Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Classic World of Warcraft Hold Up in Today's Market? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I think there are far more players no longer playing WoW who want a classic server than there are current subscribers that want a classic server.

Given that Classic is NOT free, it's included with a current sub, I'm not sure how many people are prepared to pay a full sub for a 14 year old game. I think they'd get a bigger uptake if they offered a Classic only sub at a reduced price. We'll have to wait and see.
    [Deleted User]
  • missegan24missegan24 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Played on a private server last year for about 6 months. Got to 60, raided. Absolutely loved every second of it. Only reason why I stopped was because the private server company created another server and everyone left.

Very much looking forward to Classic. It was a completely different game. Even in the private server the community was THERE and thriving. Guild members knew each other by name. Can't imagine how incredible its going to be on an official, and stable, server.
    [Deleted User]Palebane
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    I'm sure it will be profitable but long term I think it will sink back into obscurity. I'm basing this on my recent experience with the new Cox servers. I was chuffed to wade through the character creator, arguably the best part of the game, but then when I tried out a few archetypes for a couple of hours I began to remember why I left Cox for greener pastures. The older MMORPGS were just too damned tedious and repetitive to hold my attention today. I had some brilliant times back in classic Wow, but it wasn't really the game that made those memories special, it was the people I was playing with. That is something Blizzard can't replicate no matter how hard they try.
    But again, what about the people who don't find them tedious?

Those are the people who want these games.

Let's take City of Heroes. There was a private server for years. The people on that server were certainly not playing because they thought the game was tedious.

It's these people, whether it's City of Heroes or World of Warcraft who are the audience for these games.
    Sure there are people out there who won't find the game tedious. But I highly doubt there will be Fortnite numbers of people who feel that way. While there certainly are people who still want to play these older games, they are a drop in the bucket when compared to the mainstream gaming population. 
    I don't think anyone, even Classic fans and Blizzard, expect Fortnite numbers.

I doubt they expect ESO numbers.

For those folks and Blizzard (by their own statements) they just need enough folks to play the game with others.
    Yes, and that's been my point this entire conversation. In TODAY'S gaming market, classic Wow is going a be a niche game, it isn't going to do much to help Blizzard get out of the economic downturn they are currently facing.
    I agree, and I hope Blizzard wasn't leaning on Classic to help with their outlook.  This project was always a niche fan-love project.

Honestly, it would've probably been a better idea for them to just license a private server and keep strict rules on it, instead.  Less manpower needed for a project that isn't going to be something shareholders look at fondly.
    [Deleted User]Palebane

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    edited May 2019
    Simply put - No.

Why? Because we live in a day an age of the now generation of gamers where they want things to come easy, they want things to come quick, and they want things to come NOW. If they don't, hell freezes over and shit hits the fan with gamers screaming waaaaaaaah mommy this is too hard, or waaaaahhhh mommy this is too long to do and guess what happens? Devs cave in and accompany those crying and make things super easy.

There is ZERO sense of accomplishment in this current generation of mmo's. Zero, all because of how ridiculous things are now to accomplish and acquire. There is ZERO sense of community and communcation within said mmo's between players actually learning about fellow players. It's a sad sad state and I think its the sole reason why MMO's have been stagnant the last 10 or so years.
  • dekkion1dekkion1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    well they did this cause you guys asked them too!!!.
    lol dont complain about it now. i remeber vanilla wow like it was yesterday and ya i did play in wows first open beta..ya years ago!!!!!
    its almost 2020 folks time to move ahead. imagine  wow with a directx12 engine updated graffix 
    well....thats what you want well.....rite.
    or in VR....vanilla wow is gonna be soo epic but sooo boring lol watch and see.

gammer 4 life
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Hold up in the Market??
    LOL

It IS Blizzards Market today.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Ahh, Getting my Hunter Class Weapon. Longs nights and lots of work. Good memories. Our guilds first kills in Molten Core and BWL. Yea, good memories. I'll keep the memories. Sometimes going back can tarnish the memory =)
    TacticalZombeh
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

That saying that you can never go back comes to mind. You cannot go back and recapture that feeling you had when you first played classic. Nor can you go back and ignore the QoL issues that were present or some of the more tedious gameplay mechanics that faked depth. There are some awesome things to go back and see for sure and I think for 6-12 months it will be very successful at least until the content dries up.

People already complain that leveling an alt takes to long. They have no idea what it was like. I think it burns bright for a bit then falls to a smaller community that will keep a few realms going but that will be it.

I enjoyed leveling in vanilla and enjoyed doing it on the retro server . . whatever that was called. I remember getting pets as a hunter that were unique. . having to find trainers. . getting warlock pets. etc. Levelling was not the point for me then. With Wow the way it is today it is hard to not focus on levelling. I should add though that I was on a PvP server where we would fight at the tower in Westfall. . or a few other out of the way locations. Good times :)

I agree that people who maybe didn't play it then might not like it. I am likely a small minority. I felt that the first expansion ruined the game. The QoL things where also positive in some ways. . having to tame your first pet. . having to get a key for that one gate so you didn't have to travel around. . it felt like an accomplishment. Fast travel shrunk the world for me. . I like the slow burn.. again. . likely not the majority. I will sub and pay. I don't know for how long since I only ever made it to level 40ish. Alt aholic.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Every time I see an article or thread about this all I can think of is a greasy tween yelling at me 'Your fun is wrong!'

Why is it so difficult to accept that this may actually be a thing people enjoy? Do you think that if this becomes popular it somehow invalidates all the hours you spent in the current retail version? It doesn't. Different people are allowed to like different things. 

A ton of people on here LOATHE turn-based games and are baffled that they not only exist but can actually thrive. Yet they're my favorite type of combat. I will enjoy Classic WoW. Whether that's for a week or years we will see. However, my enjoyment or disappointment of it does not add or subtract from you, what you like, or your experiences past and future.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    lahnmir said:
    I keep saying it but they should take Classic and start developing from there. New classes, new content, expansions etc. to get an alternative version of WoW running next to the current one. I would be all over it, they could do so much cool stuff...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That would be much more to my tastes.  Start with the basic ideas, and put some new concepts in there.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    I think for anyone who has doubts surely it is best to look at the evidence? Has any classic server on any other MMORPG not been a success? I think they all have been, WoW Classic will as well.
    Xarko
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I think it would leap right past ESO and FFXIV easily.
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited May 2019
    Only has to last 2 years, then TBC will come out. I'm sure I can get 2 years of play out of Classic easily with my play schedule and I know I will enjoy it with the little time I put into the emulators. Here ya go Blizz, 360 bucks, ya want it up front? It's been a LONG time since they got my sub money. OMG, something worth playing again, I can't wait!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The Classic servers will be the highest Pop servers Wow has for at least 10 months , will give them a generous surge in sub numbers , now what they do to reatain as much as they can will depend on what they do with those servers they need to do introduce some things different without straying to far from a Vanilla feel ...
    mbrodie
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,499
    So this isn't suppose to be a progression type of thing as that wouldn't be Classic. I see a few post here or there saying things like that. This is what I personally think will do them in. Once people realize there is no new content coming, there isn't anything more being added, will they stay. I got the feeling they will not be able to keep the populations like they did when it launched the first time. Gaming is a different beast now. I wish luck to all those that want this, I lost my rose tinted glasses a long time ago though. There isn't really a way for me to get that feeling back from when I first played the game no matter how many classic servers they launch.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited May 2019
    I'll come back after a 10 year break if they put it in VR for the upcoming Oculus Quest or Oculus Rift S :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited May 2019
    duplicate

There Is Always Hope!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZakhyraZakhyra Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    One word: Naxxramas

Do not underestimate the # of people that want to climb that mountain. the least finished raid in wow history, majority of players havent even stepped foot inside it. after naxx, who knows. but until then, they will come.
  • xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    The biggest thing I liked about classic was the old talent trees. I used to love leveling and then adding points into the tree. It made each level feel special because you could spend a point for the trees.
    blamo2000

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Nothing can recreate the moments when you first played Classic, you just can't

It's different, MMO community in 2005 will never be the same in 2019, you may capture the nostalgia, but the community is way more toxic than in 2005

So What Now?

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Imo Classic will fail and it will certanly not bring in much needed new blood.
    Palebane
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    xion12121 said:
    The biggest thing I liked about classic was the old talent trees. I used to love leveling and then adding points into the tree. It made each level feel special because you could spend a point for the trees.
    Indeed, and also getting small upgrades or even rares is some of the games best moments.
  • TeralodTeralod Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I think there will be no problems with online. People are waiting for the return of vanilla for a long time.
    blamo2000
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    LOL, well there is the fact this post was made today and its already 5 pages long, so that tells you something, then on top of that, we have people saying no way, and we have people saying hell yeah, so im going to say that its going to be a huge success rather half the player base likes it or not or whatever percentage do, the funny thing is most of the people who played it say its going to be great, and most the people who havent played it say its going to be bad, this tells me 100% of the people are going to load it up, and then my friends the truth will come to light.
    blamo2000