Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic - The Coming Onslaught - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

imageStar Wars: The Old RepublicThe Coming Onslaught - MMORPG.com

You may have missed it among all the other awesome Star Wars announcements at this year’s Celebration, but BioWare did unveil Star Wars: The Old Republic’s next expansion at the event and they’re calling it Onslaught. It was a curiously low key announcement and there still isn’t a trailer to be found, but Onslaught is coming in September and I’m glad that we’re getting it. Let’s dig in.

Read the full story here

Post edited by SBFord on
Hatefull

Comments

• AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I think it is quite interesting for old SW fans. I'm not sure young fans play SWTOR.
    Maddog666
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

OG_Zorvan said:

I think it is quite interesting for old SW fans. I'm not sure young fans play SWTOR.

I'm 46 and a SW fan. How much older do I have to be before I'm interested?  :D

Really? You look older in your avatar pic.
    ScotSovrath[Deleted User]AwakenWarriorHJ-NavarreMaddog666HatefullGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I'm 46 and a SW fan. How much older do I have to be before I'm interested?  :D
    Give it ten years. :)
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited May 2019

Not true Pal the new Star Wars movies with Poe Damerack , Kylo Ren , Rose Taco & Daisy Ridley have attracted a whole new generation of fans, Just look at this kid go

Xarko[Deleted User]Maddog666HatefullGorwe
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49

Not true Pal the new Star Wars movies with Poe Damerack , Kylo Ren , Rose Taco & Daisy Ridley have attracted a whole new generation of fans, Just look at this kid go

And how many of these new fans play SWTOR? They don't prefer SW Battlefront II?

I was being silly , but yes you are correct
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• BonejokerBonejoker Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I am between swtor or teso T,T
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Elite: Dangerous
    edited May 2019

Bonejoker said:

I am between swtor or teso T,T

SWTOR if you want story and more of a single player theme park experience TESO if you want more of a open theme park multiplayer experience
    BonejokeralkarionlogAlomarMaurgrim
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Y'all just "reminded" us "Onslaught is coming" 2 days ago https://www.mmorpg.com/star-wars-the-old-republic/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-onslaught-details-revealed-1000052343. I promise, most of us take at least a week to forget things. Edit: Although, out of fairness, I will concede SWtOR is pretty forgettable now days.
    actually I give a hour till I forget about this game again
    NorseGodPalebane[Deleted User]
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWTOR did a lot better with Corellia then SWG did. SWG just made it a standard city. So I suppose their version was a big step up.

Does SWTOR still offer a catch-up mechanic? I think the last time I played they didn't with their last update.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

SWTOR did a lot better with Corellia then SWG did. SWG just made it a standard city. So I suppose their version was a big step up.

Does SWTOR still offer a catch-up mechanic? I think the last time I played they didn't with their last update.

SWG was never about the default cities but the player made ones. The default cities only serves as hub for starport.

2 different kind of games.
    Hatefull
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

SWG was never about the default cities but the player made ones. The default cities only serves as hub for starport.

Ahhh, player cities. Yes I do remember that was a thing.
    Hatefull

Ahhh, player cities. Yes I do remember that was a thing.

That game had some great ideas. It was a great adventure. I've had good times in both games really.
    Hatefull

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Now it's about the politics and selling the toys.
    JeffSpicoli

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Now it's about the politics and selling the toys.
    Their problem is they are not selling toys.  TLJ tanked for toy sales and cost Disney big time.
    Octagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    One of the best MMOS for story but it struggles to feel like a living world. It is not just a great single player experience, as always a guild makes for a better MMO.
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    If they dont let ALL force users have the most basic of force powers; push, pull, hold/choke, im not coming back in september. And for the love of the force, stop with the bounty hunters must use a pistol because boba fett existed. Ridiculous design choices. No excuse for smugglers and BH to be republic and empire either.
    RoinOctagon7711

Gorwe said:

I'm one of the biggest SWTOR fans here(probably) and this is my evaluation:

Just play the 1-50 stories. Those are worth it. Also try to record them or something. Everything else is just average, quite unfortunately. Ok, Huttball's cool I guess.

The class stories were their strongest content and I still replay some of my favorite ones every once in awhile.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Game still has a very healthy population. Was on tonight and a middle planet story wise, Hoth. Level 40ish. I was in the 6th instance which means 5 others were filled. One of the beginning planets on the Imperial side, Korriban was maxed at had a small que this evening on my server.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I like the game play of SWTOR, but what kills me and makes me not play anymore is that many of the armors look like crap and the good ones are in loot boxes it seems (for my tastes).  I am a collector.  It is what keeps me in WoW.  I like going back and collecting armor, weapons, mounts, etc.  Not gambling for it or just raising cash in hopes someone is selling  it for outrageous amounts of money in the auction house.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

Game still has a very healthy population. Was on tonight and a middle planet story wise, Hoth. Level 40ish. I was in the 6th instance which means 5 others were filled. One of the beginning planets on the Imperial side, Korriban was maxed at had a small que this evening on my server.

Easy to have a healthy population on a f2p game that can basically run on low end rigs. A lot of broke/bored people out there. Fact is the game is awful. Only reason it is still floating is the Star Wars IP.
    Star Wars Galaxies was easily 100x the game SWTOR is.

I go into SWTOR and cant help but notice that its just an empty world with no soul. Go to Cantina's no one is there. No reason to be. Just a bunch of Theme park loving 12 year olds running from one irrelevant quest zone to the next.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited May 2019
    SWG died in the era where mmorpgs were new and exciting. In this day and age it would have been completely ignored.
    SW:TOR for all it's faults managed to survive and still be relevant today.

This is basically the same "WoW is a horrible mmorpg" argument with different protagonists but similar outcomes.
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I don't think anything Star Wars related gets ignored. And your comparison could not be less accurate. Considering WoW was actually good for its time and I am looking forward to Classic.. I pre-ordered SWTOR and quit within 3 weeks. It just simply is not a good game in my opinion. Not that I was looking for an SWG clone, but I was at least hoping for some immersive game play.

I feel bad trashing a Star Wars game on May the 4th. But god damn.
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

Xasapis said:

SWG died in the era where mmorpgs were new and exciting. In this day and age it would have been completely ignored.

This is basically the same "WoW is a horrible mmorpg" argument with different protagonists but similar outcomes.

Not true, it has not survived. SWTOR was dead on it's release, the game engine was already outdated back then. Now, the only serious updates are those in the Cartel Shop. Current EA's priority is to monetize what's left as much as possible before shutting the game off before the SW license expires.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    sipu said:

Xasapis said:

Not true, it has not survived. SWTOR was dead on it's release, the game engine was already outdated back then. Now, the only serious updates are those in the Cartel Shop. Current EA's priority is to monetize what's left as much as possible before shutting the game off before the SW license expires.
    One game sees development, no matter how slow, the other does not exist any more. I'd call that survival just fine. If you'd argue that the game should have seen more than just survival and slow development, with an IP as strong as the SW (despite the Disney missteps), I'd agree with you.