Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOD 16 The End of Neverwinter. Lead Desinger failed..

2

Comments

  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,345
    Nebless said:
    Tried DDO a few months ago...Wouldn't even let me go anywhere or do anything...Everything was blocked off to the free players and demanded a sub so I left.
    WHAT?  Are you sure you actually tried the game?  8 F2p lvl 1 dungeons plus a wilderness zone, 18 F2p lvl 2 dungeons, 9 F2p lvl 3 dungeons plus a wilderness zone, 7 F2p lvl 4 dungeons etc... etc...

    While a pain, leveling up to max level is doable for a free to play player.
    So I went to a questgiver and he gave me a quest for a level 1 dungeon. When I got to the dungeon, it said you have to have a sub to enter it. Tried another one, same thing. Had no interest in trying again and again.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    edited May 2019
    Nebless said:
    Tried DDO a few months ago...Wouldn't even let me go anywhere or do anything...Everything was blocked off to the free players and demanded a sub so I left.
    WHAT?  Are you sure you actually tried the game?  8 F2p lvl 1 dungeons plus a wilderness zone, 18 F2p lvl 2 dungeons, 9 F2p lvl 3 dungeons plus a wilderness zone, 7 F2p lvl 4 dungeons etc... etc...

    While a pain, leveling up to max level is doable for a free to play player.
    So I went to a questgiver and he gave me a quest for a level 1 dungeon. When I got to the dungeon, it said you have to have a sub to enter it. Tried another one, same thing. Had no interest in trying again and again.
    All quests in Korthos are Free, and most Harbor Quests are free.

    I have got to hear what level 1 quest was not free.

    Edit Added:

    Ok.. I just asked a few friend that still play the game if there was a paid level 1 quest, and none of them could think of one.

    You either are lying..

    or

    Oh.. ya know what.. I bet ya tried to enter on Hard, or Elite.. because you thought you was badass.. try normal Mr still in Korthos starter gear.
    katzklawgoemoe
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited May 2019
    dude. you must have been playing the wrong game. there ARE no paid level 1 quests in ddo

    the lowest level that paid quests start, is level 3, with the Catacombs, Tangleroot, and Shan-to-kor packs, and you actually have to go hunt for those quest givers... 


    besides, you can not only level to 20 absolutely free, you earn points as you play. you can "buy" the various packs as you go... completely free. difficult, yes, but hey, i thought gamers LIKED A CHALLENGE! 
    Ungood
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 8,345
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    katzklaw said:
    dude. you must have been playing the wrong game. there ARE no paid level 1 quests in ddo

    the lowest level that paid quests start, is level 3, with the Catacombs, Tangleroot, and Shan-to-kor packs, and you actually have to go hunt for those quest givers... 


    besides, you can not only level to 20 absolutely free, you earn points as you play. you can "buy" the various packs as you go... completely free. difficult, yes, but hey, i thought gamers LIKED A CHALLENGE! 

    Yah.. I didn't think there were any paid level 1 quests in DDO. So someone telling me, that in Totally Free, Starter Town, they needed a sub.. didn't sound right.

    They might have tried to enter on Hard or Elite, because you know, selecting difficulty is confusing yo, which is what I think they did, and if that was stopping them, there is a good chance they don't have what it takes to actually play the game, given how complex it is.

    I can see it now "What! Need a blunt weapon to kill a Skeleton,. but I took the Amber Great axe for my rogue, because it was badass!"

    "what do you mean my rogue is not proficient with this weapon, I can equip it!"

    "Why this game not put me on rails and take anyway any stupid choices I can make!"

    "What do you mean it was a bad idea to mix wizard and barb!"

    "What do you mean I needed to put points into Con, I need Str for the Barb and Int for the Wizard you dummies.. and why is everything one shotting me!"

    Some games are best not played by some gamers... 

    katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 96
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    and yet... again... THERE ARE NO LEVEL ONE QUESTS THAT REQUIRE A SUB 

    in ANY way shape or form. period

    altho in light of what Ungood said, i need to log into one of my first life gimps to see if i get an error telling me to buy VIP or an unlock to go into harder than "normal" 

    only VIP or multi-TR toons can enter any dungeon on a difficulty higher than normal on the first time through. otherwise you must unlock by doing the previous difficulty. IE: a first lifer needs to do normal, then hard, then elite. VIP or a 3+ life toon can just walk into elite straight off. i'm wondering if you try to select hard or elite when you don't qualify (which has a LOCK on the icon, so it's fairly obvious) it says to buy it
    Ungood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    Well I just logged in.. and I did not encounter any level 1 quest that required that I be VIP to access.

    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 542
    Maurgrim said:
    Sorry to say this for those who enjoy Neverwinter, but I do hope the game shuts down soon because I want a good MMORPG set in the Forgotten Realms, a mix between ESO and GW2 with classic dungeon and dragon class system and working alignment system.
    You're dreaming way too hard. What world do you think you live in?
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,354
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    That was a long time ago. There were a lot more gates in place. It's changed. It feels like Turbine/SSG spends more time on monetization than content. MMOs are all about the milk job.
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    I also checked the Hard/Elite opening, and that was just locked, it did not say to get a ViP.

    Honestly, I cannot think what you encountered that would demand you get a VIP account.

    But I will say this,  I don't get the problem.

    I see people say they would spend upwards to 100 for the box and 20 bucks just to play a game, yet if they can try out and play 20% of the game for free before deciding if they want to buy more.. it's suddenly a scam.

    Anyone but me thinking that's kinda messed up.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,690
    Ungood said:
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You would pay 15 - 20 a month, just to play a game, but don't want things locked behind a pay-wall.. what the .. do you think a sub is, if not as paywall to play the game?
    Nicely spin on the word paywall; of course still completely wrong - Career in politics ?
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited May 2019
    Torval said:
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    That was a long time ago. There were a lot more gates in place. It's changed. It feels like Turbine/SSG spends more time on monetization than content. MMOs are all about the milk job.
    No Torval he can't even use that excuse.

    DDO came out in 2006 as a sub only game.  In 2009 it went F2p.  Since 2009 ALL quests on Korthos Island (where the lvl 1 stuff is) has been F2p.   I started playing right after it went F2p and those numbers of F2p quests I gave in my earlier posts came from the quest listing I printed out back in 2009 so I could find / keep track of the quests I've done and ALL lvl 1 and lvl 2 quests are free.

    I'm with UnGood 'I have got to hear what level 1 quest was not free.' on this.  I challenge Theocritus to go to DDO and tell us what Level 1 quest required a sub to enter it.    You might not be lying, but you sure don't know what you're talking about.

    Now if we take the dungeon out of the equation and you logged into your old paid account - now free and tried to play a premium locked character (could play it when you had a sub, but has to be bought by F2p) you'd get the 'need VIP' prompt.
    UngoodkatzklawAlmostLancelot

    SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,354
    edited May 2019
    Nebless said:
    Torval said:
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    That was a long time ago. There were a lot more gates in place. It's changed. It feels like Turbine/SSG spends more time on monetization than content. MMOs are all about the milk job.
    No Torval he can't even use that excuse.

    DDO came out in 2006 as a sub only game.  In 2009 it went F2p.  Since 2009 ALL quests on Korthos Island (where the lvl 1 stuff is) has been F2p.   I started playing right after it went F2p and those numbers of F2p quests I gave in my earlier posts came from the quest listing I printed out back in 2009 so I could find / keep track of the quests I've done and ALL lvl 1 and lvl 2 quests are free.

    I'm with UnGood 'I have got to hear what level 1 quest was not free.' on this.  I challenge Theocritus to go to DDO and tell us what Level 1 quest required a sub to enter it.    You might not be lying, but you sure don't know what you're talking about.

    Now if we take the dungeon out of the equation and you logged into your old paid account - now free and tried to play a premium locked character (could play it when you had a sub, but has to be bought by F2p) you'd get the 'need VIP' prompt.
    Yeah it was after Korthos and it wasn't level 1. He didn't get that right, but it is immediately after the tutorial that they start hammering you. It's easy to see how new players could confuse the details because DDO levels are nothing like the D&D system.

    You were right and he was technically wrong. DDO doesn't try to hammer your wallet until you leave tutorial island. After that all bets are off and they monetize everything they can. It's the poster child for over monetized whale driven gaming. It's textbook on how to take the low effort road with bleeding and milking your customers.
    Mendel
    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    kjempff said:
    Ungood said:
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You would pay 15 - 20 a month, just to play a game, but don't want things locked behind a pay-wall.. what the .. do you think a sub is, if not as paywall to play the game?
    Nicely spin on the word paywall; of course still completely wrong - Career in politics ?
    See if this makes any sense to you.

    There is no spin job here, there is only exposing the ridiculous mentality that is all too often expressed by gamers.

    Where they claim they will pay $100 for the box and $20 a month, for a game, as long as they lose ALL access to the game if they cease to pay the Sub.

    But, if there is NO Box fee, and if they ever cease to pay the Sub they can still access around 20% of the game, as well as all their gear.. it's a scam and a rip off.

    I am trying to find the logic in that.. and I'll be damned there is none.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    Torval said:
    Nebless said:
    Torval said:
    lol well i have no reason to lie about it ...i played it years ago with no issues, but last time i tried it i was not allowed in to the dungeons. The message said it required a sub.
    That was a long time ago. There were a lot more gates in place. It's changed. It feels like Turbine/SSG spends more time on monetization than content. MMOs are all about the milk job.
    No Torval he can't even use that excuse.

    DDO came out in 2006 as a sub only game.  In 2009 it went F2p.  Since 2009 ALL quests on Korthos Island (where the lvl 1 stuff is) has been F2p.   I started playing right after it went F2p and those numbers of F2p quests I gave in my earlier posts came from the quest listing I printed out back in 2009 so I could find / keep track of the quests I've done and ALL lvl 1 and lvl 2 quests are free.

    I'm with UnGood 'I have got to hear what level 1 quest was not free.' on this.  I challenge Theocritus to go to DDO and tell us what Level 1 quest required a sub to enter it.    You might not be lying, but you sure don't know what you're talking about.

    Now if we take the dungeon out of the equation and you logged into your old paid account - now free and tried to play a premium locked character (could play it when you had a sub, but has to be bought by F2p) you'd get the 'need VIP' prompt.
    Yeah it was after Korthos and it wasn't level 1. He didn't get that right, but it is immediately after the tutorial that they start hammering you. It's easy to see how new players could confuse the details because DDO levels are nothing like the D&D system.

    You were right and he was technically wrong. DDO doesn't try to hammer your wallet until you leave tutorial island. After that all bets are off and they monetize everything they can. It's the poster child for over monetized whale driven gaming. It's textbook on how to take the low effort road with bleeding and milking your customers.
    Or... you could pay the sub fee that so many on these forums seem to sing the praise of, and not have to worry about anything.

    In fact, not only does the Sub give you access to all non-expansion content, it also provides you with additional game points to spend in the store for anything else you may want, like cosmetic items, or what-have-you.

    It really is the hybrid model that so many seem to claim they want.. and yet cry about it's existence.. so ironic.
    katzklawTorvalAlmostLancelotSovrath
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 96
    heh. DDO doesn't really have a pay-wall. it has more of a pay-speed bump.  with patience and game play you can earn points with which you can "buy" everything. except the latest expansion. wait long enough and they'll put that in the store too. so yeah. 

    quit making lame excuses, cuz that's all they are
    Ungood
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,690
    Ungood said:
    kjempff said:
    Ungood said:
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You would pay 15 - 20 a month, just to play a game, but don't want things locked behind a pay-wall.. what the .. do you think a sub is, if not as paywall to play the game?
    Nicely spin on the word paywall; of course still completely wrong - Career in politics ?
    .blahblah....
    No.
    The meaning of the term pay wall is tied to f2p, and therefore it makes no sense trying to pin it on a sub based game. Pay wall means this exactly: Playing for free until the point where you reach the build in point in the game where you have to pay to progress further, aka the PAY WALL.
    Of course you can have an opinion whether you prefer to pay the cost of the full game in one go (known cost), or the variable cost that increases the more of the game you play (unknown cost).
    You tried to change (spin) the meaning of the term pay wall to your agenda, and I observed it was well spun.

  • katzklawkatzklaw Member UncommonPosts: 96
    he was pointing out the irony that someone will say "i'll pay for the game AND x amount per month, for a game that the second i stop paying that x amount, i lose access to", and at the same time, the same person completely loses their sh** when a game is free to play, but has the gall to actually try to make some money... it's not a sub game. it's not a pay to win game. it's not even a pay wall. you can play the entire game without spending a single cent... WITH a lot of patience.   and if you DO decide to pay the VIP "sub" fee. you get to keep playing the game, and keep using weapons you gained from pay packs, when you stop paying.
    Ungood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 5,841
    kjempff said:
    Ungood said:
    kjempff said:
    Ungood said:
    This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. You would pay 15 - 20 a month, just to play a game, but don't want things locked behind a pay-wall.. what the .. do you think a sub is, if not as paywall to play the game?
    Nicely spin on the word paywall; of course still completely wrong - Career in politics ?
    .blahblah....
    No.
    The meaning of the term pay wall is tied to f2p, and therefore it makes no sense trying to pin it on a sub based game. Pay wall means this exactly: Playing for free until the point where you reach the build in point in the game where you have to pay to progress further, aka the PAY WALL.
    Of course you can have an opinion whether you prefer to pay the cost of the full game in one go (known cost), or the variable cost that increases the more of the game you play (unknown cost).
    You tried to change (spin) the meaning of the term pay wall to your agenda, and I observed it was well spun.

    Thank you, I am glad I did a good job.

    I just hope the irony of it all is not lost on people.

    Also.. I could never get into politics, I simply do not have the patience to deal with the stupid angry masses.
    katzklaw
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited May 2019
    Torval said:
    Yeah it was after Korthos and it wasn't level 1. He didn't get that right, but it is immediately after the tutorial that they start hammering you. It's easy to see how new players could confuse the details because DDO levels are nothing like the D&D system.
    Where are you getting that from?  Some hidden post cuz I sure don't see where he changed his tune that it wasn't a lvl 1 quest.

    If you use the map it shows which quests are 'Locked' (behind a paywall) as they'll show red and which are 'Free' - yellow or blue depending on if you've done it.  

    Also when you first go to the quest giver if you can't take the quest you'll see right there on the screen a big Red chalice & SSG Coin / lock over the guys head.  And if you do take the quest when you click on the dungeon all you get is a polite little box saying 'premium access required, would you like to buy',  I wouldn't call that 'hammering new players'.  


    Post edited by Nebless on
    Ungoodkatzklaw

    SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO - GnH (beta tester) - SWToR - Neverwinter

  • cyrilluscyrillus Newbie CommonPosts: 1

    I have an idea of us, players who were betrayed by idiot developer of Cryptic. For many years that we spent your time, money and effort to Neverwinter. However, what we got from module 16 is stabbed in our back. We suffer a lot from stupid idea of idiot developer. Everything that we invested and done to our toons were ruined. No matter how much we put into our toon, they all gone. Now, our toons are like some trash of the past. We have our right to say out our misery of pain on our back. However, those bottom lickers show up and blame us. They will protect the idiot developer even they make disaster and terrible decision. Then, I have idea of us, the players who were betrayed.

    I would like you to join my campaign, the 3 stops. This is a campaign that every of betrayed players can join. You can just do 1 stop that you like to do. It would be better if you can do 2 stops. It would be best if you can do 3 stops.

    The first stop is stop giving feedback to Neverwinter, no matter good or bad feedback, just stay silence. Now a day, feedback from customer is important to business. If company don’t get any feedback, it surely will be lost direction to go. Even we see that Neverwinter is heading to death, don’t say anything and let it be. Let the bottom lickers praise those idiot developers. Although, that will accelerate Neverwinter to death faster, we just step aside.

    The second stop is stop spend your money to Neverwinter. Money is the most important thing, free to play game can’t escape this fact. Actually, Free to play is greedy. Free to play game has one advantage compare to other type of games. There is no limit to how much one player can spend money on the game. The ancient air time filling game has limit per account that it can get money; players spend exact money for period of time that they want to play. Client buying game also has limit; one player need only one client. If we stop spend our money to Neverwinter, it’ll suffer a lot of pain. Without income that they used to get; they will suffer a lot of pain. Serve you right, the idiot developers.

    The third stop is stop playing this game. There are tons of better game for us to play. I know it’s hard to come for this decision, it’s hard for me too. I used to love this game so much but now, with module 16, Neverwinter is like a trash. Those idiots already destroyed my beloved Neverwinter. Game without players is a big problem. Think about there are just 5-6 players in every map. Imagine that there are only 3-4 player doing dragon run in WoD. What is the enjoyment for GvG for when there are only 7-8 player in war!

    I hope this stop will not be long. May be one day; good developers will come and fix Neverwinter back to be a good game as it used to be.


  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,681
    The situation is not that tragic imo... sure it's pretty bad.
    (bonus points for pulling back the thread onto Mod 16 from DDO's f2p model :smiley: )

    Your 3-step campaign sounds easy, at least the first two steps (no money to them and no feedback), but what about those who still enjoy the game?
    It's broken for sure, fixes and patches every other day, etc. with the declaration of "scaling will stay"... it's a very different game now, but there are some into it still.


    Foss will have an another Q&A stream next Tuesday, hopefully a better one than the previous time (I did a recap on it under the previous news article), will turn out how valid your first step in the campaign is: if he will dodge and avoid the tougher questions again, then it will be pointless indeed to give them feedback anymore.
  • BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 236
    *sigh* first Cryptic screws over the 2 communities(STO,and, Neverwinter) with the shutdown of the Foundry system, and, then they totally break the Neverwinter combat system, typical of a company who believes money is far more important when its coming from its investors then the gamers who play the game, and have money to buy anything in their cash shops :(
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,681
    To be honest the stream was lukewarm... he didn't dodge tougher questions, because of there weren't really any.
    There were a bunch of smaller ones, on specific items or bugs, with the answer of either "Fix will be in the patch of tomorrow" or "No idea, we'll look into it".

    Beyond those, only two main "messages" were present:
    - scaling will stay. They will tweak and turn and twist and adjust it constantly with the patches, they even removed it from the most problematic areas (so in practice they could remove it entirely, just don't want to), but they stick to the concept and will keep scaling in the game from now on.
    - PC is playtesting for consoles. Ok, that wasn't spoken out bluntly, just
    there will be similar Q&A streams every week from now on until the console launch, for discussing the patches and the tweaks, and
    (for a question about which version will consoles launch with) Foss said "It's the absolute goal" to launch with all the fixes and tweaks included.
    Also there will be an announcement later this week about the launch date. Maybe it's for covering the option when the remaining 3 weeks (currently the planned launch is 11th June) won't be enough for all the fixes.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,532
    Neverwinter, along with other games from the same stable, is a bug ridden, wallet sucking, whale magnet.
    It is a shame, as at it's core there are some good features. The combat is pretty good for example.
    However it is all overshadowed by an extremely poor quality level and a developer who knows that some people have invested so much money into the game, they can get away with producing misery inducing content.
Sign In or Register to comment.