Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outer worlds is a Epic Store Exclusive

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,036
    edited March 20
    Damn it I guess I'll finally have to check the Epic Store out now.

Lets see.. Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Amazon Games, Glyph and Bethesda.net are all taking up real estate on my SSD at this moment. Why not chuck another client on top eh?

Torval

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• WBadgerWBadger Member UncommonPosts: 282
    edited March 20
    That moment when your options are epic store or windows store, and you're actually leaning towards using the windows store for once.  Forget steam, epic store is the best thing to happen to Microsoft.
    BloodaxesXasapisDaranar
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,019
    WBadger said:
    That moment when your options are epic store or windows store, and you're actually leaning towards using the windows store for once.  Forget steam, epic store is the best thing to happen to Microsoft.
    Since the game is First Person I have to go Xbox One. Only reason I have a console sitting around now. No matter how much I crank up the FOV I still get motion sickness
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,108
    bartoni33 said:
    Damn it I guess I'll finally have to check the Epic Store out now.

Lets see.. Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Amazon Games, Glyph and Bethesda.net are all taking up real estate on my SSD at this moment. Why not chuck another client on top eh?

Why the Bethesda one?  I mean.....unless it is for Fallout 76. If so, I'm sorry?  Because that game was J.O.R. (Junk On Release).   Many were skeptical anyways so...

Amazon Games is only for The New World. And that game is still in way early Alpha.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    WBadger said:
    For a second I had that thought, then I realised I didn't care for that game that much. Might as well wait for a "GOTY" edition, probably in a discount price too.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 376
    I don't mind buying this on Windows Store.  I have a $10 credit anyway.  I'm not giving a dime to Epic Games.  The only reason I have the platform was for a free copy of subnautica.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,157
    Make a few billion and you get all cocky ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Queue the "its not on steam so I am not playing it" tune Wilbur.

This is not a surprise and will not be the last.
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Welp looks like I'll be waiting a year to buy The Outer Worlds then.
    TorvalIselinimmodium

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,827
    Not surprised. I'll be playing it on Xbox One X anyways. 
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,368
    Welp looks like I'll be waiting a year to buy The Outer Worlds then.
    Look at it this way.  Maybe they'll have finished the game by then.

blueturtle13MisterZebubTorval

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    It makes me wonder the impact of going exclusive.  Epic is paying into or cutting their own cuts deep to keep these games exclusive.  To a developer that's a let's jump in the pool kinda situation cause it's almost pure profit.  If enough jump in the pool then Epic has won the first battle, they are strong arming steam.  The war is much more convoluted but they seem to be gaining ground.

How long until people accept the fact it's another launcher needed much like UPlay? It might be the backwards retard cousin of Steam but it will expand and evolve to match the exact market with time.

The real question, is now that shots have been fired and continue to be fired how will Steam respond?  Worry about "off-topic" review bombing probably isn't going to do anything to get that market back.

Even the big dog at some point has to growl and show their teeth. 
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    It makes me wonder the impact of going exclusive.  Epic is paying into or cutting their own cuts deep to keep these games exclusive.  To a developer that's a let's jump in the pool kinda situation cause it's almost pure profit.  If enough jump in the pool then Epic has won the first battle, they are strong arming steam.  The war is much more convoluted but they seem to be gaining ground.

How long until people accept the fact it's another launcher needed much like UPlay? It might be the backwards retard cousin of Steam but it will expand and evolve to match the exact market with time.

The real question, is now that shots have been fired and continue to be fired how will Steam respond?  Worry about "off-topic" review bombing probably isn't going to do anything to get that market back.

Even the big dog at some point has to growl and show their teeth. 
    I don't think it matters. We are the minority when it comes to the gaming sphere. I would guess that not even close to half of the gaming population goes on gaming forums and the likes and talk about this sort of thing. In reality Epic was already in a good position because of Fortnite. Just like movies. 

People online were trying to boycott Captain Marvel but in reality only 10% of movie goers saw those boycotting posts.
    MisterZebub
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,766
    If you're a Windows user this is the smart way to buy it if Cross Play is supported.

This really sucks for me and I'm a little pissed about it. They advertised on Steam. It was on my Follow and Wishlist and now I'm out of luck. I don't use Windows and the PS4 is my sons main rig. I normally buy stuff we both play on it like FarCry, Division, and Borderlands.

It doesn't make me happy when a product, app, movie, or album is advertised on a platform and then pulled at the last minute. Think of the outrage when a few music artists did this with Spotify and Apple Music. It's infuriating if you're caught in the cross fire. All it does is turn me off from playing the game at all.
    bartoni33
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:
    If you're a Windows user this is the smart way to buy it if Cross Play is supported.

This really sucks for me and I'm a little pissed about it. They advertised on Steam. It was on my Follow and Wishlist and now I'm out of luck. I don't use Windows and the PS4 is my sons main rig. I normally buy stuff we both play on it like FarCry, Division, and Borderlands.

It doesn't make me happy when a product, app, movie, or album is advertised on a platform and then pulled at the last minute. Think of the outrage when a few music artists did this with Spotify and Apple Music. It's infuriating if you're caught in the cross fire. All it does is turn me off from playing the game at all.
    It's not last minute like Metro. The game doesn't even have a release date yet.
    SBFordbartoni33
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

Oh  well that makes it okay and me feel a lot better. Nope, they can still fuck right off.
    Arterius
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

edited March 20
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

Oh  well that makes it okay and me feel a lot better. Nope, they can still fuck right off.
    I guess I just don't get your anger about this situation. You claimed on the other post that you have a PS4 so there is no reason for it.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,659
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

I guess I just don't get your anger about this situation. You claimed on the other post that you have a PS4 so there is no reason for it.
    Not 100% sure but guessing his anger comes from the decision that was made to hold hostage for ONE YEAR a game people were expecting to play on Steam at launch and by doing that have in some way said "screw you" to potential customers/fans.
    BruceYee said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

Not 100% sure but guessing his anger comes from the decision that was made to hold hostage for ONE YEAR a game people were expecting to play on Steam at launch and by doing that have in some way said "screw you" to potential customers/fans.
    I don't get how its a screw you. They are business and money talks. That goes with any business and what product they sell. I guess it helps that I just got into PC gaming but exclusives don't bother me at all 
    SBFord
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

I explained why I don't buy games like this on the PS4 and wont' be getting it on the PS4.

I'm angry because studios and publishers are playing circle jerk games with their titles for political purposes. There is no reason not to release it on Steam. Microsoft releases tons of other games on Steam like the MasterChief Collection, Killer Instinct, and many more. Unless they plan on totally breaking their relationship with Valve, then why do this other than politics? It pisses me off that I'm caught in the crossfire of such bullshit. So I'm not going to rollover and thank them and ask for another.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,300
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

I explained why I don't buy games like this on the PS4 and wont' be getting it on the PS4.

I'm angry because studios and publishers are playing circle jerk games with their titles for political purposes. There is no reason not to release it on Steam. Microsoft releases tons of other games on Steam like the MasterChief Collection, Killer Instinct, and many more. Unless they plan on totally breaking their relationship with Valve, then why do this other than politics? It pisses me off that I'm caught in the crossfire of such bullshit. So I'm not going to rollover and thank them and ask for another.
    Maybe they just like the split?

They get to keep 20% more of the final sales.  That's not insignificant.
    SBFord

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,659
    Arterius said:
    BruceYee said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:
    Arterius said:
    Torval said:

I don't get how its a screw you. They are business and money talks. That goes with any business and what product they sell. I guess it helps that I just got into PC gaming but exclusives don't bother me at all 
    Money Talks? Show me where it mentions how many people are playing the games on Epic that aren't Fortnite. Oh, that's right they don't have a Steam Charts to show player numbers so there could be only a handful of people playing games that aren't Fortnite and we'll never know. Who loses both "money & business" when you aren't maximizing the amount of potential customers a game could have>> the developer. Like @Torval said this is more than just money it's being persuaded to use an inferior product with known security issues like @Baalzharon mentioned in this thread when there is a perfectly good NO RISK distribution platform with all the extra bells and whistles.
    Torval
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Yes! give me more first person sci-fi singleplayers, im all in. Only thing that its Epic Store and all those other clients are shit after using only steam for so long, but if this is a good game, then i can live with shitty launcher no problem.