Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you have backed CU if you knew it would take this long?

12345679»

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Crowdfunding is not a pre-order. You put money into an idea/project and you should be prepared for it to fail, take longer than anticipated or completely change along the way. That's how it works.

You pay to help someone start a journey without a certain destination or ETA.
    You're helping on a goodwill  because YOU decided to. You're not entitled to nothing else after that. If you're not ok with that stay the F away from crowdfunding.
    WTF? A post of yours which I agree with everything you said?
    It's the end of the world as we know it...

I've been saying this same thing for years in the Star Citizen thread, somehow people still like to blame others instead of owning their mistakes or expectations.
    My only point of order is long ago and far away these indie dev leads all made promises they couldn't keep and they should well have known so, wasn't their first rodeo.

I can't blame any of the backers who believed in them as they just seemed so sincere at the time...but now we know better, right?

We are all still waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive......maybe next year.
    Sure you could feel some sympathy for their loss and frustration, they backed with the best (for them) intentions after all.  But those who wont own their part of the mistake  and become toxic for years on end you can't help but feel they had it coming.
    Kyleran
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Axxar said:
    Big MMOs like WoW took 5 years to develop. So while I could see them developing the game faster than a content heavy MMO, I was not convinced of the 2-year claim.
    ...so your basis is a comparison to single AAA dev studio making entirely different type of MMO 15 years ago and from that comparison, you somehow came up with supposedly reasonable expectation, yet the only connection between the two is just that they are MMOs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Crowdfunding is not a pre-order. You put money into an idea/project and you should be prepared for it to fail, take longer than anticipated or completely change along the way. That's how it works.

You're helping on a goodwill  because YOU decided to. You're not entitled to nothing else after that. If you're not ok with that stay the F away from crowdfunding.

I've been saying this same thing for years in the Star Citizen thread, somehow people still like to blame others instead of owning their mistakes or expectations.
    My only point of order is long ago and far away these indie dev leads all made promises they couldn't keep and they should well have known so, wasn't their first rodeo.

I can't blame any of the backers who believed in them as they just seemed so sincere at the time...but now we know better, right?

Sure you could feel some sympathy for their loss and frustration, they backed with the best (for them) intentions after all.  But those who wont own their part of the mistake  and become toxic for years on end you can't help but feel they had it coming.
    I think you might find the most "toxic" complainers usually aren't scorned backers but do so for entirely different reasons.  >:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Update.

I backed Crowfall, and I kinda lost track of what they are doing these days. Figure when they are done, they will be done.

Right now, I have other games to play.
    18 more months, always just another 18 more months....
    **Shrug**

Like I said.. I have other games I am playing, just call me when it's done.
    KyleranSovrath
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:

I think you might find the most "toxic" complainers usually aren't scorned backers but do so for entirely different reasons.  >:)
    Yeah these "special snowflakes" are so well known that they turned into a meme:

Just a special variation of the Angry Gamer. With extra salt but the same low self esteem.

Ungood
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Gdemami said:
    Axxar said:
    Big MMOs like WoW took 5 years to develop. So while I could see them developing the game faster than a content heavy MMO, I was not convinced of the 2-year claim.
    ...so your basis is a comparison to single AAA dev studio making entirely different type of MMO 15 years ago and from that comparison, you somehow came up with supposedly reasonable expectation, yet the only connection between the two is just that they are MMOs.

Omg! You said something other than "lol". I feel so proud for you, you are really coming out of your shell, congratulations!!! 
    YashaX said:
    Gdemami said:
    Axxar said:

Omg! You said something other than "lol". I feel so proud for you, you are really coming out of your shell, congratulations!!! 
    Stunt double I'm thinking.

;)
    YashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    See, I've not backed/donated/supported with monetary denominations any form of MMO as I was raised to value the money I possessed since I worked hard to obtain it. I think it depends on a lot of aspects, for most, they keep repeating the same mistakes having never learnt their lesson, or they don't place as much value in their currency and feel they should throw it away to these "professional developers" who promise them the world. If everyone would be a little more frugal with their money, perhaps these "developers" wouldn't crowdfund. It would have a profound impact on the game industry, and perhaps even reset it to go through the old ways that games were made.

Developer comes up with concept, begins working prototype, pitches prototype and concept to publishers/investors, game either A) receives funding with a deadline set forth by investors/publishers or risk their work going unfinished and all future investments withdrawn or B) game is not funded, developers continue to try and find an investor or cancels the project.

Was it a bad system? I can't say for certain, I seem to recall a great deal of fun/enjoyable games that were released prior to this crowdfunding non-sense. On the flip side, I've enjoyed several games that were a product of crowdfunding, even though I didn't initially back/support said games (I.E. Divinity Original Sin 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker). 

To answer the question of the thread, I have not invested/backed/donated to CU, nor would I unless it was feature complete/going gold and they were merely ironing out small bugs with the release date coming within the next 3-6 months. I waited almost eight years for Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord, and the first day it was available to purchase, I paid for it. The reason behind it, whilst seemingly contradictory to my entire post, is that TaleWorlds was very transparent about what was being included in their "Early Access" form of the game, and at it's base, it has all the same features of their previous title plus some extras, with improved graphics/combat engine to boot. Also, TaleWorlds is a humble company that has not proven to be shady unlike some bigger names in the industry. 

I remember the blunder that was Warhammer Online, and seeing Mark Jacobs' name attached to CU was an instant negative. After the terrible affront committed with Warhammer Online, even if CU is the game I've been searching for/waiting for, I will gladly wait until it's actually released if at all, before "donating" or "investing" in the product.
    Gdemami
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I remember the blunder that was Warhammer Online, and seeing Mark Jacobs' name attached to CU was an instant negative. After the terrible affront committed with Warhammer Online, even if CU is the game I've been searching for/waiting for, I will gladly wait until it's actually released if at all, before "donating" or "investing" in the product.
    I don't understand the hate for Warhammer online, I thought it was an awesome and innovative RvR mmo. And if you check out return of reckoning - which is essentially the same game - its packed with players.
    YashaX said:

I don't understand the hate for Warhammer online, I thought it was an awesome and innovative RvR mmo. 
    It wasn't DAOC 2, which right or wrong many people expected it to be.

Being pushed out the door early didn't help improve player's moods either. 

meddyck

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    YashaX said:

I don't understand the hate for Warhammer online, I thought it was an awesome and innovative RvR mmo. And if you check out return of reckoning - which is essentially the same game - its packed with players.

It launched way too soon and was incomplete. Tiers 1 and 2 were amazing. PQ system was very cool and innovative for its time. Still my favorite pvp mmo to this day. End-game was non existent. MJ kept making promises and never delivered.

Yes, emus are popular right now because there are little options. Everybody has played everything and they all pretty much play the same. 1)Solo grind all the way to max level, 2)pvp/raid until geared 3)quit 4)start new game/rinse/repeat.

A major MMO hasn't released since 2014.
    Kyleran
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited May 2020
    Gdemami said:
    Axxar said:

Thanks. And my rough guess was more accurate by several years than the developer‘s own, at that.
  • BitterbonesBitterbones Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Getting old sucks, Im starting to wonder if I will have any dexterity left to play it by the time this releases.  No, I wouldnt have backed if I knew it would take this long.  I'm not even sure I will be playing it when it does release, since I don't game much anymore except some turn based stuff.
    meddyck
  • PDFSPDFS Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I posted earlier in this thread about how this was the horse I had bet on, and if none of the horses finish the race I still felt good about making my choice.

After the announcement of Ragnarok, I was very angry. I shitposted in the discord a bit and got the expected white knighting in response, but I didn't refund at the time because I thought I was letting my rage get the better of me.

Months later, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get that refund. Like the poster above, I'm getting older. When I backed, I was a single shift worker with sometimes 8-10 days of downtime. Now I've got a wife, regular full-time hours, and a kid on the way. By the time this game drops in the next 2-10 years, I'm not gonna have the time to MMO in the way I used to. My disappointment is immense. I really wanted to play CU, but I truly don't think I will ever get the chance.

I can't believe I have this problem.
    meddyck