Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion Online Going Free to Play on April 10th - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

Sovrath said:

Daranar said:

When are we going to stop acting like going F2P is great for a game.

"This change will bring incredible new dimensions to the world of Albion, as a new generation of players ready to make their mark on the world enters the fray."

Translation: "The game is dying, we aren't making enough money, we tapped out our core players. So we need to make a final push to grab a few more cows to milk to keep our jobs a few more months or maybe a couple years if we get lucky."

1, why shouldn't they do what they can to stay in business? Don't they owe it to the players who have spent money on the game and who would like to continue playing to do what they can to continue?

2, are you saying that if you owned a business you wouldn't figure out ways to keep it going? You would just sit there and pick your nose and shrug your shoulders and wait for the repo man?

3, Why shouldn't people fight to keep their jobs and stay employed?

2019 and people like you still think these companies care about the players.

These are the same people that flatout said you SHOULD be paying their optional sub if you even want to dream about being competitive in any way.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Thats what happens when you serve and listen to a handful no life PVP players. So the remaining 2-3 guilds of hardcore players are not enough to cover your server maintenance fees? Everyone left except a few guilds who just do zerg pvp. They said "Bye carebears, this is a hardcore game and it is doing great" just last month....

I told them they will go f2p in a few months and most likely shut down after that, and they laughed at my comments saying the game population is growing every day...

SlyLoK[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Asch126 said:

Sovrath said:

Daranar said:

"This change will bring incredible new dimensions to the world of Albion, as a new generation of players ready to make their mark on the world enters the fray."

Translation: "The game is dying, we aren't making enough money, we tapped out our core players. So we need to make a final push to grab a few more cows to milk to keep our jobs a few more months or maybe a couple years if we get lucky."

1, why shouldn't they do what they can to stay in business? Don't they owe it to the players who have spent money on the game and who would like to continue playing to do what they can to continue?

2, are you saying that if you owned a business you wouldn't figure out ways to keep it going? You would just sit there and pick your nose and shrug your shoulders and wait for the repo man?

2019 and people like you still think these companies care about the players.

These are the same people that flatout said you SHOULD be paying their optional sub if you even want to dream about being competitive in any way.
    Not seeing a problem with that, pretty much true in most games especially if there is a patron or sub available.

Did you really expect to get by just on the box price? Or a single account for that matter?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited March 2019
    Just finished my 50 hour Tutorial (Level 1-30) in Division 2. There is way too much to do now! LOL
    I'll be busy with it for awhile. :smiley:
    oriya9Roinsakinol[Deleted User]

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Since they installed the anti cheat software it was safe to assume even before the announcement that it was going to go f2p at some stage.
    ChildoftheShadows

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    it will be interesting to see hundreds of bots in every zone and hundreds of selling gold spam messages...
  • oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited March 2019

Avanah said:

Just finished my 50 hour Tutorial (Level 1-30) in Division 2. There is way too much to do now! LOL
    I'll be busy with it for awhile. :smiley:

I'm in the exact same boat. Just finished everything in the "tutorial" about 2 hours ago.
    Tomorrow is a big day for me, getting into the endgame stuff :smiley:
    Assuming that the endgame will be fun (which my friends who got to endgame already say it's awesome), I don't think I'm going to have time to play anything else anytime soon, having too much fun.
    Very excited :blush:
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Every time I hear about this game I think of this video. lol

natpicksakinolManWithNoTan
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• serzenotserzenot Member CommonPosts: 2

Aeander said:

This one hadn't caught my interest as a subscription game, but as a free to play one, it might be fun to try with one of my RL friends.

I coulda sworn it was B2P.

Well it was b2p with premium, premium is kinda mandatory, but can be bought with in game currency :d just need to grind for that
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    priceless
    Renoaku
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2019
    natpick said:
    priceless
    I personally dont see the game going well at all for them or people sticking around for long, I mean like they still have rule 4.5.1 and the moment the cheaters return to the game making thousands of accounts, and doing RMT many users who don't even knowingly take part are going to start getting banned again...

Though based off the last forum post I read online they suspended a buncha people who engaged in RMT rather than bans I am guessing because the population is already pretty low they didn't need to lose more.

This game still can't be called a sandbox if users cannot freely give away items or currency, and others cannot accept without the fear of possibly losing an account because one of the parties may have violated rules which is my concern if the game goes F2P.

Speaking of such you never got back your account right?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    SlyLoK said:
    Why not just swallow your pride and make a pve ruleset server... Old UO doesn't work these days. Heck it didn't work back then once more games became available without pvp.
    There are ways to play this game as only a PVE game. You can check out Hempbeard's stream to kind of get the feel of how the game can be played as mostly PVE.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    And another one bites the dust
    And isn't it another open world PVP game? No wonder it went f2p.
    [Deleted User]SlyLoK
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Sovrath said:
    Daranar said:

1) anyone who dumps money into these games are suckers.
    2) I WOULD NEVER EVER run a business like these MTX whores.  I won't take advantage of kids running fast and loose with their parents CC especially after reports and studies of modern MTX games creating real gambling addictions in youth.  
    3) They can fight all they want.  That doesn't make my translation off base.  In fact that reaffirms my translation.  Fight.  But don't look like a moron going, "Oh we're not grasping at straws, we're making the game...better!  Yeah..."   

It's just like Epic acting all righteous for giving more of a split to developers.  No, you are undercutting the competition while backed by massive chinese companies to take marketshare and get more exclusives.  Then when you've eliminated the 30% cut guys you raise your cut to 35.  Oh and you can pay less because you spend less on security and you sell your users data....sorry got distracted.

Where was I?  3, yes... I should hope they put more effort towards finding a new job than keeping a timebomb of a job.
    BruceYeeManWithNoTan

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Daranar said:

Sovrath said:

Daranar said:

1) anyone who dumps money into these games are suckers.
    2) I WOULD NEVER EVER run a business like these MTX whores.  I won't take advantage of kids running fast and loose with their parents CC especially after reports and studies of modern MTX games creating real gambling addictions in youth.  
    3) They can fight all they want.  That doesn't make my translation off base.  In fact that reaffirms my translation.  Fight.  But don't look like a moron going, "Oh we're not grasping at straws, we're making the game...better!  Yeah..."   

It's just like Epic acting all righteous for giving more of a split to developers.  No, you are undercutting the competition while backed by massive chinese companies to take marketshare and get more exclusives.  Then when you've eliminated the 30% cut guys you raise your cut to 35.  Oh and you can pay less because you spend less on security and you sell your users data....sorry got distracted.

Where was I?  3, yes... I should hope they put more effort towards finding a new job than keeping a timebomb of a job.

In this case though they are actually a small company that has improved their game significantly over time. This PVE update today is a big push toward the game going in a more of a PVE direction.

The monthly sub can be purchased with in-game currency and keep in mind that you do not need the subscription at all times just when you intend on grinding your eyes out. The monthly sub also gives you special rewards every month and some of them can be sold to put toward your next months sub.

If you never intend to PVP endgame or craft then sub really isn't even needed if you decide on what skill lines you want to advance early on because PVE gives you the highest amounts of fast earned fame in the game.

Like I said in another post check out Hempbeards's stream on Twitch if you are looking into the PVE parts of this game.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Renoaku said:
    But what about all the gold Sellers and bots?

Won't they just run rampant, commit fraud, and force the game to close?

The company should sell to someone else who can better manage it.
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine when you buy gold again.
    RenoakuAlexander.B
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Daranar said:

Perhaps we'll stop acting like it when it is no longer often so.

Switching to having a f2p model is often beneficial from a revenue standpoint which can make the difference between continuing on or shutting down.

A game shutting down isn't much good for anyone that enjoys it, hmmm?

It can also be beneficial from a population point of view. Games that rely a fair bit on player conflict require a healthy population to be at their best. If they aren't getting that with their current pricing model this could put them in better stead.

Time will tell whether this choice serves to revitalize the game or be the final death knell the 'doom and gloom' folk love to predict.

Regardless, it isn't by necessity as incontestably bad as you suggest.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    BruceYee said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Why not just swallow your pride and make a pve ruleset server... Old UO doesn't work these days. Heck it didn't work back then once more games became available without pvp.
    There are ways to play this game as only a PVE game. You can check out Hempbeard's stream to kind of get the feel of how the game can be played as mostly PVE.
    Only... mostly...

Which is it?
    velimiriusSlyLoK
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    ded 5 months after it hits f2p.
    Bananable
    BruceYee said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Only... mostly...

Which is it?
    I ONLY play the PVE parts of the game. HE plays MOSTLY PVE but sometimes ventures into/through areas with PVP.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    edited March 2019
    Albion Online Going Free to Play

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    the irony, still got my legendary founder untouched
    KyleranAlexander.B

So What Now?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
     IncludeCash shop=hell no
    make a Better game =yep

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Bunch of whiny haters in here. Typical carebears crying about dying and can't handle PvP. Have fun in Division 2 for your 2 weeks until you move on to something else cause you're bored. Love live Albion! Good day!
    KyleranSlyLoKTacticalZombehMrMelGibson
  • AreteoAreteo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I'd give it a go, if it weren't for the pvp nonsense. No thanks.
    SlyLoKTacticalZombehCuppett5MrMelGibson