Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar - 'We Are Nomadic Now' as the Team Gives Up Its Office Space - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 1,071
    Scot said:

Anyone ever consider not going for blood with every news piece?

Wouldn't really be the mmorpg.com forum then, would it?
    We are not that bad, when gaming companies try to spin news like this we spell it out which is only fair. But as to the wider issues of SotA I can only hope they stay alive and kicking as there are only two indie MMOs which have actually launched so they are in a rather exclusive club.
    To be fair he’s not lying even if it’s to cover paychecks. Paychecks do fall under “other things”. 
    He framed it like it was some smart business choice and not a move made out of budget pressures.  If it was such a great move, methinks someone at Port might've had the right bulb go off before now.

If you're going to spoon-feed folks obvious bullshit with some sprinkles on it to make it look good, you can't expect to get away without receiving some disgusted looks.
    That is a smart business choice lol. Truth is they didn’t have to say anything at all and probably would have been better off keeping it quiet. 
    squibblyKyleranHluill
    edited March 4
    Scot said:

Anyone ever consider not going for blood with every news piece?

Wouldn't really be the mmorpg.com forum then, would it?
    We are not that bad, when gaming companies try to spin news like this we spell it out which is only fair. But as to the wider issues of SotA I can only hope they stay alive and kicking as there are only two indie MMOs which have actually launched so they are in a rather exclusive club.
    To be fair he’s not lying even if it’s to cover paychecks. Paychecks do fall under “other things”. 
    People will see through this which hopefully people will not be stupid enough to contribute to the cash shop only to see items be worthless when they go down in flames.

I hate seeing all these companies laying off and shutting down but they do bring it on themselves.  They just did not release a particularly compelling game.  It looks and plays like a bad Kings Quest game. 

That risk is taken when putting cash into any digital service. The people who actually enjoy the game absolutely should not stop paying if they want it to stick around.

i couldn’t get into it, not my style, but that doesn’t mean om Going to shit talk them either. 

Except that hat horse statue, that shit was hilariously. 
    squibblyGdemamiAragon100
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,595
    Their office building was doubtless pretty expensive.  On a major junction off Mopac, their rent couldn't have been cheap....
    Hluill

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    He framed it like it was some smart business choice and not a move made out of budget pressures.  If it was such a great move, methinks someone at Port might've had the right bulb go off before now.

If you're going to spoon-feed folks obvious bullshit with some sprinkles on it to make it look good, you can't expect to get away without receiving some disgusted looks.
    That is a smart business choice lol. Truth is they didn’t have to say anything at all and probably would have been better off keeping it quiet. 
    It was merely a necessary one.  I don't think anyone can look at that project and think, "Yea, they're making smart business moves."  I think their business would be faring much better if they were.
    JamesGoblinGdemami

It was merely a necessary one.  I don't think anyone can look at that project and think, "Yea, they're making smart business moves."  I think their business would be faring much better if they were.
    No matter how much you try to spin it it’s a good business choice.
    craftseekersquibblyKyleranunfilteredJWGdemamiAragon100Hluill
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 965
    I can now see the doors closing on this.... Wait, maybe not, sounds like they don't have any doors! :)
    JamesGoblinsquibblyNildeninfomatzRnjypsyLeFantomeAragon100
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 814
    This is a very bad sign. The lack of an office for collaboration will take it's toll relatively quickly. I'm all for telecommuting for a portion of your workweek, depending on your roll in an organization. However, losing the opportunities for day to day quick meetings and such will always have a serious impact on internal communication.

It wouldn't be as concerning if they scaled back their office space but retained a central office for meetings and such once or twice a week for the majority of the staff.

Very bad indeed.
    ThuplicraftseekerKyleranGdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,949
    Does this mean I won’t be getting my episodes 2 and 3 anytime soon?
    JamesGoblinLeFantome

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,518
    edited March 5
    Oh, the irony of the SotA developers not being able to afford housing. And holy shit, the cult power is strong with this one. Most of the players on the official forum thread about working remotely are buying in that this is a good sign for Portalarium and the game. What would it take for their faith to be shaken? Anything short of the total closing of the game?
    ThuplicraftseekersquibblyNildeninfomatzJamesGoblinRnjypsyEarthgirltweedledumb99Aragon100
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Yep and next it will be "And to save on rent and utilities we've taken to wearing all our clothes at once and sleeping in the streets. And to save on food bills we now just eat what we can find in a dumpster."
    ArteriusJamesGoblinAragon100Hluill

"People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos...
    That some sort of culture of violence will take them over.
    Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally, thousands of songs
    About heartbreak, rejection...pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music
    Because I was miserable... or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,994
    Just make an Ultima gacha mobile game. It'll make billions!...

Next step, back to dial up. It's cheaper to have all communication through a single line.
    JamesGoblinAragon100

It just blows my mind that so many of the players are seeing this as a positive thing.  I've followed the development of this game for years, and I still can't wrap my head around it.
    squibblyKyleranJamesGoblinAragon100
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 133
    edited March 5
    Next week, you will read that the game now only has an offline mode as they free up resources and time, according to Long, due to increasing server rental costs and rising utilities.

Going under due to failure can not be masked! We know SotA failed. Nice try, Long!
    craftseekersquibblyJamesGoblinAragon100
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member RarePosts: 1,943
    Translation: We broke as sh*t, yo!
    craftseekersquibblyvelimiriusJamesGoblinAragon100

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

It just blows my mind that so many of the players are seeing this as a positive thing.  I've followed the development of this game for years, and I still can't wrap my head around it.
    Imagine playing the game and you love it. Pretend. Now you also know that the population isn’t up to snuff. You don’t want the game to shut down so seeing a post about the team cutting costs really is a good sign. It means they can keep doing what they’re doing with sota and the servers can stay up. 
    squibblyAragon100Hluill
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Spin!! You must be rotating at a couple of Megahertz!
    A business that doesn't have commercial premises is called a hobby! A smart business choice would be a  smallish office with a conference room big enough for meetings, a receptionist and a couple of senior staff. With everyone else telecommuting.

This is a panic move to stave off bankruptcy.
    NildensquibblyJamesGoblinVrikaGdemamitweedledumb99Aragon100

A business that doesn't have commercial premises is called a hobby! A smart business choice would be a  smallish office with a conference room big enough for meetings, a receptionist and a couple of senior staff. With everyone else telecommuting.

Except none of that is required. Smart move. 
    squibblycraftseekerGdemamiAragon100
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,881

Oh yeah these guys are absolute business geniuses. What's next the server room is a closet in Garriots mansion? Good business move. /slowclap
    craftseekerJamesGoblinGdemamiAragon100

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Nilden said:

Oh yeah these guys are absolute business geniuses. What's next the server room is a closet in Garriots mansion? Good business move. /slowclap
    Keeping the doors open.
    craftseekerAragon100
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,881
    Nilden said:

Keeping the doors open.
    You just made @Emeraq look even funnier with the no doors joke.
    ChildoftheShadowsJamesGoblinAragon100

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 568
    edited March 5
    Where are the white knights ? The game is awesome, with thousand of players blah blah blah.. Guys.. the turd is going to be flushed , really soon.
    Post edited by LeFantome on
    JamesGoblinAragon100

LeFantome said:
    Where are the white knights ? The game is awesome, with thousand of players blah blah blah.. Guys.. the turd is going to be flushed , really soon. I wonder what Chris is going to become.
    IDK, that Vladimir guy that was all over the place is no longer to be found.
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeAragon100
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Nilden said:

Keeping the doors open.
    Hiw can they be 'keeping the doors open' when they just stopped leasing the doors?
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinAragon100