Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before there were video games, there was pinball

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,208
edited March 24 in General Gaming
To me, pinball games were the true precursors to modern video games. I used to love playing them. My grandfather worked at a store that sold and repaired pinball machines, so I could go there in the morning and play all day. 

You can also trace some parallels to evolutions in gaming. Over the years, pinball games got faster and faster, with more and more lights and sounds, where players needed to aim more carefully and interact more.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

MendelHatefullTokkenlaseritKyleranimmodiumAsm0deus

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,986
    edited March 24
    I love pinball!

There's a place I go sometimes in Delray that lets you play unlimited games for $10.  You're only supposed to stay an hour, but honestly they don't really enforce this (how would they, even?).  They also have these nice historical blurbs about the games, so it's even a bit educational.

I really like the ones from the 70's.  My favorite so far is Mata Hari.  Black Hole is also great, although technically that's 80's.
    AmatheTorvalHatefullAsm0deus

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 4 tracks in Distance

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,431
    I loved some of the later pinball games.  Multiple levels, ramps and even with a game-within-a-game, and great music.  Oh, and dazzle-happy!  Enough lights for a Vegas ripoff, like Tahoe.

PhaserlightAmatheTorvalHatefullimmodium

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,102
    The concept was good, just most pinball machines were crap
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,632
    My fave of all times:   Fireball!

Old school, but to wonderful excess....
    HatefullTorvalPhaserlightKyleran

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,890
    Pinball lover here too. Thanks for the thread. I had to look up most because I couldn't remember the names. I remember what the decks look like though.

Faves:
    Addam's Family: The ramps and how you set up combo multipliers was so awesome. You could into this great loop and pop multiple game credits on a good run. I think it has great rhythm.

Mata Hari: Simple game with cool combos. Fun to work tilt up at the top.

Flash Gordon: Another fun combo system. Deck is way too open. The ramp level is kind of gimmicky, but still fun to play.

Firepower: This one rocks. There are several real skill challenges in the game and you could charge up buffs and protections. So fun.

There are some more. Black Hole is another one Phaserlight mentioned I like. My favorites all have interesting ways to build combos that involve skill shots against bumpers and paddles. Ramps and loops can be fun. I also like a nice balance of space and interaction. A deck that is too open and sparse is boring. A deck that is too packed feels "over the top" to me. I haven't played in years.
    Phaserlight
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Holy hell, I can't imagine how many coins I must have dumped into a pinball machine called Magic City when I was a nipper.
    HatefullTorvalPhaserlightKyleran

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,580
    I remember my first 'arcade' had air hockey, pool tables and lots and lots of pinball machines. (and smoke, no laws against smoking back then.)

Glorious times ....

immodium

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,169
    edited March 25
    Gorgar :)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,622
    What a trip down memory lane! Great video :)

I wasn't much of a pinball player. The games just never grabbed me. I did enjoy looking at the scantily clad drawn women with their 70's hairstyles posing in bikinis or cut-off shorts :drool:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

• markost22markost22 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited April 25
    I loved the pinball games when I was young, I loved the speed the lights and the sounds of the game.

Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip
    Post edited by markost22 on
    Torval