Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Game List....

LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
I'm pretty sure that over the past 5 years.. maybe more, if you sort the game list at mmorpg.com by rating/hype that the first 10 games haven't changed at all.  That.. makes baby Jesus cry.
Phaserlight

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It used to be that if you didn't like a mmorpg you were playing, you could wait 6-9 months (or less) and another big one would come out. I know I hopped from EQ to SWG to EQ2 to CoH to WoW without missing a beat.

Not these days. Big AAA mmorpgs are getting fewer and fewer. Now it's mostly MOBAs and Battle Royale games, and indie games that get worked on for many, many years. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    And cash shops, loot boxes, scams that basically have nothing to do with a MMORPG yet they keep spending a considerable amount of development time building them.  That has hurt the industry far more than anything else.

One thing that left 10 years ago was focusing on the user experience. 
    Nilden
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Luiden said:
    I'm pretty sure that over the past 5 years.. maybe more, if you sort the game list at mmorpg.com by rating/hype that the first 10 games haven't changed at all.  That.. makes baby Jesus cry.
    It's just so sad, isn't it? It really reflects the state of the genre. :/
    rojoArcueidpsychosiz1Truvidien88

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Now try filtering the results to only include released games and sort them by date. You'll see that the real amazing thing isn't the lack of games and isn't the state of the genre but is the number of games that have come out but haven't "gotten enough votes to be rated".

Which is pretty mindblowing, for some of them. I guess the influencers in this genre haven't been getting paid recently.
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    aummoid said:
    Now try filtering the results to only include released games and sort them by date. You'll see that the real amazing thing isn't the lack of games and isn't the state of the genre but is the number of games that have come out but haven't "gotten enough votes to be rated".

Which is pretty mindblowing, for some of them. I guess the influencers in this genre haven't been getting paid recently.
    You can't influence turds.. they still smell like turds.  :(
    SBFord
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I think that's more a statement about the votes on this site predominantly being old.  It's kind of like votes continuing to be counted the day after the election, but not affecting the results much because most of the votes were already counted on the day of the election.
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Two ways to look at this.

1) The bigger the planet, the greater the gravity.

2) The mangier the dog, the more it attracts missiles.
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Luiden said:
    Those would be:

Final Fantasy XIV
    Guild Wars 2
    Warframe
    Ashes of Creation
    Secret World Legends
    Elder Scrolls Online
    Pantheon
    Rift
    Black Desert Online
    Eden Falling

So... not all these projects are even 5 years old.  I'm not sure what you mean?  The ordered list hasn't changed, or the games themselves ranked above haven't changed?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Luiden said:
    aummoid said:

You can't influence turds.. they still smell like turds.  :(
    Yeah, I'm sure that if people here tried a game and didn't like it, they would refrain from giving it a bad rating. Probably because they're just too polite.

*eyeroll*

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    aummoid said:

When Minecraft (one of the most popular games ever) doesn't have enough votes to be rated, you can pretty much take away that people just don't use the rating feature. So you're left with a short list of games that MMORPG.com hypes and the genre defining MMO classics.
    Phaserlight
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    I have tried to state my opinion in many different ways but to simplify it and i have mentioned this often.....$$$$/business over passionate game design.It works because the gamer's,a large majority seem dumb to the whole idea,all they see is NEW GAME..must buy..must play gimme gimme.

I see the young kids around 20-27 in the truck in the morning and all they need to see is a marketing video and they are sold,OH MAN that looks COOL,i'm getting it.No reasoning,no common sense,just it's look cool i'm buying it.So my point is that the market is for the most part a VERY easy sell,developers don't need to create great games,just offer what the other guy is selling and people will buy it.

it is sort of like computer hardware,just give them a small improvement each year and people will buy it,even if the purchase makes no sense,it is NEW,must have.

Cell phones,something wrong with the one you had last year,nope but that new one just came out,MUST buy gimme gimme.People will find the most minute reason to warrant buying something new...oh oh that car has 5 horsepower more than last years model,i'm trading this one in and buying that one.I can get 5 frames per second more,i'm buying that new card.

pretty simple really,people are very archaic in how they think,more like robots and puppets very systematic and very little logic used.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.