Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jagex Achieves Record Financial Highs Thanks to RuneScape Membership & OSR Mobile - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageJagex Achieves Record Financial Highs Thanks to RuneScape Membership & OSR Mobile - MMORPG.com

Jagex has achieved its fourth record-breaking year in a row with revenue growing over 9% and profits rising 3.8%. According to the press announcement, the record results were achieved due to "the RuneScape franchise achieving its highest ever paid membership total and Old School RunesCape's launch on iOS and Android".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,370
    RuneScape is the mmorpg that is most forgotten when people talk about mmos. It remains one of the most important mmorpgs ever made. Grats to them and their continued success.
    MensurXerromace

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 921

RuneScape is the mmorpg that is most forgotten when people talk about mmos. It remains one of the most important mmorpgs ever made. Grats to them and their continued success.

Word!

Proud MMORPG.com member since 2009! 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,640
    It also goes to show that there are still people who like "old school" games.

Runescape's animations aren't "good" they are passable. The game play is slow. Yet people play it and apparently a decent amount of people.

It's this type of example that gives me hope for new mmo's in the works that are "old school."
    blueturtle13Xerromace
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,370
    Sovrath said:

Runescape's animations aren't "good" they are passable. The game play is slow. Yet people play it and apparently a decent amount of people.

It's this type of example that gives me hope for new mmo's in the works that are "old school."
    Perhaps but the things that make Runescape such an endearing game and help with its longevity none of the newer 'old' mmorpgs will have. (at least at launch)
     Skill system instead of just picking a class
     the questing is unique
    it's a browser game
    f2p
    plus the economy is vast and well implemented

Im not saying games like Pantheon and SoL wont find an audience but I think they will struggle to maintain even a respectable base 6 months to a year in. Time will tell I guess. 
    Panther2103

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,569

Sovrath said:

Perhaps but the things that make Runescape such an endearing game and help with its longevity none of the newer 'old' mmorpgs will have. (at least at launch)
     the questing is unique
    it's a browser game
    f2p

Im not saying games like Pantheon and SoL wont find an audience but I think they will struggle to maintain even a respectable base 6 months to a year in. Time will tell I guess. 

Plus the way PvP works with the wilderness and risk / reward.

Also the way Jagex runs the game tends to be very player driven, they ask what people want, do polls and implement what people vote for, or change things based on the votes.

Another thing that really helps kind of goes hand in hand with the skills like you mentioned, with the oldschool server (which has 3 to 4 times the amount of players as the main game) they have Ironman modes where you cannot trade with other players, or Deadman modes plus the tournaments that go with them.

It's crazy how populated the game stays, and the mobile implementation is great. I can lay in bed and level up mining, or kill things for a couple hours. It's fun.
    blueturtle13
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,640
    Sovrath said:

the questing is unique
    it's a browser game
    f2p

But are those things, other than free to play really the reason?

Not everyone likes skill systems. Or even care. 
    I can't comment on the questing system.

In this day and age I don't really see it being a browser game having an advantage for such an old game. I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot of hard drive space if it was a downloadable game.

Economy could be a selling point but that's touch to tell. I would say if it has a robust economy that would probably be a good reason it is successful.

Still, when one hears complaints about Pantheon, for example, it's "combat is slow", "animations need to be better", "People today aren't going to play such a slow game", "graphics need to be better .... "

But looking at Runescape combat, the animations, the graphics, they aren't all that.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,569
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

the questing is unique
    it's a browser game
    f2p

But are those things, other than free to play really the reason?

Not everyone likes skill systems. Or even care. 
    I can't comment on the questing system.

In this day and age I don't really see it being a browser game having an advantage for such an old game. I'm sure it wouldn't take a lot of hard drive space if it was a downloadable game.

Economy could be a selling point but that's touch to tell. I would say if it has a robust economy that would probably be a good reason it is successful.

Still, when one hears complaints about Pantheon, for example, it's "combat is slow", "animations need to be better", "People today aren't going to play such a slow game", "graphics need to be better .... "

But looking at Runescape combat, the animations, the graphics, they aren't all that.

I don't know anyone who plays Runescape on a free to play account. While it is certainly doable, leveling skills in Free to Play sucks because you are locked out of certain areas that tend to be way better for leveling skills, and also lose access to some quests / gear that might make it an easier experience. 

The skills really do make a lot of players play the game. A lot of them take a grind similar to older Lineage 2 level grind, and you get that feeling of accomplishment (even if it isn't accomplishing anything). 
    Sovrath
  • TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 620
    As someone who has had an account since March, 2006 with 315 days (7560 hours logged), beaten ssliskes endgame quest, achieved over 15 99's. I am happy that the game which sunk my grades, and took most of my teenage life from me is still around. So many great times- and yet I cannot help but be sad at the current state of things.

The success is due to OldSchool and not the main Runescape 3 game. OldSchool (in case you aren't aware) is basically a classic version of Runescape which is frozen in time around the year 2007. I had the chance to play 2007, and absolutely loved it then. I got to play 2008 scape, 2009, 2010, 2011, and so on. 2012 was my personal favorite- right before the release of Evolution of Combat. Then everything fell apart- and so did the playerbase because of those massive combat changes which ripped the heart and reason why so many played.

Evolution of Combat is reason why OldSchool exists in the first place. Less than 30,000 people play Runescape 3 right now; (their flagship title) while over 70,000 people play OldSchool. (Actively shown numbers; probably far more play than that) You can tell that the passion behind RS3 has died- and most of it sits behind OSRS now. RS3 only pushes MTX content, and constantly tries to sell bonds, keys, and other things to grab at your wallet. It's sad- and pretty disgusting.

Just take a look at emails that players receive. Desperation to make a quick buck: A 301 frame loop; that goes on for 5 minutes to mislead urgency to buy into things: https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/bhd9a5/hey_jagex_again_this_isnt_exclusive_for_me_and/

All these emails are now being filtered in gmail now.

Runescape 3 development has pretty much stopped entirely, and I personally blame the project Lead. Mod Osbourne for leading RS3 into the ground. I almost want to say that ever since he became project lead- MTX has grown- and virtually no new content has come to RS3 in a very long time. Everything that was suppose to come to RS3 has been canceled or shelved; my guess is because of mobile development which is likely hamstringing development (requiring them to put down more development time to ensure new content works for the desktop client / mobile)

- Someone in here said Runescape is a Browser game- but that's false. Runescape has switched to Client based a long time ago- and the entire game is stored onto your computer now.

I'm glad they are seeing finnacial success- but very sad at the way they are going about earning it all- by pushing more MTX down everyone's throats; in super shady and disgusting ways. I feel like the Project Lead needs to go- he's leading RS3 down the drain.