cata never happens, and the future and future progression could be in brand new directions.

Gut Out!
    GaladournbcbullyCaffynated

What, me worry?

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 885
    I am not happy about this news.  I really thought this was going to be a July release, early June latest.  Late August is ridiculous.  Its like all the companies making games that I am interested all conspire to have years long stretches of nothing for me, then a small window far in the future where they all plan on releasing the games I want all at the same time.  And then they all laugh and high-five each other and throw darts at a picture of my face.
    ManWithNoTanswagholemike32927TacticalZombeh
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,837
    edited May 14
    I feel like this is going to be a incredible expierence until i hit 60 & then reality will set in and that dreaded been ther

Arterius said:

I'm really curious to hear what you think of classic. Please create a post after a few weeks and share your experience. I'v always wondered if WOW classic was something special or it just caught me at the right time and I'm now simply running off nostalgia .
    Post edited by JeffSpicoli on
    Arterius
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

blamo2000 said:
    I am not happy about this news.  I really thought this was going to be a July release, early June latest.  Late August is ridiculous.  Its like all the companies making games that I am interested all conspire to have years long stretches of nothing for me, then a small window far in the future where they all plan on releasing the games I want all at the same time.  And then they all laugh and high-five each other and throw darts at a picture of my face.
    Yes I bet they all think of Blamo2000 on mmorpg.com when deciding what date they go with. 

In all honesty though I would rather this launch be late August and stable, than a rushed June / July and have all kinds of issues. 
    SBFordTorval
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I am quite excited!

I can't wait for old-timey battlegrounds again, and the event to open AQ is going to be so massive! I wonder how fast we'll get it open, the second time around?
    JeffSpicoliCnOath