Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misti's EQ

"DAoC fixed most of the bad things about EQ, unfortunately they didnt stop there and took out most of the fun stuff about this type of mmorpg too." ~ misti

I have to ask, what is it that makes EQ so much fun...... that other games have left out?

-=-=-=-=-
A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.
A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Comments

• ShelkShelk Member UncommonPosts: 66

I don't know why people are so obsessed with EQ either.  I played UO from beta and jumped into EQ when it first launched.  Played EQ for 2 months and went back to UO.  I felt EQ was far inferior gameplay wise.   Weak player economy, no player housing, ridiculous PvP dueling, a revolving door monster killing leveling treadmill class restrictive BS.  I'll take UOs freedom and character individuality over that anyday.

Shelk

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820
    3000 dolalrs on ebay for a peace of virtual land. Insane

Kiamde

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    Same here i played Eq for awhile and thought it was completley nasty, it actually made me stop buying pc games for awhile lol. I can see why someone can get addicted to Ultima Online, but everquest just something about it that strikes me as amazingly boring.

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well like it been said a 100000 times it is down to personal taste.

Now for a game to be addictive it has to be very intresting.

So basically, 200,000 people find UO intresting(some of those accounts are ppl with more then one account)

400,000 people find EQ intresting(some again with more then 1 account)

Really it is down to general taste.

If you like crafting and player houses you would find UO more intresting.

But remember some people don't care for those things instead they want quests and dungeon crawls.

While UO shines over EQ in houses and crafting(something SWG is doing pretty well now) ,EQ shines over UO in quests and dungeons(something no game seems to be getting right yet).

So basically while games like UO and SWG are geared towards a more society based  game with economy and player cities ,EQ is more towards the D & D feeling with a lord of the rings type of environment.

So it boils down to what type of player you are.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

well

there are SO many things to do

so its just....addicting

i dont know

but my theory is that the characters are bigger on the screen than the ones in daocimage

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724
    I wish EQ really was mine.  $$$  image

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    But your not going to answer the question?

-=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by Misti
    I wish EQ really was mine.  $$$  image

it dosent matter to you....you have a 3thosand dollar computer, and you calll it "not expensive"

heheimage

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Since misti didn't respond. I'll give my opinion why EQ has and still so well. 

1. Changes, are scary.. people fear change.  You bought EQ you play it, you know it... why change now? And have to learn all that over again?

People still eat spam... doesn't make it good.

2. Content

I'd never suggest anyone play EQ. It's a outdated game based on horrifically bad idea's that make the game a chore to play.

But it does have allot of content I can't argue with that. Although I think the quality of content has degraded allot since Brad stole away all the dev leads, they can still turn that level crank and drop out new zones. Now over 150+ zones... few people will ever see all them. I played the game over 3 years, and there about 10 zones I've never been in.

I wonder how long you can consider the number of zones a asset since only a handful are actually still used.  Out of the 150 zones only 30 or so see any use.

Sure content is more than zones, but since Brad left, the lore is lame.

3. Time committed. You have 468 days played... you really don't' just walk away from that.  WoW that's allot of played time. I'd can't a say I blame you, have some salt to rub in the wound?

4. The people

Most people leave EQ then come back.. why. The people they like to chat with are still in EQ. For allot of  people the game is as much chat room than a game.

Socializes bring new socializes to the game, the fewer socializes in a game, the fewer number of socializes will want to play the game.

To quote the Bartle Essay on RPG's

"socializes can talk to one another on any subject for hours on end, and come back later for more. The key factor is whether there is an open topic of conversation: in a game-like environment, the MMORPG itself provides the context for discussion, whether it be the goings-on of other players or the feeble attempts of a socialize to try playing it.

Note that this kind of subject-setting is only required as a form of ice-breaker: once socializes have acquired friends, they'll invariably find other things that they can talk about.

The more socializes there are in a game, the more new ones will be attracted to it. "

I predict a long future for EQ, probably longer than EQ2 for the above reasons. 1 and 4 are the most powerfully reasons why EQ is so dominate in this market.

Much better MMORPG's are on the market now... and they will only get better as time goes.

-=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late until it's released, but it's bad forever.

-=-=-=-=-