Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X 6G Review: Affordable 1080p Powerhouse - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMSI GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming X 6G Review: Affordable 1080p Powerhouse - MMORPG.com

So, you’d like to buy into the latest generation of Nvidia video cards but can’t afford the higher prices that come with RTX. We come bearing good news: MSI is here to help with the brand new GTX 1660 Gaming X 6G, a Turing powered graphics card beginning at only $249.99. Today, we’ll explain whether or not it’s worth the upgrade in our official review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited March 2019
    screw that card
    GameByNightKyleranOzmodan[Deleted User]wingood
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Well that was insightful. Why?
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Damn bit coin miners! This card would have been $130 3 years ago. Good price for today's market. Good bang for your buck. My worry is how long it'll last.
    OzmodanGdemami

Joined - July 2004

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    So let me get this straight:

Hard OCP can't get a review sample.
    Tech Report can't get a review sample.
    Somehow they do find a launch-day review sample for mmorpg.com.

Any further questions about whether Nvidia is trying to rig the reviews?  Nothing against your review in particular, but against that backdrop, all launch-day reviews of the card should be taken with a heavy dose of salt.
    OzmodanAsmodeuXGdemamiKilraneScotty787infomatzwingood
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Is a crap card for the price they want..250USD is just too much 200$usd is more what it should be selling for.
    OzmodanGdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Damn bit coin miners! This card would have been $130 3 years ago. Good price for today's market. Good bang for your buck. My worry is how long it'll last.

Probably until a new console generation rolls around. Since most games have to run on both PC and current gen (2013) console hardware.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited March 2019
    ROFL on the affordable.   There is a mistake on the stats for the card too, they only come with 6 GB memory.

Only a fool would buy one.  They are not going for $250 either, the ones I have seen in the stores are $299 and $329 and yes they were from MSI.  The 2060, which is a lot more powerful, is only running $40 more.  Not sure what the Nvidia marketing people are smoking, but this card really has no market.
    Post edited by Ozmodan on
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Quizzical said:

Any further questions about whether Nvidia is trying to rig the reviews?  Nothing against your review in particular, but against that backdrop, all launch-day reviews of the card should be taken with a heavy dose of salt.

We didn't go through Nvidia. Not sure what their issue was. MSI seeded this model out to a number of sites, including mainstays like Guru3D.

The numbers also speak for themselves, so unless we want to talk about a theoretical "this card should $130," I'm not sure what other conclusion would be expected. And to be clear, the above ignores market conditions and is top subjective and anecdotal to mean a whole lot.

Quizzical said:

We didn't go through Nvidia. Not sure what their issue was. MSI seeded this model out to a number of sites, including mainstays like Guru3D.

The numbers also speak for themselves, so unless we want to talk about a theoretical "this card should $130," I'm not sure what other conclusion would be expected. And to be clear, the above ignores market conditions and is top subjective and anecdotal to mean a whole lot.
    And you don't think that Nvidia had any say whatsoever in which sites MSI sent review samples to?  Do you really think that it's just a coincidence that two of the most important video card review sites couldn't get a launch-day review sample for either this card or the GTX 1660 Ti?

The problem is pretty straightforward:  they send a review sample to sites where they expect relatively more positive reviews and not to those where they expect less positive reviews.  The hope is that by punishing sites that are too willing to say negative things, they'll scare sites away from that and get artificially more positive reviews than they would have gotten if reviewers could say whatever they want.

In the case of this site, all hardware gets a glowing review, without regard to whether it's good or not.  So of course they want you to have a launch day review sample.  It might well be a fine card.  But until sites that are willing to post a scathing review if the hardware merits it, we don't really know.  Nvidia apparently doesn't have enough confidence in their product to risk that possibility.
    Asm0deusOzmodanGdemamiSandmanjwperrin82Scotty787
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't even understand why this GTX line is still going when we have the RTX...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It should be in $150-range. Why do cards still cost like it's a peak of crypto mining boom? It has ended a year ago.
    GdemamiOzmodanwingood

Thank you for your time!

edited March 2019

Quizzical said:

Quizzical said:

And you don't think that Nvidia had any say whatsoever in which sites MSI sent review samples to?  Do you really think that it's just a coincidence that two of the most important video card review sites couldn't get a launch-day review sample for either this card or the GTX 1660 Ti?

The problem is pretty straightforward:  they send a review sample to sites where they expect relatively more positive reviews and not to those where they expect less positive reviews.  The hope is that by punishing sites that are too willing to say negative things, they'll scare sites away from that and get artificially more positive reviews than they would have gotten if reviewers could say whatever they want.

In the case of this site, all hardware gets a glowing review, without regard to whether it's good or not.  So of course they want you to have a launch day review sample.  It might well be a fine card.  But until sites that are willing to post a scathing review if the hardware merits it, we don't really know.  Nvidia apparently doesn't have enough confidence in their product to risk that possibility.

No, I think full well that Nvidia has a list of approved review outlets. I have never been told this but I think it's probably something everyone does and that, yes, they target their outlets. My point is that despite that, this card performs well. We can argue about relative value and to that I would say, you don't have to buy into this generation, but if you do, this is the most cost effective way to do it for a 1080p gamer. You're going to find a lot of reviewers agreeing there because it's a fact. Should it be less? Yeah, probably, but then bitcoin was a thing, and RTX further skews relative value, so even if it *should* cost less, it makes sense why it costs what it does.

On the point about positive reviews. I'm going to level with you - the team here are volunteers. When I seek out review opportunities, I do avoid things that are likely outright bad. For one, few people will read an article on something that looks like it sucks right out of the gate. Two, with that understood, I don't see the point in tasking someone with a review assignment that won't earn views and will waste their time. Now, that's for the clearly bad. We have reviewed a lot of mid range gear and higher end stuff that's turned out mediocre. We will and do say so, but the fact is, most computer hardware past a certain price is decent these days. Not all, but a lot.

I learned something early on as a games writer and now in tech. It's easy to be scathing. Frankly, it's a lazier way to write because you tap into an easy emotional response that does away with the more difficult task of objectivity. This is why gaming articles pissed off about this or that are everywhere online and resonate so much. They're easy and emotionally resonant. They're just not balanced, which is kind of important in critique.

Negativity is different and has its place but needs to be applied in a balance.

You ask any writer on this team and they will tell you I've told them the same thing. If something is bad, you call it out. Be honest. But also be objective. Very few things are all bad, especially when you're talking pc hardware that is frankly so similar between different models. Shockingly, hardware that costs $200+ or comes from some major company that's made similar products for the last 20 years, tends to do more right than wrong.

You combine those things and you have a lot of reviews that tend more positive but couch fair criticism in the text. Read the whole article and it's there. I know, I read through all of them, and I also know that the same is true on most major hardware sites. Check TechPowerUp. They do amazing work, but virtually everything gets some kind of award for exactly this reason. We don't do that because it's a different system, but this is how it goes in the world of tech criticism.

You commit to reading some $20 peripheral reviews, and I'll show you a lot more hard-line negativity. Until then, we'll take the more challenging authorial route of finding what's good and bad and presenting it in a way that I would be comfortable saying to the person who made it.
    Post edited by GameByNight on
    Beezerbeez
    Quizzical, I'll do you one more. You know your stuff. If you think we need a harder edge, you come and review it for us.
    GdemamiBeezerbeez
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Ozmodan said:

ROFL on the affordable.   There is a mistake on the stats for the card too, they only come with 6 GB memory.

Only a fool would buy one.  They are not going for $250 either, the ones I have seen in the stores are $299 and $329 and yes they were from MSI.  The 2060, which is a lot more powerful, is only running $40 more.  Not sure what the Nvidia marketing people are smoking, but this card really has no market.

All GTX 1660 cards available on Newegg cost less than $250
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601330988

I think you're confusing this with GTX 1660 Ti, which would costs something between $280 - $320.

GTX 1660 is well enough priced, and at the moment I think it's about equal or slightly better purchase than RX 580, depending on the pricing.

But since it's only about equal price/performance compared to RX 580, it's a bad showing for NVidia. This is their new architecture competing against AMD's old one, they should have been able to take the lead.
    GdemamiOzmodan

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

DMKano said:

Wouldn't recommend anyone spend that much money for this card when a MUCH faster 2060 is only $80 more.

If the price point for this was $200 - maybe

Imo wait to see what Navi does first before buying a card now.

Pretty much this.

I honestly never saw the point of the 1660 series and/or more GTX for that matter. Shouldn't they be done with them? Or if they aren't done with them at least make them budget cards for under $200(honestly I'd pay $150 tops for this card).

Really looking forward to July 7th. AMD has really been changing the market with their more recent RX and Ryzen. Problem is Intel and Nvidia continue to try to be stubborn. Really hoping that after they will realize that lowering their prices a little is a good idea.

Asm0deusGdemami
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Quizzical, I'll do you one more. You know your stuff. If you think we need a harder edge, you come and review it for us.

Quizzical does know his stuff. I have taken his knowledge for ten years on the hardware part of this site. From what I have seen he is mostly spot on. Not a bad idea to have him freelance some stuff because he could be a great addition to the team.
    GameByNightBeezerbeezGdemamiwingood
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    This is why consoles are better, more popular and successful. Same in the future with mobile gaming. A single GPU costs 200+ dollars for a good one. That is just a GPU. Then you need a CPU, power supply, motherboard and all kinds of stuff. Heck for me to upgrade my CPU, I also need a new motherboard AND new ram...those three things would cost over 1000 USD to upgrade to a modern relatively high end system. I can't upgrade my motherboard without upgrading my other stuff, cause my motherboard is so old.

Or pay roughly 500 for an xbox one, about same for PS4...and...you get a better gaming system for the price than you would a PC

And people wonder why PC gaming is dying lol. PC hardware needs to die so prices can match todays income, and match the price of console hardware. I'd need 1k to upgrade my PC, when an xbox one costs around 500 USD...makes no sense what so ever.

Until PCs are as affordable as console gaming, consoles will continue to dominate. Heck, outside the US, a pc upgrade (if all hardware is outdated) can cost over 5000 USD in euros depending on the exchange rate. WTF?

PC gaming is dying because how expensive it is to buy a modern, high end system that also matches the power of consoles.
    Computers are cheaper now than they ever have been. Consoles and PC's are playing the same games except for exclusives. I'm ok with that.

Well.... except for the exclusives... but I'll let that slide ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Quizzical said:

No, I think full well that Nvidia has a list of approved review outlets. I have never been told this but I think it's probably something everyone does and that, yes, they target their outlets. My point is that despite that, this card performs well. We can argue about relative value and to that I would say, you don't have to buy into this generation, but if you do, this is the most cost effective way to do it for a 1080p gamer. You're going to find a lot of reviewers agreeing there because it's a fact. Should it be less? Yeah, probably, but then bitcoin was a thing, and RTX further skews relative value, so even if it *should* cost less, it makes sense why it costs what it does.

On the point about positive reviews. I'm going to level with you - the team here are volunteers. When I seek out review opportunities, I do avoid things that are likely outright bad. For one, few people will read an article on something that looks like it sucks right out of the gate. Two, with that understood, I don't see the point in tasking someone with a review assignment that won't earn views and will waste their time. Now, that's for the clearly bad. We have reviewed a lot of mid range gear and higher end stuff that's turned out mediocre. We will and do say so, but the fact is, most computer hardware past a certain price is decent these days. Not all, but a lot.

I learned something early on as a games writer and now in tech. It's easy to be scathing. Frankly, it's a lazier way to write because you tap into an easy emotional response that does away with the more difficult task of objectivity. This is why gaming articles pissed off about this or that are everywhere online and resonate so much. They're easy and emotionally resonant. They're just not balanced, which is kind of important in critique.

Negativity is different and has its place but needs to be applied in a balance.

You ask any writer on this team and they will tell you I've told them the same thing. If something is bad, you call it out. Be honest. But also be objective. Very few things are all bad, especially when you're talking pc hardware that is frankly so similar between different models. Shockingly, hardware that costs $200+ or comes from some major company that's made similar products for the last 20 years, tends to do more right than wrong.

You combine those things and you have a lot of reviews that tend more positive but couch fair criticism in the text. Read the whole article and it's there. I know, I read through all of them, and I also know that the same is true on most major hardware sites. Check TechPowerUp. They do amazing work, but virtually everything gets some kind of award for exactly this reason. We don't do that because it's a different system, but this is how it goes in the world of tech criticism.

You commit to reading some $20 peripheral reviews, and I'll show you a lot more hard-line negativity. Until then, we'll take the more challenging authorial route of finding what's good and bad and presenting it in a way that I would be comfortable saying to the person who made it.
    First of all, kudos for defending your work against a random person online sniping from the peanut gallery.

My complaint about hardware reviews is not that a lot of them are positive.  It's that I've never yet seen one on this site that was mostly negative and basically concluded, this product was a huge disappointment and you definitely shouldn't buy it.  It's possible that there have been some such reviews and I just missed them.  But there's an enormous difference between 90% of reviews being mostly positive and 100% of them being that way.

With game reviews on this site, that's not the story at all.  Some games get--and deserve--highly positive reviews.  And some get blasted as terrible.  For example, this site gave League of Angels a 4/10 back when the game was a major advertiser on the site.  And a lot of games are in between.

I certainly believe that you try to pick interesting hardware that is likely to be good as what you'll review.  I could certainly believe that most of the products you review do what they intended to do and do it pretty well.  What I don't believe is that you never guess wrong and end up with a lemon.

See here, for example:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/05/rosewill_valens700_700w_power_supply_review/9

They had some nice things to say about the power supply.  But the conclusion was that the +3.3 V rail ran way out of spec, so don't buy it, as there are plenty of other, better options.

My criticism here wasn't targeted at this review.  Benchmarking is hard.  I don't know how to say that without it sounding like sarcasm, but I mean that seriously.  Getting measurements that you can put in a chart is easy if you're just measuring whatever is easiest to measure.  Getting measurements that accurately reflect what you'd like to measure (in this case, mainly performance in whatever games you'll play in the useful life of the card, but also power and noise) is much harder.

Rather, my main shot was at Nvidia's efforts at manipulating reviews.  I'm not sure what Tech Report did that made them mad.  In the case of Hard OCP, it was probably publicly exposing the Nvidia Partner Program, and then later seriously investigating why so many of the early GeForce RTX 2080 Tis died so quickly.

That's nothing new, of course.  Several years ago, one site (I forget which one) rated a GeForce GTX 590 as an "epic fail" because the card died in the review--one of several GTX 590s that didn't survive the review process on a variety of sites.  The site changed the conclusion under pressure from Nvidia.  Threats to lose future review samples and the page views that they bring does constrain what reviewers are willing to say on at least some sites.
    Gdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2019
    laserit said:
    This is why consoles are better, more popular and successful. Same in the future with mobile gaming. A single GPU costs 200+ dollars for a good one. That is just a GPU. Then you need a CPU, power supply, motherboard and all kinds of stuff. Heck for me to upgrade my CPU, I also need a new motherboard AND new ram...those three things would cost over 1000 USD to upgrade to a modern relatively high end system. I can't upgrade my motherboard without upgrading my other stuff, cause my motherboard is so old.

Or pay roughly 500 for an xbox one, about same for PS4...and...you get a better gaming system for the price than you would a PC

And people wonder why PC gaming is dying lol. PC hardware needs to die so prices can match todays income, and match the price of console hardware. I'd need 1k to upgrade my PC, when an xbox one costs around 500 USD...makes no sense what so ever.

Until PCs are as affordable as console gaming, consoles will continue to dominate. Heck, outside the US, a pc upgrade (if all hardware is outdated) can cost over 5000 USD in euros depending on the exchange rate. WTF?

PC gaming is dying because how expensive it is to buy a modern, high end system that also matches the power of consoles.
    Computers are cheaper now than they ever have been. Consoles and PC's are playing the same games except for exclusives. I'm ok with that.

Well.... except for the exclusives... but I'll let that slide ;)
    Wrong

Here is wiki on xbox one for the cpu. For me to buy a CPU THAT good, would mean I also need a new motherboard, new power supply and new ram. In total, it be more expensive to upgrade my junk CPU than it would to buy roughly 500 USD for a xbox one. Not even in the same ballpark.

systemXbox One system software
    CPUOriginal and S model: Custom 1.75 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Jaguar modules)[8][9]
    X model: Custom 2.3 GHz AMD8-core APU (2 quad-core Evolved Jaguar modules)[10]
    I never said they were cheaper than an Xbox, I said Computers are cheaper now than they were.

I paid $2400 1986 dollars for a Commodore Amiga, was another $1100 if you wanted a 40 meg HD. I paid $1800 for a Samsung 286, $3200 for a Gateway 386, etc. etc. etc. I paid $2700 for a 1 meg 3d video card in 1992 for my first CAD which was a 486.

GPU's are vastly more inexpensive though. They are only hardware that IS affordable and cheaper now than ever before. But every other hardware is stupidely overpriced compared to the same specs consoles get. Can't even upgrade one piece of hardware at a time, cause my ram isn't compatible with new motherboards, and I need a new power supply

I hope PC market dies in the future because how greedy these companies are so prices tank. Yet somehow a 500 dollar xbox costs less than upgrading a PC would that has too many outdated parts? I need a minimum of 3, maybe 4 hardware upgrades at once just because my cpu/ram/motherboard are so old. But an xbox one single handedly is cheaper than that? That isn't fair, that is a slap in the face rip off to pc gamers.
    Consoles are bargains only problem is, that they only play games and movies. Computers can do so much more but that is only because of the locked and loaded proprietary software found on the consoles.

That isn't fair and is a slap in the face rip off to console gamers.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee