Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black desert online seems to do very well

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:
    Great graphics and skimpy outfits for girls go a long way.

To be fair it has a complex and intriguing economy system but I doubt that's what will be taken from BDO for the future of how to make a good MMO. More likely the item update system which requires a second life to grind or cash shop purchases to sell on to other players will be seen again.

Complex economy system?

How?

What exactly is complex about BDOs economy?

I see this mentioned several times but there is no complexity. 

You cant even trade directly player to player. Everything goes through the auction house which has developer controlled prices.

Like there are 1000s of items(krea green weapons for example) that just sit on the auction house eternally at "minimum price" because nobody buys them.

Devs keep adding systems to remove all this from the game (like feeding green gear to level up your fairy, or devouring gear for fail stacks etc.... but with infinite supply nothing can remove them fast enough from the economy)

In a real complex economy these items would continually drop in price - not in BDO, because the economy is completely based on an impossible model of infinite supply and infinite wealth. 

As far as an economy simulator - it fails pretty hard once you really look at it

Also all the tradeskills - linear progression to level them up - and what do you do with all the money you make with tradeskills?

The only use for silver is to get better gear - aka boss gear - and if you dont PvP - what is the use???

PvE grind spot content is doable in non-boss gear just fine - maybe just have kutum and zarka - armor can.all be tri grunil, accessories can all be tri blue.

I think this is exactly the point that many lifeskillers get to - they build these large worker empires - after a while the question is - for what? To make silver- why? The only use for silver is to get better gear in the end.

Tet-pen boss gear (including accessories) costs 100s of billions in silver..... and the only real use for that is PvP

So if you are not into PvP and you are amassing all this wealth in BDO... what exactly are you going to spend it on?

The big hole in the economic system was no player trades. But I thought the diversity of it from running farms to running goods between cities was clever. I have not seen that in a MMORPG before, economies simply revolve around crafting in the MMOs I have played.
    AlBQuirky
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    DMKano said:

I think once PvE players stop and asses their own actions they realize that all their gameplay is a journey without a destination - this can have a serious dampening effect on the fun factor.
    For some the journey is the purpose and where they find the fun. The destination in a journey signifies the end. Why would those that want the journey seek conclusion of it.
    AlBQuirkyCaffynated
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    DMKano said:

I think once PvE players stop and asses their own actions they realize that all their gameplay is a journey without a destination - this can have a serious dampening effect on the fun factor.
    For some the journey is the purpose and where they find the fun. The destination in a journey signifies the end. Why would those that want the journey seek conclusion of it.
    That there is the problem. People think we play games like they do or by whatever values they use when each person plays for different reasons and methods of achieving that goal.
    AlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited April 2019
    Why does BDO do so well?
    1. afk progression
    2. easy, fast PVE combat
    3. Gear is crucial, especially in PVP, so players spend alot to compete
    4. Game is social, chat is very active
    5. Cheap entry to play ($5-10 on steam)
    6. top notch graphics, esp if you have solid vid card
    Kyleran[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyUngood
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited April 2019
    Why does BDO do so well?
    1. afk progression
    2. easy, fast PVE combat
    1. We have heard complaints about the electricity costs of that.
    2. Is easy/fast PVE enemy combat a good thing? I presume this is to enable soling to top level?
    3. Spending a lot of money to compete is a good thing?
    4. The zone chat was appalling, but I found the vast majority of players to be decent enough.
    5. Cheap to play is good? A higher entry level and a sub with no cash shop would make for a better game.
    6. Here I agree with you.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:
    Why does BDO do so well?
    1. afk progression
    2. easy, fast PVE combat
    1. We have heard complaints about the electricity costs of that.
    2. Is easy/fast PVE enemy combat a good thing? I presume this is to enable soling to top level?
    3. Spending a lot of money to compete is a good thing?
    4. The zone chat was appalling, but I found the vast majority of players to be decent enough.
    5. Cheap to play is good? A higher entry level and a sub with no cash shop would make for a better game.
    6. Here I agree with you.
    Questions 2, 3 and 5 are easier to compehend when framed in terms of who they are good for.  

;)
    UngoodScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    ikcin said:
    Why does BDO do so well?
    1. afk progression
    2. easy, fast PVE combat
    Game is solo in combination with a lot of auto activities, so the way you make it multiplayer is the chat :) But honestly it is not so successful. This is AAA title, with a lot of money invested for marketing and advertisement. So 200 millions USD revenue per year is not great success. Kakao is not some small indie company. They are in the league with NCSoft and Blizzard.
    Just gotta ask if you realize that is $200 million annually for ONE game, this is BDO's earnings, not the whole of Pearl Abyss. 

To give an idea here, Lineage II, the game you endlessly talk about, has been hovering at around 35 million annually for the last 10 years. Not bad.. not good. To give an idea, games like Aion and GW2, make around twice that.

So.. BDO, a single game, making 200 million a year is pretty damn good.
    CaffynatedKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited April 2019
    Scot said:

2. Is easy/fast PVE enemy combat a good thing?

It can be. I would compare BDO's non-boss PvE to something more like Path of Exile than traditional MMOs. I find it enjoyable, especially if you push your gear right at the recommended levels for the zone. It's less efficient than only doing content you can face tank and one shot, but it's more fun so do you value advancement or enjoyment?

It's a lot like TERA in that you have challenging Big Ass Monsters, and easy smaller mobs that you can pull 20 at a time and blow up with flashy attacks.
    SovrathUngood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    ikcin said:
    Why does BDO do so well?
    1. afk progression
    2. easy, fast PVE combat
    Game is solo in combination with a lot of auto activities, so the way you make it multiplayer is the chat :) But honestly it is not so successful. This is AAA title, with a lot of money invested for marketing and advertisement. So 200 millions USD revenue per year is not great success. Kakao is not some small indie company. They are in the league with NCSoft and Blizzard.
    Just gotta ask if you realize that is $200 million annually for ONE game, this is BDO's earnings, not the whole of Pearl Abyss. 

To give an idea here, Lineage II, the game you endlessly talk about, has been hovering at around 35 million annually for the last 10 years. Not bad.. not good. To give an idea, games like Aion and GW2, make around twice that.

So.. BDO, a single game, making 200 million a year is pretty damn good.
    First it is revenue. Also more players always played L2 on private servers, so the comparison is not correct. Also BDO is cash grab machine, everything in the game is related to buying stuff. And finally your numbers are wrong. For 2018 the revenue from L2 without the mobile game, is 54 millions of USD. It was not good year for L2. For example the revenue from L1 was 132 millions of USD. And the expenses for both are much smaller than for BDO. So L1 and L2 combined are more profitable. And in fact none of the games above is in the TOP20 of the most profitable for the year. There is not even one MMORPG in that list.
    Looks like someone got their feelings hurt.

Now, everyone look at those numbers and see that Linage I makes over twice what Lineage II makes, and I am sure all the Linage II players were very happy for Wildstar (until it shut down), otherwise L2 would be NCSofts lowest earning game.

But, now, I am wondering how you know how much L2, L1 and  BDO costs to run? Where is your source.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I disagree there....Being able to try it for 5-10 bucks draws in people that wouldn't go for box price and then pay a sub too....You may get higher quality player with the more expensive entry (no guarantee though), but the lower entry allows more to play and possibly stay.

[Deleted User]
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    ananit said:
    I haven't followed it, but I'm wondering what everybody thinks of the game, OUTSIDE of the cash shop issues?
    you can't dissociate them. the game has litteraly been designed around the cash shop. the entirety of the progression has been thought and designed around maximizing cash interactions at every corners. that's most asian mmos for you :neutral:
    other than that, the game is beautiful and i personnaly love the combat. every else needs to burn in a dumpster fire.
    @Amaranthar pretty much nailed it. Beautiful game, smooth and fun combat are the pros.

The downsides are endless grind (which granted, is a pro for some players) and increasingly more P2W cash shop items.

If a Western dev would only take the good from BDO and cut out the typically KR elements that ruin those MMOs for the Western markets, they'd have one hell of a game.

Bloody unlikely though. Our devs seem to either think most players don't care about graphics, or are just incapable of reaching the same standards Eastern MMO studios do.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/