Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest missed opportunity: No Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) remake or classic servers

245

Comments

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,212
    As for the P. Freeshard, I was talking to a EA rep that said the devs are looking into legal action over copyright breach over stolen material (the code I guess?).
    Interesting news, there's been long running freeshards which EA has never raised an issue against,  wonder why they would do so now against this one?

    Though someone shared some numbers recently which if still true probably means its carrying more players than live which could be the reason.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,060
    Camelot unchained. Pretty well much a remake from my limited understanding. I haven't stayed fully up to date so i can still experience something new when it launches.
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Kyleran said:
    As for the P. Freeshard, I was talking to a EA rep that said the devs are looking into legal action over copyright breach over stolen material (the code I guess?).
    Interesting news, there's been long running freeshards which EA has never raised an issue against,  wonder why they would do so now against this one?

    Though someone shared some numbers recently which if still true probably means its carrying more players than live which could be the reason.
    I stupidly deleted the email convo as I thought I'd no longer need it for anything. Granded it could have been a GM talking out their ass, but they claimed they had all been spoken to by devs and that it was being looked at.
    I'm guessing that you are correct and it is because it's making the main (subbed) servers loose players hand over fist.
    The whole crazy topic only came up because I had mentioned it in passing (my real issue was with my buffbot sub not going through correctly).
    Time shall tell. Maybe it isn't worth the cost of chasing it. It's not like EA to turn away cash though. ;)

    No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

    image

    ...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,634
    Hatefull said:
    Thane said:
    Viper482 said:
    So who knows our favorite publisher in the whole world (EA) still owns Daoc? Run by Broadsword, EA still owns the license....and as we know as long as they do they will do nothing worthwhile with it. As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

    I just think this is a no-brainer, but maybe it is because I would love to play on this server. My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

    So how many are with me? Would you be excited about a classic server? 
    screw EA. if you want dark age, wait for mark to finish camelot unchained.
    I like EA, they make good games, just not good MMORPG games
    They buy studios that make great games, then they ruin the games and close the studio.
    Margrave




  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,021
    madazz said:
    Camelot unchained. Pretty well much a remake from my limited understanding. I haven't stayed fully up to date so i can still experience something new when it launches.
    Definitely something old Daoc players should keep an eye out for if interested in RvR as the main focus.

    Daoc however grabbed both RvR and PvE players (and perhaps part of it's downfall) so I can still see an interest in a legacy Daoc server for some.


    You stay sassy!

  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Hatefull said:
    Thane said:
    Viper482 said:
    So who knows our favorite publisher in the whole world (EA) still owns Daoc? Run by Broadsword, EA still owns the license....and as we know as long as they do they will do nothing worthwhile with it. As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

    I just think this is a no-brainer, but maybe it is because I would love to play on this server. My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

    So how many are with me? Would you be excited about a classic server? 
    screw EA. if you want dark age, wait for mark to finish camelot unchained.
    I like EA, they make good games, just not good MMORPG games
    They buy studios that make great games, then they ruin the games and close the studio.
    EA doesn't run DAoC. Will post below.

    As for EA buying studios they certainly did but haven't done that for a long time - got burnt to many times is my view. Including their purchase of Mythic. Worth nothing that Mythic staff had nothing but good things to say about EA and how EA let them get on with developing Warhammer. Which suggests can't really be blamed. Although personally I think things might have gone better if they had imposed more control. So maybe they were to blame!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2019
    As I said above I was pretty sure that DAoC (and UO) are not EA games. Did some digging and - maybe? - confirmed that that is the case. (Might be since the phrase used was "operating the game on EA's behalf" so maybe EA retained "ownership" and licensed it out (probably for a nominal cent) to the (then newly created) Broadsword. Anyway here is the post: 

    https://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/next-chapter-dark-age-camelot

    A key point in the post being: Is Broadsword an Electronic Arts studio? No. However, for purposes of DAoC, Broadsword will be operating the game on EA’s behalf to continue its success.

    Full post:

    The Next Chapter for Dark Age of Camelot

    Posted by Talal Saad | 2014 Feb 05 01:58 -0500 GMT

    Friends and realm-mates,
     
    For more than twelve years Mythic Entertainment’s flagship game: Dark Age of Camelot™ has been remarkably successful. Since its launch in 2001, DAoC forever changed the MMO genre.
     
    Inspiring thousands of gamers and game developers alike, it paved the way for a generation of MMOs to follow. Through the years, Camelot has also seen its share of rough times - but thanks to its many loyal fans and its wonderful and dedicated community, Dark Age of Camelot has proven to be a true survivor. In recent months, Mythic’s leadership began discussing the question of Camelot’s future. Councils were convened, options were discussed - and finally, a decision was made regarding the best possible future for Dark Age of Camelot.
     


    I write to you now with news of the exciting next chapter in the life and history of our beloved game:
     
    Mythic Entertainment co-founder Rob Denton and a number of Mythic veterans (including two members of Camelot’s original team!) have formed a new game studio - Broadsword Online Games
     
    Broadsword Online Games will partner with EA’s Mythic Entertainment to operate, support and develop Dark Age of Camelot on EA’s behalf.  Electronic Arts will continue to provide billing and account services through its Origin portal.   Broadsword and Electronic Arts will work closely together to ensure a bright future for Dark Age of Camelot.  For future inquiries and support, you can contact [email protected].
     
    There are sure to be many questions, and we will certainly be providing more information very soon. But for now please join us in celebrating this momentous event, and spread the word that the Broadsword team will guide Dark Age of Camelot into the future with renewed dedication and the utmost respect.
     
     
    Faithfully yours,
     
    Talal Saad
    Producer
    Dark Age of Camelot


    ----------------------------


    In the wake of such exciting news, we know that there shall be numerous questions about this transition and what it means for Dark Age of Camelot. Let’s explore the answers to some basic questions:

    What does the transition to Broadsword mean for Dark Age of Camelot?

    EA/Mythic and Broadsword are working really hard to make sure that this transition is as smooth as possible. On February 5th, you shouldn’t notice a thing. Going forward, we hope to bring about some exciting new changes, improved Customer Support, and increased correspondence with the DAoC community.

    Broadsword’s dedicated team will also work to modernize and improve existing DAoC content, complete long-awaited improvements to The Camelot Herald, and establish compelling new features for Dark Age of Camelot, both in-game and out.

    Is Broadsword an Electronic Arts studio?

    No. However, for purposes of DAoC, Broadsword will be operating the game on EA’s behalf to continue its success.  

    Will there be a change in the payment system?

    Nope! Players will continue to access DAoC through EA’s Origin™ portal. There will be no interruption or change in the payment service. Players may notice that charges on their bank statements will still indicate a payment to Mythic or EA – and Game Time Codes will still be available via the EA Origin™ Store.

    What will happen to any information I’ve provided to EA/Mythic?

    Nothing.  Since Broadsword is operating DAoC on EA’s behalf, all the information you provided and may provide in the future will continue to be managed according to EA’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

    Will there be changes to the Dark Age of Camelot development team?

    Broadsword is made up of a people who are passionate about DAoC, and many of whom were responsible for the development and operation in the past.

    You can continue to expect the same high level of dedication and commitment to the game, as well as continued interaction with the player-base. You will see some new names, or possibly names you know quite well taking a role in the development of Dark Age of Camelot going forward.

    Will this transition alter the plans for Dark Age of Camelot’s near term changes?

    DaoC’s transition to Broadsword will certainly have a positive effect on our future plans. With increased bandwidth and resources we will work toward modernizing some of the game’s features and developing a tangible marketing plan to attract more players, both new and returning.

    The mission of the Dark Age of Camelot team will remain the same: to improve the game, listen and respond to feedback, and to provide the best possible content to ensure a great game experience for our players.

    Are you bouncing off the walls with excitement?!

    Why yes! Yes we are!
    -----

    We’ve just scratched the surface with these basic questions. We’ll set up an avenue for you to submit your questions about the transition, and do our best to provide the answers.

    Speaking for the entire Dark Age of Camelot team: Thank you all, very sincerely, for sticking with us through the years. We will do our utmost to take DAoC into a bright and exciting future!

    Until next time friends, we await your feedback and questions - and we’ll see you in the Frontiers!

    Respectfully yours,
    The Dark Age of Camelot Team

    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    GregorMcgregor
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2019
    Kyleran said:
    As for the P. Freeshard, I was talking to a EA rep that said the devs are looking into legal action over copyright breach over stolen material (the code I guess?).
    Interesting news, there's been long running freeshards which EA has never raised an issue against,  wonder why they would do so now against this one?

    Though someone shared some numbers recently which if still true probably means its carrying more players than live which could be the reason.

    So - assuming the report is true etc. - it is the Broadsword devs that have asked EA to take action. And the difference between "now" and "historically" is - and I speculate - what might be a "small"  loss of revenue to EA will be a "big" (potentially huge %) loss of revenue to Broadsword. 

    And since EA - I believe - still own the DAoC trademark that is maybe why they have been asked. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    GregorMcgregor
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,520
    I've got to say that while I do not like the huge power gaps of these games or the leveling systems, I liked DAoC the best.

    Wow had a lot of cool and well done stuff in it, but DAoC had cool stuff too. As a Sandbox gamer (wannabe, these days) I just liked DAoC better than the rest. I have fond memories of much of that game, even though it wasn't quite "my kind of thing."

    Take out the big power gaps and open the game world up to all levels and that would have been a kick arse game.
    Add Sandbox elements and I think it would have kicked >Massively.arse< .

    Once upon a time....

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,212
    edited April 2019
    Tamanous said:
    madazz said:
    Camelot unchained. Pretty well much a remake from my limited understanding. I haven't stayed fully up to date so i can still experience something new when it launches.
    Definitely something old Daoc players should keep an eye out for if interested in RvR as the main focus.

    Daoc however grabbed both RvR and PvE players (and perhaps part of it's downfall) so I can still see an interest in a legacy Daoc server for some.


    You only think you want a legacy server. :D

    First question,  what RSV do you want? Strict 1.69 compliant? All the way back to the original launch when there was only 20 levels? TOA? New Frontiers? Catacombs? 

    1.69 is basically around the time of the SI release, generally considered DAOC's best days, and the version the U-shard mostly adheres to.....and has been a ghost town since 6 months post launch.  

    People quickly came to loath the long leveling curve (which was still scaled back some) to get to end game.
     
    Team never could get the SI lands released due to lack of accurate data on npcs, drops etc to keep the experience "true."

    The P-shard team said screw it, they launched 1.69 with SI enabled using the available data and just made stuff up to fill in the gaps.

    The goal on P-shard is very different, they added many QOL improvements and leveling aids to get players quickly to end game RVR.

    Probably explains why they are more popular than U-shard and of course is totally free crushing live as well.
    gervaise1

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,400
    Hatefull said:
    Thane said:
    Viper482 said:
    So who knows our favorite publisher in the whole world (EA) still owns Daoc? Run by Broadsword, EA still owns the license....and as we know as long as they do they will do nothing worthwhile with it. As long as black beats red on the money books they don't give a shit.

    I just think this is a no-brainer, but maybe it is because I would love to play on this server. My ultimate dream would be an engine/UI overhaul and rerelease....but I know that is what it is...a dream. But man, World of Warcraft even gave in and is doing classic....come on Daoc! I think it would be a hit to go back to old Emain.

    So how many are with me? Would you be excited about a classic server? 
    screw EA. if you want dark age, wait for mark to finish camelot unchained.
    I like EA, they make good games, just not good MMORPG games
    They buy studios that make great games, then they ruin the games and close the studio.
    They may have done that at some point, but it is certainly NOT their business model. You do realize they make far more games than MMO's...right? MMO's are not their bread and butter.
    Kylerangervaise1

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

    In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,598
    I think Mark is doing the right thing to remove the PvE from the RvR in Camelot Unchained because when I first played DAoC it had horribly boring PvE. That is probably because the game was all about RvR and the focus was there.

    The right idea was to focus on the RvR.
    GregorMcgregorVermillion_Raventhalcheyane

  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,450
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

    I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

    Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.


    GregorMcgregor
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 2,784
    the game is better left as a memory (nostalgia stance)

    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,523
    edited April 2019
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

    I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

    Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.


    yea, but they won't. if there are no realms, players will just form a goon squad and gank everything in sight. happened every time so far they had the chance. the russians seem to be epecially good at mass ganking as it seems.

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,249
    Whatever EA buys dies. You can see it in their history.

    Origin and Wing Commander, Ultima Online
    WestWorld and Command and Conquer, Earth and Beyond
    BullFrog and Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet
    Bioware and Mass Effect, Star Wars the old Republic
    Mythic and Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online

    And the list goes on.

    To maximize their profits they not only suck all the money out of a title and development studio but also all the fun out of any game they buy up. They're just developer vampires, and they should be stopped.

    I already won't buy any EA titles. I know I'm just one person, but I'm doing my part in boycotting the devils. 80 hour developer work weeks are pure evil. No wonder they churn out crap. They're dying.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,212
    edited April 2019
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

    I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

    Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.


    Er, you are free to play all races and classes.....

    Just not in the same realm.....just saying....

    I agree wirh your points which is why I played on Mordred back in the day, access to all races, classes and realm areas where it was your guild and its allies against the world.

    I'm actually hoping MJ one day considers alternate rules servers once he gets the blue servers rolling hot.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,212
    edited April 2019
    Thane said:
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

    I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

    Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.


    yea, but they won't. if there are no realms, players will just form a goon squad and gank everything in sight. happened every time so far they had the chance. the russians seem to be epecially good at mass ganking as it seems.
    Even with realms DAOC always struggled with imbalances and zerging.  MJ has said 'this time" it will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it.

    Besides, there is a good chance they'll restrict access with regional servers as they did with DAOC in the early days. (EU and Japanese as I recall.)

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Kyleran said:
    Havent played, and not interested in the concept. Sorry. *shrug*

    I like the idea of PvP, but players should come up with competing groups by themselves.

    Also dont like being restricted in my race choices. I want to be free to play all races and classes, thank you very much.


    Er, you are free to play all races and classes.....

    Just not in the same realm.....just saying....

    I agree wirh your points which is why I played on Mordred back in the day, access to all races, classes and realm areas where it was your guild and its allies against the world.

    I'm actually hoping MJ one day considers alternate rules servers once he gets the blue servers rolling hot.

    I played that.  DOAC was ruined for me when they nerfed my cleric.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 4,607
    I voted 'memory', too.  DAoC was good for its time, but can we stop looking to the past for the future of our games?  I doubt all that many of us are archaeologists.

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,279
    Another DAOC is so far from me wanting one it's like as far as the Black holes they are looking at with huge telescopes.I couldn't take one single idea from that game and say i want that in my game.
    I feel too many people cannot separate a good game design from them simply having fun at that time surrounded by friends and people they enjoyed hanging with.This is why we see reboot servers being very popular for about a month or two then they are empty again,it is because people want to relive that honeymoon feeling but it will NEVER happen like that again.
    So by removing that honeymoon feeling,people see the games for what they really are...NOT very good and the results prove it because everyone of those become ghost towns.

    I can sway this right at Pantheon,so many want to relive that EQ1 feeling again,they will go in all happy,giving the game more credit than it deserves then after a short time realize..ok this is not really that fun,i am getting bored of the same old same old.
    It would be like buying the same car over and over and just putting a new paint job on it>.boring.Some will do that with a AAA car like a Mercedes but those are also priced way over the top,i am sure if a developer could get $1500 for selling a game they would be making AAA games too.


    Ungood

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,951
    Wizardry said:
    Another DAOC is so far from me wanting one it's like as far as the Black holes they are looking at with huge telescopes.I couldn't take one single idea from that game and say i want that in my game.
    I feel too many people cannot separate a good game design from them simply having fun at that time surrounded by friends and people they enjoyed hanging with.This is why we see reboot servers being very popular for about a month or two then they are empty again,it is because people want to relive that honeymoon feeling but it will NEVER happen like that again.
    So by removing that honeymoon feeling,people see the games for what they really are...NOT very good and the results prove it because everyone of those become ghost towns.

    I can sway this right at Pantheon,so many want to relive that EQ1 feeling again,they will go in all happy,giving the game more credit than it deserves then after a short time realize..ok this is not really that fun,i am getting bored of the same old same old.
    It would be like buying the same car over and over and just putting a new paint job on it>.boring.Some will do that with a AAA car like a Mercedes but those are also priced way over the top,i am sure if a developer could get $1500 for selling a game they would be making AAA games too.


    It's generally a bit ignorant to try to speak for all people. Especially with a one size fits all mentality.

    sure there are people who want to relive their gaming heydays but there are also people who generally prefer the older games.

    I pay the sub for Lord of the Rings Online's "reboot" server and will continue until we get to Mordor. Since there seems to be a decent amount on that server I can only assume they are enjoying themselves. Is the server as full as launch. Don't know. Probably not but I have no actual metrics to use as a comparison. I strongly suspect you don't either.

    Also, games are about having fun. And if having fun with friends is part of the menu then sure why not.

    I think people would rather play games and have fun than "good games" that are technically good but not so fun.

    So in the end, I think we can say "stop speaking for everyone based on what you like and believe."
    Hatefull
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 6,023
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:
    Another DAOC is so far from me wanting one it's like as far as the Black holes they are looking at with huge telescopes.I couldn't take one single idea from that game and say i want that in my game.
    I feel too many people cannot separate a good game design from them simply having fun at that time surrounded by friends and people they enjoyed hanging with.This is why we see reboot servers being very popular for about a month or two then they are empty again,it is because people want to relive that honeymoon feeling but it will NEVER happen like that again.
    So by removing that honeymoon feeling,people see the games for what they really are...NOT very good and the results prove it because everyone of those become ghost towns.

    I can sway this right at Pantheon,so many want to relive that EQ1 feeling again,they will go in all happy,giving the game more credit than it deserves then after a short time realize..ok this is not really that fun,i am getting bored of the same old same old.
    It would be like buying the same car over and over and just putting a new paint job on it>.boring.Some will do that with a AAA car like a Mercedes but those are also priced way over the top,i am sure if a developer could get $1500 for selling a game they would be making AAA games too.


    It's generally a bit ignorant to try to speak for all people. Especially with a one size fits all mentality.

    sure there are people who want to relive their gaming heydays but there are also people who generally prefer the older games.

    I pay the sub for Lord of the Rings Online's "reboot" server and will continue until we get to Mordor. Since there seems to be a decent amount on that server I can only assume they are enjoying themselves. Is the server as full as launch. Don't know. Probably not but I have no actual metrics to use as a comparison. I strongly suspect you don't either.

    Also, games are about having fun. And if having fun with friends is part of the menu then sure why not.

    I think people would rather play games and have fun than "good games" that are technically good but not so fun.

    So in the end, I think we can say "stop speaking for everyone based on what you like and believe."
    Well I could not find a traffic report for LotRO that was later than 2015, but, safe money is there is less players today. Downward has always been their trend, since their inception.

    And Sure, no one can really speak for everyone, yourself included, and to be fair, no one said they were speaking for everyone, but they can still talk about trends, and the broad antics of communities and demographics, with the full understanding there will be Outliers to the Norm, but at the same time, just because someone might be an Outlier, does not make them anything other than an Outliner.

    Also, Wizardry  has a point here, when I look at posts about people reminiscing about some old games, I often wonder how rose tinted their glasses are. Personally, I loved EQ1, in my mind, was the best game ever made, bar none, absolute best game ever made, back in the early days, up to Shadow of Lucien, but a lot of that adoration was due to the fact that I was young, I had time to play, it was my first major graphic MMO, I had family members that played, I was in a guild of really nice people, there were a lot of deep social factors that made that game amazing, as a game goes however, mechanics and all that, well, if it was remade today, it would suck in compairosn to modern MMO's and since my life has changed a lot, it would also suck directly in respect to the kind of gamer I have become, and I posses no illusions about this reality.

    I agree with Wizardry  on the fact that I think too many people don't really take those factors into play, when they think about rebooting old games like this.
    MendelHatefull
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,951
    Ungood said:

    Well I could not find a traffic report for LotRO that was later than 2015, but, safe money is there is less players today. Downward has always been their trend, since their inception.

    And Sure, no one can really speak for everyone, yourself included, and to be fair, no one said they were speaking for everyone, but they can still talk about trends, and the broad antics of communities and demographics, with the full understanding there will be Outliers to the Norm, but at the same time, just because someone might be an Outlier, does not make them anything other than an Outliner.

    Also, Wizardry  has a point here, when I look at posts about people reminiscing about some old games, I often wonder how rose tinted their glasses are. Personally, I loved EQ1, in my mind, was the best game ever made, bar none, absolute best game ever made, back in the early days, up to Shadow of Lucien, but a lot of that adoration was due to the fact that I was young, I had time to play, it was my first major graphic MMO, I had family members that played, I was in a guild of really nice people, there were a lot of deep social factors that made that game amazing, as a game goes however, mechanics and all that, well, if it was remade today, it would suck in compairosn to modern MMO's and since my life has changed a lot, it would also suck directly in respect to the kind of gamer I have become, and I posses no illusions about this reality.

    I agree with Wizardry  on the fact that I think too many people don't really take those factors into play, when they think about rebooting old games like this.
    Well of course, all mmorpg's lose people over time.

    And "yes" people will jump into a "reboot" server for ha-ha's and then leave.

    However, while there are people who are just "bored" (which is a disgusting state to be in considering there is so much to life to explore) there are quite a few who, as I've said, like the older games.

    I like the older games and a significant amount of people on the lord of the rings online "reboot" servers do as well. They are populated. These are not people who are there for nostalgia, they want to play the game with consolidated population.

    It does an injustice to say that people are just playing these games because of nostalgia. I'm beyond sure there are people out there who enjoy various entertainments that are hundreds of years old simply becuase they are beyond a doubt: awesome.
    KyleranHatefulljimmywolf
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,450
    Thane said:
    yea, but they won't. if there are no realms, players will just form a goon squad and gank everything in sight. happened every time so far they had the chance. the russians seem to be epecially good at mass ganking as it seems.
    Err, I said nowhere one should allow ganking.

    I said players should make their own conflicts. That means players can form groups and everyone can freely decide which group they would like to join, or if they want to join at all. Different groups then can get in conflict over a resource.

    A good example would be castle sieges from Lineage 2. Theres a certain position of priviledge a guild can archieve, initially from NPCs. Once somebody holds that position, in regular intervalls theres a castle siege in which other guilds can try to take this priviledge from the current owners.

    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
Sign In or Register to comment.