Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 882
    I really wish casual and mainstream gamers would stop projecting their views and ideas on what gamers like.  You know what you and your kind like.  And you have no idea what people like outside of casual and mainstream gaming.

WoW original had actual meaty rpg systems geared towards adults - it had talents, skills, trying, and thinking.  No dual builds.  Most people could not afford to respect their talents all the time for different activities.  Most people didn't have the time build up huge sums of money, or play all day.  

And the best thing is WoW classic will not appeal to the people who did since they are mostly unemployed mainstream players and are too busy playing Fortnight and other mainstream shit to play a game because it is actually a good game rather than the current it thing.  No achievements will drive off another large group of idiots and kids.   Etc.

The people I dislike and do not want to play with will either not try this or move on quickly.  I truly hope this does not become some hip thing for all the mainstream and casual people, as that will be the only reason it deviates from being classic to having every loud mouth idiot and their brother screaming for it to become more and more modern wow.  

We should make a peace - all you guys stick to your BRs, survival games, and modern wow - and we'll stick to classic wow and other real mmorpgs.  You stop playing our games and telling us what we like and want, and we'll continue to silently be confused by all of you and we watch you in horror watch videos of other people playing video games and play games that utter crap and barely deserve the title of game, and definitely don't warrant the label of rpg.
    parrotpholkRicardo5802QuarterStackGaladourn
    DEXA88 said:
    The rest yes however the graphics will turn ppl away !

The right kind of people.  You say this like those kind of people being driven away will be a bad thing.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,021
    Siveria said:
    It should be fine, wow has not really changed all that much from classic, the base experence of the game is still about the same, the difference is how fast you can go thru it, was much slower paced in classic old wow.
    You mean the look has not changed much. The base experience has changed like day and night. I think that many players don't realise how many quality of life improvements WoW has received over the years.
    But hey, have fun grinding enough gold to be able to buy your recipes and spell upgrades. Have fun running out of bag space all the time, because every single thing has to go into your bags. Maybe you are lucky and can afford a mount when you are lvl60.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,302
    edited May 4
    The elephant in the room is the sub for Activision Blizzard. I can play nostalgic games that are free to play like Old School Runescape. I can play that on my mobile phone, I don't even need a computer these days. And it's F2P. I don't see how WoW Classic, which is an echo of the past, can get away with demanding a sub for "Classic" in this free to play modern day and age.
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 304

Riqqy82 said:

what if classic wow is the new expansion and everything we just went through was all the emerald dream

That would be awesome!
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,512
    nyxium said:
    The elephant in the room is the sub for Activision Blizzard. I can play nostalgic games that are free to play like Old School Runescape. I can play that on my mobile phone, I don't even need a computer these days. And it's F2P. I don't see how WoW Classic, which is an echo of the past, can get away with demanding a sub for "Classic" in this free to play modern day and age.
    My guess is they'll do a "unified" sub. Both Classic and Live will be under the same and you can access any server. It would be the wise approach because it helps hide specifics from the public. If Classic is crushing Live a unified sub will make it harder for critics to cite that. Likewise, if Classic flops after a bit a unified sub will help muddle that.

MadFrenchieJean-Luc_Picardblueturtle13
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    I think it will offer a bit of fun nostalgic enjoyment for the right demographic of gamers, but, it will wane away quickly, like all other attempts by game companies to return to basics.

But while it lasts, I hope those that have been wanting this.. enjoy it fully.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,867
    wait until paladin start asking for moar dps , or get tired of being a outside battle rez bot , or blessing every1 and start again because the 1 is dropping.... wait until druids want to go feral to tank , wait until shamans want to play ele ....wait until mages say that casting frostbolt for 2h isnt fun (raids) , wait until warlocks ask for more DOTS SLOTS , or tired of being the CoE bit1$!....wait until hunters ask for the removal of dead zone ....and we can go on and on....

Ungood
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 510
    FFXIV's Eureka proved that these are just rose-tinted glasses. Eureka played and felt similarly to FFXI, something people kept saying they wanted over and over and people disliked it almost immediately.

Give it a few weeks, maybe a few months and, once the rose-tinted glasses get forced off, Classic will begin to utterly fail, especially once people bother to realize that the game will pretty much be static [if Classic gets updates like the original game did, it won't be Classic anymore] permanently.
    Ungood
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,108
    well the basic math i guess suggest that with enough players there will always be a % that will go old school... and WoW does have the numbers to make that % viable.

I still do not think it will last but i honestly does not have a dog in the fight to so speak. I do not own any stock in Blizzard
    Torval

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

I'd love to know what type of player specifically the people who think classic will fail will attract that will hate it or lose interest quickly?

1) Obviously, there is a lot of projection, so it goes without saying you guys are not interested, or will give it a try between watching videos of other people playing Fortnight and whatever other hot "game" that is fun to watch other people play.

2) People into modern WoW and new games that the mainstream gamers and casuals love.  This is true since these people play (or more likely watch videos of other people play) modern WoW and all the popular mainstream casual games that are currently hot ticket items.  

3) Most children under 25 - this shouldn't need an explanation.  

I agree with these three groups ignoring, or trying and not lasting long in classic.  This argument would hold weight if this was the target market of classic.  It 100% isn't, so it is very poor and fallacious reasoning.  

But, are you guys considering the market this game is actually for?  How many millions of players used to play WoW but stopped at certain points because WoW stopped being WoW to them?  Because what they actually liked about the game was patched or expansioned out?  Like talent trees, skills, complexity, things to do that are worth doing - you know, the game part of the game?  Disenfranchised prior mmorpg players that have absolutely nothing to play currently and nothing to look forward to since mmorpgs now aren't.  Kids or people that missed early WoW but want an actual mmorpg experience with some depth and complexity.  Etc.  Basically, everyone but the majority of the populations of the three groups named above.

My biggest worry is classic will be too much of a hit and it will attract way too many people from the three named groups above because its a new hip thing and they'll feel pressure to play it, thus ruining the game for the actual target market of classic wow.  
    parrotpholk
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,835
    Torval said:
    nyxium said:
    My guess is they'll do a "unified" sub. Both Classic and Live will be under the same and you can access any server. It would be the wise approach because it helps hide specifics from the public. If Classic is crushing Live a unified sub will make it harder for critics to cite that. Likewise, if Classic flops after a bit a unified sub will help muddle that.

There is no need to guess at  it , Blizz stated that , that will be the business model for Classic long ago at Blizzcon 2018
    Torval
  • Ecthelion27Ecthelion27 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Well have any of you played BFA lately? Ghost towns, barely any1 in the world.

Classic will do good. Sure a lot of people will quit because Classic is meant for the people that loved Vanilla.

The demand came from those people, those people will play it. Thats the kind of players we need played Classic.

It all depends of course if they manage to not piss the #NOCHANGES crowd too much. I for one, do not like the idea of shardding in Classic, i hope they do it for the first weeks alone, when a lot of people will play it.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158

After seeing the beta? No way.

The other thing I don't get about these servers though is that there's no avoiding the inevitable progression/end of the ride. Eventually the game you're playing will become the retail version.....so why bother? And even if it never moved beyond X or Y point.....you're not going to get new content then......so why bother?

oh I don't know, for fun? EVERY game ends eventually. so why bother right?
    Jean-Luc_Picardbcbully
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member UncommonPosts: 393
    edited May 5
    btdt said:
    It will do as well as the Rift Progression server did...

The problem here is, if you played classic, you already know the game like the back of your hand.  It loses a lot of it's lustre because there is no wonder of the unknown.  Classic was about finding your way around, working your way around the bugs, figuring out different combinations of skills, and maximizing macros.

By the end of classic, players had figured out everything there was to know about the game to the nth detail.  These players are going to be playing it again knowing all that information this time around.  Hell, anyone has access to that information with the way back machine... every macro, every build, every little detail there is to know.

Regarding the the Rift comment... Ignoring the numerous examples of MMOs where classic/progression servers are successful, cherry-picking one that (presumably) isn't doing well, and asserting it as the model of how WoW's will perform is really dishonest. It's textbook confirmation bias.

The rest of the quoted part, and rest of your post by extension is, in a word, projection.

As I and others have stated, there is  and has been a notable demand for classic servers. The success of Nostalrius in particular proves this. That Blizzard decided to move forward with it, having been dismissive of it initially ("you think you do...") shows that they now see the potential in it as well. 

Questioning if people will accept all the "issues" you list on a classic server is absurd. There's already proof that they would, because many of them already have been. You have to be willfully ignorant, or completely out of the loop to not realize this.

This is why I say that it comes down not to whether or not a classic WoW server could succeed. It already has. The question to me is can Blizzard manage to not screw it up with their own.
    Galadourn
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 693
    While certainly not the same population level, EQ has been doing progression servers for years.

WOW can certainly do well depending on how they actually implement it.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, anything Dark Souls-like, Hearthstone, DDO
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Bring full loot or wither and die
    Galadournparrotpholk
  • SeidrSeidr Member UncommonPosts: 5
    "Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market?
    No. Overly romanticized niche for couple thousand players, till they get bored. Half-life in this zeitgeist seems to be two months.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Older players will be okay, but bringing in new players may take some adjustment.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/columns/can-classic-world-of-warcraft-hold-up-in-todays-market-1000013606#8hVXDaXzUW71yyzF.99

I can't see it lasting for very long. Blizzard should be fixing retail and/or coming up with a sequel not re releasing a 15 year old product
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,742
    edited May 5
    blamo2000 said:
    I really wish casual and mainstream gamers would stop projecting their views and ideas on what gamers like.  You know what you and your kind like.  And you have no idea what people like outside of casual and mainstream gaming.

WoW original had actual meaty rpg systems geared towards adults - it had talents, skills, trying, and thinking.  No dual builds.  Most people could not afford to respect their talents all the time for different activities.  Most people didn't have the time build up huge sums of money, or play all day.  

And the best thing is WoW classic will not appeal to the people who did since they are mostly unemployed mainstream players and are too busy playing Fortnight and other mainstream shit to play a game because it is actually a good game rather than the current it thing.  No achievements will drive off another large group of idiots and kids.   Etc.

The people I dislike and do not want to play with will either not try this or move on quickly.  I truly hope this does not become some hip thing for all the mainstream and casual people, as that will be the only reason it deviates from being classic to having every loud mouth idiot and their brother screaming for it to become more and more modern wow.  

We should make a peace - all you guys stick to your BRs, survival games, and modern wow - and we'll stick to classic wow and other real mmorpgs.  You stop playing our games and telling us what we like and want, and we'll continue to silently be confused by all of you and we watch you in horror watch videos of other people playing video games and play games that utter crap and barely deserve the title of game, and definitely don't warrant the label of rpg.
    Get of your high horse, you’re not making peace with anyone, you’re simply insulting the other group. Your bias and assumptions are a travesty and presenting your poorly disguised opinions as facts is laughable at best.

The people you talk about are 95% of the players out there, THEY are the gamers, not you. You are the minority, a loud and rude one to boot. Classic will fail to be the saviour of anything because the small demopgraphic they are targetting finds themselves way too important to see its just a niche project.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    blueturtle13RexKushmanparrotpholkblamo2000mbrodie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

jgDuffay said:

What market?

There are approximately 2.2 billion gamers in the world. Out of the estimated 7.6 billion people living on earth, as of July 2018, that means almost a third of people on this planet are gamers. Out of those 2.2 billion gamers, 1.2 billion of those who play games are playing games on a PC.

None of them will play a 2004 game, again. WoW classic is just for a niche of wow veterans, that probably will get bored after a few months or weeks.
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    lahnmir said:
    blamo2000 said:

Get of your high horse, you’re not making peace with anyone, you’re simply insulting the other group. Your bias and assumptions are a travesty and presenting your poorly disguised opinions as facts is laughable at best.

The people you talk about are 95% of the players out there, THEY are the gamers, not you. You are the minority, a loud and rude one to boot. Classic will fail to be the saviour of anything because the small demopgraphic they are targetting finds themselves way too important to see its just a niche project.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    He's 100% right. Nowhere did he claim we were a majority. We know the Fortnite mentality players are a majority. What he is saying is there is a large group of us that will play WoW classic and you low mentality BR players should just stay away, those servers aren't for you, we don't want you there, much like you don't want us playing your BR games.
    blamo2000
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,742
    edited May 5
    Blueliner said:
    lahnmir said:
    blamo2000 said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    He's 100% right. Nowhere did he claim we were a majority. We know the Fortnite mentality players are a majority. What he is saying is there is a large group of us that will play WoW classic and you low mentality BR players should just stay away, those servers aren't for you, we don't want you there, much like you don't want us playing your BR games.
    No, he is 100% wrong. He has this crazy assumption that casuals and mainstream gamers aren’t real gamers when in fact they are 95% of the audience and therefor are the actual real gamers. His dillusional snobism en eilitarian verbal vomit doesn’t help him building his case either and you suffer from that same disabity talking about ‘you’ this and ‘you’ that as if you are above any of that, especially that cute dig with ‘low mentality blablabla.’ Different folks, different strokes, but you are by no means better then others and that condecending attitude might actually prove the opposite. Get of the high horse.

I btw also love the BR assumption in your need to differentiate yourself, I hate BR games. I did however raid 3 nights a week in vanilla for 2 years straight and will actually be playing Classic with an ot tank shammy. Assumptions, silly things they are.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    blamo2000Torvalmbrodie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,798
    Simply looking at the number of comments this thread has, is indicative of the interest Classic WoW still sparks to the gaming community...
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Galadourn said:
    Simply looking at the number of comments this thread has, is indicative of the interest Classic WoW still sparks to the gaming community...
    Of course as you cannot deny the cultural phenom that classic WOW was up until WotLK. 
    Galadourn