Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have yet to meet a "snowflake" here on this site.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Inspiration for this topic:
World of Warcraft forums post
<quote> 
"After all the griping about portals and flying I cant wait to see how the snowflakes handle the more challenging game that is classic"

Not only will anyone put their reputation on the line by rebuttaling this posters statement, I'm starting to believe there are no snowflakes.  

There are snowflake mmorpgs, in fact most are.  Of them many enjoy them because of their charming nature of features but not their "easy snowflake nature".  I don’t think there is a single person here that would quit a game because difficulty were increased even if it were ramped to medium or high. 

Most drop out early because of boredom.  Not from features but "easy snowflake nature". 

This post is NOT about World of Warcraft.  Please understand I would like to stress this, but I'll have to use the upcoming release of Vanilla WoW to get my point across: 

Many WILL be playing because of the challenge and nostalgia.  Many WILL NOT because it's old, abused or simply never been their style.  But most importantly EVERYONE could appreciate it's more challenging content…. Why because there are no snowflakes !

"Easy snowflake nature" is a developer decision to catch the 5 year olds too.

No one is a snowflake, but there are a lot of 5 year olds.

mmolou[Deleted User]

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Classic world of warcraft was still super easy in general.
    delete5230ScotSovrath[Deleted User]AmatheHatefullMaurgrimChildoftheShadowsDrunkWolf
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    In gaming snowflake has come to represent those who complain about anything they perceive of as difficult. I think much of this come from when you consider how easy mode gaming (not just MMOs) has become. If people are still complaining after all the easy mode changes then snowflake seems a fair enough term :)

My two favourite expressions for easy mode changes are "quality of life" and "streamlining". Not that changes made for those reasons are always easy mode but they often are. Developers only occasionally say "we are making this easier" I would regard that as a hallmark of honesty myself.
    HatefullAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I personally will not play excessively difficult games.  I'm not a masochist, and I don't want to lose anything I've worked for.  But I don't usually have reason to complain about game difficulty in an MMO.  I might complain if something is impossible to solo or gives no rewards when I'm at a high enough level that I can solo it, or I might complain that elites which have massive amounts of health aren't worth the time it takes to kill them, but none of that is directly about difficulty.  I have in the past complained about the difficulty of some non-MMO games like Thea, which has difficulty settings but the "easy" setting isn't actually easy.
    bartoni33Octagon7711AlBQuirkyGorweMrMelGibson
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Blizzard hotline: 

Mother #1- My 5 year old Johnny can't play, it's too hard.

Mother #2- Nathan is 6, he told us at the dinner table, the game is too hard, were quitting. 

Friday's Business meeting:

Boss #1- People seem to like easy…Press the snowflake button !

ScotAlBQuirkyGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited April 2019
    I was there, we were all "well quests are real easy to sort out now, classes are easier to work out and you don't need to plan the character, easier to get around as there was less back and forth travel needed".
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    "Snowflake" is s synonym for "Ass"... 

Has zero to do with something being easy or hard... has everything to do with the fact that a person feels entitled to something that they are not.

The guy that cuts in line ahead of you...
    The guy that thinks MMOs should be made for them...

Now, the reason you haven't met any snowflakes is because you are the snowflake.

mmolouAmathevandal5627
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My  problem with the genre is boredom.  Always has been.  My ideas of a MMORPG were never being a murder hobo or finish a heroic errand boy's journey only to grind repetitious content with obnoxious elitist.  

Sorry not sorry if I expected my UO experience to be the norm.  If that makes me a snowflake eh.  
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited April 2019
    Geezus why the hell is this site so hard to post on,  Couldn't you guys simply it and make it easier.  As an example you could have a bunch or premade responses or thread starters, I could simply click stuff instead of having to think, type and respond.  See I'm a snowflake and a special snowflake.  o:)

PalebaneScotAlBQuirky
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I do raiding back in the days on wow.  Quite honestly I find it quite hard.  And pvp in wow quite hard too.

In before people tell me everything else is easy... There is nothing else to do beside arena, raiding, and dungeon... after you spend 20 hours and reach max level.
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I just returned to WoW after a 9 year break.

I originally started on day one.  I ran in 40 man raids.  I rode 10 minute bird flights.  I ground exalted rep with many factions.  I did thousands of daily quests.  I spent hours farming health pots drops to support my raiding.  I had fun, but it was work at times.

Now that I'm back (with my kids)  there sure are a lot of "quality of life improvements."  Now I get to tell the kids, "Back in my day..."

Vanilla WoW was great at the time, but with all the responsibilities I have now... I do like the quality of life improvements.  I don't really need a hard game.  I just need a fun game that I can jump in and out of.

Am I a snowflake now?!?!?!?  maybe....
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The original was fun and I had some good times playing the game when the original came out.  But that time has past for me.  I'm currently soloing TD2 content and it's a tough challenge but I'm enjoying every death and every victory.  It might be nice to go back to original WoW and have a look around for memories sake but that's about all.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't think the OP knows how silly it is to complain of games being too easy,  and then to use WoW as his definition of "challenging." 
    HatefullAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Healers and tanks are the snowflakes; in a desert.
    [Deleted User]

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    What I recall about classic wow is needing about 5 UI mods to make it enjoyable. After that it was great, but the UI had a lot of problems in the beginning that made the game less fun. But at the time, it was kind of considered a joke by gamers from other MMOs because of how easy it was to actually level just off of quests (I know AC2 sort of did this, but gods that game was awful). 

Anyways, I just came here to post that I'm sure there's at least one Trump supporter lurking here somewhere. MAGAtard = snowflake these days. They usually hide as not to melt.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    True if you were a MMO gamer before and had UO, EQ, AC all ready under your belt, classic WoW were a cakewalk.
    If WoW were your first MMO then yes these people thought the game were hard to play.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    How do you know that you haven't met a snowflake?  You can't see the person sitting at the computer hundreds of miles away.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited April 2019
    How does the term "snowflake" even work in this instance? It's poking at people who think they deserve special treatment or are super unique.
    TimEisen said:
    How does the term "snowflake" even work in this instance? It's poking at people who think they deserve special treatment or are super unique.
    I thought it was poking at people that had emotions. Seems to be what it breaks down to. 
    Those that don't are the odd ones ;)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    He just wants to use that word. Delete often uses words that don't mean what he intends. 
    AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Argh! It's Spring! I'm melting....

I always thought "snowflake" meant unique (or the desire to be unique), as in "Every snowflake is different." It's a concept I've always thought strange in a genre built for massively multiplayer gaming.

I also thought "care bear" was the term for easy mode players.

What do I know?
    gunklacker[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited April 2019
    LOL @ thinking classic wow was even remotely a challenge.

unless you think trying to kill 10 scorpions with 100 other people trying to kill 10 scorpions while only 5 scorpions spawn at a time a challenge?
    ChildoftheShadows
    DrunkWolf said:
    LOL @ thinking classic wow was even remotely a challenge.

unless you think trying to kill 10 scorpions with 100 other people trying to kill 10 scorpions while only 5 scorpions spawn at a time a challenge?
    Totally. I lasted a grueling 6 months just WAITING for it to get harder and for me to be more involved. Nope, just bounce from one quest giver to another. Joy.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    As I understand it, the origin of the "snowflake" insult is as follows.  In the United States, most universities have been politically on the left for decades.  Most universities won't take official stances on most political issues, but most of the professors and administrators are on the left, and this inevitably colors some decisions that universities make.

When you perceive that most people in the area are on the same side as you on an issue that you perceive as very important, there's always the temptation to censor, bully, or otherwise punish those who are on the other side.  That can happen with politics, religion, or any other issue that people get really fired up about, and has historically happened with many different sides of many different issues.  Most adults are mature enough to refrain from trying to destroy anyone who dares to disagree with them even if they could, but not all are.

And so, some radical left-wing students want to bludgeon anyone who dares to disagree with their political views into submission.  The precise details vary, but it could mean kicking them out of the university or whatever if they refuse to recant.  It's only a small fraction of students who want to do this, but it's an example of the common phenomenon of a small, vocal minority getting a disproportionate amount of attention.

At some point, someone figured out that using the vocabulary of safety would sometimes get cowardly or sympathetic administrators to do what they want.  Basically, if you claim that hearing particular opinions that contradict your own is unsafe for you, they might force those contrary opinions to go away.  Uninvite speakers, implement speech codes that threaten to punish students who contradict your views, sanction professors, fund some partisan project, or whatever the demands of the day are.

Once they figured out that that sometimes works, that creates enormous incentives to copy the methods that worked elsewhere.  If the campus radicals had figured out that standing on their heads while reciting the alphabet backwards would get them what they wanted, we'd see a lot of that behavior, too.  And so, it quickly became common for them to claim that whatever it is that they disliked made them feel unsafe.

Some commentators on the right saw this (or more likely, heard or read about it from afar), and responded by insulting the students as "snowflakes", basically saying that they're too fragile and need to toughen up.  Thus, it became common for those on the right to hurl the "snowflake" insult at those on the left.

But that misdiagnoses the situation.  The left-wing campus radicals aren't going to spontaneously combust upon hearing a contrary opinion.  They can handle it just fine.  They want to censor the people they don't like because they want to censor them and think they can get away with it.  A more descriptive insult sometimes hurled at the same people is "crybullies".

So what does that have to do with this site?  Political topics are banned here, so the sort of contrary opinions that would supposedly upset the "snowflakes" are already banned--as is their own side of the same issue.  This thread, and especially this post, is pushing the boundaries of that line.  I've really tried to avoid throwing out anything politically incendiary in this post, trying to explain rather than to inflame.

But that does lead to my conclusion above:  how do you know that you haven't met a "snowflake" on this site?  For the most part, you don't know what the political views of the people here are, nor what they're willing to do about their views.  Because we don't debate hot-button political issues here, partisans with a wide variety of opinions may well be able to get along.  What matters is what you think about MMORPGs, not who you voted for in the last election.

And that is as it should be.  We should be able to get along with people who disagree with us on some issues.  We should be able to cooperate with such people on other issues.  That's the whole point of banning political topics here.
    Slapshot1188AmatheVermillion_Raventhal
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    As I understand it, the origin of the "snowflake" insult is as follows.  In the United States, most universities have been politically on the left for decades.  Most universities won't take official stances on most political issues, but most of the professors and administrators are on the left, and this inevitably colors some decisions that universities make.

Yeah there called smart people...
    AlBQuirky
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I see a lot of the "safety card" in my industry:

If someone doesn't want to do a particular job, they claim they feel unsafe. No supervisor or management is going to override that, and to get the job done, an inordinate amount of study, training, and equipment is then purchased to mitigate whatever the concern the employee had. Something as simple as changing a lightbulb (the classic joke) turns into a ridiculous exercise in hydraulic lifts, safety harnesses, glass containment, electrical safety gear, with a 5-man crew because one guy didn't feel like climbing up a ladder one day. And once that is determined to be the "safe" way, it becomes the norm forever after, for all cases of that event...

I see it done by other companies as well - they want to mark up a particular item, so they say "because of safety, we need to do X, Y, and Z". If you press them on it, with sound engineering support, they will often relent... 

Now, some of that is legit, I won't deny it. But I see it abused. A lot. 

With respect to politics and your post... I agree with the politics ban. To some degree, everything intersects eventually... but this is a forum dedicated to gaming, and MMOs specifically. I have no problem with the moderators wanting to keep it on topic, or at least generally directed toward that topic.

Politics are one of the three topics that are almost guaranteed to ignite a flame in any discussion because of their volatility (Sex and religion being the classic other two).

So yes, I have seen a "snowflake". As to on this site or not... I don't know. I've seen people get offended, sure, but to the degree they take some out of line action about it, no, not really. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just that the conditions to identify them aren't available.
This discussion has been closed.