Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for Starting Out in City of Heroes - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

imageTips for Starting Out in City of Heroes - MMORPG.com

While many of you are returning to City of Heroes on certain private servers, I’m sure there are some of you out there who are playing the game for the first time. As a game that came out before World of Warcraft took over the genre, CoH does a ton of things differently and that can be overwhelming, so here’s a couple of tips to get you started out on the right foot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Where can you find places to play?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    The P2W Vendor " sells and gives away a bunch of the previously locked behind MTX or pre-order/deluxe edition promotional items found in the live game."

Classic :)
    MikeBwingoodKlikae
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    The whole 'Don't stress the Meta' section is something I cannot push enough. So many people ask what the best power combinations are for X, or the most viable set is for Y. It really doesn't matter, just make and put together whatever you want. Sure, it might not be the super elite 0.1% top DPS build, but in this game, with a competent group, anything is doable by anyone.
    sschruppMikeBwingoodKlikae[Deleted User]HarikeninfomatzPhry
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

Grintch said:

Where can you find places to play?

the most populated servers right now are the homecoming ones.
    if you type in : coh homecoming in google, the first link should be their discord server.
    here you'll find how to create an account and how to play and the announcements regarding upcoming updates and downtimes.
    there are other servers sprouting left and right but they don't have nearly as many players.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scrapper is a fun archetype. Nice balance between offense and defense. Good for soloing and in groups.
    MadFrenchiewingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ragebulletragebullet Member UncommonPosts: 55
    i thought talking about private servers is a no no?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,165
    edited May 2019

Over the years they have eased up on those rules. Back in the day yeah, warning and/or ban.
    HarikenwingoodKlikae
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

For forum posts, keep it to our private server discussion subforum. And we only allow the discussion of private servers for games that are no longer live.
    MadFrenchieScot[Deleted User]Blaze_RockerKilranewingood[Deleted User]SamhaelinfomatzPhryand 1 other.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    It speaks volumes when MMO's from times past are preferred to the garbage they release today, Albion Online is an exception as I quite like AO but CoH isn't AO. The Golden Age of MMO's is preferrable to the Modern Age of MMO's, which are mostly dross and politically correct MMO's these days.
    ScotBlaze_RockerCaptFabulouswingood[Deleted User]infomatz
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    So someone 'stole' the server code or reverse engineered it (highly unlikely) and the community is in support of this illegal behavior? HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    MendeleoloeRoyalValorWhiskeydustBaalzharon[Deleted User]retiredmjKeller
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    black9ice said:
    So someone 'stole' the server code or reverse engineered it (highly unlikely) and the community is in support of this illegal behavior? HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    there is a reason the MMO community is not really respected.
    eoloeRoyalValorWhiskeydustBaalzharon[Deleted User]retiredmjKeller

Horusra said:

black9ice said:

Problem is most people now days do not respect any others intellectual property and believe they have rights to access, view, sell, trade such property.
    eoloeSovrathWhiskeydustBaalzharon[Deleted User]
    Is this a website now that supports software piracy?
    Baalzharon[Deleted User]Samhael
  • BaronMunchausenBaronMunchausen Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    nyxium said:
    It speaks volumes when MMO's from times past are preferred to the garbage they release today, Albion Online is an exception as I quite like AO but CoH isn't AO. The Golden Age of MMO's is preferrable to the Modern Age of MMO's, which are mostly dross and politically correct MMO's these days.
    This is SO true and I am never a fan of political correctness.  I am so happy/glad that CoH/CoX is back in some form or another.  Maybe companies should start looking slightly in the past on what made MMO's well..MMO's.  Not the super 'I need 1 billion FPS' game or the PTW games.

CoH is THE Super Hero game (got tired of DCUO after a week of playing and the game that uses the HERO RPG system just did not cut it either) but never, ever get tired of playing CoH..

So when are we going to bring back Star Wars: Galaxies???  ;-)
    eoloeBaalzharonBlaze_Rocker[Deleted User]infomatz
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    edited May 2019
    nyxium said:
    This is SO true and I am never a fan of political correctness.  I am so happy/glad that CoH/CoX is back in some form or another.  Maybe companies should start looking slightly in the past on what made MMO's well..MMO's.  Not the super 'I need 1 billion FPS' game or the PTW games.

CoH is THE Super Hero game (got tired of DCUO after a week of playing and the game that uses the HERO RPG system just did not cut it either) but never, ever get tired of playing CoH..

SWG has been going for quite a long time. Pre-CU servers, post-NGE servers, etc..
    Baalzharon
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited May 2019
    A new superhero game couldn't hurt either. I enjoyed CoX, but played it completely solo. I never did check out DCUO, but I love Marvel/DC, so maybe Marvel can come out with a shiney new MMORPG? And allow players to create content?

Gut Out!
    gpfryguy

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Gutlard said:

I enjoyed CoX, but played it completely solo. 

You can definitely do that. Many people did. I did some. But soloing gets dull after a while because you are either just doing basic missions or street fighting. The more fun things would not usually be soloable. Back in the day groups were easy to find.
    ScotBlaze_Rockerwingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    best tip i can offer is not to play it!
    Blaze_RockerRoyalValorWhiskeydustBaalzharonwingood[Deleted User]Samhael
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    nyxium said:

Welcome to the Forums! :)
    Blaze_Rocker
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Horusra said:
    black9ice said:
    Source?
    wingoodretiredmjinfomatz

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Love COH, but miss Marvel Heroes. nuff said.
    [Deleted User]gpfryguyretiredmj

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36

black9ice said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
    AlmostLancelotBaalzharonKilranewingood[Deleted User]retiredmjinfomatz
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited May 2019
    MikeB said:

For forum posts, keep it to our private server discussion subforum. And we only allow the discussion of private servers for games that are no longer live.
    Pretty big distinction between emulation and utilizing actual stolen binaries and source code though, no?

So in principle, this site is supporting the theft of intellectual property by even allowing this discussion at all.

I think I'm done here, this is beyond unethical to say the least. I've seen a lot of questionable things take place here over the years, but this takes the cake.
    MendelBaalzharon[Deleted User]retiredmjinfomatzOzmodan
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

black9ice said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware
    But it isn’t, abandonware  requires its developer not to have discontinued the product. That is not the case here.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotBaalzharon[Deleted User]retiredmjPhryEponyxDamor
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ArcanenUKArcanenUK Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Should this be a post due to the fact its effectively pirated software from a company that closed it down ? Has there been any word from NCSoft yet ?
    Baalzharon