Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Disney Ready to Take Over Nexon? Possibly, According to a S. Korean Newspaper

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageIs Disney Ready to Take Over Nexon? Possibly, According to a S. Korean Newspaper

The Korea Herald business section is reporting that Nexon Chairman Kim Jung-ju has approached Disney to discuss acquisition. Kim has said, "What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids. [Consumers] gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death." Kim and his wife currently own 98.64% of Nexon stock and announced in January their intent to sell. Up to recently, the short list included, among others, Tencent, Kakao, and Netmarble.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Disney not forcing money out of Kids?

How comes EA still has the licenses for a couple of their ip's if they really do not do this. Referring to the Battlefront 2 fiasco mostly.
    HarikenFolmenAzaron_Nightblade
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

How comes EA still has the licenses for a couple of their ip's if they really do not do this. Referring to the Battlefront 2 fiasco mostly.

Well, what does their contract say?

Is there an immediate "I'm out" clause or does EA get a grace period to change things around?

Or maybe the agreement is a simple "we get to make x amount of games and then the option to continue if Disney is satisfied."

Again, it's all about their agreement.
    Folmen
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530

To be fair.. and I could be wrong.. I heard that Disney came in and said "Fix this shit"

and EA pissed their pants and fixed their shit.
    SovrathScot[Deleted User]FolmenPhaserlightgastovski1
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "Nexon Chairman Kim Jung-ju has approached Disney to discuss acquisition. Kim has said, "What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids. [Consumers] gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death."

Does anyone need more evidence that the founders of gaming companies had a very different vision of how to make revenue to what holds sway today? A computer and art graduate he has not exactly had an unblemished career but is also a philanthropist. Unlike the baulk of executives in gaming today his background is not just "being an executive in big companies" and this is why he has issues with how Nexon make their money.
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Key point in the article: Nexon Chairman Kim Jung-ju approached Disney.

Sounds to me like Kim Jung-ju either hasn't had an offer from Tencent, Kakao, Netmarble and whoever else or hasn't had a big enough offer and this is just stirring the pot.
    ScotPhaserlight
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Personally, if Disney were to buy a gaming company, Nexon wouldn't be high on my list of companies I'd want to see in Disneys hands.  More-so for Disneys sake than Nexons. To me, there's only one company worth a Disney buy out... 

edited April 2019
    Disney interested?

a) senior management has their recent acquistion + their move into TV streaming to oversee; would they want to oversee a game company purchase at this time?
    b) Disney "got out of making games themselves" - for their own reasons but I don't see anything that will have changed their thinking.  Other companies pay them to make games based on their IPs. Close to zero risk in that approach.
    c) If anything the gaming business has gotten harder since they pulled out. Most recently Activision Blizzard paid big money for King .... it hasn't gone well. Prior to that EA bought PopCap (Plants vs. Zombies) and PopCap - they didn't go well. Rovio (Angry Birds) and Zynga (Farmville) were once highly valued companies - that no longer are. Buying Nexon would be a big risk.
    c) buying Nexon wouldn't add any strong IPs that they could use in films, TV etc. Yes they could make a Maple Story film and market it to death but .... There is no Final Fantasy, no Elder Scrolls, no "big" IP that they could use in other parts of their business.

I think Nexon paying Disney for using their IPs is at least as likely as Disney buying Nexon!
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Scot[Deleted User]
    gervaise1 said:
    Disney interested?

c) buying Nexon wouldn't add any strong IPs that they could use in films, TV etc. Yes they could make a Maple Story film and market it to death but .... There is no Final Fantasy, no Elder Scrolls, no "big" IP that they could use in other parts of their business.

Exactly, there's only one company that has IPs that really fit within Disneys wheelhouse, and it's Japanese.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Oh Kim.... Disney is already focused on taking all the money out of the parents' pocket.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

They should be focus on what EA is doing with the Star Wars IP. As big as Disney is i'm starting to think they are afraid of EA.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Nexon! *spits on floor*

I am boycotting anything Disney if Nexon is now part of them too.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    For those of you want this translated.. it goes like this.

Kim Jung: Ok.. we need to fleece our players for money.

Nexton: Will do.

Kim Jung: What you do? They hate us now! 

Nexton: We fleeched the shit out of them.

Kim Jung: Disney, I heard you were good with fixing shit.. can you fix my shit?

Disney: Hummm.. we think about this.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    This is what mommy is paying for when she takes the brats to see a Disney movie. This is the world they will inherit. I weep for the future.
    jimmywolfgastovski1

Nexon! *spits on floor*

I am boycotting anything Disney if Nexon is now part of them too.

Reading the article might help before commenting.
    nyxium said:
    This is what mommy is paying for when she takes the brats to see a Disney movie. This is the world they will inherit. I weep for the future.
    A world with no Disney, Pixar, Fox Searchlight, Marvel, Starwars, National Geographic, History, FX, ESPN, 20th Century Fox, ABC, Fox 21 ......

Why would you wish for a world like that?

When it comes to "hated companies" I suggest Disney don't feature that highly. 
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Disney?
    Why would anyone support Disney? But yet, Disney Raised their pricing and wants to buy Nexon and Hulu? WTF, Greedy azz company!

I retired retroactively..Haha

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Marvel battle lines comes to mind when reading this and also Marvel end time arena + future fight. Marvel/Disney have been working with Korean companies for years plus look at Disney's recent games on mobile for their regular IP's. I thought a while back that buying Nexxon would be a waste of money for anyone but recently have been thinking that Disney may be the best buyer because it may increase the amount of Marvel games we see here in the west like end time arena which could only be played in Korea.

After Gazillion and EA it kind of feels like they have lost faith in western developers so don't see it as too far fetched that they'd invest in a eastern one.

Can you imagine a Hyper Universe reskinned with Disney characters like Wreck it Ralph and Elsa, people may actually like/buy/play that.
    edited April 2019
    Popple said:
    Disney?
    Why would anyone support Disney? But yet, Disney Raised their pricing and wants to buy Nexon and Hulu? WTF, Greedy azz company!

Does Disney want to buy Nexon? Gee I read in the article that Nexon had approached Disney. And nothing at all about Disney wanting to buy Nexon. Silly me.

Is there a competition going on to replace Sarah "not founded on anything" Sanders?

Ungood
    BruceYee said:
    Marvel battle lines comes to mind when reading this and also Marvel end time arena + future fight. Marvel/Disney have been working with Korean companies for years plus look at Disney's recent games on mobile for their regular IP's. I thought a while back that buying Nexxon would be a waste of money for anyone but recently have been thinking that Disney may be the best buyer because it may increase the amount of Marvel games we see here in the west like end time arena which could only be played in Korea.

After Gazillion and EA it kind of feels like they have lost faith in western developers so don't see it as too far fetched that they'd invest in a eastern one.

Can you imagine a Hyper Universe reskinned with Disney characters like Wreck it Ralph and Elsa, people may actually like/buy/play that.
    End Times Arena is pretty bad though. At least it was last time I played it. Battle Lines is good, for what it is.

Gazillion was a poor choice from the get go, but by the time the closure loomed, they had finally gotten something interesting together.  The console versions were actually very popular, but it was a too little too late scenario. 

We'll see what Disney does next, but buying nexon isn't a good idea imo.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

BruceYee said:

End Times Arena is pretty bad though. At least it was last time I played it. Battle Lines is good, for what it is.

Gazillion was a poor choice from the get go, but by the time the closure loomed, they had finally gotten something interesting together.  The console versions were actually very popular, but it was a too little too late scenario. 

We'll see what Disney does next, but buying nexon isn't a good idea imo.

You're lucky to have tried it. After IC closed I would've really liked to play End time arena but didn't have the option to.

What I was saying in my post though is that Disney has a lot of functional working relationships with Korean companies and have for many years. In the case of Future Fight Disney even lets Netmarble create their own Marvel Characters when they barely allowed Gazillion to license/use certain skins. I think at one point they even pulled all F4 material from MH for unknown reasons.

If Disney decides to buy Nexxon and that is a big if, I can see Nexxon being more of a regional headquarters for Disney in asia and possibly their main developer of Disney IP mobile games worldwide.
    maskedweasel
    Popple said:
    Disney?
    Other way around.. Nexton's major shareholder Kim Jung has approached Disney to sell his shares of the company to them. Disney has not responded to his plea.
    gervaise1

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I highly highly doubt Disney will buy NEXON. A) it doesn't fit them B) after acquiring fox, any major purchases for a while need to be very selective, like remaining HULU stake that goes with their current DTC wave C) Disney would probably be more likely to buy a big name if they want to acquire a gaming company. D) they were pretty adamant about not wanting to do in-house gaming, so I doubt they would buy a game developer considering they just acquired one a few years back...Lucas Arts.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Scot said:
    "Nexon Chairman Kim Jung-ju has approached Disney to discuss acquisition. Kim has said, "What I envy the most about Disney is that they do not force money out of kids. [Consumers] gladly pay Disney. Nexon has a long way to go. Some people hate Nexon to death."

Does anyone need more evidence that the founders of gaming companies had a very different vision of how to make revenue to what holds sway today? A computer and art graduate he has not exactly had an unblemished career but is also a philanthropist. Unlike the baulk of executives in gaming today his background is not just "being an executive in big companies" and this is why he has issues with how Nexon make their money.
    nexon that force money out of kids envying disney that they don't force money out of kids?  :p
  • AwakenWarriorAwakenWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Does Nexon know the true about of Disney? It seems not.