Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tyler 'Ninja' Blevins Reportedly Paid $1M by EA to Stream Apex Legends - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Sagethorn said:

Twitch streamers are required to put the title as sponsored tho if they are paid to advertise.. real question was this done

Yeah it was.

Shroud had #ad on it every time he was playing it at the start, so did Dr. Disrespect. Not sure about NInja but I would assume he did as well. People who's entire lives are based around streaming and they make millions a year aren't going to take chances with not following a law. I think after the first week they stopped putting the ad in though as it probably wasn't an ad anymore at that point. I think they all just genuinely liked the game and kept playing.
    LiljnaTacticalZombeh
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Remember when people said we were/are paid? Yeah... I wish we were paid like Ninja. I'll gladly hashtag #ad everything if they want me to. Any takers? Looking at you, ESO.
    [Deleted User]SovrathXarkoWhiteLantern[Deleted User]RobsolfTacticalZombeh

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Remember when people said we were/are paid? Yeah... I wish we were paid like Ninja. I'll gladly hashtag #ad everything if they want me to. Any takers? Looking at you, ESO.

<3
    WarlyxalkarionlogFacelessSavior
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    He would've played it regardless if EA paid him or not. It's too big of a game to pass up as a streamer. If you want fresh subs - that's where you go. 

But I suppose EA wanted to lauch the game into stardom quicker. 

The amount is insane though. 
    DMKano said:
    It was the best 1mil EA spent in a long time.

The streamer marketing has paid off big time
    It's crazy how much influence the big streamers have and how much it can sway people to play a game. Especially free games. 
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    I hate comercials when I watch TV. They are very manipulative and border on the dishonest. But then I see a commercial for something I like or I didnt know about and it doesn't irritate me as much. This kind of crap, while manipulative and somewhat dishonest, doesn’t bother me. I won’t ever see it and if the company wants to waste money, I just assume that it’s business as usual, especially over at EA.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Palebane said:
    I hate comercials when I watch TV. They are very manipulative and border on the dishonest. But then I see a commercial for something I like or I didnt know about and it doesn't irritate me as much. This kind of crap, while manipulative and somewhat dishonest, doesn’t bother me. I won’t ever see it and if the company wants to wasye money, I just assume that it’s business as usual, especially over at EA.
    How is it manipulative and dishonest if they show it was sponsored in the title of the stream? Most of these streamers don't fake having fun either, it's definitely just them playing the game. With games I think it's a lot different than other medians because you can visibly tell when a game isn't good. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I thought it was common knowledge that twitch douche bags got paid to stream these new games.

Maybe I just assumed someone was paying those idiots. I dunno, either way, whatever.
    Xarktard

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Palebane said:
    I hate comercials when I watch TV. They are very manipulative and border on the dishonest. But then I see a commercial for something I like or I didnt know about and it doesn't irritate me as much. This kind of crap, while manipulative and somewhat dishonest, doesn’t bother me. I won’t ever see it and if the company wants to wasye money, I just assume that it’s business as usual, especially over at EA.
    How is it manipulative and dishonest if they show it was sponsored in the title of the stream? Most of these streamers don't fake having fun either, it's definitely just them playing the game. With games I think it's a lot different than other medians because you can visibly tell when a game isn't good. 

because they will not say bad things and will always try to gaslight you in thinking everything is nice and there is nothing wrong or bad? meh paying someone who ahve a lot of followers is cheaper then paying a company to do the advertising, the company would have asked more to do the same
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019

Palebane said:

Its like paying someone to be your friend, imo. You might have a good time, but it’s not genuine.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited March 2019
    1 mill Iranian Rial for you my friend, for 10 featured articles on mmorpg for this game http://www.girlgames.com/persian-cat-princess-spa-salon.html 

Palebane
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

Palebane said:

because they will not say bad things and will always try to gaslight you in thinking everything is nice and there is nothing wrong or bad? meh paying someone who ahve a lot of followers is cheaper then paying a company to do the advertising, the company would have asked more to do the same

But... they're streamers not reviewers. People who watch them, do it for entertainment, not for a critical or objective opinion of said game.
    XarktardHatefull
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    It doesn't matter. He may have been paid to play it but he is not the reason 50 million people are playing, that's for sure.
    XarktardSBFordSabracHatefull

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

It doesn't matter. He may have been paid to play it but he is not the reason 50 million people are playing, that's for sure.

Of course, while paying influencers to showcase the game can help, that can only get you so far. The main reason was because Apex Legends is a solid and polished game with little issues at launch (a rarity these days).
    XarktardrojoArcueidSBFordTacticalZombeh
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Imagine investing that money into actual game production... one can dream

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If true the only surprising thing here is the amount. That's some serious celebrity level advertising dough.
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    On one hand, this is no different from paid sponsorship or advertisement, if it is properly disclosed.

On the other hand, this is also akin to being an EA Gamechanger, and is an inherent hit to his perceived credibility. 
    I agree.  I see nothing wrong with it, so long as Ninja is okay with sending the message that his gaming choices are not made solely on the basis of how fun he finds any given game.
    He played and streamed LotRO legendary server on Anor for at least a few days to a week. I seriously doubt SSG paid him $1M. Maybe it was sponsored, but in any event it surprised me. I've heard of him, but don't watch Twitch or Youtube following streamers.

While I'm not a fan of streamer and "content creator" culture, I don't see anything wrong with this. It certainly doesn't make me think poorly about EA or the streamer.
    I honestly think he used to play MMO's a lot. I noticed FFXI was in the top games a couple times on twitch and both times he was playing, seemed like he knew exactly what he was doing in game too like he came back to mess around on it after a break. 
    [Deleted User]
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Xanzo said:
    Really, who cares? I don't watch people play games, so eh. It's like watching someone watch a movie.

Uh, Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Watching people watch movies is awesome.
    [Deleted User]Panther2103Iselin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    On one hand, this is no different from paid sponsorship or advertisement, if it is properly disclosed.

On the other hand, this is also akin to being an EA Gamechanger, and is an inherent hit to his perceived credibility. 
    I agree.  I see nothing wrong with it, so long as Ninja is okay with sending the message that his gaming choices are not made solely on the basis of how fun he finds any given game.
    He played and streamed LotRO legendary server on Anor for at least a few days to a week. I seriously doubt SSG paid him $1M. Maybe it was sponsored, but in any event it surprised me. I've heard of him, but don't watch Twitch or Youtube following streamers.

While I'm not a fan of streamer and "content creator" culture, I don't see anything wrong with this. It certainly doesn't make me think poorly about EA or the streamer.
    No disagreements, just acknowledging that when you start taking money to select one product over another, it inherently diminishes the perceived honesty of a streamer supporting any given game moving forward without him or her having to stipulate and convince audiences that "this title I'm playing merely because it's fun, promise!"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If a guy can make this kind of money streaming, more power to him. 
    HatefullkinkyJalepeno

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I also heard EA wasn't actively trying to promote APEX due to conflicts with their other more expensive titles. So which is it? I suppose that could have been their initial plan, and they switched once they saw how much attention it was getting. But then, that would have been a pretty stupid move because Apex was already getting enough attention. Ninja probably would have been playing it anyway.

Since APEX was released suddenly with little fanfare I'm having trouble buying this rumour.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    too bad for the APEX has less than 1/2 the viewers right now on Twitch that that crap Fortnite has, seems their moment may have been short lived.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No it is not shocking,i talk about it a lot.
    However kind of stuns me people are responding like they have no clue either about the law or morals in general.

Businesses and the marketplace need to remain a FAIR platform,otherwise it gets run over by money and money ALWAYS ruins everything.There are so many side effects to forcing a market through money i couldn't write it all down in less than several pages and why over the years so many laws have been written to try and keep up with improper business tactics.

Myself and i would hope everyone else wants the BEST games and the best developers to be rewarded and NOT whoever spends the most money to BUY their way into popularity.The FTC is suppose to be on top of this but they are about as qualified as the rest of the government offices.

These business practices are ok IF and ONLY if you denounce that you are in essence being BRIBED to showcase that developers game.That way the entire industry knows the popularity might not be because the game is any good but only because money is making it popular.

All the dubious tactics imo came about with Esport and the huge amounts of money starting to spread around by and from sponsors.So a huge snowball effect arises from this crap,a guy like ninja then becomes super popular, his marketing team has a real easy time gaining new sponsors for him and more money rolls in,more game developers want in so they begin to offer money.

This has been going on a long time and why you see so many popular streamers jump around game to game,claiming all so amazing but never stick around more than a day or two.You know what it says about these people,FAKE gamers,they simply follow the money,can we blame them,yeah we can,i have no care for these type of people,i don't look up to them nor would i ever p;raise them.They have NO BUSINESS being in the spotlight as FAKE gamer's.

Palebane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I would bet his stream gave as many people reason to not play as it gave people reason to play. This type of thing works both ways, in the end, I doubt very seriously they got any more players than if they had taken out a prime time advertisement on any TV channel.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    That's nothing... you should see how much they were throwing away hiring crisis management agencies.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯