Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney revives Lucasfilm Games as EA flounders with 'Star Wars'

DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
Is this the end of EA with the star wars IP?

we can only hope.
GregorMcgregorHariken

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I read that this morning. Honestly, I think it's the death knell for EA and the Star Wars IP.
    GregorMcgregor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Disney does not mess around. If they’re not making the profit margins they want they make changes.  I’m surprised it’s taken this long. 
    GregorMcgregor
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    This may be a very good time for Disney to start making inhouse games with so many gaming studios laying off staff.
    KilraneLackingMMO
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SBFord said:
    I read that this morning. Honestly, I think it's the death knell for EA and the Star Wars IP.
    This news doesn't change anything though. EA don't have exclusive rights to the Star Wars IP (for games). Disney retained the right for Disney to make SW games.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2019
    Disney does not mess around. If they’re not making the profit margins they want they make changes.  I’m surprised it’s taken this long. 
    Its an IP deal. Most likely one in which EA pay Disney $X whatever profit EA does or doesn't make.

Now - maybe - this is sending a message to EA and any other company that might be interested in retaining the SW IP  - in the case of EA - or acquiring the IP - in the case of other companies.

The message being: if we don't get the $$$ we want for the IP we are perfectly capable of making games using the IP ourselves.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Disney probably wants to cash in on the BR frenzy.
    PhryRidelynnMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited March 2019
    Acornia said:
    This may be a very good time for Disney to start making inhouse games with so many gaming studios laying off staff.
    Actually it could save the IP if they hire the right people.They have the money to back development. Lots of great Lucas Arts IPs they could revive.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Yes very much so Tiller. If Dinsey has already spent two years laying the ground work for a new studio, back end equipment, what game engine to use, and how to tie it in with their new streaming service Dinsey + and the Dinsey store.

I don't know if basing operations out of San Fan is for the best.  Seems that LA would be a better choice for them.

Things I would like to see them make would be a SWG 2 and something like the old Dinsey animemator from the 90s.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Don't really see anything positive, Disney is not a 'safe pair of hands' when it comes to IP's in that sense they are no different to EA, they both take on IP's and run them into the ground. Will be extremely lucky if its not just some rushed job to make money, i really would be surprised if a half decent game came out of it, as much as i would like to see a SWG2, Disney isn't likely to be the one to help create it, its likely just going to be some random mobile game. :/
    [Deleted User]MustikosAlBQuirky
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    After The Last Jedi, cannot really say that this instills confidence a good Star Wars game will come out.

Not saying that EA deserves the rights either but better the devil you know than the devil himself?  Yeah I messed that saying up but you get it
    Like I said, they have the money to hire the best for game development, I guess give them a chance cause EA isn't doing it.  As for Star Wars live action movies, they have always been rough story-wise. Not everyone will be happy with what they present in the limited time format. It's why SW fans tend to like the novels and comics more.  I think they should focus on live action Star Wars story telling on the small screen, like the animation. In fact that is what they are working on currently.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAlBQuirky
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    gervaise1 said:
    Its an IP deal. Most likely one in which EA pay Disney $X whatever profit EA does or doesn't make.

Now - maybe - this is sending a message to EA and any other company that might be interested in retaining the SW IP  - in the case of EA - or acquiring the IP - in the case of other companies.

The message being: if we don't get the $$$ we want for the IP we are perfectly capable of making games using the IP ourselves.
    I think it probably just takes them time to evaluate and report on it first (since you are talking about the fact that they took over a lot of stuff in the IP here. Gaming is just a part if it). Auditors don't normally finish their work quick.

Corporate environment often require proper audit and reporting before they make a business decision call.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    If swtor was under anyone else I would love it. I have been dreaming of Disney kicking EA to the curb for years.
  • irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I have 3 games I want but will probably never happen. A new Star wars galaxies, another Jedi Knight game and a new KOTOR game. They keep making trash star wars games when they already have built up a fan base for these titles......
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Wasn't it LucasArts?
    Gorwe
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited March 2019
    Well I think it's important to understand some of the things that seem to be overlooked here. The first thing is that Disney has a binding contract with electronic arts until 2023 with Star Wars. They can't just pull out a contract without any ramifications and if they did do that the ramifications would be huge for breach of contract. So it's important to realize this is likely not gonna happen.

None of the listings are for developers or game artists; they're for roles like producer, associate brand art director and marketing coordinator. The listings mention helping build the next great set of Star Wars and Lucasfilm heritage products with developers and managing the review and approval of interactive products that incorporate Lucasfilm IP, such as Star Wars film and television properties. 

While some might wish Disney would take away the licence from EA, which has just produced only two Star Wars games, both sequels, in six years, there's nothing to suggest that will happen. But with the cancellations and the issues caused by Star Wars Battlefront 2's business model, it may be that Disney has decided to become a little bit more hands-on. It could also be interested in remastering or bringing back classic Star Wars games. Heritage products suggests that's a possibility, and there's certainly an appetite for it, judging by the reception to fan remakes of Dark Forces and Star Wars Episode I: Racer. 

From wikipedia

"It was founded in May 1982 by George Lucas as Lucasfilm Games, the video game development group of his film company, Lucasfilm. Lucas initially served as the company's chairman. During a 1990 reorganization of Lucas companies, the Lucasfilm Games division was renamed LucasArts.

LucasArts was acquired by The Walt Disney Company through the acquisition of its parent company Lucasfilm in 2012. On April 3, 2013, Disney halted all internal development at LucasArts and laid off most of its staff. However, LucasArts remained open so that it could retain its function as a licensor.[5][6][7]

Development of games based on the Star Wars license will be carried out by Electronic Arts, through an exclusive license, for the core gaming market. Disney Interactive Studios retained the ability to develop, and LucasArts retained the ability to license the franchise for the casual gaming market.[8][9] Development of video games based upon other Lucasfilm properties will now be assumed by Disney Interactive Studios or licensed to third parties."

Dinsey still keeps the LucasArts logo alive for copyright and trademark use.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I don't know why you're all so excited for Disney to take over the IP. Have you SEEN The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi?
    ThupliMustikosAlBQuirkydave6660
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Phry said:
    Don't really see anything positive, Disney is not a 'safe pair of hands' when it comes to IP's in that sense they are no different to EA, they both take on IP's and run them into the ground. Will be extremely lucky if its not just some rushed job to make money, i really would be surprised if a half decent game came out of it, as much as i would like to see a SWG2, Disney isn't likely to be the one to help create it, its likely just going to be some random mobile game. :/
    Yeah where is this coming from?  Disney isn't in the business of running IPs into the ground.  The only one running Star Wars into the ground isn't a Disney person.  It's an old Lucasfilm lady turned SJW who has an inflated head now that Spielberg and Lucas aren't around calling the shots on everything.  If Lucasfilm continued without George Lucas and produced Star Wars films, it would be lead by the same psycho and she would have ran it into the ground with or without Disney.

Plus, Disney can't do worse than EA.   They only managed to release 2 sequels, cancel one game, and tease another for years in the past 6 years.  It would be nice to atleast get a Star Wars game instead of letting it die and shooting it in the ass with MTX Crates.

Disney has reaffirmed their commitment to EA.  Sure, for the 10 year deal.  Which would be set to expire in 2023.  If Disney revitalizes LucasFilm Games they might be ready to release something when that contract expires.  They haven't hinted, that I can find, that they are committed or even leaning towards renewing that contract with EA.
    Thupli

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited March 2019
    Image result for what ea did with the star wars licence in 10 years

[Deleted User]Mustikos

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    The damage done to the IP since George Lucas decided to start making more movies is irreversible, to the point that their games are the least of their issues.  

Mustikos
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Turns out it's fake news someone made up because there was some job postings for LucasFilm Games. LucasArts, the development studio, is not the same thing as LucasFilm Games. LucasFilm Games has existed since LucasArts closed and they are purely in place to make sure standards are met. They've released a statement saying they are still committed to third party development and to working with EA.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DrunkWolf said:
    Is this the end of EA with the star wars IP?

we can only hope.
    SBFord said:
    Unsubstantiated. Here

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.