Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm Player Arrested for Making Terrorist Threats In-Game - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    mmolou said:
    mmolou said:
    Failing to see how it is a terrorist threat.

Yes, it is wrong in every sense of the word to threaten to buy a gun and shoot school kids (or anyone else for that matter), but where is the political motivation?

Are we at a point now where anyone who threatens someone with violence is a terrorist?
    No, the writer that titled the article made a mistake. However, they would be completely correct if they said "Domestic Terrorism."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331
    (5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
    (A)
    involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
    (B)appear to be intended—
    (i)
    to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii)
    to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii)
    to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
    (C)
    occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and

You were likely so terrible at looking up terrorism on Google that you simply took the definition from the first link you found. B(i) probably wasn't there. More embarrassingly, you then took that definition and decided to attack... what... society as a whole for calling something "terrorist" that you personally feel doesn't fall under the definition? 

I guess the best question for you is, are we now at a point when someone threatens a school shooting, someone starts arguing about the definition of terrorism?
    Nice try, but no, did not use any google-fu at all.
    Terrorism is generally held to be politically motivated, and as I said, I fail to see how what he said is political.
    Since the writer of the article is mistaken, it makes it a moot point.
    So you quibble over her clarifying with domestic?

What has the world come to indeed?
    Ok.
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114
    People need to learn there are (or should be) consequences in what you say to others online. No one should be able to hide anonymously and make threats. Im glad hes locked up, even if he was just venting and didnt intend to carry through.

Same for people who make bomb jokes in line at the airport, and shout fire in a crowded theater. Stupid people need to be kept away from the sane ones and maybe jail will knock some intelligence into him if he was just joking.
    SBFordjimmywolf[Deleted User]
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    i would suggest controlling your emotions and think about the long game here.
    SBFord

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    mmolou said:
    mmolou said:
    mmolou said:

Yes, it is wrong in every sense of the word to threaten to buy a gun and shoot school kids (or anyone else for that matter), but where is the political motivation?

Are we at a point now where anyone who threatens someone with violence is a terrorist?
    No, the writer that titled the article made a mistake. However, they would be completely correct if they said "Domestic Terrorism."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331
    (5)the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—
    (A)
    involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
    (B)appear to be intended—
    (i)
    to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii)
    to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii)
    to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
    (C)
    occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and

You were likely so terrible at looking up terrorism on Google that you simply took the definition from the first link you found. B(i) probably wasn't there. More embarrassingly, you then took that definition and decided to attack... what... society as a whole for calling something "terrorist" that you personally feel doesn't fall under the definition? 

I guess the best question for you is, are we now at a point when someone threatens a school shooting, someone starts arguing about the definition of terrorism?
    Nice try, but no, did not use any google-fu at all.
    Terrorism is generally held to be politically motivated, and as I said, I fail to see how what he said is political.
    Since the writer of the article is mistaken, it makes it a moot point.
    So you quibble over her clarifying with domestic?

What has the world come to indeed?
    Ok.
    God damn I wish I had only replied "ok" to your first post. Would have made more sense.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    For those quibbling about the use of terrorism or domestic terrorism in the title of this article, it simply reflects the origin source, namely KTNV. The reporting news outlet titled its article, "Las Vegas man facing terrorism charge after elementary school shooting threats" and followed that up in the first paragraph of the article with, "A Las Vegas gamer is facing a terrorism charge after he reportedly made threats in a chat room of carrying out a mass shooting that would involve elementary school children."

https://www.ktnv.com/news/crime/las-vegas-man-facing-terrorism-charge-after-elementary-school-shooting-threats

Further, Fox 5 Vegas wrote in its report, "Michael Mickowski, 26, was arrested for making a terroristic threat after a video game chat monitor became so disturbed by his online comments that he reported Mickowski's account to police."

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/las-vegas-man-arrested-after-threatening-mass-shooting-at-elementary/article_9789a7bc-6232-11e9-b944-2bb3ece7a74d.html

Let's move on from the minor details and stick to the arrest story itself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited April 2019
    hypocrisy https://alohahawaiionipaa.org/?page_id=363 what did the crown do to the world? Arrest them.
    LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66
    The Redcoats are coming.
    LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    mmolou said:

PRESStitutes like to throw this word around for every and anyone. It's lost alot of its meaning over the years and intentionally so, on their part. And if you truly have no clue what I'm talking about lets just say its politically motivated.

SBFord
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    edited April 2019

Galadourn said:

Isn't it a bit far fetched to press charges based on expressed "intentions" in a video game?

Used to be, but after the FBI ignored someone who "expressed intentions" on Facebook, they regretted that decision when that person shot up a school. Here's a tip, don't make terrorist threats anywhere or at anytime. It's just common sense. In this day and age they need to be taken seriously. Or, if you really feel the need to "express" yourself, get a VPN
    jimmywolf
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The problem with anonymity is that people say incredibly stupid things because they don't think they can ever be traced.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I've seen people thrown in jail for terroristic threats on heated domestic disputes. Given that, it's funny watching some of your cretins attempt to smooth the edges for a 26 year old man threatening to mass murder children at an elementary school. What's worse is you folks are defending more than the suspect did.

I'm all for meeting in the middle on discussion but man, some of you mother fuckers go from 20/20 vision on other people to clinically blind when defending your team/organization. I'll leave it at that.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯