Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated: City of Heroes Private Server Shut Down & 'On a Direct Course for Legal Action'

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Asm0deus said:
    Update
    Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 5:08 PM
    We are drafting a general update.
    Questions I can answer right now:
    1.) We do not currently have the server binaries right now. We do not physically have them.
    2. We are not giving up, every single one of us is looking at the outcomes and directions to go to.
    3. Hope is not lost. Seriously. Coderbus, calm down. People in the community, calm down. We are working to figure out a solution as well as get some spatial awareness on what is going on.
    4. The previous plan of forming an LLC may not need to be formed. So, once again, please calm down. This is a panic spiral and we are trying to collect ourselves.

Maybe all shit that should have been given a serious shufty before just jumping out the airplane door and then finding on the way down they forgot to pack their parachute.
    looks more like I was right, too much fear for a false call.

also so nice then some here will jump scare that high if someone send you a e-mail with threats
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited April 2019
    Update
    Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 5:47 PM
    There is going to be some positive news soon. Wait for me to write a coherent statement.

[Deleted User]Octagon7711

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    at least i got to play for a couple of hours, something i thought would never have been possible.
    and it still holds up to the mmo that are played these days.
    i'd be content with a coh remaster not even a coh 2.
    just a layer of polish and a new updated engine and i would happily dive back into the CoX world without hesitation.
    it still has to this day some things that are sorely missed in most of nowadays mmorpgs. (mentor/mentee system, cooperation and synergies almost required to progress and level up and not just mindless solo questing and ofc the mastermind class, which is imo one of the best pet class ever).

what i don't understand though is that there are and there have been legion of lineage 2 private servers for as long as i can remember and they have mostly been left alone (with one notable exception that i can remember of : l2extreme because it was so big and admins were greedy and shady as fuck). those private server are and were actively vampirizing revenue from ncsoft whereas this coh server was not. sometimes i just don't get it with ncsoft.
    edited April 2019
    Update
    Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 5:52 PM
    As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything. There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.
    We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me.
    We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately.
    The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.
    We will also be futureproofing future development to make sure this kind of clusterfuck will never happen again.
    Dunno kind of sounds like all them "I told you so's" were a little....premature?
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I hope it works out, i think i'm going to jump into an MMO not expecting to get bored after 5 minutes (Age of conan and LOTRO) my two most recent ones. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

meh, I call wolf, I don't think they did receive anything, too fast for one, and we have to belive in a reddit post?

Are you fucking high? How long does it take your lawyer to write a form letter?

and deliver it to who and how exactly? Normally has to be by physical mail, certified and all that. Very surprised if they could have done it so quickly.

I didn't see the names and addresses of the new private server owners published anywhere.
    alkarionlogSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

tawess said:

meh, I call wolf, I don't think they did receive anything, too fast for one, and we have to belive in a reddit post?

A quick e-mail telling them to shut it down or spend the next 6 months in and out of court having every single last cent drained form them.... Does not sound like it would take much time.
    How would one verify they received an official email from NCSoft and their official legal reps?
    alkarionlogSovrath

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Amathe said:

If you own intellectual property, and you want to keep owning it, you can't stand back and do nothing when other people use it without authorization. They pretty much have to take some action. 

this is true, but wouldn't it be better if they work together with the team to allow them to run CoH, let it monetize the game on their own but NC gets a cut from it? everyone wins IMO.
    Gdemami

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:

Are you fucking high? How long does it take your lawyer to write a form letter?

and deliver it to who and how exactly? Normally has to be by physical mail, certified and all that. Very surprised if they could have done it so quickly.

I didn't see the names and addresses of the new private server owners published anywhere.
    A C&D isn't necessarily a legal order.  There's no requirement to deliver a C&D letter by certified mail, or even mail at all.

A C&D letter =/= C&D order, which is issued by a court.
    [Deleted User]Kilrane

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I miss CoH and CoV. I truly loved that MMORPG. The new superhero IP's (Ship of Heroes / City of Titans) are taking forever to come out, IF they ever do....

DC Universe doesn' even compare to CoX
    [Deleted User]wingood

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NianisNianis Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    So quick to hop on the issue huh Suzie. What a great fucking journalist lmao, too bad you don't update your article as quick as you try to get the latest "scoop" on a project that's trying to NOT make headlines. Especially since more than half the post isn't even your own words, just copy and pasted lmao. It sickens me that you might actually even make money from something like this, rather than writing a game review or about some ACTUAL news. I bet you only joined the discord server after reading another article that outed these people too, just so you could do something like this. Great journalism.
    Baalzharon[Deleted User]SBFordCryomatrixwingoodPhaserlight

Amathe said:

If you own intellectual property, and you want to keep owning it, you can't stand back and do nothing when other people use it without authorization. They pretty much have to take some action. 

this is true, but wouldn't it be better if they work together with the team to allow them to run CoH, let it monetize the game on their own but NC gets a cut from it? everyone wins IMO.
    Why do that when NC could just open a server and leave it on maintenance mode with zero support except a weekly restart and reap all the money. 

Even then, they have to maintain it, whereas volunteers maintain the private server.  It also allows NCSoft to distance themselves regarding quality of experience.  Any new criticism about CoH can be brushed aside by NCSoft: "That's a defunct project that NCSoft has no involvement in, administrated solely by fans as a passion project. As such, NCSoft is not responsible for the state of the project nor is it liable for any events surrounding the private party's administration of said server."

If they throw up a server for CoH and folks are in a queue to login for hours, all of a sudden it's NCSoft's official forums that are flooded with player complaints.

edited April 2019
    It looks like the person actually hosting the server got cold feet and pulled the plug then everyone, devs included panicked and there was a whole chaotic swirl of assumptions and mass panic but in the end it looks like they will be able to get the server back up and running.

That said who knows as this is still an ongoing drama....

Thanks for watching this has been reported live from discord!
    Asm0deus
    /signoff

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    Nianis said:
    So quick to hop on the issue huh Suzie. What a great fucking journalist lmao, too bad you don't update your article as quick as you try to get the latest "scoop" on a project that's trying to NOT make headlines. Especially since more than half the post isn't even your own words, just copy and pasted lmao. It sickens me that you might actually even make money from something like this, rather than writing a game review or about some ACTUAL news. I bet you only joined the discord server after reading another article that outed these people too, just so you could do something like this. Great journalism.
    First off, I don't defend my work here. I don't have to and I hope you trotted over to Massively with your words of wisdom since their article was out 1/2 hour before ours. 

Secondly, I was away for the past hour since the article went up. Lighten up and go outside and remember that we're talking about games here, not something that actually matters one whit in the big picture.

Thirdly, I don't belong to their Discord. So...whatevs.

Lastly, you created an account just for that post? LOL!

But rest assured, I'll update it with things that I've seen in this thread as I always do on any changing story.

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Baalzharon[Deleted User]wingoodViper482KilraneRateroOctagon7711Phaserlight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Aeander said:
    Oh NCSoft. Unwilling to do a goddamn thing with any of its western properties, but also unwilling to let anyone else touch or purchase them either. Scumbags. NCSoft are nothing but scumbags.
    Just because the house next door is empty does not mean you and your family can just move in because no one is using it.

Going public and releasing the code was a slap in the face to NCSoft and they had little choice but to respond.  If this has been around for that long and people were playing then they should have kept their mouths shut.

NCSOFT doesn't need a slap in the face, they deserve a swift kick to the balls. I haven't given them money since COH shut down.
    Asm0deusAlverant

Amathe said:

NCsoft actually legit hates city of heroes. They don't even like people asking about it. They do the same any time someone asks them about Tabula Rasa (though that one makes a bit more sense I guess, since they had to pay Richard Garriot a ton of money for their criminal behavior against him, so they probably just want to forget TR)...for CoH though, they really really hate it. More than even Tabula rasa.

100% they'd hire richard garriot again before they let CoH exist.
    Yeah, not quite sure why they have such a vendetta against COH.
    wingood

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    It's as least as likely that the server provider got cold feet and pulled out.   I've not seen any legit example of NCSoft putting their foot down on this so far.  I'll wait for the full story before full dudgeon sets in.

'Speed of rumor' internet stuff is sometimes half baked. 
    Kyleranwingood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    Updated (Thanks, Asm0deus)

This is a story in progress so keep tuned to the same bat time and the same bat channel. Grateful thanks to Asm0deus for posting the Discord updates in the current thread.

Update #1: From Asm0deus: Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 4:42 PM Things may not be as nuclearly fucked as I was lead to be presented with. Please hold tight. I am not posting a GFM, it may not be needed.

Update #2: From Asm0deus

"Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 5:08 PM

1.) We do not currently have the server binaries right now. We do not physically have them.
    2. We are not giving up, every single one of us is looking at the outcomes and directions to go to.
    3. Hope is not lost. Seriously. Coderbus, calm down. People in the community, calm down. We are working to figure out a solution as well as get some spatial awareness on what is going on.
    4. The previous plan of forming an LLC may not need to be formed. So, once again, please calm down. This is a panic spiral and we are trying to collect ourselves."

Update #3: From Asm0deus: "There is going to be some positive news soon. Wait for me to write a coherent statement.

Update #4: From Asm0deus: As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything. There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.

We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me. We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately. The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.
    Asm0deuswingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Aeander said:
    Oh NCSoft. Unwilling to do a goddamn thing with any of its western properties, but also unwilling to let anyone else touch or purchase them either. Scumbags. NCSoft are nothing but scumbags.
    Just because the house next door is empty does not mean you and your family can just move in because no one is using it.

Going public and releasing the code was a slap in the face to NCSoft and they had little choice but to respond.  If this has been around for that long and people were playing then they should have kept their mouths shut.
    If they had just run the server and shut it down immediately when NCSoft sent them a C&D message, that would probably be the end of it.

But, since knowing they'd be shut down eventually, they decided to escalate matters and release the source code publically, I hope NCSoft puts in the money and time to stake them to the wall and show no mercy.
    edited April 2019
    Lokero said:
    Aeander said:

If they had just run the server and shut it down immediately when NCSoft sent them a C&D message, that would probably be the end of it.

But, since knowing they'd be shut down eventually, they decided to escalate matters and release the source code publically, I hope NCSoft puts in the money and time to stake them to the wall and show no mercy.
    Honestly, if all the required code is now "in the wild," NCSoft would be chasing shadows to try and take legal action every time a private server pops up.

While it's much harder on a private citizen to defend themselves against an entity like NCSoft, it's also going to be very hard for NCSoft to snuff out all the private server fires that can be started at this point.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Why are people angry? I bet you would feel differently had they stolen your work.
    SBFord said:
    Updated (Thanks, Asm0deus)

This is a story in progress so keep tuned to the same bat time and the same bat channel. Grateful thanks to Asm0deus for posting the Discord updates in the current thread.

Update #1: From Asm0deus: Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 4:42 PM Things may not be as nuclearly fucked as I was lead to be presented with. Please hold tight. I am not posting a GFM, it may not be needed.

Update #2: From Asm0deus

"Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosToday at 5:08 PM

4. The previous plan of forming an LLC may not need to be formed. So, once again, please calm down. This is a panic spiral and we are trying to collect ourselves."

Update #3: From Asm0deus: "There is going to be some positive news soon. Wait for me to write a coherent statement.

Update #4: From Asm0deus: As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything. There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.

We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me. We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately. The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.
    I added a pic to my previous post to show why I think there has been lots of panicking or jumping the gun over nothing.
    SBFord