Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't find any videos on how to remove PC ram in my situation

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Mate, your computer is nearly 9 years old; it's time to save up for a full replacement. (It's also DDR3)

I went through the process of "not being able to afford a new computer" as a teen.  I spent way more money trying to upgrade my old crap than the cost of a fully new system over the years.  I don't want to see people making the same mistake I did.

Bite the bullet, upgrade to a modern system.  From the sounds of it all you need is a new motherboard/cpu/ram (GPU not mentioned, but it needs to be modern to run BDO so I assume at least a GTX 970).  AMD's Ryzen platform (something like a Ryzen 5 2600) can be had for cheap and would provide a much much better experience than your old system.

Whether you keep the old system around as a backup or a home server (Router/NAS) or sell off the parts, that's your decision, but don't keep using it while it's on life support.

Asm0deus said:
    DDR4 is the new ram that hasn't been out that long.
    Been out in mass production for at least 4 years.  Existed design wise looong before that.  DDR5 is slated for release within the next year.  So, DDR4 is hardly 'new' at this point, but yes, it is the 'newest' available RAM.
    Ridelynn said:

Also a good chance you're* due for a Windows reinstall... 
    I've never subscribed to this way of thinking.

Yes, Windows can get screwed up in ways that only a reinstall will fix, but it's not required at all, and is a huge burden to most people to do so.  The issue is 95% hardware in almost all cases I've found while working on PCs in the last 20 years.  The software cases are a bizarre nightmare.
    Baalzharon
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Speccy says this is my motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H55-M PRO (LGA1156)
    You can find the motherboard's manual here:
       https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7H55M_PRO/HelpDesk_Manual/

There are instructions on how you should install and remove RAM on the manual.

It looks like you're doing everything correctly, but read the instructions first, then if it's stuck use force to get it out. Some of the motherboards/RAMs require force when you insert and remove the RAM.
    Baalzharon

CPU/ram/motherboard is a ton more than that if I didn't want outdated stuff.
    It doesn't cost that much. If you want to get something as cheap as possible I'd recommend Ryzen 5 2600 + some cheap motherboard + 8 GB of RAM:
      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/99mvmq
    [Deleted User]Baalzharon

edited April 2019
    So I showed my tech guy and he said even though on the cheaper side, those parts on the pc part picker would still be a big upgrade to what I have. I don't really have money for a 1k upgrade anyway for like a top i7 CPU and what not and never will any time soon. But I don't have money to upgrade this month either so heh.

Hopefully in a month or two I can upgrade, would that link still be suitable then?
    Unlikely. Part prices change constantly a little, and new parts are launched. You'd better off deciding which upgrade parts to buy only once you have money to buy them immediately.

And yes that link is parts on the cheap side. If you can get some extra money above that, then best upgrade to those three parts would be getting 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB.
    Baalzharon

Vrika said:

CPU/ram/motherboard is a ton more than that if I didn't want outdated stuff.
    It doesn't cost that much. If you want to get something as cheap as possible I'd recommend Ryzen 5 2600 + some cheap motherboard + 8 GB of RAM:
      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/99mvmq
    On second thought, if someone is building/upgrading PC as cheap as possible, right now this would be even better combination:
      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DQb4jy

I replaced Ryzen 5 2600 with Ryzen 5 1600 because it looks like Ryzen 5 1600 is really cheap right now, and it's less than 10% slower.
    [Deleted User]Baalzharon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited April 2019
    DAOWAce said:
    Mate, your computer is nearly 9 years old; it's time to save up for a full replacement. (It's also DDR3)

...snip....

Asm0deus said:
    DDR4 is the new ram that hasn't been out that long.
    Been out in mass production for at least 4 years.  Existed design wise looong before that.  DDR5 is slated for release within the next year.  So, DDR4 is hardly 'new' at this point, but yes, it is the 'newest' available RAM.

...snip...
    In the context of this conversation and the fact he has a 9 year old cpu, I would say ddr4 hasn't been out that long and is the new ram.

Also does it make you feel better to give information that other already gave before you?

When some one comes and makes a thread asking for help and you come to nitpick the people trying to help it doesn't make you look clever...it only makes you look like a chump.

@Baalzharon ; the 3 parts in the pcpartpicker link are just fine and you should be quite happy with that as an upgrade. I personally would change the ram though as ryzen's infinity fabric works better with faster ram and would stick with the 2600 instead of the 1600

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4BjrbX  changed the 2400 ram to 3200 ram, price is just a little over 300$

if you go with the 1600 it would be just a little over 250$ but I would still get the 3200 ram cause infinity fabric.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tjwWpG

Baalzharon

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    DAOWAce said:
    Ridelynn said:

Also a good chance you're* due for a Windows reinstall... 
    I've never subscribed to this way of thinking.

Yes, Windows can get screwed up in ways that only a reinstall will fix, but it's not required at all, and is a huge burden to most people to do so.  The issue is 95% hardware in almost all cases I've found while working on PCs in the last 20 years.  The software cases are a bizarre nightmare.
    I normally don't either, but when you have RAM issues... guess where all the files that are on your hard drive are located before they are actually written to the hard drive....
    [Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited April 2019
    I normally don't advocate piecemeal upgrading, because it usually costs more in the long run, and you are overdue for a new system. The only items you could really salvage: PSU, GPU, HDD - you probably ought to replace anyway (I don't know what GPU your running, possible that still has some legs left on it). 

I won't recommend this, but on "extreme budget" builds I've run the computers out of the box the motherboard came in. If your willing to shop gray market (again, not that I recommend it, because no warranty support and caveat emptor) you can find some great deals as well.

I would recommend wiping your existing computer and re-installing windows on it, and selling it via Craigslist or something to offset the cost of the new build. Can usually get $100-$200 on a running rig just for showing that it turns on and boots up... trying to part out an older rig (as often happens when upgrading piecemeal) sometimes you can get lucky, but most of the time you end up with 90% of the parts in a cardboard box that you can't even give away.

You can occasionally find good deals on CPU/MoBo combos, but beware, as often they aren't really deals at all and you can do better buying something other than the deal. Microcenter tends to be really good about it though, provided you can actually physically get to one (they don't do nearly as well via online sales).

AMD Ryzen CPUs are amazing values right now, a lot of retailers have them going on fire sale to make room for the upcoming 7nm parts later this summer, and motherboards for them don't have to be that expensive.

It's actually a pretty good time to build a new budget rig right now.
    [Deleted User]
  • fbalistingfbalisting Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    anyways check what game site says for min hardware requirements could be good starting point
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited April 2019
    You need cheap old ram, use Ebay, there is tons of it on there for cheap.  Nothing expensive ram wise on that site.

I do not understand when someone says they are broke why people post expensive new parts.  Can't you people read.  Why does no one recommend a far cheaper alternative like Ebay.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Some motherboards have latches on both sides and some on only one.  The latter makes it a lot harder to get the memory out, which is a nuisance.  It sounds like that's what you've got.

As the others have said, it's probably time to replace it.  You don't want to sink money into a nine year old platform.  Depending on what you have, it may make sense to take some much more recently upgraded parts to your next computer.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I recall having this happen to me about a decade ago.  It took a few times of me trying to get the clip off.  What I ended up doing was actually pressing down on the ram into the motherboard more as it just hadn't clipped in right to start with.  

I couldn't get the clip off because the ram was actually pressing up on it too much. . try wiggling it gently and actually pressing it in further (gently applying a bit more pressure.

It took me a few times of coming back out of frustration before that worked.  I had not seated it properly but it still worked.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!