Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could an Exploration-Focused MMO Succeed?

2»

Comments

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Everything described in this thread is Modded Minecraft. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I have been playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn lately, and I have to say that even something as simple as their "Photo Mode" was a really nice touch for making me want to reach beautiful spots and take pictures.
    Even little features like that can add a lot of incentive to exploration.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Some good ideas in this thread. NMS is finally in a state that satisfies my desire to explore and see what is next, I would, however, love to see this realized in high fantasy.

I think it would be cool to be out and about and run across another player,  and do what a famous Kinder did and show all the maps I made, and share what's in my pouches. That would be awesome. Or team up with a group just because we want to team up, not that we need to. Have dungeons we discover scale to the party size. Etc.

Could be so much fun.
    Amaranthar

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Wizardry said:
    That is the mindset of the young generation gamer,gimmee gimmee,they do NOT understand WHY you game,they need a carrot on a stick or they are lost.I guess it is he same reason devs use the yellow marker over npc heads,need to hand hold all the clueless people that can't think for themselves.

OMG no don't make me immerse myself in the game,all i want is to get the best loot and the less thinking and easier you make it,i am soooo happy.

Except guess what,lots of us playing Atlas right now,we don't get any major rewards,it is just fun ,the feeling of an immersive world with creatures that look and move realistically with danger around every corner.Building stuff is fun,why do you think Minecraft has been so popular for MANy years?Sailing the seas in realistic looking water filled with sharks is again fun,we don't need any glowing  +15 Sword of wordly destruction to have fun.
    Oh no , you don't understand the romance of mystery , the beautiful of greed and the thrill for fortune . They are base of why we keep exploration

And we talk about MMO gaming here , if the reward not worth a fortune , then people will spoil your game still it bone so there are no more mystery

Will people willing to share a fortune with other ? that's a question

That's why exploration game don't become hit . Read more novel , we talk about men's romance , about pirate spend his life time for the treasure , or the knights travel for cities of gold in far away land

You can play a game for fun in while , but it can't become master piece if it lack of what drive us human to move .

You can have a cheap exploration focus game with cheap gimmick , but You can't have success exploration focus MMO without the heavy of gold to nail it .
    Remember , exploration is hash , and you can't make a hash game without greed drive . And if it not hash , it not exploration , it's just a dig play in backyard .
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    My earliest memories of EQ were being thrown into the world with little or no direction and we had to explore. I thought it was great. Have never found another MMO that did that again, especially  one WoW appeared, exploration was pretty much all over.
    Hatefull
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    edited March 2019
    Just take away maps and minmaps and game worlds seem much more larger and exploration based. 
    Need a way to make my own and a mini map, even with minimal information is must for me. I tried playing mortal online and damn, that is what killed it for me. 
    I'd love to see that. I'd like to see a map making tool that draws the basics. Mountains and hills, rivers, lake edges, streams.
    Limited in range, but able to add to this auto feature  as you move.
    Then an ability to add feature icons where you want to, and add text for descriptions.

Then I'd like to be able to take these smaller maps and add them into a larger map (without losing the smaller maps), by your own placement so that gaps could lead to mistakes in placement.

Discoveries of ponds, dungeons, ruins, caves, etc. would all be added personally, using the tools. So they too could be a little off if you're not careful.

Plus the ability to copy a map in your possession, or one that's on a wall, as in a inlay or relief in a ruins, or a castle.

Once upon a time....

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Worlds Adrift.   Pretty much does it.  Though they suicided themselves upon the PvP and inexperienced developers alters.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    It's not just Exploration.
    You also need Discovery, in lots of ways.

-All kinds of terrain features, including underwater caves, waterfall caves, beautiful/magestic scenery, natural wonders, and the like.
    -Ancient ruins
    -Dungeons of all sizes
    -Treasures
    -Collectables such as statuary, carvings, reliefs, mundane items in unique forms, etc.
    -Artifacts and Relics of magical power
    -New spells
    -Tomes that, once deciphered, can teach new skills in crafting, combat, alchemy, etc.
    -Scrolls, one use, to teach new or add skill to existing skills
    -Ancient work shops that an appropriately skilled character can learn from to enhance crafting
    -New races that might open the door to new player races

There's really no end to what can be done as far as discoveries.
    Very true, pure exploration is very dependent on how good the graphics are.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scot said:

... the rise of the tiny MMO has led to that.
    I have this picture now in my head of people who buy those tiny houses. Only now they have orcs and elves in them.
    AmarantharScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A lot of MMOs are exploration based.  You start off in a small village or town and go off to seek fame and fortune by exploring the world.  Some games even give you decent xp for finding new places as well as exploration achievements.  I don't think I'd like a game that stripped everything else away.  A few games, it was possible to level to max by exploration, gathering, and crafting.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Scot said:
    It's not just Exploration.
    You also need Discovery, in lots of ways.

-All kinds of terrain features, including underwater caves, waterfall caves, beautiful/magestic scenery, natural wonders, and the like.
    -Ancient ruins
    -Dungeons of all sizes
    -Treasures
    -Collectables such as statuary, carvings, reliefs, mundane items in unique forms, etc.
    -Artifacts and Relics of magical power
    -New spells
    -Tomes that, once deciphered, can teach new skills in crafting, combat, alchemy, etc.
    -Scrolls, one use, to teach new or add skill to existing skills
    -Ancient work shops that an appropriately skilled character can learn from to enhance crafting
    -New races that might open the door to new player races

There's really no end to what can be done as far as discoveries.
    Very true, pure exploration is very dependent on how good the graphics are.
    Well, you need good graphics like any game. I'm not sure you NEED great graphics in anything else than the visual aspects, and most of what I mentioned doesn't rely on that.
    But man, if this game had great graphics it would rock.

Once upon a time....

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sometimes I've reached a level or saved a little village and thought, "This is it.  I like this place and want to stay here."  Once I came back to a place and now spend most of my time there.  It's next to a world boss and some local events, so I login, do a few of the events then call it a day.
    AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey