Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inscription & Loot Updates Detailed by Anthem Devs - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageInscription & Loot Updates Detailed by Anthem Devs - MMORPG.com

The Anthem Reddit has a new post from BioWare's Lead Producer Ben Irving. In it, Irving lays out some significant changes coming to the loot system, much of it based on community feedback. Most notably, BioWare is targeting Inscriptions and making them more useful to the items to which they are attached.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited February 2019
    Yaiks!! run as far as you can! There is no excuse for releasing alpha version. Remember when last year the lead director left the game? It was doomed to beginn with- those poor leftovers that remained at this game are trying their hardest to fix it- but its to late. Anthem is not even ready for beta yet! It shows that those poor design decisions were not tested at all. ALL OF YOU WHO BOUGHT IT- YOU ARE THE MICES IN THE LABYRINTH- THE TRUE VICTIMS! What you get now as patches are the easy solutions to this mess. Im pretty sure, the game wanted to be something very different and unique: p2w cash shop and a paid live service with a boxed price on top of that. A true tripple scam. Who knows, maybe its going that way anyway.
    [Deleted User]mmolouanemoKalafaxmomintimRobbgobbRhygarthcatofmanygrg210MrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Another launch that is really early access, I am thinking more end of the year now before I get it, but at some stage I will.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Is this like a new team that is using the Bioware name? Or have all the veterans left? Or, are they doing something completely different from what they've done over the years?

Diablo 3 dev offers ideas on fixing Anthem design
    Anthem and similar titles draw a lot of inspiration from dungeon crawlers, so it makes sense that a Diablo 3 dev has some quality feedback.
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/110175/diablo-3-dev-offers-ideas-on-fixing-anthem-design
    Gdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Is this like a new team that is using the Bioware name? Or have all the veterans left? Or, are they doing something completely different from what they've done over the years?

Diablo 3 dev offers ideas on fixing Anthem design
    Anthem and similar titles draw a lot of inspiration from dungeon crawlers, so it makes sense that a Diablo 3 dev has some quality feedback.
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/110175/diablo-3-dev-offers-ideas-on-fixing-anthem-design
    We have a 100+ response thread right here at MMORPG.com. ;)

https://www.mmorpg.com/anthem/news/former-diablo-3-developer-examines-loot-and-rewards-in-anthem-1000051611
    3domScotOctagon7711

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited February 2019
    What is it with all these companies releasing half baked games?
    GdemamiLastlaughlolJimWraith
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398

exile01 said:

Yaiks!! run as far as you can! There is no excuse for releasing alpha version. Remember when last year the lead director left the game? It was doomed to beginn with- those poor leftovers that remained at this game are trying their hardest to fix it- but its to late. Anthem is not even ready for beta yet! It shows that those poor design decisions were not tested at all. ALL OF YOU WHO BOUGHT IT- YOU ARE THE MICES IN THE LABYRINTH- THE TRUE VICTIMS!
    What you get now as patches are the easy solutions to this mess. Im pretty sure, the game wanted to be something very different and unique: p2w cash shop and a paid live service with a boxed price on top of that. A true tripple scam. Who knows, maybe its going that way anyway.

It is not an alpha game, it's a game as a service, it'll get updates and improvement over time

Are you a chinese spy who trash talk about every company not yet owned by Tencent ?
    Lark3m[Deleted User]Kalafaxcatofmany
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    edited February 2019
    Level 22 right now and still enjoying it. Glad that they are taking some steps towards improving the loot.

Though in the future, more exotic, interesting loot would be nice. Destiny has guns that shoot lazers and lightning. Why can't we have that? It's not like the technology isn't there. I mean I play a Javelin that can shoot fire/ice/lightning out of its hands.
    [Deleted User]KalafaxLastlaughlolblastermastercatofmanyMrMelGibson
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

cheyane said:

you still pre order and buy on first day, why they would not do so? and you can't even say you didn't know this time
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Lark3mLark3m Member UncommonPosts: 48

Scellow said:

exile01 said:

Yaiks!! run as far as you can! There is no excuse for releasing alpha version. Remember when last year the lead director left the game? It was doomed to beginn with- those poor leftovers that remained at this game are trying their hardest to fix it- but its to late. Anthem is not even ready for beta yet! It shows that those poor design decisions were not tested at all. ALL OF YOU WHO BOUGHT IT- YOU ARE THE MICES IN THE LABYRINTH- THE TRUE VICTIMS!

What you get now as patches are the easy solutions to this mess. Im pretty sure, the game wanted to be something very different and unique: p2w cash shop and a paid live service with a boxed price on top of that. A true tripple scam. Who knows, maybe its going that way anyway.

It is not an alpha game, it's a game as a service, it'll get updates and improvement over time

Are you a chinese spy who trash talk about every company not yet owned by Tencent ?

"game as a service", Warframe (F2P and now owned by Tencent) fits that better than Anthem. Why am I paying full price now for a game that is broken and incomplete? It's become the norm and it's pisses me off. Also, nice attempt to redirect instead of challenging the rest of the points that were brought up.
    GdemamiKalafax
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    When will gamers get back to being excited about, have fun playing, and enjoy discussing positive aspects of games that come out? Or was there never a time? It just seems like so many people in forums have nothing good to say about any game now-a-days.

Am I some strange mutant due to the fact that I actually enjoy playing new games? I mean, when's the last time a game came out that was perfect, or didn't get a number of patches? Even before being able to download patches was a thing weren't there some games that had updates you had to pay for and have mailed to you? Or am I dreaming that?
    KalafaxApollosWill[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    sschrupp said:
    When will gamers get back to being excited about, have fun playing, and enjoy discussing positive aspects of games that come out? Or was there never a time? It just seems like so many people in forums have nothing good to say about any game now-a-days.

Am I some strange mutant due to the fact that I actually enjoy playing new games? I mean, when's the last time a game came out that was perfect, or didn't get a number of patches? Even before being able to download patches was a thing weren't there some games that had updates you had to pay for and have mailed to you? Or am I dreaming that?
    I think that people simply go farther to complain about problems than to praise the good things.

Afterall, when something is working as intended, that is taken for granted. You shouldn't have to be ecstatic that the thing you paid for does what it is supposed to do. But sometimes, yes, a game does go above and beyond in doing something truly spectacular that has to be remarked on. 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Love the fast responses and very open, honest communication. Bioware definitely learned the lesson Bungie never has.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

cheyane said:

As some developer said "you are releasing it too late if you are not ashamed of the quality of your product"

Thank you for your time!

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    sschrupp said:

You aren't alone :)

I spend an average of 1500 a year on games (on the low end), and have been a passionate gamer for going on 30 years now. I largely do not give a shit what review sites say, or what the "masses" like to complain about. I see something that catches my eye, I play it, I get my enjoyment out of it, and I move on and continue consuming. 

I play dozens of titles every year. Very rarely have I ever been truly disappointed by a product. Every single game I've ever played has flaws, but they aren't enough to take away from my overall enjoyment of games.

Anthem is just another case. There are a few things I don't care for, such as the force-you-to-teleport-to-keep-up-with-the-strangers-in-your-group-when-you-want-to-take-your-time-exploring, but does it take away from my enjoyment? Not in the least. I'm still having hella fun. 

The storyline alone was worth the price of the product. Did it have a few generic moments? Yep. Who gives a shit? It was well put together, the cut scenes were awesome, and I had fun while playing through it. That, to me, is all that matters. 

On top of that, my brother is having fun, the people we play with our having fun, and even though we all have little nit picks (they've still got some networking issues to sort out to stop the random kicks from the game) about the product, overall we're having fun. 

No game is perfect when it launches. Not even critically acclaimed titles. They all have patches to fix bugs and other issues. 

My advice? Ignore the snowflakes, focus on your own fun, and keep on gaming :) 
    mmolou[Deleted User]cmacqApollosWillblastermasterHordedograduu
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    @Renfail. Thank You, I couldn't agree more. It's far from perfect but I get up every day looking forward to logging in and playing it. That certainly says something and I too have been gaming since they made the first one.
    Renfail
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Aeander said:

Level 22 right now and still enjoying it. Glad that they are taking some steps towards improving the loot.

Though in the future, more exotic, interesting loot would be nice. Destiny has guns that shoot lazers and lightning. Why can't we have that? It's not like the technology isn't there. I mean I play a Javelin that can shoot fire/ice/lightning out of its hands.

They showcased some guns that did elemental damage prior release, so they technically have them. Not sure why they weren't there at release tough (unless they deliberately took them off to introduce them as "extra" content later on).

Bloodaxes said:

Aeander said:

They showcased some guns that did elemental damage prior release, so they technically have them. Not sure why they weren't there at release tough (unless they deliberately took them off to introduce them as "extra" content later on).
    There's also a HUGE array of specializations with your abilities, above and beyond simply weapons. My Storm, for example, can mix and match all sorts of different abilities for fire, ice, lightning, and etc., giving me a full range of diverse options. 

Started getting my first Masterworks when I graduated to Grandmaster 1 a couple of days ago, and those items have even MORE diversity. 

Really looking forward to the loot changes coming this week!
    cmacq said:
    @Renfail. Thank You, I couldn't agree more. It's far from perfect but I get up every day looking forward to logging in and playing it. That certainly says something and I too have been gaming since they made the first one.
    It's how I start my day lately :) Up at 5 a.m. and coffee + breakfast + Anthem until it's time for my workout, so I usually get a good hour, hour and a half in!

I'm addicted to the combat on my Storm. Ranger is slightly less fun for me, but still enjoyable, but the Storm, to me, is great, just hovering around the battlefield and raining down elemental hell on everything =P
    cmacq
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    #1 playing for the loot or because the game is fun?
    #2  A d3 dev has something to say"?LMAO he would be the LAST person i'd listen to.

Now on the subject of loot,let's say people play it because they think it is fun,for whatever reason that might be,they are correct the loot system is done like Star Wars was and like AOC was ...CRAP.I am not even getting into the many layers that loot should involve and how it should tie in with combat and your character and if the game actually did anything other than pew pew.

Anthem's biggest draw/gimmick,you can fly around ..weeeeeeeee,free willy free willy.

Anthem does NOTHING new or creative,has miles of EMPTY meaningless space and does VERY little to even support the flying combat.So final verdict says not only did the team make a boring crap game,they don't know what they are doing making bad crappy games.
    Far i am concerned,a former D3 Dev made the game,might as well chuck it in the same garbage basket as D3 and D2 and D1 and any other arpg.

Aeander[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Renfail said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Aeander said:

There's also a HUGE array of specializations with your abilities, above and beyond simply weapons. My Storm, for example, can mix and match all sorts of different abilities for fire, ice, lightning, and etc., giving me a full range of diverse options. 

Started getting my first Masterworks when I graduated to Grandmaster 1 a couple of days ago, and those items have even MORE diversity. 

Theres only one of each for master weapons, and only a few pieces of gear per class at that tier currently.

At present, the variety comes from grinding for not useless bonuses on the gear, the build itself becomes markedly narrow, and numbers are already getting crunched to show what general skills are simply underpowered or imbalanced. And new gear to add variety isn't scheduled for a month.

It may be a fun game to play for a little while, but let's not blow it out of proportion.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

sschrupp said:

God of War, Spider Man. Things people said mostly good things about those games, so no, its not the players. Some of these games are really not finished, players have to give feedback to fix a game? That 100+ team of people worked on and did not see themselves as a problem? People with thousands of hours of combined veteranship in the industry?
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]ScotLimnicGdemamiTacticalZombeh
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

sschrupp said:

God of War, Spider Man. Things people said mostly good things about those games, so no, its not the players. Some of these games are really not finished, players have to give feedback to fix a game? That 100+ team of people worked on and did not see themselves as a problem? People with thousands of hours of combined veteranship in the industry?
    Yup, let's not act like there aren't games that achieve such quality any criticism is vastly outnumbered and drowned out; the Red Dead Redemption sequel is another example.

No, it's not just a population of consumers who won't be happy.  It's a population of producers in this industry who force feed shoddy products because they can leverage things like brand recognition, GaaS, and IP fandom to convince players to pay up anyways.
    LimnicScotGdemamiIselinpantaroTacticalZombeh

edited February 2019
    Limnic said:
    Renfail said:
    Bloodaxes said:

Aeander said:

Theres only one of each for master weapons, and only a few pieces of gear per class at that tier currently.

At present, the variety comes from grinding for not useless bonuses on the gear, the build itself becomes markedly narrow, and numbers are already getting crunched to show what general skills are simply underpowered or imbalanced. And new gear to add variety isn't scheduled for a month.

It may be a fun game to play for a little while, but let's not blow it out of proportion.
    PLENTY of variety to keep folks like me happy and content while playing an enjoyable game. 

I'm two legendaries + five masterworks in presently, and constantly finding new ways to adapt my Storm. 

More variety on the way is going to make things even better. 

The game is what you make of it. You can play it and have fun, or not. I choose the former :) 
    [Deleted User]Rhygarth[Deleted User]
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    That doesn't really address anything I wrote. If you consider a couple items "plenty of variety" though, then good for you.
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Whats up with people hating on GAaS? MMORPGs are the ultimate GAaS products....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer