Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher Netflix series will debut in late-2019

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    No matter how bad the movie series will be, at least we got some pretty good games out of the original books. Which are more than what other IPs got by far.

As for what colour the skin of the protagonists should be, personally I don't care. The only thing is that the games have tempered people's perception on how the characters should look, up to the point where they argue whether Gerald should have a beard or not. That is going to be really hard to combat.

Regarding the author, the guy signed his soul to Holywood, don't expect to exercise any creative control. He finally got the money he thought he deserved and that's all he cared about.

As for the SJW pseudo-religion, it certainly achieved more penetration than Scientology. Cults are not liked, so the push back is natural. Even established religions see push backs, so I'm not sure why some people are surprised.
    Asm0deus
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,940
    Casting is important imo.

The seeker series from a decade ago was based on terry goodkind books and they miscast the main character, the male lead was a miscast, the female lead was perfect, but i couldnt stay engaged in the show partly because of that.

The shannara show is a decent show, but it is lacking in something that i cant put my finger on it.

The SJW thing is overblown, but each to their own. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,188
    edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    ...snip...
    Well that's what I'm saying. If I'm writing about Feudal Japan then "I'm writing about Feudal Japan" and race would matter. I'm not going to write about Feudal Japan being entirely populated by the Spanish.

Cool we agree on this then. What I am saying is that in the Witcher race is a factor in that not all the faction are the same race and nation, in fact where you are from and what faction are are for or against is important. I don't have a problem with some changes in the other characters but for Ciri it is a problem in that her "blood" and her bloodline is important as she isn't even wholly "human" but I refuse to go into further detail...spoilers and all though I am not sure this will even be in the show

Also, I"m not saying that people are being racist. Racism is about hate. I am saying that people develop an expectation to a character based upon how that character is presented. Part of that is their race (though in my opinion there is only the human race, but "whatever") and when you change a character's race that changes the relationship, or better yet, how a person relates to that character and it's difficult for some people to accept that sort of "paradigm shift."

I agree with this but want to add although we are all of the human race we are also all from various traditional descents and we should be proud of that and celebrate that rather than try to homogenize ourselves into the same little clones. What I am saying is changing things just to tick off a box will change how people react to well established characters and mostly likely negatively especially if they make drastic changes so why mess with that if your intent is to tell a good story and the change doesn't really do anything to improve the story. This change doesn't do anything at all for the story except add problems.
    And I'm saying that when "I" write I initially write white people. Me. But I would think that people write from what they know so I would not find it surprising that a hispanic person would write about their own culture and the people they know. That the Author of The Witcher series is writing from eastern european culture which does have a lot of "white" people. But I don't think one's characters have to be any race unless of course race matters in the story.

Well thanks for clearing up the white write white line I thought you where speaking more generally rather than personally. That said why should the fact the author is from poland have anything to do with his writing..writers can and many do effect some research when writing about subjects they may have limited experience about. That the author is from poland has no bearing really on his writing material or the world he created in it. I think you need to take a step back and read what you wrote in this section and think about how it comes across.

If I write a murder mystery it could have everyone black or everyone white or everyone a nice coffee color.
    Agreed
    But if I write a murder mystery "specifically" set in old Persia or South Africa, then that is going to take into account the people.
    Agreed in general
    If I write a fantasy story then quite frankly I don't care how tan or pale the people are. Or light green.

Welp here I think you're off track, in many many "fantasy" stories race is important as some races are not human and even if they are have vastly different customs or social values so I would say if you write a fantasy you had better think about it or your story is likely to suck. I mean the races and various nations not always being on friendly term is a recurring theme in fantasy

Of course, I tend to write about upper class City people in the early 20th century, in New York.
    But if I was to write about Feudal Japan, or a story set in mexico I would have to do a ton of research in order to get it right

Indeed and many authors do. That said if your writing your own fantasy story set in a fictional fantasy land you kind of make up the lore as you go, or have a base lore for each nation, race, faction power etc and generally this lore grows as you add more and more novels to the series.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,033
    Dragnelus said:
    Scot said:
    Hi, it is me again, that nuisance who asks things like "Do you the OP like the Witcher Series" and "Are you looking forward to the TV series?" :)
    Hai Scot,

I'm looking forward for it. I think/hope "superman" will act great as Gerald.

And you?
    I am as well, though there have been some questions about the leads acting ability, we shall see.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,211
    Rhoklaw said:
    Too bad it's been infested with political propaganda.
    So the Witcher will be black and gay? As after the black Achilles and black Оrpheus, nothing from US will surprise me. I understand the people there have problems with their history of slavery. But why should they involve me into their problems? I'm white and my ancestors never had slaves. Also in my country 50% of the managers are women. So US should fix their problems instead to ruin good stories with absurd scripts and castings.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Any decent budget Witcher series is a good thing to me.

If it's good, great. If it's bad, I'm glad they gave it a shot. A chance of this being good is better than no chance at all.

I mean, if it's bad, you just ignore it and pretend it never happened, right? It's not the end of the world.
    [Deleted User]delete5230
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,122
    Asm0deus said:
    Sovrath said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.
    lol I have friends who like the charmed reboot so I guess to each his/her own. It's not like the original was amazing given how often they changed their own rules for their world.

I guess I don't find diversity to be very "SJW" but just being inclusive and letting other people join the party.

I also live in a very diverse area with people from all walks of life.

Additionally, having been involved with theater quite a bit, I'm used to having recasting of parts from people who normally would not be cast in that part and have found it really can work very well.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person who should be pissed/overjoyed is the original creator of the work. If he's fine with it then it's his vision.

I mean, I've written pieces for voice that I'd normally only have a man sing but when sang by a women it really brought a whole new slant that was very welcome.

I've thought about my current work and whether or not a theater company would swap out characters for another race and my final thought is as long as they do a good job I don't care.

Which gets back to my previous thought; the writer of this work is the one that should make the final decision. If he has no say he's a moron for writing away his rights and his input and he has no one to blame but himself.

Does it really matter if someone with a great tan plays a certain part? From where I sit I don't care.
    I feel they are trying to tick boxes over getting it right and being true to canon or lore, it's simple really. 

Take the Shannara tv show...it's awful if you go in expecting it to be anything like the books prepare for disappointment, it's more of a reboot of the entire book series tbh so some people will love it but many pre existing fans will hate it.

Same goes with the new Star Wars movie, I like them but I am not familiar with the lore as I have never really read the books yet there lot of Disney hate cause many fans feel they are messing it up.

I am all for diversity and inclusiveness as long as it not at the expense or exclusion of others simply due to backgrounds.

I have always been of the mind that if you use an IP then be faithful to the existing lore and canon otherwise why bother?

As an older white heterosexual male I can't help but feel some people are just trying too damn hard to be "open" or politically correct, non racist etc etc to the point that it's almost turning into self hate.

I mean I wonder if you would have typed the same if they rebooted blade and made him white or recast black panther with someone of asian descent.

What they did to Shannara was a crime.  They took one of my all time favorite books and turned it into a heaping pile of propaganda. And it utterly failed on multiple levels.

I absolutely hate when folks feel the need to change established characters and stories.  I just don’t see the need.  Instead of changing what already exists why not create something NEW that reflects the view they want to show? I think a great example is the new Sulu in Star Trek.  George Takei the original Sulu happens to be gay.  His character was not and this is clearly demonstrated in many episodes of the original series.  For some reason they decided to write Sulu as a gay married man with a child in the new movies.  George was dead on by stating:"I’m delighted that there’s a gay character. Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate." 

To me, when you change a character to check a box you are disrespecting not only the original work, but also the cause you try to advance by pushing an underlying concept that such characters cannot be created fresh and stand on their own. 

Look at Arya Stark from GoT.  She has become one of the strongest characters in modern pop culture.  This is because of how the character was written and her development was integral to the story.  She has had a hero’s journey and a great story arc.  THAT is how you get a strong female character on screen.  People go “Arya’s a badass!!” And not “Why did Aron become Arya?”

We need more of that and less retconning stories to check boxes.

Asm0deus[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

Ah, now I read about it. So the cast is not perfect, the pale skin Fringilla will become dark black - this is not a problem to me in fact. But Henry Cavill, common, I cannot imagine him in this role. He is handsome, and we need badass. And blue eyed Yennefer played by actress from India. At least the Witcher is not black and gay. 

Anyway if they make a script with less CGI and more sense, that may become a good show.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,283
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Signed sincerely curious ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    edited April 2019
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Not sure how this is going to turn out, I have misgivings tbh...they seem to be letting the whole SJW thing interfere with the lore. 

It's starting to remind me of the Charmed reboot, which is frankly a simply awful show.
    "SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    This is a great comment. My problem is the series is that it's infested with "Live Action" and I have no interest in that at all. And since it's live action I think Netflix will heap the obligatory sex and gore in GoT/Outlander/Vikings fashion.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,412
    edited April 2019
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

"SJW" is such a trendy social-mediaish way to describe what has always been and will always be the way with any narrative reflecting the social and political views of the authors.

I get that sometimes it's forced and that looks stupid but that is not a new thing and there have always been shitty story tellers as well as good ones.

I'll reserve judgement until I have seen the series. It could be good with a "moral of the story" light touch or it could be stupidly heavy-handed. We shall see.
    This is a great comment. My problem is the series is that it's infested with "Live Action" and I have no interest in that at all. And since it's live action I think Netflix will heap the obligatory sex and gore in GoT/Outlander/Vikings fashion.
    Well, it is the witcher and the games have sex and gore. I'm assuming the books have sex, not sure about descriptions of gore.
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Well for one thing I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that in the TV series he won't be collecting dressed-for-bed cards from girls he has slept with. :)
    Sovrathikcin

25 Agrees

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    Any decent budget Witcher series is a good thing to me.

If it's good, great. If it's bad, I'm glad they gave it a shot. A chance of this being good is better than no chance at all.

I mean, if it's bad, you just ignore it and pretend it never happened, right? It's not the end of the world.
    I'm honestly not expecting too much of the show. I fear they are going to Hollywood generify the show taking away what makes The Witcher unique, and therefore interesting.
    You get a gold star for "generify." :+1:

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,047
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

How about racial swapping a key role which goes completely against the lore to meet the new "political" standards of Hollywood? Of course that statement alone is enough to get me labeled as a racist, but fortunately for me, I live in reality and can laugh such accusations off.

I loved Wonder Woman and Panther was pretty amazing. It's the infringement on intellectual property by a certain group under the guise of equality that pisses large portion of fans off. Instead of creating their own intellectual property, story, background, environments. They simply take something that already exists and twist it into an antagonistic joke.

Let me know if that satiates your curious appetite =)
    Asm0deusCaffynated

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,412
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

How about racial swapping a key role which goes completely against the lore to meet the new "political" standards of Hollywood? Of course that statement alone is enough to get me labeled as a racist, but fortunately for me, I live in reality and can laugh such accusations off.

I loved Wonder Woman and Panther was pretty amazing. It's the infringement on intellectual property by a certain group under the guise of equality that pisses large portion of fans off. Instead of creating their own intellectual property, story, background, environments. They simply take something that already exists and twist it into an antagonistic joke.

Does it actually go against the lore? Or is it that the character was portrayed as white? 

Also, are there people with better tans in the world of the Witcher? How does changing the character’s skin color adversely affect the character?

like I mentioned the author seems fine with it so if the creator of the work is good then I’m good.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,815
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

If it's anything like that new steam punk themed animation where it seems Westerners are evil monsters, it will be heavy handed. Too much of Netflix is now.
    Asm0deusCaffynated
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,311
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

If it's anything like that new steam punk themed animation where it seems Westerners are evil monsters, it will be heavy handed. Too much of Netflix is now.
    Which one? I normally like steam punk stuff but I must have missed that one.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,815
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

It's a Turn of the century animation that takes place in.......I want to say Hong Kong or some such place. It has spiritualists and demons and magi-tech. It looks otherwise half decent, but the English Colonials all being portrayed as evil monsters was a bit too heavy handed for my taste.

I think it's called Love and Robots.
    Torval
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,125
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

It's a Turn of the century animation that takes place in.......I want to say Hong Kong or some such place. It has spiritualists and demons and magi-tech. It looks otherwise half decent, but the English Colonials all being portrayed as evil monsters was a bit too heavy handed for my taste.

So... English colonials are definitely evil from the colonies point of view. Did you think they were just spreading the word?!
    CryomatrixTorval
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,283
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Forgive me but i’ve not read any of the books, I’ve only played the games.

Does the world of the Witcher take place on earth? Or some other imaginary world? I know the games basically have humans, dwarfs and elves as races. Do the world of the Witcher also have different colours of people in the different races? Or is it just humans, elves and dwarfs? Are humans in the Witcher only Caucasian? Are they even Caucasian? does that even exist in the Witcher world?

I’m just sincerely ignorant of what types of skin colours there are for humans in the Witcher world. Do the books define that? I know there is a lot of racism in the Witcher world towards elves and Dwarfs but I’ve never heard a peep about skin colour. 
    IselinTorval

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,188
    edited April 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Does it actually go against the lore? Or is it that the character was portrayed as white? 

Also, are there people with better tans in the world of the Witcher? How does changing the character’s skin color adversely affect the character?

like I mentioned the author seems fine with it so if the creator of the work is good then I’m good.
    Please...you know it is as I have answered that question, quite clearly, a couple times already.

Also please stop with the suntan comparison it's just plain asinine.
    :D

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

OK, but Netflix is global. So why they should put their racial issues to me? What is the fault of Eastern Europe for the slavery? Meanwhile we were part of the Islamic state, called Ottoman empire. Poland fought for survival with Teutonic order and Russia. In fact we also blame England and France that let the eastern part of Europe to be conquered by Islamic state. Then we blame them again, and also US that let the USSR to conquer Eastern Europe. But I do not see that is an issue in Hollywood. In my country millions were killed by Ottoman empire and hundreds of thousands by the Soviet order. And now Hollywood is fucking even our history and books.  Do you think that black Achilles made a favor to the african refugees in Greece? Such things rise hate and racism like nothing else. And at the end people die. So what Hollywood did is not a harmless attitude. 

That is why the roles and the stories should be never changed due racial reasons, as no matter if you put black or white actors, this is racism.  But honestly I'm not so disappointed by the Witcher's cast. If they want to put some black and asian actors due to marketing reasons, I'm OK, if they are not the main roles. So in fact Yennefer as indian, seems like the worst case in the cast, but with some makeup everything could be fixed, so we will see. The good play is more important. For example I did not like the Black panther. And the reason are not the black actors, but the terrible acting. While some black actors like Samuel Jackson, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Idris Elba, Jamie Foxx, they are class. Maybe with makeup everyone of them will be better Gerald than Henry Cavill.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,047
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Actually, the author, Andrzej Sapkowski, stated he had ZERO creative involvement in the NetFlix series adaptation.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,311
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    laserit said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    How so?

Forgive me but i’ve not read any of the books, I’ve only played the games.

Does the world of the Witcher take place on earth? Or some other imaginary world? I know the games basically have humans, dwarfs and elves as races. Do the world of the Witcher also have different colours of people in the different races? Or is it just humans, elves and dwarfs? Are humans in the Witcher only Caucasian? Are they even Caucasian? does that even exist in the Witcher world?

I’m just sincerely ignorant of what types of skin colours there are for humans in the Witcher world. Do the books define that? I know there is a lot of racism in the Witcher world towards elves and Dwarfs but I’ve never heard a peep about skin colour. 
    Its setting as far as I can tell, is an alternate medieval Northern Europe like most Western fantasy. In that context having nearly 100% white makes sense in the historical context since most people didn't travel very far back in those days.

Tolkien was the same although as I recall, Sauron did have some dark-skinned mercenaries from "down south."

Depending n the fantasy setting I do have much more tolerance for all white casts if they make sense in the context (would be weird if the setting was an alternate Africa though :)) But I do have little tolerance for all white scifi set in the future since the intermingling of races and cultures is happening big time now and I expect that to be even more so in the future.
    Torvallaserit
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:

That was just one episode of Love and Robots a very good series. But as soon as I realised that story was going to feature the British Empire I yawned in expectation of the caricature that it turned out to be. But don't let that put you of the series.
    IselinTorvalgervaise1

25 Agrees