Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti launches: Turing at its most efficient

124»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,088
    Quizzical said:
    makes buying an VII a lot easier. 4096 bit memory bus LOL  compared to nvidia's 256 bit LOL . Just dellusional people still buy dated tech.

Vega 54  Memory bus = 2048bits ;Bandwidth 409.6 GB/s

Not even a contest anymore.
    There's no reason to care about memory bus width for its own sake.  What matters is memory bandwidth, capacity, the power it takes to get that, and occasionally space.  Bus width is an input into those things, as is memory clock speed, but it's not something that you should care about in isolation.

But if you do want to play that game, then the memory on the Radeon VII is clocked at 1 GHz, while that of the GeForce GTX 1060 is clocked at 2 GHz, and 2 GHz is a lot more than 1 GHz.  Right?

I do multimedia encoding aand also work which include After Effects from Adobe, it is a huge advantage to have as much band with when rendering. In your own statement you are look at 2ghz at 256 bit memory bus vs 1ghz at 4096 bit , you think a faster gpu clock  with narrow bit width is better ? Kind of weird thing ti think that you can simply increase gpu clocks forever and not widen the memory bit width or speed. Using ddr 6 is nvidia's answer to the future ? that future look bleak imho.
    If you care about memory bandwidth, then look at memory bandwidth.  It's sensible to care about bandwidth for a lot of purposes.  But don't use bus width as a proxy.  Otherwise, you'd end up choosing a Radeon R9 Fury with 512 GB/sec of bandwidth and a 4096-bit memory bus over a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti with 616 GB/sec of bandwidth and a 352-bit memory bus.
    I watched some video of ray tracing as well, it looks more like a blurr effect then anything.
    Ray tracing is not a blur effect.  DLSS will make things blurry, as will any other form of rendering a game at a lower resolution and then upscaling.
    Ozmodan said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Ridelynn said:

The thing with the 1660 Ti is that there are so many variations. With MSRP cards at $280 ranging to mass market cards up to $320-$330 with more premium build quality, more fans, some OC boosting and larger heat sinks for temperature headroom when OC.
    This is true of nearly every GPU though... I mean, just look at RTX 2060 - on Newegg there are 6 different SKUs just from Gigabyte alone, with a $50 spread between them. And there are at least 5 other manufacturers with similar numbers of various SKUs
    True, but so far with the 1660 Ti there are 25 known SKU's, which is pretty nuts! sure some are regional markets but at higher end pricing a RTX 2060 is a better buy.
    Please explain to me how the RTX 2060 is a better buy?  The ray tracing and DLSS on a 2060 is practically useless.  Hence it is not worth one penny more than the 1660.
    Sure - MSRP on the 1660ti is $280 on the 2060 is $350. Those are the lower ends so it varies on what card has your eye ie. Some 1660 Ti models go for $330. Nevertheless there is a basic $70 difference. So that is one piece understood on the other side what about performance? Well @1440p the 1660 Ti is 14% slower over 33 games see below - near the end. At 1080p there is 23% difference according to anandtech.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1799-geforce-gtx-1660-mega-benchmark/

so excluding RTX features like DLSS and Ray Tracing which I agree are in infancy stages but getting better and will get better on performance alone and the price difference it’s worth considering. As I mentioned if you are looking at a 1660 Ti higher end model at $330 and you compare that to a $350 2060 I’d take the $20 extra for a 2060 and the performance boost with it.

You cannot do ray tracing on a 2060 nor DLSS, unless of course you want FPS in the single digits.  My friend at Microcenter tells me they are selling very few 2060's just does not seem to be a market for them.  They already canceled a backup order for them, the stock is just not moving.  It is a card that fits few buyers.  Few gamers do 1440p.  From what I have seen in benchmarks your percentages are quite high.  I very much doubt there is that much difference. 

As to the new Metro, I have seen the game with ray tracing and DLSS turned on with my friend's 2080.   First off it majorly kills performance and it looked to both of us the images were more blurry than with it off.  So far my friend has not found a game where turning ray tracing on is worth it.  He is rather disappointed in Nvidia at this point, he got caught up in their gimmick.

Ray tracing today is about where rasterization was in the early 90s.  It's not just a dumb gimmick, but it's also a long way away from being the solution to everything.

I think that the best way to do ray tracing is to pick much lighter computational loads for it.  Don't try to do all the complexity of high end graphics, and then stack ray tracing on top of that.  Rather, have much simpler models, with both fewer polygons and fewer models, perhaps about on the order of complexity that you'd have done on a Nintendo 64.

And then go full ray tracing for everything.  Have quite a few reflections and proper shadows, and use them in a way that actually matters for gameplay.  Maybe a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti would only be able to run the game at 1024x768 to get a good frame rate.  So what.  Show off what ray tracing can do by making a game that could not be made with rasterization.  Make a game that is to ray tracing what StarFox was to rasterization.

Build the game for low resolutions, and make sure that the UI scales well to very low resolutions--like 320x240.  Build the game to run in a window rather than assuming the full screen.  Have a software version of ray tracing to allow the game to run on non-RTX hardware, but merely at very low frame rates or resolutions (or both).

Needing a top end GPU to run the game at a rather low resolution means that the game would only have a small niche.  Game developers don't have much incentive to make a game that hardly anyone can play well.  So make it not just a sponsored title in the sense that some other games have, but a fully paid for title with Nvidia funding the development of the entire game.  This doesn't need to be an AAA title; you could do a lot with a few million dollars.  It would really be a marketing expense for Nvidia, so if you spend $3 million to make a game that only gets a small fraction of that back, so what?  Include a few such games for free with purchase of any RTX card.

A few shadows or reflections here and there are barely noticeable other than in their effects on your frame rate.  An entire game full of them will jump out at you.  If you want people to care about ray tracing, you have to make it matter, and that means that a game needs to go all in on it.
    Torval
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    edited March 2019
    There was a Quake 2 rewrite a few weeks ago that redid the entire graphics engine with DXR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ah9b2g/q2vkpt_quake_2_realtime_path_tracing_using_nvidia/

*edit -- mistook Doom for Q2, fixed and added links
    Post edited by Ridelynn on
    TorvalAmazingAvery
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Ridelynn said:
    There was a Quake 2 rewrite a few weeks ago that redid the entire graphics engine with DXR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/ah9b2g/q2vkpt_quake_2_realtime_path_tracing_using_nvidia/

*edit -- mistook Doom for Q2, fixed and added links
    Very interesting read. Thanks! I'd recommend anyone give that a read if you're interested in the topic.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited March 2019
    I was at Microcenter today picking up some parts and they had a new shipment of Nvidia 1660's come in.  I really have to wonder about Nvidia's attempt at marketing this board as it just makes no sense for anyone to purchase one.  For about $30 more you can get a 2060 which is a lot more powerful.  Only a fool would pinch pennies and buy one.

Even the sales reps were skeptical about selling them, they certainly were not going to recommend them.
    Asm0deus
    Ozmodan said:
    I was at Microcenter today picking up some parts and they had a new shipment of Nvidia 1660's come in.  I really have to wonder about Nvidia's attempt at marketing this board as it just makes no sense for anyone to purchase one.  For about $30 more you can get a 2060 which is a lot more powerful.  Only a fool would pinch pennies and buy one.

Even the sales reps were skeptical about selling them, they certainly were not going to recommend them.
    The price gap on New Egg right now is $70, not $30.  I'd agree that it makes sense to spring for an RTX 2060 if the price difference is only $30, but not so much if it's $70.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    Depends a bit on if the 1660 is priced up or if the 2060 is discounted down as well
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    I've said I won't pay this much for a 6GB card, but it's more accurate to say that I now feel that a 6GB card isn't worth the effort. Price is a factor, but sometimes a low price doesn't justify the compromise.
    blueturtle13Asm0deus
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,298
    Looks like Nvidia is wanting to establish a new price point. We'll have to see if AMD plays along. Why sell a card for $150 if you can be competitive at $210 ;)
    TorvalRidelynnAsm0deus

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited March 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:

The price gap on New Egg right now is $70, not $30.  I'd agree that it makes sense to spring for an RTX 2060 if the price difference is only $30, but not so much if it's $70.
    You could buy a 2060 for $349 at Microcenter and the cheapest 1660 was $299,  that is not $70.  I don't know why people have to quote Newegg all the time, never bought any computers or  parts from them ever, they are just not price leaders.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,991
    edited March 2019
    Ozmodan said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:

You could buy a 2060 for $349 at Microcenter and the cheapest 1660 was $299,  that is not $70.  I don't know why people have to quote Newegg all the time, never bought any computers or  parts from them ever, they are just not price leaders.

Microcenter is one store with only 25 locations nationwide, not really indicative of what's available to the general population. For most people, the difference will be $70. Even with your Microcenter example that's a $50 difference, not $30. Also, the 1660's start at $219 and the highest one doesn't go up to $299. Unless you're talking about the 1660ti.
    edited March 2019
    Ozmodan said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:

On New Egg, the 2060 was $350 and the 1660 Ti was $280.  Probably not coincidentally, that's also the MSRP for both cards.

The reason I mostly quote New Egg is that they have a search function that works, which makes it easy to find prices.  When all I want to do is quote prices, I don't want to spend half an hour fighting with Amazon's broken search function to get an answer.
    Post edited by Quizzical on
    DMKano said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Quizzical said:
    Ozmodan said:

On New Egg, the 2060 was $350 and the 1660 was $280.  Probably not coincidentally, that's also the MSRP for both cards.

The reason I mostly quote New Egg is that they have a search function that works, which makes it easy to find prices.  When all I want to do is quote prices, I don't want to spend half an hour fighting with Amazon's broken search function to get an answer.

1660s are at 220 on new egg

1660 TIs are at 280
    You are correct.  That is what I meant, and I've edited the post as such.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 718
    edited March 2019
    I think it's prime time for a 1660 SE @ $190,  baby !. Drive the home run Nvidia, bring back the 9000 and 8000 series era !

P.S. also 1650 TI @ $160, a 1650 @ $130, and a either 1650 SE/1630 Ti/1630 at $110
    Ozmodan
    edited March 2019
    Yep sorry I was refering to the 1660ti, I have yet to see a plain 1660.

I just do not buy PC parts online, too much of a hassle if you have issues and shipping them back.  I am lucky to have a Microcenter nearby.  They match any price on Newegg if need be and their microprocessors are always cheaper than you can find online.