Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all those craving for sandbox games and community, please read this.

Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,045
edited May 6 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

4507Amatheblueturtle13TorvalMaurgrim

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,719
    This is great. Thanks for sharing it.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 493
    If only the game itself was more accessible.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,031
    I really should just play this game. It sounds excellent.
    AmatheJean-Luc_PicardNyctelios

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Many people may not realize this, but you can play this game in VR. It's pretty cool actually piloting a spaceship.
    Jean-Luc_PicardNycteliosPhry
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Sovrath said:
    I really should just play this game. It sounds excellent.
    It really is, and there is so many ways to play it. I use it as a space trucking simulator, I have well over 60 hours ingame and haven't fired a single shot .
    SovrathJean-Luc_Picardblueturtle13NycteliosAlBQuirkySteelhelm
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,745
    Community <tick>, sandbox elements <tick>, but flying around in a space ship is not a MMORPG. Then again Jean did not say it was, so I take it he agrees. :)
    Jean-Luc_Picard

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,211
    Been exploring a lot in ED, almost gotten to elite rank in exploring, just want to say I love exploring in this game but as in real life there are much boring seen this done that, but sometimes you find awesome sights and visual that fuel you to keep exploring.

You can explore right off the bat when first logging in, sure it will take longer time due to your nub ship but It is doable and It's a good income early on.
    Jean-Luc_PicardJeffSpicoliAlBQuirky
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,045
    edited May 7
    Many people may not realize this, but you can play this game in VR. It's pretty cool actually piloting a spaceship.
    In VR with a well configured HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) controller, it's nothing short of amazing :)

I'm playing with a simple T-Flight HOTAS X, and my Pimax 8K headset.
    ultimateduckkryntokblueturtle13MrMelGibson
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

edited May 7
    Scot said:
    Community <tick>, sandbox elements <tick>, but flying around in a space ship is not a MMORPG. Then again Jean did not say it was, so I take it he agrees. :)
    It's definitely a MMO in open space mode, and it has RPG elements in the form of ship progression just like Eve has. You can also land on planets and explore them btw.
    But yes, it's not a RPG in the traditional meaning of the term. More like a MMOSpaceSim.
    ultimateduckJeffSpicoliSteelhelmVelifax

In VR with a well configured HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) controller, it's nothing short of amazing :)

Setting up the HOTAS and voice command is whats keeping me from playing this game a lot more.
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 76

Man I would love your setup /Wipe drool from keyboard

kryntok said:

I heard the Primax has quite a few bugs. I'm sure its great sitting down. I'm not sure I would want it for anything else. I have a VR room (14x14) with an Oculus. Really cool with games like Skyrim.
    Kyleran
    edited May 7
    kryntok said:

I heard the Primax has quite a few bugs. I'm sure its great sitting down. I'm not sure I would want it for anything else. I have a VR room (14x14) with an Oculus. Really cool with games like Skyrim.
    It works just as well as an occulus or a vive if you use one (for seated) or two (for room scale) vive lighthouses with it, it's 100% compatible. Vive controllers work too, I'm using my old set of Razer Hydra controllers which also work just fine.

The 180° FOV beats anything, you no longer see your virtual worlds through goggles. And the screen door effect is almost non existing too. I'm very happy to have kickstarted this and gotten it cheaper than a vive pro.

I owned a Pimax 4K before, still have it and it's already great for SDE but the "goggle" effect is just like the one of occulus or vive, bad, you see the worlds through binoculars. The product is good though, that's why I dared to kickstart the company for their new model with that awesome 180° FOV (200° maximum, but that kills my poor old 980ti).

I'm using it for race sims (Assetto Corsa), Elite of course, Skyrim VR (amazing! ) and many other non-vr games like WoW, Diablo or ESO thanks to the VorpX drivers which project them in real 3D, and also to watch 3D Blu-Ray on my own personal giant iMax screen.

Only drawback, you need a beast of a PC, 980ti / GTX 1070 minimum, to enjoy the full resolution of the headset.

@kryntok the T-Flight HOTAS X is cheap, you can find them for $50 nowadays.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    ultimateduckKyleran

Setting up the HOTAS and voice command is whats keeping me from playing this game a lot more.
    Yeah you definitely need "Voice Attack" when in VR, you don't have enough buttons on any existing HOTAS, or you'd have to use modifiers (button combos) and it's a nightmare.

I have everything flight/combat related on the HOTAS, and more "casual" commands (landing gear, alternate input mode, galaxy map, etc...) using voice commands. Keep in mind that with a VR headset, you don't need keys to switch to the left and right UI elements, you just have to turn your head :)

Yeah you definitely need "Voice Attack" when in VR, you don't have enough buttons on any existing HOTAS, or you'd have to use modifiers (button combos) and it's a nightmare.

I have everything flight/combat related on the HOTAS, and more "casual" commands (landing gear, alternate input mode, galaxy map, etc...) using voice commands. Keep in mind that with a VR headset, you don't need keys to switch to the left and right UI elements, you just have to turn your head :)
    A picture just came into my head of a guy in a VR head set. "Attack!, Attack! Attack!, FFS Attack!" :) 
    Jean-Luc_PicardultimateduckAmatheAlBQuirky

25 Agrees

edited May 7
    Scot said:

A picture just came into my head of a guy in a VR head set. "Attack!, Attack! Attack!, FFS Attack!" :) 
    Believe it or not, but Voice Attack is really good, specially if you keep it to short commands like "Landing Gear". But yeah, if you suddenly have a lot of noise in the room, like music, I guess that could happen :D

"Landing Gear"... "LANDING GEAR" ... "AAAAARGHHHH" (explosion sound) :D :D :D

Scotblueturtle13AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,746

What did you do to get that to work.

Elite is the only VR game that has gotten me sick.   And I can play some crazy disorienting game like Echo Arena and Windlands. 

Probably my most frustrating buy of a game in recent memory.
    Jean-Luc_Picard

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

edited May 7
    anemo said:

Elite is the only VR game that has gotten me sick.   And I can play some crazy disorienting game like Echo Arena and Windlands. 

If you're getting motion sickness from specific games, there's no real explanation...

Go figure, I've played thousands of hours of Minecraft without any problems, but when I watch Minecraft videos on YouTube, even in full screen like if I were playing, after a while I start feeling sick.

On what headset are you playing ?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,719
    Scot said:
    Siri, attack!

There is a snack shop 1.3 miles Northeast.

No not snack, attack!

Beer comes in packs of six.

Not packs. Attack, attack, attack!

I do not understand.

Kill the bishes! 

You can have three wishes.

Jean-Luc_Picardblueturtle13ScotNycteliosAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Reminds me of that Israeli Alfa Romeo advertisement...

blueturtle13JeffSpicoliAlBQuirky

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,992
    It is a really good game, i use a combination of keyboard and logitech flightstick (extreme 3d pro) which suits me perfectly, although i have to say that the game has significantly improved since the bbc micro! :p
    blueturtle13Jean-Luc_PicardAmathe
    Phry said:
    It is a really good game, i use a combination of keyboard and logitech flightstick (extreme 3d pro) which suits me perfectly, although i have to say that the game has significantly improved since the bbc micro! :p
    But is the gameplay any better? My first computer was the BBC Micro B, it played like a dream and I am not sure any space sim has flown or fought better since then. :)

25 Agrees

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,746
    anemo said:

If you're getting motion sickness from specific games, there's no real explanation...

Go figure, I've played thousands of hours of Minecraft without any problems, but when I watch Minecraft videos on YouTube, even in full screen like if I were playing, after a while I start feeling sick.

On what headset are you playing ?
    And Oculus.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Scot said:
    Phry said:
    But is the gameplay any better? My first computer was the BBC Micro B, it played like a dream and I am not sure any space sim has flown or fought better since then. :)
    Get it on steam... it's only $25 (or wait for a sale). You'll find out yourself.
    I'd definitely playable on a monitor with mouse and keyboard, even though the best is VR with a dedicated controller.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,256
    I really want to get into Elite Dangerous but the start has been so daunting every time. I think last time I tried, I got past the tutorial missions, then started out accepted a mission, instantly got lost trying to get there, ran out of fuel and couldn't figure out where to go after that. 

I heard there was a revamped new user tutorial, is this true?