Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for a new RPG

SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 79
Hi,

My husband and I are looking for a new RPG that has a science fiction theme like the Mass Effect series (including Andromeda).
Games we have played, so you can get an idea of what we like:

The Elder Scrolls series
Fallout series (including the disastrous Fallout 76)
X-Com series
Dragon Age series
Far Cry series
Mafia series
 
We usually don't play MMO's until winter, when we are snowed in.


«1

Comments

  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    Well Anarchy online just launched a new server AO2019 .it's very active and a great sci-fi game
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,184
    It's not an MMO, and it's theme while science fiction, is a bit off the beaten path (Space Ninjas) you might take a look at Warframe, it is free to play on Steam.

    Other than that, I am having a hard time thinking of a sci-fi RPG that I can recommend.

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

  • SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Scorchien said:
    Well Anarchy online just launched a new server AO2019 .it's very active and a great sci-fi game

    We played that soon after it came out in the early 2000's. Actually it was my very first MMO.
    Scot
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,775
    need to be party management or a simple space sci-fi works?

    you can try everspace, no man sky is pretty good now too. also fallout 1,2 and botherhood? or just the pseudo fallout 3,4?

    atom rpg looks a lot like fallout 1 and 2, there is wasteland too same line as fallout, but more squad oriented

    pillar of eternity are pretty good too, both and you can try kingmaker pathfinder, these are not sci-fi, but work like a Crpg like fallout and x-com,

    if you like some rogue like there is some indie games like FTL who you manage your own space ship.

    well these are what come to my mind now anyway
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    edited April 12
    Elex
    Underrail
    Insomnia

    In that order.

    Hope there’s something to your liking.

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,247
    Savageone said:
    Hi,

    My husband and I are looking for a new RPG that has a science fiction theme like the Mass Effect series (including Andromeda).
    Games we have played, so you can get an idea of what we like:

    The Elder Scrolls series
    Fallout series (including the disastrous Fallout 76)
    X-Com series
    Dragon Age series
    Far Cry series
    Mafia series
     
    We usually don't play MMO's until winter, when we are snowed in.


    It's not clear if you're asking for an MMO, co-op or single player game. If you're in the southern hemisphere it's winter now lol.

    I'm going to assume not an MMO since you didn't list any..

    The newer Deus Ex games are great. I'd suggest them first for you.

    Since you like FarCry then any of the Borderlands, Destiny 2 or Warframe could be good options. Warframe is most like Mass Effect in style.

    Prey.

    Elex.

    The Surge (if you like Souls-Like games).

    The closest match to Mass Effect though is Anthem.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,460
    Maybe go to Steam.filter to a certain genre and do like the rest of us,sift through 500 really bad games and maybe you find one you like.
    Then if unsure or a toss up between two,go to twitch.tv and watch some gameplay and you should a good idea.

    You didn't say WHY you played those other games,for all i know you just played them because they were popular or advertised,no indication as to what you liked about them,so yeah it is way better you choose for yourself using the method i stated.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,247
    Wizardry said:
    Maybe go to Steam.filter to a certain genre and do like the rest of us,sift through 500 really bad games and maybe you find one you like.
    Then if unsure or a toss up between two,go to twitch.tv and watch some gameplay and you should a good idea.

    You didn't say WHY you played those other games,for all i know you just played them because they were popular or advertised,no indication as to what you liked about them,so yeah it is way better you choose for yourself using the method i stated.
    Some people like to socialise and appreciate other people's opinions without analysing every little detail, Wiz. It's called being laid back.
    HatefullMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,291
    I'd suggest Ryzom as about the only real MMORPG that might fit your desires.  Yes, the characters and technology are going to see you fighting sword and spell against most monsters, but the world is heavily draped in SF-esque realism.  It's one of those MMORPGs that everyone forgets about for awhile, but really does have some clever implementations that other games just can't develop past the imagination stage.

    It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it deserves to be mentioned every once in awhile.



    Hatefull

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited April 12
    I forgot to say we play our video games on a PC.

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

    A good game to us:
    It has to have a strategic layer, where you pick a place on the map and then figure out your tactical and team set up before going into battle. Mass Effect is a good example.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,184
    Savageone said:
    I forgot to say we play our video games on a PC.

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

    A good game to us:
    It has to have a strategic layer, where you pick a place on the map and then figure out your tactical and team set up before going into battle. Mass Effect is a good example.
    Maybe the Total War series?

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,492
    Uh, I'll pitch something a bit 'off the wall' but I can't deny it having an actual good story: Secret World Legends. Its not really an mmorpg since you really could do everything solo or co-op if you want, unfortunately, advancing through the story is the only fun thing about the game. Its free so there's always that.
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,786
    edited April 12
    That game list is so diverse it's hard to give you good recommendations, but:

    For good RPG Witcher 3. The game + expansions are at the moment -70% off on Steam
       https://store.steampowered.com/sub/124923/

    For a game with strategy Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden or Valkyria Chronicles
     
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, it's not an extremely popular game, but those who know it tend to think it's a "diamond in the rough".  In other words, it's not the most highly-polished game and can be a bit clunky.

    Still, if you can handle the quirks, you guys might like it:
    (Steam link)
    Gorwe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    For even more clarifications, Old? New? Doesn't matter? Also, games to play together, as in co-op?

    Old games include the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2 games in the series). These are party based games with a good story. Action-y combat with pausing, though.

    The X series (X1: Gold, X2, X3) is a space simulation game, more 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXterminate, and eXploit) than RPG.

    It's interesting that Sci-Fi really cuts out a lot of games :)

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • SavageoneSavageone Member UncommonPosts: 79
    AlBQuirky said:
    For even more clarifications, Old? New? Doesn't matter? Also, games to play together, as in co-op?

    Old games include the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2 games in the series). These are party based games with a good story. Action-y combat with pausing, though.

    The X series (X1: Gold, X2, X3) is a space simulation game, more 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXterminate, and eXploit) than RPG.

    It's interesting that Sci-Fi really cuts out a lot of games :)

    We usually play single player games, only co-op play we have done is in Fallout 76. My husband and I don't necessarily have to be playing the same game, it's spending time together on a hobby we enjoy. As far as "old" games go, it would have to run well with Windows 10.
    AlBQuirkyGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,763
    The Witcher series is a gaping hole on the OP's list.
    Mendel

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,839
    ELEX, Quantum Break, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Pillars of Eternity, Assassins Creed: Odyssey

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    Scot said:
    The Witcher series is a gaping hole on the OP's list.
    Not everyone is enamored with that series, me included :)

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,098
    edited April 13
    Savageone said:
    Hi,

    My husband and I are looking for a new RPG that has a science fiction theme like the Mass Effect series (including Andromeda).
    Games we have played, so you can get an idea of what we like:

    The Elder Scrolls series
    Fallout series (including the disastrous Fallout 76)
    X-Com series
    Dragon Age series
    Far Cry series
    Mafia series
     
    We usually don't play MMO's until winter, when we are snowed in.


    Just SF or will Fantasy(and other genres) do as well?

    Regardless, with the exception of Dragon Age, it seems that you like more Open World - loose narration games. From Fantasy side, you should try Witcher(preferably 3, but any will do). From SF side, you could try Elex. And other freeform games like Freelancer, Space Rangers, Darkstar One or Drox Operative.

    Depends on your precise desires, I could try to look for more.

    Edit: Deus Ex for SF and Mordheim for Fantasy.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Gorwe said:
    Savageone said:
    Hi,

    My husband and I are looking for a new RPG that has a science fiction theme like the Mass Effect series (including Andromeda).
    Games we have played, so you can get an idea of what we like:

    The Elder Scrolls series
    Fallout series (including the disastrous Fallout 76)
    X-Com series
    Dragon Age series
    Far Cry series
    Mafia series
     
    We usually don't play MMO's until winter, when we are snowed in.


    And other freeform games like Freelancer, Space Rangers, Darkstar One or Drox Operative.
    You want to go old school, Gorwe? I've got a series for you ;)


    Mentioning Space Rangers reminded me of this.  I played the heck out of Sentinel Worlds way back.  They were like a precursor to SR.
    It definitely had a bit of a learning experience.  My first fight was a bar brawl on the space station, and I couldn't for my life figure out how to hit anyone.  It was like playing a level 1 Rogue in Everquest until you got some skill -- just kept missing until you got lucky.

    That game was so deep though.  Man, those old games had so much depth.. at the expense of quality graphics, of course.  Your party members were literally dots on the screen, I believe.
    Space flights with a crew that had roles(engineer, scientists, medic, etc.); planetary exploration vehicles; boarding actions; base/dungeon style areas.

    I can't seem to find that anywhere but abandonware/emu-rom sites.
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,098
    Lokero said:
    Gorwe said:
    Savageone said:
    Hi,

    My husband and I are looking for a new RPG that has a science fiction theme like the Mass Effect series (including Andromeda).
    Games we have played, so you can get an idea of what we like:

    The Elder Scrolls series
    Fallout series (including the disastrous Fallout 76)
    X-Com series
    Dragon Age series
    Far Cry series
    Mafia series
     
    We usually don't play MMO's until winter, when we are snowed in.


    And other freeform games like Freelancer, Space Rangers, Darkstar One or Drox Operative.
    You want to go old school, Gorwe? I've got a series for you ;)


    Mentioning Space Rangers reminded me of this.  I played the heck out of Sentinel Worlds way back.  They were like a precursor to SR.
    It definitely had a bit of a learning experience.  My first fight was a bar brawl on the space station, and I couldn't for my life figure out how to hit anyone.  It was like playing a level 1 Rogue in Everquest until you got some skill -- just kept missing until you got lucky.

    That game was so deep though.  Man, those old games had so much depth.. at the expense of quality graphics, of course.  Your party members were literally dots on the screen, I believe.
    Space flights with a crew that had roles(engineer, scientists, medic, etc.); planetary exploration vehicles; boarding actions; base/dungeon style areas.

    I can't seem to find that anywhere but abandonware/emu-rom sites.
    Well, it fits with what the OP is looking for. I forgot the X series though.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,763
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    The Witcher series is a gaping hole on the OP's list.
    Not everyone is enamored with that series, me included :)
    Some people...picky or what. :smile: 

    Ok what about Assassin's Creed or Dishonoured? AC series begins reasonably difficult but ends up a walk through by the time you get to Black Flag. But who says difficulty is even an issue for the OP? Apart from that I notice from the OP's list that all the games he mentioned are on the AAA/open world (ish) side of graphics, I assume that's right as it does narrow down what suggestions I would give.

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    The Witcher series is a gaping hole on the OP's list.
    Not everyone is enamored with that series, me included :)
    Some people...picky or what. :smile:
    Just call me Frank ;)
    "Hot Potato, Bless My Soul"

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,417
    Savageone said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    For even more clarifications, Old? New? Doesn't matter? Also, games to play together, as in co-op?

    Old games include the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2 games in the series). These are party based games with a good story. Action-y combat with pausing, though.

    The X series (X1: Gold, X2, X3) is a space simulation game, more 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXterminate, and eXploit) than RPG.

    It's interesting that Sci-Fi really cuts out a lot of games :)

    We usually play single player games, only co-op play we have done is in Fallout 76. My husband and I don't necessarily have to be playing the same game, it's spending time together on a hobby we enjoy. As far as "old" games go, it would have to run well with Windows 10.
    Dang. I'm still on Windows 7, so I'm unsure what would work "easily" on Win10...

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


    (And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

Sign In or Register to comment.