Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion is now Free to Play and not bad at all

XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
Returned to Albion - joinalbion.com for it's free to play model and was pleasantly surprised at all the new PVE and PVP content. I think they are on the right track.  The Free to Play brought back one heck of a lot of players.
madazz

Comments

  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Mobile phone game. No thanks.

    ( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

    An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

  • gago889gago889 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    paulytheb said:
    Mobile phone game. No thanks.
    it's not Mobile game. It can run on your cellphone. But it's most hardcore mmorpg outthere
    RexKushman
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 1,976
    If you support Albion Online you are supporting thieves.

    When they launched their site back in 2013 they advertised the game as the second coming of UO. They took part in forums and reddit conversations saying so as well. They stated that the game was to be one open world with absolutely no instances. They said the grinding would be absolutely minimal. They said that the game would not have zerging. They said everything player built could be stolen or destroyed, right down to housing (which I didn't get as it was supposed to be more UO like). I invested my money into the game based upon those requirements.

    It was only a little while after they sold a shit ton of founders packs based upon those false promises that they removed all mentions of UO, DAOC and Shadowbane from their site. Me and MANY others complained on their forums about the changes they suddenly made after they got our money. I requested my money back and they refused. 

    During an AMA on reddit a couple years after I called them out on the UO references. They said at no time was Ultima Online EVER written on their site. "Oh yeah?" I wrote... then provided this link:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130304105346/http://albiononline.com/our-vision/

    First fucking paragraph ass hats. Then I provided even more links to chats and forum posts showing how they pulled a bait-and-switch. No response. AMA ended and they just took off.

    Snipped from their site:
    "a game which reduces zerging & grinding to a minimum."
    "a game which you can play on any device."
    "a game where you can loose everything you did build up."
    "We don’t want it to be a pay to win game."

    Yeah... so tons of grinding is in the game, zerging is a very big part of the game, you can't play on Linux or iOS like they stated. Houses/Farms are instanced as well as dungeons. And you can pay to advance faster than other players.

    Supporting Albion Online means supporting dirty business practices. And this is why you see the game bad mouthed so much. There are a lot of ex-UO, Shadowbane and DAOC players who were sold on another game. It was both the first and last time I ever bought a "founders" pack.

    GdemamiCuppett5Kyleran
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,818
    F2P open world full loot PK PVP game - I am not sure many people realize what that means



  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Probably not, but it has a ton of PVE as well in the safe areas.
  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    paulytheb said:
    Mobile phone game. No thanks.

    It can be played on all platforms.
  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    madazz said:
    If you support Albion Online you are supporting thieves.

    When they launched their site back in 2013 they advertised the game as the second coming of UO. They took part in forums and reddit conversations saying so as well. They stated that the game was to be one open world with absolutely no instances. They said the grinding would be absolutely minimal. They said that the game would not have zerging. They said everything player built could be stolen or destroyed, right down to housing (which I didn't get as it was supposed to be more UO like). I invested my money into the game based upon those requirements.

    It was only a little while after they sold a shit ton of founders packs based upon those false promises that they removed all mentions of UO, DAOC and Shadowbane from their site. Me and MANY others complained on their forums about the changes they suddenly made after they got our money. I requested my money back and they refused. 

    During an AMA on reddit a couple years after I called them out on the UO references. They said at no time was Ultima Online EVER written on their site. "Oh yeah?" I wrote... then provided this link:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130304105346/http://albiononline.com/our-vision/

    First fucking paragraph ass hats. Then I provided even more links to chats and forum posts showing how they pulled a bait-and-switch. No response. AMA ended and they just took off.

    Snipped from their site:
    "a game which reduces zerging & grinding to a minimum."
    "a game which you can play on any device."
    "a game where you can loose everything you did build up."
    "We don’t want it to be a pay to win game."

    Yeah... so tons of grinding is in the game, zerging is a very big part of the game, you can't play on Linux or iOS like they stated. Houses/Farms are instanced as well as dungeons. And you can pay to advance faster than other players.

    Supporting Albion Online means supporting dirty business practices. And this is why you see the game bad mouthed so much. There are a lot of ex-UO, Shadowbane and DAOC players who were sold on another game. It was both the first and last time I ever bought a "founders" pack.


    I feel as though you might be a little harsh towards them, yes there is grinding but I that is going to happen in every game.

    To me it is not as bad as black Desert, Archeage or Bless as far as pay to win and a scam. But your opinion is as valid as mine.


  • DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Wonder why they went F2P to begin with? Hmm, probably because the game was a zerging grind fest of a POS game that never really stayed on track with their promises. Screw them and the game, it's a burning dumpster fire.

    Glad you're trying to do some PR for them to snag unknowing folks into the game, but this little birdie will pass. Wasted a good month on the game during launch because of a friend, such a crappy game. Well, I take that back, it's not crappy if you enjoy milling away mindlessly.
    Gdemami

    You reap what you sow.

  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Dkuang said:
    Wonder why they went F2P to begin with? Hmm, probably because the game was a zerging grind fest of a POS game that never really stayed on track with their promises. 

    It is a grindy game, any game that is full loot will be grindy. I am just happy for the changes of putting a lot more PVE in the game, because PVP will always end up a gank fest and fail the game.

    Look at how EVE ended up, now they are adding nothing but PVE content because who wants to get ganked every hour.
    GdemamiHariken
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,900
    Xateric said:
    Dkuang said:
    Wonder why they went F2P to begin with? Hmm, probably because the game was a zerging grind fest of a POS game that never really stayed on track with their promises. 

    It is a grindy game, any game that is full loot will be grindy. I am just happy for the changes of putting a lot more PVE in the game, because PVP will always end up a gank fest and fail the game.

    Look at how EVE ended up, now they are adding nothing but PVE content because who wants to get ganked every hour.
    EVE is adding PVE content to try and appeal to a broader player base and there isn't all that much more which can be added to its PVP side, already quite solid. 


    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    It is just good to see a game put in PVE and PVP content on a regular basis, so many games focus on PVP only because it is easy development. I give Albion credit for turning the gamer around the amount of people in game now is staggering.
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 346
    i wish they made pve server, i love the game, but full loot pvp made me dont want risk spend all my time in it.

    image
  • Rudedawg007Rudedawg007 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    It may not be "bad at all" to you - but to me it's not great at all either.

    It feels like a mobile game, it plays like a mobile game.

    It's boring and uninspired.

    Played for a week - and that's all I could stomach.


  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,033
    Full loot PVP turns off a pretty good percentage of the playerbase usually. Most of us just are not interested in getting our stuff taken by other players all the time.
    Hariken
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    gago889 said:
    paulytheb said:
    Mobile phone game. No thanks.
    it's not Mobile game. It can run on your cellphone. But it's most hardcore mmorpg outthere
    To be playable on a mobile, the game has to be designed around being playable on a mobile. It is for all intents and purposes a mobile game. Scaling up a phone game on my PC doesn't make it a PC game.
    RexKushmanGdemami


    MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,350
    Open world PVP= soon to fail
  • XatericXateric Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Hariken said:
    Open world PVP= soon to fail
    It has a ton of PVE now and you no longer have to be in a PVP central city to get to endgame...

  • TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 7,959
    *Sponsored*


  • LowkedLowked Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    I gotta ask, what is the end game like in this game? I got to tier three armor but not much story was revealed about it.
  • RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I played to level 6 and left it.  Gankland out there so....not for me.  I've been playing UO Renaissance.  That server is classic UO without Trammel and its great even if dated.  Its fun and the player base is mature.  If Ive been pkilled 3 times in the last 3 years is about all.  Now waiting for Chronicles of Elyria.  That sounds like a PvP game with a purpose. I'll have to check out  Albion Online again to see what changes they have made.
  • MrNylonMrNylon Member UncommonPosts: 20
    You may be able to play it on PC but the combat is for Mobile games no thnx. (I actually bought it and play it)
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,865
    edited October 6
    Albion is one decently balanced PvP MMO that is on its core a player-economy driven game.

    That is not an easy feat on its own and the gigantic number of failures on games that wanted to do stuff like EvE that is the game Albion resembles shows it.

    Its development path is also showing quite positive results with the direction they are taking, the last major updates have done the game wonders this year, especially for PvE content.



    Now if you don't like a game like EvE Online then don't come play Albion expecting something else then get salty about it, the game is also guild-based for its core content, solo players are not going to have a fun experience either.
  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,350
    Full loot PVP turns off a pretty good percentage of the playerbase usually. Most of us just are not interested in getting our stuff taken by other players all the time.
    It's like they don't want to make money. But lame-ass full loot open world PVP is easy to make. The game will die. When will game devs stop making dumb game choices like this?
Sign In or Register to comment.