Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher 3

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,840
So after all these years I finally have a good enough computer to run the Witcher 3. So I went ahead and bought the game today and it will be the first time I have ever booted up a Witcher game. I just have some questions.

1) Should I play on the hardest difficulty setting? Usually in games I tend to go for the hardest setting to get a good challenge but I don't want Dark Souls level of difficulty. With a baby its too hard to focus on a game like that right now.

2) Should I read up on the lore of the first two games? Like I said never played a Wicher game before so don't know if I will be lost since this is the final chapter of a trilogy. 

3) How many hours can I expect to get out of the game? I don't really care about the answer to this question as much I have just heard people say that it is 500 hours long and I don't know if I believe that.

4) Any good tips? I don't want to know build guides but just some general tips that newcomers may miss would be nice.

Either way I am excited to play as I have been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 since 2013. It is exciting to see what kind of game quality I can expect.
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Personally, i played it on easiest mode, the combat is not the games strongest point, but again ymmv, its worth playing for the storylines, which is pretty much what i did. ;)
    goboygo
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,421
    1. I can't remember what difficulty I used but it wasn't the hardest. Combat in Witcher games is different enough from most other games that it takes some getting used to . You can tune it up or down depending on how comfortable you get with combo melee and mixing in signs.

2. It wouldn't hurt to read up on the main story elements of the first two for some extra story depth but it's not crucial.

3. 80-100 hours wouldn't be hard to do. There are a lot of side stories to follow, some of them very good.

4. Do read up on different mob types on your bestiary. This game is very heavy on resistances/weaknesses.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited March 2019
    1) I would suggest to play on normal, go through the story and so on. Once you finish the game, New Game+ will unlock and you can replay the game (there are several endings, each very different from the others) while continuing your leveling - up to level 100 I think. You can combine it with the Death March difficulty for an interesting experience. Mob scaling in W3 can be brutal on higher difficulties and even when you have the best gear, mobs 2-3+ levels above yours can often one-shot you if you're not careful. It can be problematic when you're fighting groups of enemies.

2) It's not strictly necessary, but it adds to the story. Better yet, buy both games, they're cheap nowadays, anyway. Each is different (and plays differently) and they're all very good. The W3's story is a self contained narrative, but all characters and the world around you have their own history. You can play the game without knowing the context, but it will definitely not be as rich an experience - lore-wise - as it could be. Best option, of course, would be to read all the books and play all three games (or five, if you include the adventure game and Thronebreaker).

3) If you're thorough, a single play through of W3 with both expansions could get you close to 200h, I believe. But chances are you will want to replay the game anyway... :) W3 is a game that rewards exploring every small bit. Especially the B&W expansion has many priceless moments. This includes an eye-opening scene in one of the possible paths in Blood & Wine that makes you realise that some very important details of this final W3 expansion were actually publicly alluded to by CDPR even before the base game was released...

4) Build guides are not necessary for W3, none of the encounters requires any min-maxing. If you have B&W, feel free to experiment, as you can get a skills reset potion for 1k gold from alchemists. Generally, sword builds have been fleshed out most by CDPR, which makes sense, as witchers are mostly sword fighters. Personally, I've never come to enjoy the alchemy skills, for example - the sword play to me was always the most fun.

Always carry a bit of extra gold for emergency repairs or bribes (some quests offer you the option to bribe). A few hundred is usually enough.

Do horse racing to win better saddles, they increase your inventory capacity (weight limit).

If you're playing B&W too, save some gold if you want the top upgrades, it can take around 50-60k gold to upgrade all your armour.

If you have problems with an opponent, read up on the monster in the beastiary, it hints at its weaknesses. Don't be afraid to use oils, potions and elixirs, they refill automatically after each meditation (you must have some strong alcohol in your inventory, though - luckily, it drops off almost any mob, especially humanoids).

Food restores your health - you can use it during combat. If you also use a vitality restoring potion (swallow), your health will regenerate super fast. You have two quick use slots for food and there are two qualities of food items - one restores 50 health, the other 80 health per tick.

If you run into tough enemies, don't be afraid to run away to reset.

Use storage in any inn, all inns are linked and you can access your stash from any of them.

If in doubt, the Witcher wiki generally has good articles on quests and what to do.

And have fun with Gwent - by far the best mini game ever! Save your game before every Gwent match, especially with pro opponents.

And one final tip: if you have B&W and a small beggar kid runs up to you first time you come to Beauclair, asking for 1 gold - give him the coin. You will be thankful later on in one of the quests (a very rewarding one, too!)
    Post edited by BrotherMaynard on
    ArteriusMrMelGibson
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    My only advice is to change the Movement option to Alternative, it makes it much more fluid to move your character, after i changed that i enjoyed the game alot more.
    Sovrath
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,840
    1) I would suggest to play on normal, go through the story and so on. Once you finish the game, New Game+ will unlock and you can replay the game (there are several endings, each very different from the others) while continuing your leveling - up to level 100 I think. You can combine it with the Death March difficulty for an interesting experience. Mob scaling in W3 can be brutal on higher difficulties and even when you have the best gear, mobs 2-3+ levels above yours can often one-shot you if you're not careful. It can be problematic when you're fighting groups of enemies.

2) It's not strictly necessary, but it adds to the story. Better yet, buy both games, they're cheap nowadays, anyway. Each is different (and plays differently) and they're all very good. The W3's story is a self contained narrative, but all characters and the world around you have their own history. You can play the game without knowing the context, but it will definitely not be as rich an experience - lore-wise - as it could be. Best option, of course, would be to read all the books and play all three games (or five, if you include the adventure game and Thronebreaker).

3) If you're thorough, a single play through of W3 with both expansions could get you close to 200h, I believe. But chances are you will want to replay the game anyway... :) W3 is a game that rewards exploring every small bit. Especially the B&W expansion has many priceless moments. This includes an eye-opening scene in one of the possible paths in Blood & Wine that makes you realise that some very important details of this final W3 expansion were actually publicly alluded to by CDPR even before the base game was released...

4) Build guides are not necessary for W3, none of the encounters requires any mix-maxing. If you have B&W, feel free to experiment, as you can get a skills reset potion for 1k gold from alchemists. Generally, sword builds have been fleshed out most by CDPR, which makes sense, as witchers are mostly sword fighters. Personally, I've never come to enjoy the alchemy skills, for example - the sword play to me was always the most fun.

Always carry a bit of extra gold for emergency repairs or bribes (some quests offer you the option to bribe). A few hundred is usually enough.

Do horse racing to win better saddles, they increase your inventory capacity (weight limit).

If you're playing B&W too, save some gold if you want the top upgrades, it can take around 50-60k gold to upgrade all your armour.

If you have problems with an opponent, read up on the monster in the beastiary, it hints at its weaknesses. Don't be afraid to use oils, potions and elixirs, they refill automatically after each meditation (you must have some strong alcohol in your inventory, though - luckily, it drops off almost any mob, especially humanoids).

Food restores your health - you can use it during combat. If you also use a vitality restoring potion (swallow), your health will regenerate super fast. You have two quick use slots for food and there are two qualities of food items - one restores 50 health, the other 80 health per tick.

If you run into tough enemies, don't be afraid to run away to reset.

Use storage in any inn, all inns are linked and you can access your stash from any of them.

If in doubt, the Witcher wiki generally has good articles on quests and what to do.

And have fun with Gwent - by far the best mini game ever! Save your game before every Gwent match, especially with pro opponents.

And one final tip: if you have B&W and a small beggar kid runs up to you first time you come to Beauclair, asking for 1 gold - give him the coin. You will be thankful later on in one of the quests (a very rewarding one, too!)
    Wow thanks for this massive write up

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,671
    I was looking at Witcher 3 on Steam and it looked to me like it was ported in from the console and meant to be played with a controller...Is this accurate?
    I was looking at Witcher 3 on Steam and it looked to me like it was ported in from the console and meant to be played with a controller...Is this accurate?
    I heard the game is better to play with a controller than a keyboard. So  i am actually playing it on my Xbox right now. So i can't say

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,632
    It is easier with a controller and would recommend going that route.

Keyboard and mouse is not horrible but you would definitely want to modify some of the keybinds to make things easier.  Played both and definitely felt better with a controller.
    MrMelGibson
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited March 2019
    I played on Death March.. you can honestly just cheese any fight in the game by doing hit, roll, hit, roll, hit, roll, hit, roll, etc.

Seriously.. you are immortal. You won't even get hit once doing that.
    Arterius
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,140
    I played on Death March.. you can honestly just cheese any fight in the game by doing hit, roll, hit, roll, hit, roll, hit, roll, etc.

So its the same combat model as basically every console game out, cool, just reaffirmation what I already thought to be true.  That's been my experience on every console port I've played.
  • Mr.GutsyMr.Gutsy Member UncommonPosts: 54

That's boring. Use Aard combined with sword swings plus throw bombs to mix it up. 
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member UncommonPosts: 189

That's not completely true. Ranged enemies can hit you easily while rolling and quite frequently melee hit you too, if you roll too close to them. When you're fighting groups of mobs (there's plenty of them in B&W), you can get hit fairly easily. Also, some of the melee mobs carry halberds and similarly long weapons, and their reach can surprise you in the worst possible way...

Also, there are bugs with the Fleet Footed ability, so dodge is not 100% reliable either.

And finally, rolling pauses stamina regen. So if you roll too often, you won't have stamina to cast signs (you can invest in the signs ability group to counter this, but unless you're aiming for a caster build, it would be a waste of ability points).
    Arterius
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,025
    Use food buffs for health regen. Use your oils. Especially when fighting harder mobs. They make it a lot easier. Do the side quests. Some are as good as any main story quests storywise. Your crossbow will bring down flying mobs for easy kills. It's also your only means of attack under water.  Set map markers for any interesting locations or elites you are too low level for atm. It will make it easier later on when you want to kill them. If I think of more that haven't been mentioned already I'll post again.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,140
    Mr.Gutsy said:

That's boring. Use Aard combined with sword swings plus throw bombs to mix it up. 
    The problem is that you dont HAVE to which means its not a well rounded system.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,409
    goboygo said:
    Mr.Gutsy said:

The problem is that you dont HAVE to which means its not a well rounded system.
    Wait, you can cheese every fight in the souls games by hit roll hit roll hit roll and nobody complain.

I've never done this in Witcher 3 and i die often. It is really enjoyable to fight enemies in TW3.
    People who choose to cheese a system then complain, it's their own fault.

People find ways to cheese combat mechanics in all games. So by your logic no games have well rounded systems.

My thoughts.
    Arterius

edited March 2019
    Arterius said:
    So after all these years I finally have a good enough computer to run the Witcher 3. So I went ahead and bought the game today and it will be the first time I have ever booted up a Witcher game. I just have some questions.

1) Should I play on the hardest difficulty setting? Usually in games I tend to go for the hardest setting to get a good challenge but I don't want Dark Souls level of difficulty. With a baby its too hard to focus on a game like that right now.

2) Should I read up on the lore of the first two games? Like I said never played a Wicher game before so don't know if I will be lost since this is the final chapter of a trilogy. 

3) How many hours can I expect to get out of the game? I don't really care about the answer to this question as much I have just heard people say that it is 500 hours long and I don't know if I believe that.

4) Any good tips? I don't want to know build guides but just some general tips that newcomers may miss would be nice.

Either way I am excited to play as I have been waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 since 2013. It is exciting to see what kind of game quality I can expect.
    I always play on normal in my first play through.

If you like story in games i recommend you catch up with the lore of Witcher 1 and 2 before playing 3. The story continues from the first game to the last, and in TW3 you will meet people you knew from the previous games. No spoilers here but I had to look up a guide in TW3 to make sure i did something in certain way early on for a very memorable (to me) character from TW1, to  avoid a certain result towards the end. So yes, if you like lore, i highly recommend you catch up.

Hundreds of hours very easily, plus 30-40+ more hours from two great DLCs.

Some tips i can give, explore the world, towns, all areas of the cities, outskirts, etc. Even side quests in TW3 feel well done and interesting. People you normally bypass in mmos as static npcs here may have in depth background and could set you up for a nice quest chain. Also get used to both the witcher magic and alchemy as they are very helpful.

edited March 2019

That's not completely true. Ranged enemies can hit you easily while rolling and quite frequently melee hit you too, if you roll too close to them. When you're fighting groups of mobs (there's plenty of them in B&W), you can get hit fairly easily. Also, some of the melee mobs carry halberds and similarly long weapons, and their reach can surprise you in the worst possible way...

Also, there are bugs with the Fleet Footed ability, so dodge is not 100% reliable either.

And finally, rolling pauses stamina regen. So if you roll too often, you won't have stamina to cast signs (you can invest in the signs ability group to counter this, but unless you're aiming for a caster build, it would be a waste of ability points).
    You misunderstand what I mean. You can literally fast attack, roll, fast attack, roll, fast attack, roll.

No signs, no heavy attacks, no items, only single strikes. I'm pretty sure you are immune to damage when you roll but I'd have to double check.

It takes a while on harder enemies but you can beat anything.

Plus, I know it's boring.. but it's hard not to start doing it once your health gets below half way when you know you can always do it. It trivialised the game for me once I realised I could do it.. kind of ruined it a bit for me.
    goboygo said:

So its the same combat model as basically every console game out, cool, just reaffirmation what I already thought to be true.  That's been my experience on every console port I've played.
    Really doesn't reaffirm anything for you. Witcher 3 is one of the best RPGs ever made. Not the best, imo, but it's up there. Any RPG fan should play it, not doing so is quite dumb.

You misunderstand what I mean. You can literally fast attack, roll, fast attack, roll, fast attack, roll.

No signs, no heavy attacks, no items, only single strikes. I'm pretty sure you are immune to damage when you roll but I'd have to double check.

It takes a while on harder enemies but you can beat anything.

Plus, I know it's boring.. but it's hard not to start doing it once your health gets below half way when you know you can always do it. It trivialised the game for me once I realised I could do it.. kind of ruined it a bit for me.
    you are not immune when you roll. There is a passive sign that reduces damage taken when you roll. I do think there is a frame where you don't take damage, with perfect timing. Similar to parry/counter.

So sadly The Witcher 3 is not for me. I don't know what I expected but I walk away a little disappointed after hearing such good things about the game. This didn't kill the hype for Cyberpunk 2077 in the slighest as I love a good sci-fi setting more than Fantasy. 

I think that was the problem. I think The Witcher 3 was more high fantasy then I thought it was going to be. After finishing the first map and collecting everything I tuned out. Played for a good 8-10 hours. So I moved on to the next game on the list Divinity Original Sin 2 and I am in love with it. I just hope that the choices I make and the tags i choose during character creation alter the stories in crazy ways. I just started DOS2 so I don't expect to find out for a while but I am in.

Thanks for everyone who replied on this thread giving me helpful advice and I am sorry for not sticking with it but there are just too many games and not enough time. This year alone twelve games come out that I am on the edge of my seat for.

• Queenfourteen14Queenfourteen14 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a thoughtful, diverse, and frequently awe-inspiring adventure. Its stories are deep and satisfying, unafraid to touch on themes of personal character, presenting players with choices and consequences that aren’t about turning into a hero or a villain. In the end, it’s quite simply one of the best RPGs ever made. I've got the apk file of this game from top1apk. So, instead of attaching to my game console, now i can play with my phone. Anyway, this game is good for entertainment. 
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,101
    Arterius said:
    So sadly The Witcher 3 is not for me. I don't know what I expected but I walk away a little disappointed after hearing such good things about the game. I just started DOS2 so I don't expect to find out for a while but I am in.

Thanks for everyone who replied on this thread giving me helpful advice and I am sorry for not sticking with it but there are just too many games and not enough time. This year alone twelve games come out that I am on the edge of my seat for.
    I played Witcher3 for a bit. Was very late to the game even though I bought it soon after release because my PC kept crashing in the first fight. I didn't get to really play it until I upgraded my PC last year. I thought it was okay. I really did enjoy Divinity: Original Sin 2, and now I am achievement Hunting on Pillars of Eternity, which is a great game imo.

I do plan on going back to the Witcher3 though, so a lot of these comments were beneficial for me :)