Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development - Stage Two

coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,631
If you want to have a chance to participate in testing the game during alpha, you need to purchase the game by 31 March, 2019. Quote from a forum post by Renfail below.

"We are officially closing the pre-order store on March 31st, 2019. Which means you have an extremely limited window to join us for the next stage of our journey: alpha. Once we shut down the store, those rewards are gone for good, and our Early Access community will be locked in throughout the entirety of the alpha stage."

In the post he also talks about introduction of NDAs, new investors coming aboard, etc.. Worth reading if you consider supporting / playing this game, in my opinion. Link below.

https://sagaoflucimia.com/forums/index.php?threads/development-stage-two.974/

Comments

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    I hate the new acceptance of the MVP terminology.  I get they are a small team working part time on a big project and I wish them luck in bringing their passion project to life but hate that more and more teams are using that term.  Even a team as large as Star Citizen have said they are working toward a MVP. GaaS in full swing and sign of the times I suppose.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,631
    edited March 16
    I hate the new acceptance of the MVP terminology.  I get they are a small team working part time on a big project and I wish them luck in bringing their passion project to life but hate that more and more teams are using that term.  Even a team as large as Star Citizen have said they are working toward a MVP. GaaS in full swing and sign of the times I suppose.
    Well, yeah, but I dont think they mean they are working towards a launch of an MVP. All they said was:

"We have not been, to-date, a fully-funded team working full-time on this project. The core team of 14 people puts in 20-30 hours per week outside of their day jobs and families, and we have had as many as 20 people working on the game at any given time. That being said, we've made significant progress in that time, and we have a fully-functioning MVP well on its way."

They are actually stopping the sales on 31 March as they believe they have enough testers for the alpha stage of the development which is supposed to last up to a few years. It is quite different from most devs for whom launching an MVP means that they released the game and now they will maybe still do some development work on it.

I do not read this as "we are working towards an MVP at which point in time we will consider the game as released". I read it as "we now have something that is sort of playable, so that we can move to alpha testing".

Not trying to act as a "white knight" here, maybe I am the one misinterpreting the message.
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Well, yeah, but I dont think they mean they are working towards a launch of an MVP. All they said was:

"We have not been, to-date, a fully-funded team working full-time on this project. The core team of 14 people puts in 20-30 hours per week outside of their day jobs and families, and we have had as many as 20 people working on the game at any given time. That being said, we've made significant progress in that time, and we have a fully-functioning MVP well on its way."

They are actually stopping the sales on 31 March as they believe they have enough testers for the alpha stage of the development which is supposed to last up to a few years. It is quite different from most devs for whom launching an MVP means that they released the game and now they will maybe still do some development work on it.

I do not read this as "we are working towards an MVP at which point in time we will consider the game as released". I read it as "we now have something that is sort of playable, so that we can move to alpha testing".

Not trying to act as a "white knight" here, maybe I am the one misinterpreting the message.
    We shall see soon.  To me though when they say working toward a MVP it is viable to launch and build on from there. 

I would be more willing to accept that from a team like this than I would Chris Roberts and his over 200 person team.  I cannot see myself ever investing in this due to it just does not look like something I would enjoy for many reasons.  I am only following because I am interested in how these time machine games will do.  But I still hate the idea that would be the goal for any team to work toward just to shove something out the door.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,721

We shall see soon.  To me though when they say working toward a MVP it is viable to launch and build on from there. 

I would be more willing to accept that from a team like this than I would Chris Roberts and his over 200 person team.  I cannot see myself ever investing in this due to it just does not look like something I would enjoy for many reasons.  I am only following because I am interested in how these time machine games will do.  But I still hate the idea that would be the goal for any team to work toward just to shove something out the door.
    A project like this is difficult. 
    Low funding and no pay checks.  Their doing it out of passion first.  

It's in very early development.  Much may change....

They "don't need pissed off drama" added to the mix all because people want to play now and want the inside scoop, TO MAKE MORE DRAMA !!!! 

Advice : 
    Sit back and enjoy the videos given to the public.  Do this if your interested in watching a game be developed.  Do this if your a spectator.

-Give $40 only if you could find gratitude in helping out and you have passion. 
    -Give $40 for the cause, with the possibility you may not get a full return on investment. 

Try not to be GREEDY and SELFISH.... why ?.... Because $40 barely pays the fuel in one developers gas tank.

I'll be donating un-selfishly this week !!!!

Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,611
    What is MVP?

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

Scot said:
    What is MVP?
    A minimum viable product.
  • RenfailRenfail Member RarePosts: 1,336
    Yep. Closing the doors on March 31st. Last chance to get in for those who are on the fence or even remotely interested. 

Everyone else can wait until launch. 

We're also switching things up and unlike all these other companies we're mailing out all of our physical pre-order items this summer (June or July), rather than waiting until launch. Cloth maps + signed versions of Book One. 

MMORPGS are, by their very nature, Games As A Service, and have been that way since they were first introduced.

When it's ready to launch, people should fully expect to pay for ongoing live services. We aren't building a single-player title that's one-and-done.

See you on the flip side!
    coretex666TorvalLokeroArteriusKyleran
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Creative Director | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,555
    edited March 18
    Scot said:
    What is MVP?
    A minimum viable product.
    Also used incorrectly in most cases as it is not the point where one normally sells their product, but this is the early access dark age after all. :D

Minimum Marketable Product (MMP) is the more appropriate term, but not one Devs are very familiar with.

It's a sales thing....  ;)

Short write up on the difference between the two.

https://dzone.com/articles/minimum-viable-product-and

ScotMendel

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,611
    edited March 19
    Nothing wrong with just doing what you need to do to get to alpha and beta, what puzzles me about SC is that they are investing huge amounts in systems they don't need at launch. But at least unlike CoE they have not tried to develop something that added no value to the base game.

I am seeing Delete saying we should sit back and stay calm about an indie MMOs development, that's a new one from him. Oh hang on but also we need to be dramatic, Ok he is back on form. :)

You get some physical stuff as well? Nice touch reminds me of the gaming days of yore.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

edited March 19
    Scot said:
    Nothing wrong with just doing what you need to do to get to alpha and beta, what puzzles me about SC is that they are investing huge amounts in systems they don't need at launch. But at least unlike CoE they have not tried to develop something that added no value to the base game.

I am seeing Delete saying we should sit back and stay calm about an indie MMOs development, that's a new one from him. Oh hang on but also we need to be dramatic, Ok he is back on form. :)

You get some physical stuff as well? Nice touch reminds me of the gaming days of yore.
    The pre-order Collector's Editions get a signed copy of Book One (the non-signed version of which you can buy independently on Amazon), as well as a signed cloth map, along with all the other pre-order perks. We're ordering the maps in April, as well as printing up all our CE books, and then shipping them to the home office. Then in June or July I'll be flying up and doing a bulk signing of everything and we'll start shipping them out. 

For the launch version of the CE, there won't be any pre-order perks, but we'll be including a physical game manual with art and other things, and a different, non-signed cloth map, plus some other physical loot, but we're at least two years away from needing to worry about producing those, and they will have a higher price tag than the pre-order CE, which only has two physical items attached. 

Production + shipping of physical goods ain't cheap, but we've got folks who want them and aren't afraid to pay for them, so :)

Post edited by Renfail on
    coretex666ScotKyleran
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,488
    I will say that the cloth map that came with EQ was one of the cooler physical items, so, good choice :wink: 

It's nice to see you guys are actually delivering products along the way like this, rather than promising a million things come launch and making people feel like it may never exist.

I'm a sucker for artwork myself -- cloth maps, artbooks, etc.  Also, nice touch with giving people a book ready to read ahead of time and lead the way.
    coretex666
    Lokero said:
    I will say that the cloth map that came with EQ was one of the cooler physical items, so, good choice :wink: 

It's nice to see you guys are actually delivering products along the way like this, rather than promising a million things come launch and making people feel like it may never exist.

I'm a sucker for artwork myself -- cloth maps, artbooks, etc.  Also, nice touch with giving people a book ready to read ahead of time and lead the way.
    Second book should be out by January :) 
    Lokero said:

Totally agree.

For me, MMORPGs are to a large extent about immersing myself in a virtual world. Knowing the lore of the world and its background helps a lot in this regard. The book is definitely a nice touch considering your vision, your target audience and the fact that you are creating a new universe and not building one on existing IP.

I can imagine that many people will be hyped to jump into the world as soon as they finish reading the book (if it is good of course) :).
    Lokero said:

Totally agree.

For me, MMORPGs are to a large extent about immersing myself in a virtual world. Knowing the lore of the world and its background helps a lot in this regard. The book is definitely a nice touch considering your vision, your target audience and the fact that you are creating a new universe and not building one on existing IP.

I can imagine that many people will be hyped to jump into the world as soon as they finish reading the book (if it is good of course) :).
    That's why we wanted to get at least a couple of books out BEFORE the MMORPG, and more than likely we'll have the tabletop version out before the MMO goes live as well. 

These are things that I'm working on independently of the team, in my spare time. We're also going to bring on several authors to write their own novels within the shared universe, similar to how Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms operated, with multiple authors writing their own stand-alone novels and trilogies within the shared space. 

We aren't just building an MMORPG; we are building an entire IP and universe :) 
    coretex666LokeroKyleran
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,606
    Renfail said:
    Scot said:

The pre-order Collector's Editions get a signed copy of Book One (the non-signed version of which you can buy independently on Amazon), as well as a signed cloth map, along with all the other pre-order perks. We're ordering the maps in April, as well as printing up all our CE books, and then shipping them to the home office. Then in June or July I'll be flying up and doing a bulk signing of everything and we'll start shipping them out. 

For the launch version of the CE, there won't be any pre-order perks, but we'll be including a physical game manual with art and other things, and a different, non-signed cloth map, plus some other physical loot, but we're at least two years away from needing to worry about producing those, and they will have a higher price tag than the pre-order CE, which only has two physical items attached. 

Production + shipping of physical goods ain't cheap, but we've got folks who want them and aren't afraid to pay for them, so :)

As someone who pre ordered the collectors edition do I also get the physical game at launch or do I have pay extra
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,527
    This feels a little like the ending of last season's The 100. [SPOILER]

All aboard. Closing the hatch. Journey to a new world. No stragglers.
    Renfail

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    This feels a little like the ending of last season's The 100. [SPOILER]

All aboard. Closing the hatch. Journey to a new world. No stragglers.
    Pretty much :) Also, great show.