Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pearl Abyss at Work on 'Adorable Family MMORPG' Called Project V - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePearl Abyss at Work on 'Adorable Family MMORPG' Called Project V - MMORPG.com News

Pearl Abyss has announced that it is working on "an adorable family MMORPG that everyone can enjoy together" called Project V. The announcement was made on the company's Facebook page (thanks, anonymous tipster!) and it features a piece of concept art showing a large stylized city and characters. According to MMO-Culture, the company is using a new game engine rather than the Black Desert engine due to its age. The new one allows development into the future with improved quality.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited March 2019
    I don't know what to think about when it comes to Pearl Abyss but I love casual family type games a lot. I really enjoyed playing MapleStory 2 with my family so if this game can give me a similar enjoyment, I would gladly play it. Really like that picture too. I hope they won't screw this up.
    SBFord[Deleted User]Valdheim
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited March 2019
    I'm so starved for a decent mmorpg, that I'd be happy to play even something that looks like Fiesta as long as it's decent.
    Post edited by Xingbairong on
    ceh430Gentrifried_ChickenValdheim
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I love this art style. I would play it if it had good life systems.
    SBFordceh430

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm betting on it being a cross-platform game with consoles, mobile and PC. If it's one account across all, I'll be thrilled. :) Looks fun and the world needs another family-friendly MMO now that Wizard101 is showing its age. I'm watching!
    SignexValdheim

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MauroDiogoMauroDiogo Member UncommonPosts: 53
    "You're a kid now, you're a squid now, you're a kid now, you're a squid now. You're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, you're a squid." Leaked intro song lyrics. :O
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It look like "family game" assumes everyone in the family has taste (and brains probably) of 10yo.
    yazuach[Deleted User]kitaradPanther2103

Thank you for your time!

• xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited March 2019

"You're a kid now, you're a squid now, you're a kid now, you're a squid now. You're a kid, you're a squid, you're a kid, you're a squid." Leaked intro song lyrics. :O

Seems like you can be an animal, looking at image in mirror... or have animal friends??
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Love the art style.
    Valdheim
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited March 2019
    3dom said:
    It look like "family game" assumes everyone in the family has taste (and brains probably) of 10yo.
    Different culture. They probably value cute. Maybe they look at your tastes and have a similar reaction.

3dom: "I don't care"
    Different culture: "Neither do we"
    BadSpockPanther2103
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    actually this is interesting.. this actually rised my eyebrow a bit

So What Now?

• BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Instantly thought of Splatoon because of the sitting posture and the cityscape.  Not a bad thing, the art style looks nice . I'm always looking for something to play with my nephew and niece not too competitive (they whip me in Mariocart and take it very seriously lol)
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    This is really cool, looking forward to playing it with my daughter assuming it's coming stateside in a few years.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Seeing this kind of Japanese city scape just makes me think of how much I would prefer a Persona-like MMO over a Splatoon-like one.
    [Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Aeander said:
    Seeing this kind of Japanese city scape just makes me think of how much I would prefer a Persona-like MMO over a Splatoon-like one.
    There was a SMT MMO, which is basically Persona (minus the highschool jazz), it was weird and different compared to everything on the market.  Didn't get much traction or marketing in the states at least.  I remember playing it for a few months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Imagine
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    Aeander said:
    There was a SMT MMO, which is basically Persona (minus the highschool jazz), it was weird and different compared to everything on the market.  Didn't get much traction or marketing in the states at least.  I remember playing it for a few months.

The social elements and acid jazz soundtrack are a huge part of my love for Persona.

Anyway, it's sad to see this failed. This type of game would probably have performed better had it released today, during the modern JRPG Renaissance we're experiencing.
    Hashbrick
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited March 2019
    Aeander said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Aeander said:

The social elements and acid jazz soundtrack are a huge part of my love for Persona.

Anyway, it's sad to see this failed. This type of game would probably have performed better had it released today, during the modern JRPG Renaissance we're experiencing.
    It would have failed anyways because the game itself just wasn't that good quality, sadly.  It played really... clunky.  Graphics weren't very good either.

Too bad because I liked the atmosphere and style.   Although it was kinda a generic MMO besides that and your demon companion (which still isn't that big a deal). And rather than a Japanese city, it was more an apocalyptic wasteland of what once was a Japanese city if that much.

"According to MMO-Culture, the company is using a new game engine rather than the Black Desert engine due to its age. The new one allows development into the future with improved quality."

That's not a very nice thing for them to say about the engine of their own game Black Desert :P

Anyways, I hope this game doesn't turn out like Maple Story 2 where it had this wonderful unique almost magical style on top of what was an incredibly generic and bland MMORPG.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think this looks interesting. Definitely welcome to any new ideas in the MMORPG industry, including bringing back MMO's for all ages. 
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Another Korean MMO, from a crooked Korean MMO developer? No thank you! I want a (real) AAA MMO...not a flashy POS!