Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A simple law to make online marketplaces more competitive

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
It should be illegal for an online marketplace to mandate that if you sell an item through their site, it cannot be sold cheaper elsewhere.  This is an anti-competitive practice that facilitates monopolies.  That leads to more of the money than necessary that players spend on games being skimmed off by intermediaries who did not develop the game.

For example, suppose that a game costs $50 on Steam.  Since Steam takes a 30% cut, the developer gets $35.  The Epic games store takes a 12% cut, so if a game costs $40 on the Epic games store, the developer gets $35.20, or more than it would on the Steam store.

Developers should have the option to do this.  Right now, Steam policy is that if it costs the end user $40 on the Epic store, it can't cost more than $40 on Steam.  If the developer only charges $40 on Steam, then he only gets to keep $28.

Some people have dismissed the Epic store taking a smaller cut of sales, claiming that that savings won't be passed on to players.  If that's true, it's because of Steam's anti-competitive practices that prevent it from happening.

This is exactly the rule that makes it hard for possible competitors to undercut Steam's prices.  Developers mostly feel the need to offer their game on Steam because so many players use that.  If you offer it there, then you can't offer it elsewhere, and have to pay a 30% cut to a company that isn't responsible for anywhere near 30% of the work to bring your game to the public.

If a developer wants for a game to cost the end user $50 on both the Steam and Epic game stores, fine.  If they want to charge $50 on Steam, $40 on Epic, and $39 on the Discord store (which takes a 10% cut), that should be an option, too.  Or whatever other combination of prices.  If players are willing to pay extra specifically to get a game through Steam, that's fine.

But let the developers choose their prices and the players buy where they choose.  If some players think it's worth enough to have all of their games through a single launcher and will pay extra for the privilege, that's fine.  But don't mandate that Steam gets a huge cut of everything for the foreseeable future just because they had some first-mover advantage many years ago.

If there are going to be anti-monopoly laws at all, then this is exactly the sort of rule that we need.  It's narrowly targeted at an anti-competitive practice that heavily skews the market.  It's a clearly defined rule, not heavily reliant on the whims of some bureaucrat.  And it won't impose meaningful compliance costs, as all that it would do is require certain companies to stop doing things that they're already doing, purely to stifle competition.

What, you thought this thread was about Steam?  I was talking about Amazon.
ZenJellycraftseekerGdemami

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You can offer cheaper than Steam elsewhere.   You just can't offer Steam keys for those sales, something that would make gamers positively rabid (and start to cry to the press about).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    anemo said:
    You can offer cheaper than Steam elsewhere.   You just can't offer Steam keys for those sales, something that would make gamers positively rabid (and start to cry to the press about).
    I’ve heard otherwise, but if proven wrong I’ll accept it. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2019
    All these digital stores are tearing each other apart just like physical stores used to do.

To me all digital stores should sell the games very cheap and get the same cut.

I'll happily pay more for physical games that cost more to produce. There shouldn't be middlemen for digital games.

My thoughts.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    anemo said:
    May vary my country.
    edited March 2019
    All these digital stores are tearing each other apart just like physical stores used to do.

I'll happily pay more for physical games that cost more to produce. There shouldn't be middlemen for digital games.

My thoughts.
    I think the main argument for the digital middleman is the bandwidth required to distribute the games plus the headaches that can very well come with having your own services. It's like owning and operating a website in a sense. If your main business is to sell products, do you really want to create and manage your own online storefront as well? Which is why we have Ebay, Amazon, etc.

I'm with you on the prices though for sure. I remember when CD's came out they touted how much cheaper they would be to produce than cassettes and ... yeah that didn't do shit for the consumer.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    No to the government doing anything at this time. They just about always make things worse.

As to Amazon, and Steam.... people, devs, businesses...those that deal with both, or either, of those.  Do so for their reach, or the amount of people they can both draw in with their businesses.

And that comes with a cost.  I am not sure that that can be said to be an monopoly at this time.

They can take their goods and or products elsewhere.  We have lot of proof of that by the amount of people trying to take on Steam right now...the issue is that they are trying to do it separately...

If they all tried to form a group business, take them on together, they would have a much better chance.  All the of them trying to outdo one another..not much chance as far as i can see. Just adds a bit of blood in the water the way they are doing things now.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    How much does a DVD and material cost?  Might not be that much savings anymore going digital.  
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    OP

There isn't an infinite number of gamers out there. There is an X amount that these 'distribution companies' are competing for especially with PC gaming.

mo·nop·o·ly

/məˈnäpəlē/

noun

• 1. the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service: "his likely motive was to protect his regional monopoly on furs"

It isn't a monopoly if you have the option to go to other places to purchase that same game. I'd say that those "Epic" exclusive games like Dauntless are more of a monopoly cause you can't get them on Steam. So who is the monopoly? Steam's "can't sell cheaper elsewhere" is a 'condition' of service and Steam is a distribution service. They aren't saying if you sell with us you can't sell anywhere else which some companies outside of the game industry in the free world actually do.

Those same developer's have the option in this free market to NOT sell on Steam but they want to reach that huge client/player base they have.

If Steam didn't set the condition then Epic and Discord and whoever else would undercut Steam out of business. You ever hear of Wal-Mart?

Some person pointed out in another thread that box game sales when they were still being sold at retail walk-ins like Best Buy used to be a 70% cut taken by the store. Steam even with their 30% has given even the smallest developer who those big box stores would have rejected the chance to sell their product to a large number people.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

My thoughts.
    I think the main argument for the digital middleman is the bandwidth required to distribute the games plus the headaches that can very well come with having your own services. It's like owning and operating a website in a sense. If your main business is to sell products, do you really want to create and manage your own online storefront as well? Which is why we have Ebay, Amazon, etc.

I'm with you on the prices though for sure. I remember when CD's came out they touted how much cheaper they would be to produce than cassettes and ... yeah that didn't do shit for the consumer.
    It could work if they focus on distributing only their own games. But they want to sell third party games too because they don't want to miss that cut from selling third party games, it's my guess. Trion, Origin, Epic, etc, they all have their own launchers but they all also sell third parties like Steam does. I think only Ubisoft and Battlenet sell first party Ubisoft and Activision Blizzard games respectively and nothing else.

But maybe these companies got too big and my thoughts aren't realistic for them anymore.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

My thoughts.
    The way to get them to offer the same cut or a similar cut is to make it possible for them to compete on price.  That way, the savings get passed along to consumers.  Making that possible to happen is the whole point of this proposal.
    rojoArcueid
    gervaise1 said:
    anemo said:
    May vary my country.
    If Steam allowed developers who sell their games there to offer it at lower prices elsewhere, then some would.  If a game is $50 on Steam, why not offer it for $45 on Epic to encourage players to buy it there, where the developer will keep more of the money?  Or better yet, $45 on your own local store where you get to keep all of the money?  The only thing stopping that is that they'd get kicked off of Steam if they did that.
    BruceYee said:

If Steam didn't set the condition then Epic and Discord and whoever else would undercut Steam out of business. You ever hear of Wal-Mart?
    Steam would simply be forced to cut their own prices to compete.  That's the whole point.
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Torval said:
    Valve's policy isn't that you can't sell a game cheaper elsewhere. It's that you can't offer Steam customers an inferior experience or worse deal. If the only difference between the two sites is that Steam is $50 and Epic is $40 then I would agree with Valve. If the Steam users get $10 more value in some way then I would side with the developer.
    If the dev sells his game at $35 to Steam, where it's sold at $50 to customer after Steam's cut, then the dev should also be allowed to sell his game at $35 to Epic store.

If the developers must charge other stores more than Steam so that Steam can take large cut then it's not a free market situation any more.
    KyleranQuizzical

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Vrika said:
    Torval said:
    Valve's policy isn't that you can't sell a game cheaper elsewhere. It's that you can't offer Steam customers an inferior experience or worse deal. If the only difference between the two sites is that Steam is $50 and Epic is $40 then I would agree with Valve. If the Steam users get $10 more value in some way then I would side with the developer.
    If the dev sells his game at $35 to Steam, where it's sold at $50 to customer after Steam's cut, then the dev should also be allowed to sell his game at $35 to Epic store.

If the developers must charge other stores more than Steam so that Steam can take large cut then it's not a free market situation any more.
    It is free market as long as they CAN sell to whoever they want...till they have a gun to the head that says sell here or nowhere...the rest is just how much market power that each has to bring to bear.
    Torval said:
    You would agree with that? The only reason it can happen is because of the higher cut steam takes from the sales. It’s their own doing. If I can sell a product cheaper and get a higher take home pay for the sale I most definitely should be allowed to do that. Why do you think it’s been so easy for companies to say FU to steam lately?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2019
    How much does a DVD and material cost?  Might not be that much savings anymore going digital.  
    You can't forget about the distribution and the packaging.

I'd say it's no contest.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I just want things back to the old days , to the day where we own the game and not rent them .
    AlBQuirky
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Quizzical said:
    BruceYee said:

Steam would simply be forced to cut their own prices to compete.  That's the whole point.
    Why? They are at the top with the best service out of all of the providers. User info on the Epic launcher was just compromised not too long ago and how about Discord selling your personal info? That stuff actually happened with people's personal information. That garbage can really hurt your credit + is a PITA. I have not heard of a single widespread breach of Steam ever only inbecs being dumb on their own.

Like my ex told me once as she left "It's your loss" it would be the developer's loss to go with the other guys to save 18% and reach just a fraction of potential customers AND leave your customers/fans vulnerable to security risks, all for 18%...

Oh, and everyone hoping that someday something will be done to benefit customers saving a few bucks you already have it..it's called Midweek Madness, Weekend Deals, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter sales...
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Normally the way goods are sold is the retailer purchase the product from the vendor, and then marks it up as much as they wish.

The vendor's price could be the same to all resellers, but often discounts are given for being a large volume reseller.

The model by Steam is just odd, they are basically demanding the right to mark it up 30% and force the vendor to make sure no one undercuts this.

Weird.
    AlBQuirkylaseritQuizzicalMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If i am following this idea correctly it only sounds good on paper or perhaps in this particular case but in other aspects of business it fails big time.The way it is working right  now is better because the platform decides the price,it forces them to compete with each other or not,either way it gets better before it gets worse.
    So happens i remember very well a lawsuit broughton the by the USA government versus Hasbro.Hasbro was doing exactly what you mentioned,they were controlling the prices,telling every single store to up the prices to their price so that way there was ZERO competition among stores.
    Somehow the government caught wiff of it and sued them.Then of course money like it always does, buys special privileges which allowed Hasbro to stay out of hte news and come off looking like the good guy.They cut a deal that allowed them to donate tons of money and games to the needy at Christmas time,so criminal turned good guy,pretty scummy for the government to let them off the hook.

That is just gaming,we are already seeing right this minute for the past 2-3 weeks Oil companies banded together to jack up prices,so they agreed to not compete against each other.We SHOULD be paying 50% of what we pay at the pumps or LESS.So no your idea does not work in the world,we need to keep allowing businesses to compete and not allow the big guy to control prices.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2019
    I would think... using the OP example... if a game is selling for $50 on Steam, I would be more than happy to sell it for $50 elsewhere and pocket that extra income from a lower fee...

distributors can undercut themselves all they want but I as the developer set the value of my product 
    Sandmanjw
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    The issue being, the developers don't have to use Steam...or any distribution system. They can (and some do) sell it stand alone. 

You can't mandate how people distribute their goods (with a few exceptions) and I will also say; be careful asking the Government to get involved in anything, if you don't realize they are the biggest criminal organization on the planet you have been living under a rock. I am speaking to the U.S. Gov here, no intent to offer insult to other countries. 
    AlBQuirkygervaise1

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    You would agree with that? The only reason it can happen is because of the higher cut steam takes from the sales. It’s their own doing. If I can sell a product cheaper and get a higher take home pay for the sale I most definitely should be allowed to do that. Why do you think it’s been so easy for companies to say FU to steam lately?
    I don't know. The studios I buy from all still sell on Steam or PlayStation. If they're not on there then I'm not buying them, except maybe for the odd indie on Itch.io. So far I can get a great selection of games between the two.

Once game streaming services become mainstream I probably won't buy that many games anymore. I'll subscribe to whatever service has the games I like to play and every once in a while I'll buy a game I really love. It's pretty much what I do with movies and music now. I don't need to own a bunch of stuff just a few things I really like.
    You would still have the option to buy it on steam for a small markup. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ridelynn said:
    I would think... using the OP example... if a game is selling for $50 on Steam, I would be more than happy to sell it for $50 elsewhere and pocket that extra income from a lower fee...

distributors can undercut themselves all they want but I as the developer set the value of my product 
    I would think that as the dev you'd like the opportunity to have it for $50 on Steam, where you get $35 for each sale, and then have it for $48 on epic store, where you get $42 for each sale.

To be realistic, if devs find a distributor that takes smaller cut they're mostly going to use it to take a larger cut themselves. But if the price difference is large, many of them are also willing to do a small price nudge to direct customers to that cheaper store because they get more money for each unit sold there, and even that small price difference is enough to create price competition between distributors.
    GdemamiQuizzical