Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyer beware in game pop up ads now added to ao. Forced ads to subscribers.

hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

As of the latest patch and addition of the rk2019 server funcom has decided to add in game pop up ads and forcibly show them to paying subscribers at login to the game and and at certain levels to all paying subscribers. A funcom forum moderator has already begun to silence opposition to this new change in policy and threaten account bans for discussing it.

Anarchy online up till now has never had any type of in game pop up of ads telling players who have paid subscriptions to buy more from the funcom cash shop. A private Funcom response to this is all games have pop up ads now and so will ao now.

Funcom is upset that players may take some type of legal action over this change. No prior notice of these ads being added to the game was ever made. Paying subscribers have no option to deactivate these ads. This can under the law could be considered fraud by deception.

A funcom response to this issue.

"It is intended that you would get a popup at certain level milestones (such as 25), as well as the shop popping up once per character login per day. It also might happen if you’re playing at midnight (local time) and then zone.

It is not intended that you get shop popups multiple times per day when zoning, dying, or just playing (without leveling to one of the milestones).

We’re looking into reports of the latter. Thanks!"

Funcoms policy with ao is to now have in game ads aimed at paying subscribers. Ao has never had in game pop up ads until now.

Buyer Beware.

AsheramScotKyleran

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Wow thats pretty lame if you get it when you already sub, I can see why it would be on f2p but this no thanks. Glad I dont pay for anything of theirs anymore.
    MadFrenchieBrimstonelov
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    kain777 said:
    I nearly thought you were a adbot, but clearly you are not so:

Welcome to the boards!
    ronnab
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Err, paying subscribers do have the option to stop paying yes? 

Another crisis averted, my job is done here.

:D
    laseritAmatheRidelynnSevenOmatic

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Scot said:
    kain777 said:
    I nearly thought you were a adbot, but clearly you are not so:

Welcome to the boards!
    Whoops, I flagged him.

;)
    Scot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited April 2019
    It's the AO store, right? While annoying they could pull a Google and popup ads for shit you truly don't care about.

It's unfortunately something that newer games do and, even though it sucks for many players, it's actually the smart thing to do.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    It's the AO store, right? While annoying they could pull a Google and popup ads for shit you truly don't care about.

It's unfortunately something that newer games do and, even though it sucks for many players, it's actually the smart thing to do.
    I disagree, I think it's a terrible thing to do for a game that caters to the old school crowd that is very vocal about how they feel about ads.  
    Brimstonelov
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    edited April 2019
    hobo9766 said:

Funcom is upset that players may take some type of legal action over this change. No prior notice of these ads being added to the game was ever made. Paying subscribers have no option to deactivate these ads. This can under the law could be considered fraud by deception.

I can understand why Funcom would be upset about threats of legal action because that's the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit.  It's their game, if they want to stick ads all over it then it's their god-given right as the creators of the game to do so.  Likewise it's the consumer's right to not give them money.  If Funcom wants to do something that the players don't like, then the players should not reward them by continuing to pay them.  Saying "I'm going to sue you because you're playing ads," is absurd. 
    Kyleran
  • hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    WBadger said:
    hobo9766 said:

I can understand why Funcom would be upset about threats of legal action because that's the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit.  It's their game, if they want to stick ads all over it then it's their god-given right as the creators of the game to do so.  Likewise it's the consumer's right to not give them money.  If Funcom wants to do something that the players don't like, then the players should not reward them by continuing to pay them.  Saying "I'm going to sue you because you're playing ads," is absurd. 
    They added the pop up ads to the game in stealth. They gave no prior notice it was going to be done. This is after they started a new server rk19. They marketed this server as a fresh start and lured back players some of which have purchased 6 month to 1year term subscriptions before pop ups were patched in. This can be considered bait and switch sales tactics. Other players still have active subs for for the same periods before this stealth change. Now they are stuck and out of luck. 

The real manure will hit the fan though in june when the anniversary nomad event comes up and the old vets roll in to find the new pop up ads.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I remember when the f2p players had to endure the horrible in game ads....i must've watched Will Ferrelll ads a million times back in the old days.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    WBadger said:
    hobo9766 said:

I imagine some of the players paid for 6-12 months.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    lol wow. Of course it sucks. I wouldn't want to see it either, but good luck trying to sue over something like this. Going nowhere fast with that idea.
    Lokeromoshra
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    You would think fans of an old, barely-living game would be more tolerant to the company trying to find ways to monetize the game and keep it alive.

I seriously doubt AO is turning any real profit.  Most likely, they have been considering the action of shutting it down.  But, instead, they are probably just trying to find a way to keep it profitable and alive, rather than closing out the current players.

Funcom isn't exactly a financial giant, so they have to do something to keep the game worth maintaining.  Yeah, ads suck.  Everyone hates them.
    But, considering they just opened a new server for a 20 year old game, and are trying to keep it going, you'd think people would be more reasonable.

According to them, you should only see ads like once or twice a day.  That hardly seems like something worth rioting over.  I imagine it'll be like EQ2.
    KyleranRexKushmanAmathe
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2019
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts > right click > Edit > Notepad > insert line  127.0.0.1 <IP address, or URL, of ad hosting service. > Save > Close.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    lol wow. Of course it sucks. I wouldn't want to see it either, but good luck trying to sue over something like this. Going nowhere fast with that idea.
    From what I am aware its going to include this issue, payment issues, and concerning phasefront points being removed The former virtual coinage. Its not going to be a single item in a complaint. A lawyer already on retainer for something else is involved and its not like its a waste of money or anything to the person as the lawyer is getting paid to do nothing.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited April 2019
    FailCom at it again.

At least they are consistent when it comes to making poor decisions, have to give credit where it is due.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2019
    As a former CoH player, I would rather them put in ads like Funcom is doing than shut down my game like NCSoft did.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Many games are also sharing your private information to the likes of Google and such.I love the part where they always mention they take your personal information to better serve you.
    Yes because when you really need help you have to take a ticket and they might get around to you but yeah they care so much about serving us.

This problem will never go away because developers just give the game away for free most of the time and make all the money through loot boxes,cash shops etc etc.

Funcom to me is lol anyhow,i would hope most have noticed that before their survival game they were stating to show signs of quick cash grabs,they are struggling for money.

The problem is idk the % likely 90% of these studios have investors and boards/counsels/execs all want a large piece o the pie leaving little for the hard working people.This is why i do not like developers that can't afford to be in this business,once you get non gamer's the money people in on it,nothing good comes from it.

Gaming is in a real bad place right now,a few games making loads of money that shouldn't be and the rest are all struggling.

Wake me up when a real developers arrives on the scene,we need a few.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Let's be honest.. anyone playing this game should hope they keep making money because it could disappear at any time. Subscribers should just keep quiet, let them try to keep the servers open and ignore the ads.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited April 2019
    Let's be honest.. anyone playing this game should hope they keep making money because it could disappear at any time. Subscribers should just keep quiet, let them try to keep the servers open and ignore the ads.
    yeah lets get some lube so they can do whatever to keep our addiction going

you guys have some problems you know
    KyleranRoin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    yeah lets get some lube so they can do whatever to keep our addiction going

you guys have some problems you know
    Yeah, we find ourselves firmly based in reality.  It would be so much easier to live in the land of imagination.

• kain777kain777 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Funcrap forums are ruled like a 3rd world dictatorship. best course of action, unsub and move on.
    Trolling them is possible now though. Forum accounts are no longer tied to game accounts. They threaten and silence but have no real power and if they ban or delete you can ask them how it feels to work for satan.
    Kyleran
    kain777 said:
    Funcrap forums are ruled like a 3rd world dictatorship. best course of action, unsub and move on.
    Trolling them is possible now though. Forum accounts are no longer tied to game accounts. They threaten and silence but have no real power and if they ban or delete you can ask them how it feels to work for satan.
    I do believe I was IP banned from the forums. Because I was bring it to them raw.
    You have a static IP address or something?

Mine changes every few months or so, screws up Netflix on my Smart TV.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,109
    hobo9766 said:

They added the pop up ads to the game in stealth. They gave no prior notice it was going to be done. This is after they started a new server rk19. They marketed this server as a fresh start and lured back players some of which have purchased 6 month to 1year term subscriptions before pop ups were patched in. This can be considered bait and switch sales tactics. Other players still have active subs for for the same periods before this stealth change. Now they are stuck and out of luck. 

The real manure will hit the fan though in june when the anniversary nomad event comes up and the old vets roll in to find the new pop up ads.
    I expect their TOS allows them to change their game whenever and however they want with players having little recourse in the event thereof. So, don't get your hopes up.

I highly doubt adding a daily and otherwise occasional popup would constitute a bait and switch anyway, unless they substantially changed the game along with.

I have a life-time subscription to a game and I still get a daily popup with each login. A quick press of ESC and it's gone until my next login. Not a big deal.
    Kyleran
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Jeez, if the posters here are actually representative of AO's community I hope the game gets shuttered. No wonder they needed to take drastic measures to drive the remaining  players to the cash shop, you guys probably drove away all the decent players.
    alkarionlog