Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google's Stadia is the Next Generation of Gaming That Doesn't Require a PC or Console - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageGoogle's Stadia is the Next Generation of Gaming That Doesn't Require a PC or Console - MMORPG.com News

Google is going hard at the next generation of gaming and is ready to take on consoles. Stadia will link all the different ways that gamers play games by being a streaming platform that doesn't require a PC or console. "This generation of gaming is not a box," said Phil Harrison.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well, color me intrigued! How awesome to play some of the great RPGs that I've missed because I didn't have a certain console! Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm lookin' at you! :)
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]wingoodThaharvipermanorxxBoneZxxbartoni33ThupliAzaron_NightbladeHatefulland 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    It'll be very big once the mobile infrastructure can handle it.  You could quite possibly play almost any game, anywhere. 
    SBFordScottJesliswingoodThaharReaperman69Mustikos

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Definitely something to follow and learn more about.
    SBFordwingoodThaharMustikos

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It'll be very big once the mobile infrastructure can handle it.  You could quite possibly play almost any game, anywhere. 
    Rates are going to have to get a lot cheaper. You'll blow through a consoles worth of data in no time ;)
    SBFordwingoodThaharThupli

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited March 2019
    Having 15 years experience with Google products I can recommend one thing: avoid it like a plague. Unless it's GMail, maybe.

Nowadays Google is like a tween of EA in Internet / apps business sphere. Days of their "don't be evil" motto are long gone. They are highly volatile and unpredictable. Don't be surprised when they'll suddenly shutdown the service with your whole gaming library couple years later or increase prices tenfold - and then shutdown it citing lack of interest from players.

If you want actually decent gaming service like the one Google offering - use GeForce Now.
    DaranarTuor7BellomoSlyLoKThupliZenJellySolancerNaitakalgastovski1Phryand 1 other.

Thank you for your time!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    anything that relies on streaming is an instant pass for me. I like to pay for products, not services. This could be a huge deal for mobile gaming, but i'm happy buying games for my 11 consoles and my PC.

Good luck Google, no streaming for me.
    QuizzicalWhiteLanternSabracjdnewellKyleranNaitakalgastovski1TacticalZombehPhry

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited March 2019
    It will likely have a rough start because the intentionally sad state of ISPs (especially in America) isn't ready for cloud gaming. But if there's a company that can kick all of the ISPs into stepping up their service, it's Google.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Anyone here remember OnLive, and Gaikai?  They were far too early on this, like an entire decade, and then Sony has Playstation Now.. we are getting closer to "no hardware" gaming but I'm not sure we are there yet. This is going to be interesting to watch because Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all want to experiment with it. I think eventually we will get there.

How they make money and bring it to market is going to very important to note. If it works, considering how most people don't even buy physical games anymore, its going to be a big shift in gaming. Imagine no console, the games are gonna skyrocket to 150-200.00 per game. How will they make up for the loss on the hardware side? Idk if the big three are prepared to take that loss just yet. Not to mention you need the ISPs to help make it work on a global scale.. But we will see. 
    Thupli
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Very interesting indeed. Doom Eternal from Id Software is next game it would seem. 4K, 1080p, 60 fps on Grandma's computer desktop? Very intriguing.
    wingoodThahar[Deleted User]
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Isn't this the same as what GeForce is working on? if it is they will have competitor and honestly when it comes to games I'd pick GF's side over Google's.
    kryntokbartoni33Thupli
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    The only problem I see is that Google hire EA employees to set this up.
    seshsesPhry
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    They stated it in their keynote and I agree 100%, no one else has had or does have their infrastructure. If anyone can handle it and make it a good service, Google can. The only concerns I have are my own internet and price.
    wingoodThaharbartoni33Reaperman69gastovski1Mustikos
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

3dom said:

If you want actually decent gaming service like the one Google offering - use GeForce Now.

They discontinued the tablet I used. While they are continuing to support it, they won't get any more money from me.
    bartoni33
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    3dom said:
    Having 15 years experience with Google products I can recommend one thing: avoid it like a plague. Unless it's GMail, maybe.

Nowadays Google is like a tween of EA in Internet / apps business sphere. Days of their "don't be evil" motto are long gone. They are highly volatile and unpredictable. Don't be surprised when they'll suddenly shutdown the service with your whole gaming library couple years later or increase prices tenfold - and then shutdown it citing lack of interest from players.

True. Most of Google product die a horrible death. They have few big ones that are luckily for them very successful
    ThupliMustikos

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Can I assume that streaming means sending video of your game play from a server based video card to you?  That is all needed at your end is a monitor, controller and internet connection? Count me out.  I don't have unlimited data and I share my internet connection. I only pay to play MMO types. If it's a single player I don't want to have to have a constant stream of data going between me and some server. Only work when ISPs go flat rate unlimited data.
    QuizzicalPalebaneHidekiNomura
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

SBFord said:

Well, color me intrigued! How awesome to play some of the great RPGs that I've missed because I didn't have a certain console! Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm lookin' at you! :)

Dont think you will see Sony or nintendo exclusives on stadia -_-

Unless they make something out of ps now.
    rojoArcueidmomintimHidekiNomura

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77

Isn't this the same as what GeForce is working on? if it is they will have competitor and honestly when it comes to games I'd pick GF's side over Google's.

Didn't nvidia all but abandon the shield?
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Doesn't sound so revolutionary to me. It just sounds like an advanced delivery system, a platform which would allow you to get into games quicker. This is not revolutionary for us gamers. It's revolutionary for them businesses who want to grab more and quicker cash at the expense of impulsive people (I can be impulsive to) who are impatient.
    Yes I'm sceptic as long as I don't know the details :D
    Solancer
    Very interesting indeed. Doom Eternal from Id Software is next game it would seem. 4K, 1080p, 60 fps on Grandma's computer desktop? Very intriguing.
    The most important piece I got from this was the pronunciation for “id” is not I.D.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    This isn't revolutionary. This has been tried before.

OnLive, Ouya, Gaikai, and now Stadia.

Maybe they'll have better luck then those before them.

Why is there never a mmorpg on one of these streaming game services?!
    QuizzicalThupli
    VR has been tried for over a decade that doesn’t make the current hardware any less revolutionary. 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    All comes down to how lossy the compression on the stream is for me. It's alright saying 4K and 1080p gaming.. but if the image is compressed it won't look like either resolution anyway. We all spend a lot of money making our games look and run better.. it's not a minor concern and is clearly important to us. They're going to need some Silicon Valley Pied Piper magic to get it as good as it needs to be.
    Dagon13bartoni33Thuplimilaysky
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited March 2019
    People can claim whatever they want but this is going to be huge. I remember many streaming music products existing, but never really breaking trough, because the quality was not there. Then products like pandora slowly took it to the next step, and while the world was still dazzled by Itunes, suddenly out of nowhere came Spotify and obliberated it's competition.

For movies it was the same. Streaming video was crap, basically. No one believed in it. DVD's where the thing of people that liked video. Blue Ray was the next big thing. And HBO. The quality of streaming was just too poor. Until it wasn't, and Netflix blew away the entire video and TV industry. No one buys Blue Ray's anymore and no one is talking about a succesor to Blue Ray

The same thing will happen to gaming. Once you can play high quality streaming without having to pay 1400 euro on a videocard or 600 for a new console, no one is going to do that. Of course the quality isn't there. Yet. But when it is, it will blow everything away.
    Nasagervaise1AethaerynSabracbartoni33bcbullysschrupp