Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Alpha First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers - Alpha First Impressions - TheHiveLeader - MMORPG.com

Torchlight Frontiers just dropped their NDA! That means it's time for TheHiveLeader to talk about one not only one of the most anticipated MMOs, but one of the most anticipated sequels to a franchise! So how is it? You'll have to watch to find out!

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    Glad they improved the inventory UI, it was way too oversized before. Skill UI is still too big.

I hope the endgame loot has resistance to more types of damage so you don't have to swap around all the time. As a progression thing it works but it seems redundant and just not fun for endgame.

Personally, I'd prefer grouping stays as a 100% optional thing. No grouping requirements or incentives. I don't want to feel like I'll progress slower or find worse loot if I want to play on my own one day.
    [Deleted User]k61977HatefullinfomatzMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Even though I've played(and loved) both Torchlight games I really had no desire to try Frontiers until watching this video.

Can kind of smell the cash shop items coming in the form of pets, gear etc but that's OK with me as long as they do it similar to STO.
    killmaxskiinfomatzMrMelGibson
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Arterius said:

Can't wait.

BruceYee said:

Even though I've played(and loved) both Torchlight games I really had no desire to try Frontiers until watching this video.

Can kind of smell the cash shop items coming in the form of pets, gear etc but that's OK with me as long as they do it similar to STO.

I don't mind a cashshop since the game will be F2P as long as its isn't P2W. I wish more F2P games looked at PoE as an example. Don't play the game but the cash shop is great.

I hear you about the P2W. I'd prefer P2W lite(100-200USD) vs Mobile P2W(thousands) and have the game be successful vs shut down in 1 year.

Seeing as they have only revealed two classes I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the classes will be pay to play. Maybe they'll sell packs with the class, pet, cosmetic etc.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Loot stats looks a bit meh. looks a bit mobile or cartoonish...
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    played all 3 alphas. huge fan of t1 and t2 but this one just isn't grabbing me. as it stands, and i know it's alpha--without an NDA -- it's just not that fun. Sorting which armor to use. Running off into the wilds just to find someone ahead of you has already killed everything... the pacing seems slow. it's hard to pinpoint what it is, it's just missing something. music is great.

p.s. as a person that hates to hear other people chewing that alpaca drives me nuts!
    Roinkillmaxski[Deleted User]
  • killmaxskikillmaxski Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited March 2019
    ?
    Post edited by killmaxski on
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    bamwalla said:
    played all 3 alphas. huge fan of t1 and t2 but this one just isn't grabbing me. as it stands, and i know it's alpha--without an NDA -- it's just not that fun. Sorting which armor to use. Running off into the wilds just to find someone ahead of you has already killed everything... the pacing seems slow. it's hard to pinpoint what it is, it's just missing something. music is great.

p.s. as a person that hates to hear other people chewing that alpaca drives me nuts!
    Can't you turn pet sounds off? I think I remember being able to do that in TL2.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a mod.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

bamwalla said:

I was kinda feeling that way in the second alpha, the changes adding the xp to frontiers helped me a lot. Gave me that carrot to chase as I enjoy leveling.

I know what you mean about the running behind someone though. Think they just need to remove the entire public zones and just make them group optional if you want to play with others. I play games like this completely single player, all ARPG's in truth.

I leave notes about speeding up movement by about half what it is now every time I leave feedback. It does feel slow sometimes to me also. Think if you ran a little faster it would remove some of the slow feeling. I think they got the leveling speed about right though. If you don't move to an area that is higher than you, you don't level fast.

Harvesting is way to slow though. That is another one I leave feedback on. Who wants to sit and watch it chop a tree down over and over for that long.

The amount of skill points to just unlock all the active skills is a little to high. Would rather see you be able to get all the skills within the first 4 zones without grinding for it to hard. They could always have you grind to make them better in the long run, but obtaining them get ridiculously high by the time you get to the last one.

Overall though they really have been listening to the testers and making changes. So who knows what the final product might be like.
    killmaxski
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited March 2019
    Sad to hear this. Especially the fact that MMO side actually ruined the game. ( something I expected to be best feature )
    I had high expectations for this one. But it seems that Wolcen is still best upcoming.
    And POE is still king...

Also PW is greedy company. They push well hidden, but aggressive monetisation. That kicks in late game. And can cost huge amounts, if you fall for paying.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Sad to hear this. Especially the fact that MMO side actually ruined the game. ( something I expected to be best feature )
    I had high expectations for this one. But it seems that Wolcen is still best upcoming.
    And POE is still king...

Also PW is greedy company. They push well hidden, but aggressive monetisation. That kicks in late game. And can cost huge amounts, if you fall for paying.

Last Epoch is another upcoming ARPG.
    edited March 2019

DMKano said:

Seems it is turning into a game those who are fans of the series will like. Hopefully for those fans the monetization will be fair. 

I am a huge fan of TL1 and TL2 but this one seems like a miss to me.

The whole obtaining gear for each frontier is dumb design IMO

Also the gameplay is so mediocre - it's just not living up to the first 2 games.

Finally making it into a mmo was a mistake - as it didn't add to depth of gameplay. 

Also respawning mobs in open world - super lame IMO

TL1 had soul - this one feels so generic and uninspired - sad that this will go down in history as the worst TL game in the franchise

Are you in even the Alpha? Hold judgment until you actually play the game. They are active developers and its currently still in a testing state. Also, only areas where mobs respawn are in the huge open world areas where other players are running around. If they did not respawn it wouldn't make much sense now would it? All the dungeons are completely traditional arpg run-throughs. You literally just read some comments and write up your review of a game you haven't even played. [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited March 2019

bamwalla said:

Honestly it sounds like you didn't even play the game either. Fire armor is best because that's what the goblins do to you, Weapon damage is up to you... but by no means are you running around and other players are taking up the recourses or killing mobs.... straight up lie for Alpha 3 lol. I have about 40 hours in the current alpha alone and I'm here to tell you that's bull. Pacing is not "slow" because its not a Path of Exile or Diablo 3 spam-fest of random numbers and lights. You need to dodge here and get out of the way, fight strategically and out-smart the mobs in many cases. Use your cool-down attacks properly and time it right with it's energy release.
    Post edited by killmaxski on
    And POE is still king...

If you are waiting for Wolcen be prepared to wait another 20 years.  They can't stop remaking the entire game long enough to release the game.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "worst TL game in the franchise"

"Sad to hear this"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bamwalla said:

Honestly it sounds like you didn't even play the game either. Fire armor is best because that's what the goblins do to you, Weapon damage is up to you... but by no means are you running around and other players are taking up the recourses or killing mobs.... straight up lie lol. I have about 40 hours in the current alpha alone and I'm here to tell you that's bull. Pacing is not "slow" because its not a Path of Exile or Diablo 3 spam-fest of random numbers and lights. You need to dodge here and get out of the way, fight strategically and out-smart the mobs in many cases. Use your cool-down attacks properly and time it right with it's energy release. Again I do not believe for a second you actually played the game either. GG
    Guessing you never played on a level with 3 dusk mages running in the same area as you spamming unholy bolt.  Had one quest to kill 8 elite goblin mobs in an earlier zone, took me sitting through 5 day/night cycles to get it as a forge because the dust mages where killing things as fast as they popped up.  Not a problem when you don't have others competing for those mobs now that everyone has move on to the higher level areas though.

The game is slow for myself and others it seems, just because you don't think so doesn't make it so.  When you have multiple people all saying the same thing then the one saying the other is usually the one that isn't correct or on the same page with everyone else.  It has nothing to do with comparing the game to any other game either.  It just feels like you are moving slower than you should.  The pacing for gaining levels is on point right now, that isn't an issue.  The rate of killing is on point for the most part, it is the movement that feels slow, at least to me.  

Hell sitting back and watching harvesting is about as fun as watching paint dry.  I don't know about you but I have been running over areas every time I enter for all the harvesting nodes because I want to make another relic other than the sword which doesn't really fit with the dusk mage or at least the way I choose to play.  I have probably collected over a 1000+ nodes at this point and it is boring as hell, just sitting there waiting for it to finish.  They should cut that animation time in half.

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game myself.  There are things that if they don't change might come back to bite them in the end.  They have been doing a great job of listening, but things like people feeling like the game is slow will not help them in the end.  They did a great job changing the way you level by adding levels and removing the grind where you had to choose whether or not to take the skill or gear upgrades.  Now hopefully they will listen about the speed or the feel of the game. 

Also I haven't had to worry about dodging anything other than boss mobs or when running a phase level with the bombard.  Most of the trash mobs go down in one hit normally now that I have made a dusk mage for this round of testing.  I also don't try to go running thru entire packs I kill them as they come to me.
    killmaxskibamwalla
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

k61977 said:

And POE is still king...

If you are waiting for Wolcen be prepared to wait another 20 years.  They can't stop remaking the entire game long enough to release the game.

Sadly. Because the gameplay is probably on side of best. Wish they would just manage to release it

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

BruceYee said:

Perfect Wallet entertainment will ruin it just like all their games. They wont do it at first. They will wait and see how popular the game gets. That's what they did to Star Trek Online. They plan to sell relic weapon in the shop. They are saying they won't be better than the ones you get ingame but that is a lie. You can bet they will add op stats to them to sell more.
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    How does MMO make it better?
    I often ask myself that these days that about multiplayer games with no PvP. Maybe if I were active on Twitter and Instagram I'd get it. But I'm not, so I don't :)
    [Deleted User]killmaxski
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    How does MMO make it better?
    I often ask myself that these days that about multiplayer games with no PvP. Maybe if I were active on Twitter and Instagram I'd get it. But I'm not, so I don't :)
    If a game isn't built around pvp from the top to the bottom then it is a waste of time in doing it.  A strictly pve game shouldn't have pvp.  I was so glad to hear the devs of this one say that pvp will never be a main part of the game.  They have toyed with it but it will be a sideshow if anything later.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    "never played them" when they announced this "i got EXCITED !!" pretty much sums it up as BS .

cheap low end graphics,PUNY characters ,terrible 1990's type game engine.Looks like a very cheap game,there was no reason whatsoever for this team to create yet another Diablo clone,this is just a cash grab.,a lazy cash grab.
    killmaxski

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Wizardry said:
    "never played them" when they announced this "i got EXCITED !!" pretty much sums it up as BS .

cheap low end graphics,PUNY characters ,terrible 1990's type game engine.Looks like a very cheap game,there was no reason whatsoever for this team to create yet another Diablo clone,this is just a cash grab.,a lazy cash grab.
    Wow you really have no idea what you're talking about. The graphics are the Torchlight style and they work very well for this game. The game engine is solid and it's a lot of fun to play. Many of us are looking forward to it. Why do you find it necessary to literally shit in every thread that's put up here? Nothing better to do with your life? What a sad individual.....
    killmaxski
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    For Senility

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited March 2019
    Would any other

"worst TL game in the franchise"

"Sad to hear this"

No such thing as a bad Torchlight game.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I was lookin forward to the game but Hive brought up a couple concerns for me. Scaling for different frontiers (losing armor values) and losing progression is not good.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!