Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Enters Beta Phase & Celebrates with New Trailer - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 29,197
    Finvega said:

Sovrath said:

Finvega said:

5 days ago you could fire up Wolcen, create a female char, and play through the Story and the Acts.

Now you can Only play a default Male, and do repeat-instance dungeon "tasks". No Story, no exploring, just one dungeon run after another.

In other words, Alpha was a complete game, Beta is a very limited testing environment that will tire quickly.

You aren't supposed to be "playing a game" with the idea of an experience that continues your enjoyment. You are supposed to be testing.

If you are playing thinking you are supposed to be having an enjoyable "gaming" experience you need to stop. Why does this need to be said?

They very well might want to concentrate on various aspects of the game now that it is feature complete in order to polish/alter them.

Yes.. no fun for you, Tester! Work I say... work for us the Dev's! And PAY us for the work, damnit! What the hell is wrong with you complaining?
    Did it ever occur to you that testing is actually fun for people?

There is a huge difference between playing a game and testing a game. You aren't being given the game as a finished product that will "hopefully" not tire you quickly. You are being given the game, parts of a game, maybe even just pvp or maybe just crafting or in some cases just logging in, in order to test. There are people who love being a part of that process.

If you don't love/like being a part of that process then why do it? Sounds to me like you just want to play the game NOW!
    Torvalblueturtle13Panther2103
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,026
    I am following this one closely.  It seems pretty interesting, and for me right now I would rather play this over Torchlight Frontiers.  Will have to see how they both come along, though guessing by their pace of development the two will probably release around the same time.
    Sovrath
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,696
    I am following this one closely.  It seems pretty interesting, and for me right now I would rather play this over Torchlight Frontiers.  Will have to see how they both come along, though guessing by their pace of development the two will probably release around the same time.
    Keep an eye on Warhammer Chaosbane as well it is out in June
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,621
    edited March 2019
    I got a chance to play the beta test to that thanks to a gift key from @Scorchien. I agree with you. It has a retro feel to it similar to Diablo II in some ways. Fans of both will want to check it out for sure.
    blueturtle13
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I own this game, tested Beta and it still needs a lot of work.

Game used to be 8/10, they went silent for months, released Alpha, my rating went to 5/10 at that time. Now with this beta its 6/10.

The game just does not " feel " right or worth playing long term atm. But they say a lot more is planned for beta release so, just wait few more months. Trust me on this or don't i am just sharing my thoughts.

It has potential and i hope it makes big boom one day.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,013
    Torval said:
    I got a chance to play the beta test to that thanks to a gift key from @Scorchien. I agree with you. It has a retro feel to it similar to Diablo II in some ways. Fans of both will want to check it out for sure.
    Aww man, come on, here I was trying to dismiss it thinking it would be dungeon Siege 3 like.

With Sekiro, the new GD expansion and DQ11 STILL waiting to get played, where am I going to find the time.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    blueturtle13Torval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,908
    I like the graphics and the fact that the visual effects are not over the top.

I also did get a little bit of a Diablo II vibe from that video. It may be worth a try.
    TorvalTacticalZombeh
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 252
    If you want worse version of Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and Diablo where you can see inspiration from all of 3 mentioned + no content, gratz, Wolcen is game for you! What is Wolcen's biggest plus? You can be absolutely braindead and still do more than fine, you don't need to worry about anything like in Grim Dawn or PoE ...They had vision with Wolcen and gave up and started to copying popular ARPG's...this game is literally one step forward, two steps back :)
    edited March 2019
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    Aww man, come on, here I was trying to dismiss it thinking it would be dungeon Siege 3 like.

With Sekiro, the new GD expansion and DQ11 STILL waiting to get played, where am I going to find the time.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What do you mean by DS3 like. I've never played them so it could be. I also only played a weekend of limited content so my experience is extremely limited. I did enjoy what I played though. It wasn't Diablo 2, but shared some stylistic commonalities. It really felt like its own game from what I did get to experience. The Warhammer setting is nice. I would like to see that expanded in the future if the game takes off.

I also have DQ11 yet to be played. Fortunately Wolcen is still in early dev. They seem completely focused on the new system so that is a huge step forward in my opinion. I'm still testing it out.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 4,013
    edited March 2019
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What do you mean by DS3 like. I've never played them so it could be. I also only played a weekend of limited content so my experience is extremely limited. I did enjoy what I played though. It wasn't Diablo 2, but shared some stylistic commonalities. It really felt like its own game from what I did get to experience. The Warhammer setting is nice. I would like to see that expanded in the future if the game takes off.

I also have DQ11 yet to be played. Fortunately Wolcen is still in early dev. They seem completely focused on the new system so that is a huge step forward in my opinion. I'm still testing it out.
    DS3 combat was a bit slower and you were never fighting large groups. Classes were interesting but there was little to no development or building and tweaking, just a small group of skills you could modify a bit. It was also very story driven with no backtracking or repeatable/random content. It was almost more of an isometric action game and while some fun was to be had its most definitely not what I am looking for in a WH ARPG. The loot was pretty boring too without exciting modfiers and variety. Chaosbane really felt like the above to me and I want a more Diablo3 / experience badly for this universe.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Torval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,908
    In the steam reviews, quite a few people complain about the game being "dumbed down" during the transition from alpha to beta.

Can someone who has experience with both comment on this? Has the game lost depth and complexity entering beta? Does it feel too shallow and simple in its current state?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 7,536
    I am not sure but does this game have  a pet class?
    Chamber of Chains
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

DS3 combat was a bit slower and you were never fighting large groups. Classes were interesting but there was little to no development or building and tweaking, just a small group of skills you could modify a bit. It was also very story driven with no backtracking or repeatable/random content. It was almost more of an isometric action game and while some fun was to be had its most definitely not what I am looking for in a WH ARPG. The loot was pretty boring too without exciting modfiers and variety. Chaosbane really felt like the above to me and I want a more Diablo3 / experience badly for this universe.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Thanks. That makes sense. Both Chaosbane and Wolcen need to work on making the loot chase more attractive in my opinion. For me, Diablo 3 is still the gold standard. Victor Vran also does it right like Grim Dawn and Titan Quest. I need to care about the stats and modifiers on gear and I need to "want" to hunt for better ones.

In the steam reviews, quite a few people complain about the game being "dumbed down" during the transition from alpha to beta.

Can someone who has experience with both comment on this? Has the game lost depth and complexity entering beta? Does it feel too shallow and simple in its current state?
    My SteamPlay install is broken. The launcher window starts. I can create a character but once I enter the game the display breaks. I'll hop over to a Windows install later tonight, check it out, and report back. I've played both before and I wouldn't say dumbed down at all, but different. I've only played the beta for a little while last fall so my memory of the event is hazy.
    coretex666

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,920

Only had a few days of alpha play, but it has definitely lost  depth and complexity.  There's just a dungeon treadmill right now in beta.  You could wander around the world's zones in alpha.  Weapons were more obviously complex.  Spell/abilities weren't always tied to weaponry.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    cheyane said:
    I am not sure but does this game have  a pet class?
    As far as I know Wolcen doesn't have classes.
    Hery, @coretex666 ; here's my update.

I hopped over to a Win10 partition and launched the game. It worked okay and let me get may character into a map and into combat. Then I went back into Ubuntu and launched the game in SteamPlay mode. It also worked fine so I don't know what the original issue was. The rest of my play is on Ubuntu through SteamPlay. Also, all my play was in private mode.

The game play loop right now is just doing a map run. The quest giver provides an objective, sometimes with optional objectives, and then a reward when completed. I'm only level 10 and another mode opens up at 15. I'll try and remember to give an update then if it's worthwhile.

The game does have classes. It asks you to pick one of three class archetypes at character creation. The skill dial also has class skill lines. It doesn't seem restricted to any one class though. I picked "mage" at creation and didn't see any penalties for choosing skills in any other line. I didn't pay close enough attention at creation to notice the difference between any archetype selection other than provided starting gear and the initial 2 skills.

Every level you get a skill point and can select a node in the complex skill tree. The skill tree is a dial of concentric rings that rotate around a center circle, connecting different skill branches. The core branches determine what outer branches are active. This is where pictures would be helpful.

Gear is a mess right now. I think this hasn't seen a lot of attention yet, so I'm not really concerned. The core framework for gear is in place, but the bonuses, progression, and stats are just a mess. Knowing a little where they've come from and what they've been working on, this isn't a concern now, but it will eventually need work.

This is a good step forward. I'd still caution against purchase unless you're willing to toss $30 at the possibility it may not work out. Right now there isn't much to do, but exploring skills and playing around is fun. The instances get a little repetitive, but the combat is challenging. I've had my butt handed to me a couple times in boss fights.
    coretex666Arglebargle