Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO's and video games should novels be made for?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Also, what are some good video game books that are already out there. 

I've read:
1) Starcraft
2) Halo
3) Witcher series but didn't like them after the 2nd or 3rd book 

and that's about it. I tried a diablo one but didn't get past the first few pages or so. 

I also think there could be books in the ESO lore. I also think a borderlands would be funny. 

What are some good ones?
What novels should be made into existing games?
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Well there are a ton of Forgotten Realms books out there, that a games like Neverwinter and Dungeons and Dragons Online use for world building. DDO also used Eberron and Ravenloft, which have their own books as well.

Which, the good thing about those games, is the game is based on the book, as opposed to it being the other way around, so the books will give you a far more vast and deep world than the games will provide. But reading the books will also give insight into the world the game is built upon.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Ungood said:
    Well there are a ton of Forgotten Realms books out there, that a games like Neverwinter and Dungeons and Dragons Online use for world building. DDO also used Eberron and Ravenloft, which have their own books as well.

Which, the good thing about those games, is the game is based on the book, as opposed to it being the other way around, so the books will give you a far more vast and deep world than the games will provide. But reading the books will also give insight into the world the game is built upon.
    I've read a ton of Forgotten Realms books, almost all the drizzt series, and a few others. Good stuff. Dragonlance was legendary. 

But any more recent ones?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    There's plenty of Warhammer 40k and fantasy novels to go along with your Dawn of War and Total War gameplay.

The Horus Heresy series in 40k is a good read. I didn't particularly like the Dawn of War novel tie ins.

In Fantasy I enjoyed The Sundering series about the elven civil war.

The Von Carstein and Nagash trilogies were good. If you're an undead fan now is a good time to read them to try and wash away the bad taste that Game of Thrones has left.

Eve Empyrean Age and Templar One are pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited May 2019
    This is a cool, backwards question! Usually, it's all about what books should be made into games :)

I can't think of anything specific, so I'll ramble a bit and see what pops into my head. Lore is the base. A game with good lore and great world building in place would be a nominee for me. No new games seem to have either of these, with some exceptions. Vanilla World of Warcraft seems to have a good bit of lore and adventure in that world could be interesting. I think The Elder Scrolls games could be interesting and I'm struggling, but think they may have book(s) already. I could be wrong on that :)

I was never really into The Forgotten Realms D&D world, but DragonLance is awesome! I even bought the AD&D DragonLance world box set :)

The Fallout series could be interesting, too. Post-Apocalyptic alternative America could have great possibilities. Kingdom Come: Deliverance come to mind, though I'm not too sure about it.

I think EverQuest could make some good reading, with it's own rich lore and world. My faulty memory is showing again as I think there may have been an EQ book or more.

PS: Wasn't the Witcher video game based on the book(s), thus the legal fracas with the author? I'm not positive, so that's why I'm asking.
    GilcroixVermillion_Raventhal

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    AlBQuirky said:

I think EverQuest could make some good reading, with it's own rich lore and world. My faulty memory is showing again as I think there may have been an EQ book or more.

While EQNext was being "developed", they released several "novellas".    They were using them for worldbuilding, so it's a different spin on the lore.  They are all fairly short, but entertaining enough.

I don't know of any books based around the older EQ games in the series, but I'm hardly an expert.

AlBQuirky
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    ARK could make for some cool graphic novels with lots of dinosaur art.
    AlBQuirky
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Here is one list of EQ books:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/everquest
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    I wish this series hadn't died at book one. It was an OK SW book, but not anywhere near the best Star Wars book. I do however think the series could have gotten better and I feel like there was more story to tell had they continued it.

AlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Take a 3D graphically enhanced video game with voice overs,animations,ART and turn it into paper pages and typed words...WHY?
    Instead i would rather flip it the other way around,take boring books and turn them into something visually enhanced with sound bringing immersion to life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Personally I would love to see books from The Secret World.  I think they have a whole lot of interesting material they could explore.

AlBQuirky
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Legacy of Kain series. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung