Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best game to play a healer?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited April 2019
    I had the most fun as a healer in Neverwinter. You're a part of the action, not just standing there like a healing fountain.

Clicking on names at the side of the screen and then on spells is the shittest gameplay imaginable. Might as well play a mobile game instead or just turn the graphics off.
    Ungood
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    1) Guild Wars 1 Monk.

At one time it was so difficult to get a monk that I rolled a monk .
    I started loving the monk so much that in the end I started with farming with 55 solo build :)

2) Also Rift used to play bard as a healer and loved it.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Xasapis said:
    It would be easier to find a game that is not as enjoyable to play a healer.
    If you actually like being a healer, sure.

But in most MMOs theres a shortage of healers, for a reason.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Healing is dying.  Most classes are some version of DPS these days.  
    UngoodRemyVorenderGorweHatefull
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Healing is dying.  Most classes are some version of DPS these days.  
    Which is something that is very wrong with the genre
    RemyVorender[Deleted User]GorweUNH0LYEV1LHatefull
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO so many ways you can do it. No mater the class in eso where there’s awhile there’s away. 
    Octagon7711
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Inquisitor in EQ2 was fun for me and truly felt like i was doing something too help my group , my 2nd choice is White mage in FF14 even though they are in a bad spot right now .
    Scorchien
  • HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I will second the Minstrel in LotRO.  It's the only healer I solo-ed extensively, though still not that much.

No one has mentioned The Secret World yet.  I had a lot of fun healing with an Assault Rifle in the group instances.
    PirrayaOctagon7711

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    i am not a big fan of playing a healer but i have done it,even as a Black Mage within FFXi which is supposed to be a nuker not a healer.
    That is the great thing about FFXI,the subclass allowed players to help out on certain roles.geesh i don't even need to think for a second,FFXI has the most healing opportunities of any game,i don't think it is even close,like FFXI does healing a 9/10 and everyone else a 6/10 or worse.

How about this just for MAIN classing...Well first of all i should say that healers in FFXi can do a lot more than just healing.i might be slightly off on a few things,i have not played FFXi in a long time.

WHM-White Mage..Eventually gets a weapon skill called hexa strike,quite potent 5x attack.Lowers enemy defense,AOE heals,gives party protect defense,Haste for any player which speeds up their attacks and spells.Know what i can't name them all so https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/White_Mage_Spell_List

RDM -Red Mage,arguably at least in the early years the best most versatile class in the game.A sort of healer/nuker combo class but also can melee and with so many tools can do pretty much anything from solo kiting to nuking to debuffs/buffs raises does it all.Combined with a Ninja sub class gave it incredible staying power.

Blue Mage-Maybe the most unique class in any rpg game ever.You learn all your spells from the creatures in the game,learns a few heals as well can tank,nuke weapon skills a very versatile class.

Dancer-A class i originally scoffed at but eventually gets to be a pretty strong class.heals by utilizing tactical points as well can give the party a to-hit HPdrain effect or a MP drain effect or a Hastega effect giving all party members haste.Accumulates those TP points via melee combat.

Paladin-Well everyone knows what paladins do,they take dmg very well and can heal and the heals also give them hate management.

Scholar-a weird mix of black mage/white mage similar to what a RDM does but different.Uses charges/Stratogems and has some unique abilities the mage classes don't.Can AOE heal as well.
    Then there are a myriad of classes that because they have a lot of mana can sub class healing roles and be quite good at it,example bard's,Summoners,Black Mage.

That is a LOT of healing potential within the game and any of these classes can do well soloing if need be,some much better than others of course and depending on the sub class which just gives ALL classes tons of versatility.

best of all...you are not STUCK in the mud playing one class/role,you can play ALL classes on the same player.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Rift - Chloromancer - I had a lot of fun with the original Chloro (tried to go back recently and they've ruined it). You've got all the typical traits of a mage, and can take the standard mage toolkit with your secondary souls (teleport, polymorph, etc.), but you're as good, or better at healing than a cleric while putting out respectable support damage. It was a very busy class where you had to constantly be doing damage, but also keep track of your party's health and debuff status. Very fun.

Warhammer Online - Disciple of Khaine (melee) - I specify melee because the AoE spam spec was boring AF. It was a great class to get in and mix it up with. You did excellent damage, and with a guard you could stay up in the middle of the enemy where most DPS would be scared to go. It was a really innovative class.

TERA - Priest - More of your classic healer archetype, but with the excellent action combat of TERA you had to do more than sit in the back and play whack-a-mole with healthbars. The limited range of your powers meant you had to stay in tight to the boss and be ready to respond to the tank being in trouble or rescue the DPS who can't figure out that the red stuff on the ground is bad news.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    bcbully said:
    ESO so many ways you can do it. No mater the class in eso where there’s awhile there’s away. 
    The best thing about healing in ESO is that its different enough from other mmo’s.
    but if its the most fun? 

i somehow have better memmories from vanguard, eq and ff14
    yet ESO definately is a fun game to play a healer in..
    Iselin

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    bcbully said:
    The best thing about healing in ESO is that its different enough from other mmo’s.
    but if its the most fun? 

I hate healing in eso, its so easy and just spam and smartcast.
    Kajidourden

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    but if its the most fun? 

I agree that it can be fun - especially as a healer/DPS hybrid which I do quite a bit of. Sorcerers and NBs are especially good for that.

But that's only in the less difficult group content. Once you start doing some of the trickier veteran dungeons and trials it pushes you into full-time healing.
    gervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    CoH was great fun.

Also worth dwelling on its design approach which used sub-classes; see also @Wizardry 's comments on FFXI. And - to a greater or lesser extent - how modern games have gone even further.

The problem with a "trinity" design. Design the game around a pure dps, pure tank and a pure healer and - assuming the game also has some form of progression - then you have to provide a way for the tank and healer to level. Which means grouping will - pretty much - have to be essential / mandatory. 

If you don't then you end up with tanks complaining that it takes them 20 minutes to kill a mob (Paladins in DAoC) and healers complaining that whilst mobs cannot kill them they can't kill mobs (Mind controllers in CoH).

Which - invariably - leads to a shortage of players willing to level "more slowly" through content

To "fix" this designers can add dps to heal and tank classes. Cue complaints from dps classes. More than one game has ended up in a seemingly never ending cycle of class-balance boosts and nerfs. Whilst also being beset by not being able to fill groups with healers / tanks. 

Hence designs with sub-classes - which I think have always worked better. Rift had an interesting take as well.

Adding the ability to changing class "focus" has also been used but - almost invariably - the tank/healers "dps" ability is regarded as "sub-par" to that of dps classes. (Often is as well). It ends up just being a solo boost and often not entirely sucessful.

Which leads to games that - essentally - have no classes. In such games people can play dps when they are solo leveling but opt to play a healer or a tank when grouping. ESO is an obvious example. And one in which players can mix maybe 2 classes for easier stuff but for harder content you need a full on tank and a dedicated healer.

The advantage of a more flexible design - sub-classes or no class - is that if any character can use (pretty much) all the skills/sub-classes that are available designers don't have to worry about class balance. If all players can use all skills its a level playing field. Maybe they need to carry lots of different gear, train more abilities, learn how to play all the classes etc. but they can. 

And that also makes it easy to fill roles in groups. Providing - as I said - the player offering to switch roles has the gear and the skill to play that role.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I've really only had healers in WoW and ESO.  My favorite is ESO.  I have leveled every class to 50 healing and it is fun finding the tricky, hidden ways to heal on some of the classes like Nightblade, Sorcerer and Dragonknight.   I am having a blast right now healing with my Dragonknight… throwing that RockFist thing and getting huge heals... uh yes, you have to morph it to heal.

I have been on a quest lately to get every aspect of each of my ESO toons to 50... 50 level, 50 all skill lines, 50 all weapons, 50 all armor, 10 in all the guilds... oh and 50 in all the professions.  

I am almost finished and haven't died a single time in Null Space  <--- that is funny!

Sz  :)

gervaise1Octagon7711bcbully
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I really love the Minstrel in LOTRO.
    Agent_Joseph
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I usually don't play healers in mmos, but i found WoW shamans to be enjoyable.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As the poster way above mentions ,yes it does sort of lean towards grouping but that is why the sub class design is so much better than altaholic designs.

Players want to be more versatile,have more options,so they will level up several classes which keeps grouping and noob zone always busy for a very long time.

However over time new ideas came into FFXI most all of them worth arguing good or bad but none the less they were ideas and better than most games content.FFXI added in abilities to get in game copies of npc's to join you forever and soon added many more.So you had options to play ANY class you wanted and to never have to wait for a party if you didn't but the grouping option was always there and much faster.
    Within FFXi you could add in ANY npc class you wanted,they were all there and with the Beastmaster class you had the ability to have yet another sidekick that was unlike other games a VERY powerful pet.You could also simply tame a pet in the wild as well,i laughed when i tried Wow,there is no comparison in the equality of classes.A pet class in FFXI is actually cool/fun and very good.

None the less it is about healing,a WHM had them all single heal,AOE heal,HOT, and several buffs and debuffs."a class that matters,,haha as a healer in an actual grouping game you most certainly do matter.

Sadly if yo umissed the FFXi wagon,you missed a really good game.You could still just check it out,you can buy the game for super cheap and that is the ENTIRE game plus usually a  free month.it is a LOT more user friendly than the early years but still walking in blind to a game with hand holding you might miss a lot the game has to offer.

Oh and another great idea,in FFXI you can actually heal OTHER groups,other players locked into their own combat,you know the way a real open world game should be instead of instanced groups/battles.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Anything made before 2010, and you will be sitting pretty sweet as a healer.

Anything made after 2010, and it's kinda hit or miss.
    Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The strangest healing I've encountered is in Skyforge.  You DPS the mobs and they release healing orbs.  If your DPS is too low they don't drop as many orbs and you're in trouble. 

SWTOR has some classes that have very decent healing skills. Also SWG, as a medic, doctor, or TKM, you had some good healing abilities.  But just about every class had a few to use in combat.
    Ungood

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    KortTjock said:
    I have to say Global Agenda. But it first was a hub based "mmo" but later became more of an MMO, like Warframe. Otherwise I would say World of Warcraft is a faithful pick.
    Neither of those games are MMO's by any definition.

Healing in WoW always looked interesting...I mean when I wasn't tanking and not facing anything but the boss.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I'll go with Vanguard aswell, absolutely aswsome healing classes. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:
    but if its the most fun? 

I agree that it can be fun - especially as a healer/DPS hybrid which I do quite a bit of. Sorcerers and NBs are especially good for that.

But that's only in the less difficult group content. Once you start doing some of the trickier veteran dungeons and trials it pushes you into full-time healing.
    I solo healed all the vet content as a NB. I started off heal/heavy dps. A couple weeks later and a bunch scared shitless runs I was solo healing better than most. 

The tools are there. You won’t find your answers on a website though. You gotta make it. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    In what game did you enjoy healing most, and why?

NOT WoW!

I concur with others that in the Everquest universe healing had a better feeling to it, even as a Paladin tank (I originally never played a healing class before, but in EQ2 I did so much off-healing as a tank, wanted to do it full time).

That's even why I came to play WoW, they have Holy Paladins as a full time plate healer. Well, used to be. These days Blizzard can't make up their minds if Holys are Rets or Rets are Holys, and I terribly dislike that ARPG feel of the class now (no healer is at the bosses feet FIGHTING to heal, literally).

Now I play a tank Paladin because, again, Blizzard made healing gear drops RARE again (as there's only one plate healer and "not enough loot competition". Why it took me 17 weeks in WotLK to even SEE a shield to roll upon, as Blizzard made Holy gear "Extremely Rare" drops. Been like that since vanilla. Every DPS and tank spec is geared faster than a Holy Paladin ... on purpose.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    2 games spring to mind, primarily FFXIV:ARR, the Scholar to me is the most fun 'healer' class because it is also so versatile, but i've also had fun as a combat medic in Planetside 2. Healers are only really fun to play when the game in question is more 'group' or 'team' focused. I did however experiment with creating a 'cleric' class in ESO, using Templar template with Heavy armour and mace + shield weapon skills, it was surprisingly effective ;)