Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is going on with mages in BFA in high-end gameplay?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member UncommonPosts: 86
edited March 12 in World of Warcraft
-A 100% DPS class at bottom of the charts
-No survivability (nothing new of course)
-8.1.5 (todays patch as of today) sees barely any changes to mages
-Warlocks get a slight nerf (mostly demonology, and it was only for PvP really), but remain pretty much at the top for PVE. Yeah that one bug of stacking traits is fixed, but they are still doing great. And all 3 specs are doing amazing
-Shaman Elemental are topping the charts (WHAT?)
-Mages at bottom of the charts

Is mage the meme class in BFA? It was shamans in legion, guess its mages turn? Now shamans turned from a meme class to a good class, and now mage is the meme class

Comments

• BaalzharonBaalzharon Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited March 12
    Also 8.1 saw nerfs to fire mages, despite being bottom of the charts

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/aliqlt/fire_mage_gets_nerfed_with_no_explanation_or/

So they nerf a DPS class to basement of the dps charts? Already at the bottom so they hit it even harder to the bottom? WTF? A dps class that can't dps? Can't even survive like every single other class can, so what is the point if the sole purpose of the class is DPS and it can't even do that rofl.

I'm pretty much tossing my mage and jumping on the meme bandwagon of warlock, which have been amazing in MoP, WoD, Legion AND BFA. Didn't play one in vanilla, BC or WOTLK so dunno how they were there.
    edited March 12
    Another (stealth) nerf to mages

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/equipoise-stealth-nerf/121422

And they already at the bottom of the dps charts, all 3 specs

And here is a thread about no changes in 8.1.5

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/too-many-mages/121224

and the post (post 5) by Keiko sums it up

What is the point of mages if they can't dps? That is the only thing they can do. They can't solo. They can't tank. They can't heal. They don't do anything besides damage

I've never been triggered so much by MMO balancing. Blizzard is freakin intruding on my safe space, and I'm freaking triggered. Triggered so much

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,405
    OP and about time. imo
    Baalzharon
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    OP and about time. imo
    But there is literally no point in mages right now. Their only single class design in PVE is DPS. They can't do anything besides DPS. They can't even solo.

That isn't "about time", that is just bad balancing. When a class can't even do what its designed to do, that is bad balancing. 

Instead of making things balanced, they hit mages with thor's hammer and made them a class that might as well be deleted.

How is that 'about time' that a DPS class can't even DPS? But I'm guessing saying that was you trolling since I'm already triggered by the bad balancing, so you thought you could egg me on with a troll comment.
    Kyleran
    Elsabolts said:
    OP and about time. imo
    But there is literally no point in mages right now. Their only single class design in PVE is DPS. They can't do anything besides DPS. They can't even solo.

That isn't "about time", that is just bad balancing. When a class can't even do what its designed to do, that is bad balancing. 

Instead of making things balanced, they hit mages with thor's hammer and made them a class that might as well be deleted.

How is that 'about time' that a DPS class can't even DPS? But I'm guessing saying that was you trolling since I'm already triggered by the bad balancing, so you thought you could egg me on with a troll comment.
    Also its obvious when saying 'about time' is trolling, because mages have less dps than EVERY tank spec AND less dps than heal specs. That isn't "about time", that is just brutal nerfs to make the dps class useless, when its only single job is dps.

Again, mages don't do ANYTHING in PVE besides DPS. They can't solo AT ALL, 100% group class. Yet mages can't even do that properly.
    If mages were deleted right now, no one would notice. In fact, if they were deleted, groups would be BETTER because mages can't do anything right now besides a dumb single buff. But other than that, their worse dps than even a tank only brings groups down who bring a mage. 

Just replace any mage(s) with a shadow priest, any 3 spec warlock, elemental shaman...and your group will be 100% better for it. Mages can't even do the one single job they are designed to do in PVE, and that is DPS. All 3 mage specs add up to be the worse dps in the entire game.
    Blizzard needs to offer FREE class changes to ALL mages. At least do that for the mages that wasted so much time leveling their junk class that can't do their one job they are made for.
    I'm so freakin raging about mages. Can't even dps better than a tank, and even healing characters dps better. I'm freakin red and sweating with rage.

Never has an MMO done that to me with class changes. No MMO I ever played as made a class so useless at their ONE job they are designed for.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited March 12
    Mages have two of their three specs in the top 10 damage dealers @ i385/T22 and i415/T23.

Not sure what data you are basing your statements on, but Fire is the only spec of the three that has any noteworthy issues. 

The discrepancy in damage between the other two specs is marginal at best and easily competitive with all of the other top tier damage dealers.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/T22_Raid.html

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/T23_Raid.html

You're getting very emotional over what appears to be a personal problem. A problem easily solved by playing one of the two competitive specs.

Survivability issues are shared by a number of classes currently, not just Mages, so that argument doesn't really hold any water either. If you're dying, chances are it's due to your own mistakes.

Making statements that claim Mages can't dps better than tanks, are bottom of the charts or that healers have higher damage output is simply false. 
    Mages have two of their three specs in the top 10 damage dealers @ i385/T22 and i415/T23.

Not sure what data you are basing your statements on, but Fire is the only spec of the three that has any noteworthy issues. 

The discrepancy in damage between the other two specs is marginal at best and easily competitive with all of the other top tier damage dealers.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/T22_Raid.html

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/T23_Raid.html

You're getting very emotional over what appears to be a personal problem. A problem easily solved by playing one of the two competitive specs.

Survivability issues are shared by a number of classes currently, not just Mages, so that argument doesn't really hold any water either. If you're dying, chances are it's due to your own mistakes.

Making statements that claim Mages can't dps better than tanks, are bottom of the charts or that healers have higher damage output is simply false. 
    Well, I did a lot of reading into the problems of mages on official forums, MMOchampion and reddit (though reddit is junk so barely spent any time there). And there is a lot of reports of issues on mages. I do see in your links they are in the top 10, but that wasn't the feedback I was reading on mages on the various sources I was using.
    Well I dunno what all the posts I was reading. So many people posting how bad mages are right now.

But I finally got my WoW updated, and my mage does just as good as it always did?

Am I missing something? Cause I linked a bunch of topics about how bad mages are, and my mage doesn't seem any worse than before...
    I think I got trolled hard

My mage is just as good as before? I finished a few groups, with one mythic group and rest dungeons...I wasn't bottom DPS like people were saying? I linked to a whole bunch of stuff of how bad mages became? 

Wow did I get trolled...dunno what people were saying about worse damage than tanks and healers?

I never got trolled so hard in my life
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,155
    The problem is that you're reading message boards and not charts.

According to message boards every spec for every class has massive issues that make them the worst in the game.
    Baalzharon
    Xiaoki said:
    The problem is that you're reading message boards and not charts.

According to message boards every spec for every class has massive issues that make them the worst in the game.
    yup, lesson learned

And what that lesson is?

personally make sure of the changes before getting so mad that I was sweating with rage, and ranting on and on. I could have seen for myself that mages are no different than I remember them being, dps wise.

I got trolled so hard lol. Now anyone seeing this thread is gonna look at me like I'm a big sad little fool :(
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Why were complaining before you even tried to play the class?  You made it sound like you were personally affected by the nerfs and, it turns out, all you did was read some forums somewhere and then proceed to spread false information to another site......I mean WTF.

And on top of that, you posted multiple times without someone even responding to the thread and managed to quote yourself once.  My god, if this makes you rage this hard, I feel sorry for things in your life that actually matter.....
  • Cry0Cry0 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited March 13

I got trolled so hard lol. Now anyone seeing this thread is gonna look at me like I'm a big sad little fool :(
    I think they will laugh, like I did, at the fact that 90% of the thread is you posting responses to yourself ;)

I haven't played in BFA -  but I was heavy into the analytics in legion. My preferred approach to seeing how classes performed was always warcraft logs --https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/21#boss=2265&region=1&dataset=95

Sim results are great, but I always felt logs showed a better picture of how classes performed overall and on specific fights. A classes ability to do dps while handling mechanics.

It doesn't look like there are results for 8.1.5 -- I'm assuming it launched today? But at a cursory glance, without knowing any fight, it seems it is a fairly standard story -- for whatever reason, shadow priest seems to be a top dps on every fight because it has always made sense that the dps spec for a healer class should also be one of the top dps classes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Warlocks have at least 2 top end competitive specs for every fight. 

Aside from priests and rogues (edit) warlocks (edit) - everyone else seems fairly balanced in that they have at least one spec that is competitive with everything else *on most fights*. I can appreciate that out of the pure dps classes -- rogue, hunter, mage, warlock, it is probably frustrating having warlock be the only one that has a spec that really excels -- and they have two specs by the looks of things.

Class imbalances is a story as old as time in WoW - the reality is that for the majority of players it doesn't really matter a whole lot. Play what you like and play it well.

I always *hated* the people who pulled gray parses while complaining about how unfair it was that their class was bad. Get a consistent 90%+ parse before you start complaining about the injustices of class balance in the raid scene.
    Post edited by Cry0 on
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 936
    And don't forget you can probably make more money for ports now! Amiright?