Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GameSpace Opinion: The Division 2 is Everything Anthem Is Not - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    3dom said:
    In the same manner: Ring of Elysium is everything The Division 2 is not. For starters, it's not boring and characters looks *much* better.

BTW MMORPG.con should write more about Ring of Elysium - it's more popular than Smite (for example) and it's the most fun BR game I've seen. Actually it's borderline amazing: I didn't even like PvP to begin with- yet the game managed to drag me into the genre.
    ..... that isn't even in the same genre. That's like saying Hello Kitty Online is everything that God of War is not. 
    momintim
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I agree that, on a purely technically level, Division 2 is a better game. It runs better, has more content, has more QOL features (such as being able to change inventory on a whim and such), and is just more polished over all. That said, it's the second entry in a franchise. I'd be worried if it didn't have those things.

However, much like other commenters here have said, I find the actual GAMEPLAY of Anthem to be more fun. It's just everything around it that needs work. BioWare/EA have a long way to go until they figure this genre out. Division 1 and Destiny 1 (and even Destiny 2) had similar growing pains.

As long as BioWare/EA stick with it, Anthem could become a contender. The gameplay portion is there... they just need to figure everything else out.
    cmacqSvarcanumGinazlaseritGendarkblastermasterRhygarthEponyxDamor[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    edited March 2019
    Apples & Oranges
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

I agree that, on a purely technically level, Division 2 is a better game. It runs better, has more content, has more QOL features (such as being able to change inventory on a whim and such), and is just more polished over all. That said, it's the second entry in a franchise. I'd be worried if it didn't have those things.

However, much like other commenters here have said, I find the actual GAMEPLAY of Anthem to be more fun. It's just everything around it that needs work. BioWare/EA have a long way to go until they figure this genre out. Division 1 and Destiny 1 (and even Destiny 2) had similar growing pains.

As long as BioWare/EA stick with it, Anthem could become a contender. The gameplay portion is there... they just need to figure everything else out.

The actual combat in Anthem is amazing...it's getting there that really drags it down. It just feels like a chore to get to the good stuff. From the innumerable load screens, to the bloated UI, to the near useless crafting and the world feeling lifeless and dead, Bioware really dropped the ball on almost everything BUT the combat. And that's leaving aside the serious issues about the loot.
    MadFrenchieEponyxDamor[Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gendark said:
    Well of course that the division 2 (aka 1.5) is more polished and has more content than Anthem, also anthem has done some things horribly wrong.
    But in 6-12 months Anthem will have more players than The Division 2, once they fix the bugs and add more content, for the sole reason that the "core gameplay" and "moment to moment gameplay" is better in Anthem.
    I would not be happy with either game but imo TD2 is miles a better game.
    How many players should not enter into ANY discussion about how good a game is.
    The bottom line is in both games,you simply shoot stuff,you get loot and that loot is pretty much the carrot on a stick that keeps people playing boring ,bad games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Yeah, the division is a typical cover shooter, and anthem is not. Duh.

Lmao!! :D :D

Hide behind a wall, kill 1 guy, reload, repeat infinitely. LOL!!
    Dude, give it a fucking rest.  Nobody gives a shit that you have a personal vendetta against Div2.
    momintimGdemami[Deleted User]

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Wizardry said:
    Gendark said:
    Well of course that the division 2 (aka 1.5) is more polished and has more content than Anthem, also anthem has done some things horribly wrong.
    But in 6-12 months Anthem will have more players than The Division 2, once they fix the bugs and add more content, for the sole reason that the "core gameplay" and "moment to moment gameplay" is better in Anthem.
    I would not be happy with either game but imo TD2 is miles a better game.
    How many players should not enter into ANY discussion about how good a game is.
    The bottom line is in both games,you simply shoot stuff,you get loot and that loot is pretty much the carrot on a stick that keeps people playing boring ,bad games.

You seem to have a lot of opinions about games you've never played.  You realize, that by now, no one here takes anything you have to say seriously, right?
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Quick, somebody take all the cool things about Anthem (sci-fi settings, flying, frames.. I mean javelins) and merge it into The Division 2 so I can stop being a skeptical fence sitter who is mindful of who he positively enforces with his dollars.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited March 2019

3dom said:

In the same manner: Ring of Elysium is everything The Division 2 is not. For starters, it's not boring and characters looks *much* better.

BTW MMORPG.con should write more about Ring of Elysium - it's more popular than Smite (for example) and it's the most fun BR game I've seen. Actually it's borderline amazing: I didn't even like PvP to begin with- yet the game managed to drag me into the genre.

These are not even the same genre of games, the only thing they have in common is they are shooters. You are on the wrong post if you want to complain about that, and what makes you believe it"s more popular the Smite which again is a different genre?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    That goat over there looks NOTHING like my banana, discuss!.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Rhygarth[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259

MMORPG.com is so subjective, and 100% biased. Tons of division 2 bugs and technical issues make it a broken game.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1103016/the-division-2-broken-after-patch-/

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1993961-Extreme-Stuttering-Unplayable

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/b269hv/coop_scaling_is_broken_game_is_unplayable_with/

and much more. But not a single article on it. MMORPG.com exposed!

:D LOL :p

Really stretching here. The first link you posted was fixed in less than 12 hours and wasn't an issue with the division 2 specifically, that was for geforce now/nvidia shield. 

The second one was from BETA.

The third one is a known issue. Hardly game breaking, inconvenient at best. Gear scaling isn't working in terms of normalization of stats. Simply put, players can't jump in at level 5 and play with a level 25 and expect their gear to scale properly.  As long as you stay within 5 levels you're good, which, most people are within that scale when leveling, because the missions all have level restrictions and suggested minimums for the area.

There is one major issue that affects some people, in regards to crashing. Some people have experienced intermittent crashes, but it's not an issue on console, only on PC and only for a very small subset of people, so while Ubisoft is working on fixing stability for them, it isn't some sort of scam.

I am playing on Xbox X and have had zero issues playing, in fact, the game has surprised me with how stable it actually is. Really well made game. Some issues will effect some people but that is normal for a project of this scope.
    Loving my time with the game.....other than finding good team mates to help keep me alive lol 

This is the same thing i said about Anthem (apart from me being on pc) I have had little to no isues, yes a few crashes but nothing game breaking but people make out that every little thing wrong with Anthem is GAMEBREAKING!
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Hate to say so, but I think that Anthem is going to be in for a very rough ride. The user and professional reviews for Division 2 are far, far better than for Anthem; Anthem is, if anything, struggling more post-launch than pre-launch; and Anthem has a lot less content. They do compete for similar audiences, Destiny 2 is still going strong, and on and on. It's hard to argue individual bias against this site in the teeth of such strong critical and audience reaction.

You don't have to be a prophet to see how this is going to play out. If Bioware is lucky, EA lets them go into full salvage mode on Anthem (and other projects are pushed back indefinitely). More likely they're put into "cutting their losses" mode, hopefully to focus on the next project in the queue. Worst case, PapaEA takes Bioware into the woods.
    [Deleted User]jpnole
  • MythlaMythla Member UncommonPosts: 25

Aeander said:

My philosophy on the matter is that I may play both and I absolutely want both to succeed, but I'll take 60+ hours of awesome gameplay (Anthem) over a much larger game with good gameplay (the Division).

This sums up my position nicely. Mostly lost in the sea of gleeful Anthem bashing is the fact that it has thrilling combat. There's work to be done, but after a couple of hours with D2 I crave the frenetic joy of playing my interceptor.
  • Portal154Portal154 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    People are such whiners nowadays. Ok, so Anthem has some issues, but they're nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. Load times aren't much worse than trying to line up a strike in Destiny, or getting a match in Rocket league. I run mine on a PS4 Pro, and it's not bad at all.

There's a few crashes here and there, but they're quite rare and the few times where I was playing found something annoying and thought "They really need to fix this" pale in comparison to the times where I thought "Holy shit this is awesome!!". Anthem is so much fun, the issues are almost meaningless and I'm happy to continue playing until they fix them.

The Division on the other hand has had 3 whole years to get itself sorted. Anything less than amazing wouldn't be a good start. I'm sure both will end up being great games, but right now I haven't even started Division, I'm having too much fun in Anthem.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I know these 2 games released at around the same time, but why compare them?
    I'm just glad they aren't the only 2 choices because I'm not too interested in either actually.
    Both are simple games that don't really let you do much.
    It's really lame that the game industry is so far behind the curve on product development.
    jpnole
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Game is working fine , and am having a blast no negatives for me so far 
    maskedweasel
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    From a perspective of somebody that hasn't played either and is potentially looking into both, I would say that the game I would pick to play first is Division 2. 

I've played the first Division. I joined that game knowing fully well that it was top empty and that once I've finished the content offered, I would have nothing to do. I also knew that it was worth the money I gave, because the journey was fun, despite the barren ending.

From my perspective Anthem is a minimum effort service game, aka a game that has some skeletal systems and effort attached to it. Their developers expect gamers to remain with the game just by the prospect of the potential alone. Unfortunately for them, the market saturation from both multiplayer games and games in general is so heavy, that it makes their expectations unrealistic. They face the same issues Fallout 76 is facing, they decided to deliver a bare minimum game expecting people to fund them, while they completed it.

Division 2 on the other hand seems to be complete, or as complete one would reasonably expect. Definitely in a much better state than Fallout 76 or Anthem. However I don't know if it will share the same issues with the first Division, aka top empty. Still, from my perspective, a second journey seems to also worth my money's worth.

Here's the thing. When shady developers chop their games to sell them into DLC pieces, I wait for the inevitable "GOTY" edition or something similar, that offers the whole game. Anthem was blatantly chopped into pieces, which makes it a bad purchase at this point in time and for the foreseeable future. When they inevitably offer a complete game edition, I will look into it. They did make me regret buying Andromeda (another half finished game), which is also another negative in my book.
    jpnole
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Rhygarth said:

MMORPG.com is so subjective, and 100% biased. Tons of division 2 bugs and technical issues make it a broken game.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1103016/the-division-2-broken-after-patch-/

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1993961-Extreme-Stuttering-Unplayable

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/b269hv/coop_scaling_is_broken_game_is_unplayable_with/

and much more. But not a single article on it. MMORPG.com exposed!

:D LOL :p

Really stretching here. The first link you posted was fixed in less than 12 hours and wasn't an issue with the division 2 specifically, that was for geforce now/nvidia shield. 

The second one was from BETA.

The third one is a known issue. Hardly game breaking, inconvenient at best. Gear scaling isn't working in terms of normalization of stats. Simply put, players can't jump in at level 5 and play with a level 25 and expect their gear to scale properly.  As long as you stay within 5 levels you're good, which, most people are within that scale when leveling, because the missions all have level restrictions and suggested minimums for the area.

There is one major issue that affects some people, in regards to crashing. Some people have experienced intermittent crashes, but it's not an issue on console, only on PC and only for a very small subset of people, so while Ubisoft is working on fixing stability for them, it isn't some sort of scam.

I am playing on Xbox X and have had zero issues playing, in fact, the game has surprised me with how stable it actually is. Really well made game. Some issues will effect some people but that is normal for a project of this scope.
    Loving my time with the game.....other than finding good team mates to help keep me alive lol 

This is the same thing i said about Anthem (apart from me being on pc) I have had little to no isues, yes a few crashes but nothing game breaking but people make out that every little thing wrong with Anthem is GAMEBREAKING!
    Because for some people, it has been gamebreaking (in that they can't even get the game to load right). It's anecdote of personal experience at that level, and while some people are lucky and have no issues, some are not lucky and run head first into hardware compatibility issues, driver issues, or trigger game bugs that others simply haven't stumbled upon.

Only played Div 2 a little bit myself, so I have no experience to comment on that title. But to discount other people's user experience because yours does not match theirs, is not a reasonable argument or stance to take.
    [Deleted User]
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Svarcanum said:

And vice versa. Anthem has basically only one thing going for it: its insanely fun and addicting Gameplay. I've played around 15h of div2 now. Everything is polished, almost everything works. But. It's not really all that fun. It's ok. Maybe even more than ok. Anthem blew me away with its gameplay. Div2 just produces a light breeze. It seems we are so used to to incomplete games that when an above average complete game comes along we all rave.

All playing div2 does for me is making me lament the fact that Anthem was so incomplete on release.

Actually felt the same. I was Division player, I joined private beta - it was fine. When I joined open beta I was bored right out of the gate and did not even bother to play again. Still playing Anthem, in fact I subscribed to Origin access premium.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited March 2019
    What happened to releasing a complete, working game? Remember when that was normal? 

I've been playing a lot of TD2, and its good..nothing game changing and if I'm being honest, it just feels like more "Division" which isn't a bad thing.. just not overly exciting. What makes me keep playing is the fact that it feels complete. It doesn't feel half baked or lacking. Anthem, I would play it more because I think its has a lot more of the "Fun" element I personally look for in games but it feels half baked and often times incomplete. 

I feel like they really wanted to do something special with Anthem much like Andromeda but it never realized its own potential.. somewhere in development they stopped, or the whole thing started to be rushed. You can tell. They do have the flying through the air thing nailed though, that feels amazing. 

I'm playing The Division 2 because it's a good/polished game. Also I'm a huge fan of the first. TD2 feels finished and mostly working as intended but its not really pushing anything forward. A NASA Rover is also not as exciting as a Gundam but what good is a Gundam if only the helmet is built. TD2 is polished.. but Its also more of the same. It is polished though, and that's very important. I'm not knocking the game, I just remember when it was normal to go gold on a complete product. It's sadly not the norm anymore so when we do see one people lose their collective shit. 

I'm not sure that TD2 is more  fun than Anthem but it is a working game. Bravo to the TD2 team at Massive and I pray the folks at Bioware can figure out Anthem. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]Aeander
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    edited March 2019
    Myself and everyone else couldn't agree more. Never would have thought EA/Bioware would REPEAT the same mistakes from DAI & MEA. It's clear that EA is only out to create a barely passable experience for the cash while Massive/Ubi actually put their heart into Division 2. Metacritic: Anthem 60/42 Division 2 85/78
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    edited March 2019

lahnmir said:

That goat over there looks NOTHING like my banana, discuss!.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

No, no, no... they are similar enough games to be compared outright.
    Aeander
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Arterius said:
    I'm just glad they aren't the only 2 choices because I'm not too interested in either actually.
    It's really lame that the game industry is so far behind the curve on product development.
    How can you say both games don't allow you to do much if you have have never played them? Division 2 has so much to do that its overwhelming at times. Most of them tasks are varied as well. Sure you will do a handful of things multiple times but they really do a lot to mix it up and I have heard that is even amplified during end game
    Because . . . they actually tell you what you can do in the game? Or was that a trick question?!?!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Arterius said:
    How can you say both games don't allow you to do much if you have have never played them? Division 2 has so much to do that its overwhelming at times. Most of them tasks are varied as well. Sure you will do a handful of things multiple times but they really do a lot to mix it up and I have heard that is even amplified during end game
    Because . . . they actually tell you what you can do in the game? Or was that a trick question?!?!
    So, what did you mean by let you do much?  Because if you meant content, you're just flat out wrong.  Division 2 has launched with more content than any other title in the genre.