Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught Expansion Set to Launch in September - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,959
    azarhal said:

Gorwe said:

SWTOR likely deserved better than what it turned into. Much like Anthem it was a genre that BW had no experience in and it showed. Would have made a great single player / co-op but as a MMO it just failed to live up to expectations. The investment at the time was the biggest budget MMO out there with marketing costs. I enjoyed a couple of the class stories but game never grabbed me long term.

It really should've been a hybrid singleplayer / coop game. Perhaps learn from ME3 and improve on that framework?

They started to work on SWTOR in 2006, started full production in 2009 and released it in December 2011. ME3 released months later in 2012. Between 2006 and 2012, WoW was all the rage in term of online gaming and SWTOR release wasn't as bad as people claims, the bad was a few months later when BioWare failed to fix things and release new content.

And that's because the dev team was already understaffed, not only was there layoffs, but BioWare split the team to start a new project (Shadow Realms), work on the 1st expac and maintain the game at the same time...and it didn't top there: DAI, MEA, Anthem all poached SWTOR devs too.

Then Irving screwed things up. He was moved away about 2 years ago and the understaffed SWTOR dev team have been fixing things since (rather successfully I would say).
    I'll never understand Bioware and their ass long pre-production phases.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,229
    edited April 15

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:

Bakgrind said:

Albatroes said:

Really trying to cash in on the latest movie announcement.

At least this time they are actually bringing content to SWTOR to try and hype both the movie and the game. Unlike previous years when it was the same ole same content.

How's the overall game been anyway? I've honestly been thinking of re-downloading it lately.

Why and when did you quit?

Probably a year-ish after it was f2p? I know I quit around the time that I learned that they were selling hotbar slots in the cash shop.
    Albatroes said:

Gorwe said:

Albatroes said:

Bakgrind said:

Albatroes said:

Really trying to cash in on the latest movie announcement.

At least this time they are actually bringing content to SWTOR to try and hype both the movie and the game. Unlike previous years when it was the same ole same content.

How's the overall game been anyway? I've honestly been thinking of re-downloading it lately.

Why and when did you quit?

Probably a year-ish after it was f2p? I know I quit around the time that I learned that they were selling hotbar slots in the cash shop.
    So, you didn't quit because you finished all the stories or because you had nothing to do, but in protest of sorts?
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,295
    edited April 15
    It's kind of funny that after some years of F2P titles, it became apparent that the whole moneterary scheme is not a money sink, but a money vortex. Personally I always subscribe when given the option, avoid anything that does not offer the option or anything that force me to acknowledge that a cash shop exists after paying for a subscription.

In the case of SW:TOR, it's easy to avoid the cash shop completely if you subscribe, which makes it a good deal in my book.
    BruceYeeGorwe
  • DeyirnDeyirn Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I gave up on this mediocre trash game a long time ago, now I just read the article titles about the new additions to the game and move on. I'm somewhat suprised how this trash game is still around and running. They bragged how it would kill WoW when in reality it is a bad WoW clone on its own. It doesn't have an open world, compared to WoW and compared to what Star Wars is all about, it doesn't give the player freedom to do what they want, compared to "The WoW Killer" and compared to what Star Wars is all about. It's just a themepark and the light/dark side mechanic is cosmetic at best.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member RarePosts: 6,204
    Anthem failed, so now the devs are back to the SWTOR team to create new content LOL!
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,764
    If the game came out with an actual retail expansion I'd come back and give it a shot, but everything they have done is in these short little expansions that don't add much. I'm not sure what's the point, feed players for a few days? The potential is there to make something great. It's frickin star wars!

FF14 is no god send it has it's problems too. But my god do they ever have the content right. Their patches put so much effort into expanding the game and some are even the size of this mini expansion and they are quick cycles too. Patch sets (by version numbers) have doubled or even tripled the amount of the original content of each expansion. Then the retail expansion is a huge amount of content with tons of new places to explore.

If SWToR could focus and bring production much like FF14 does I think the audience would be much more wider and the game would be way more healthier.
    Bakgrind
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • JackDundeeJackDundee Member EpicPosts: 2,683
    This is a much better MMO than it gets credit for.
    AmatheazarhalGorwe

Gaming should be your therapy, Not your reason for seeking Therapy
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,247
    I enjoyed the pvp, it was kinda messy but fun nonetheless.

I laughed my ass off when I started playing in the Sith side and the npcs were just wearing this really vibrant purple paintings, clothes and make-up.

What is this? The dark side is just a bunch of fans of glam rock or something?!
    Amathe

Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

This is a much better MMO than it gets credit for.
    Definitely. And if they don't bork anything up with ONSL, it could be very good. The only problem is that EVERYTHING in SWTOR lives in the (constant) penumbra of 1 - 50 stories. So it only looks like there is nothing while in all honest reality there is actually quite a lot to do!
    Amatheazarhal
  • MikotoMisakaMikotoMisaka Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Currently gearing is aids and a half for ppl like me that only enjoy the pvp aspect (like my fav pvp of all time is this game) but this expansion sounds like it will fix that so I'm ready to jump back in.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,011
    Myrdynn said:
    they screwed this game up when they nerfed crafting especially slicing and companions, I loved it til then
    Agreed about crafting, but not about companions. Before I used one or two companions. At least now I use my favorite companion regardless of my spec. My only complaint is sharing all of them. But at least there are more options I suppose.