Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much it cost to create a cosmetic item ?

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
People keep saying about cosmetic this and cosmetic that , it make me wonder how much to create a piece of cosmetic item right now

Artist payment cost ?
Copy right cost ?
Time cost ?

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I don't have an answer but I would think a cosmetic item is very cheap, specially when there are modders creating better content for just "tips".
    GdemamiCaffynated

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    A cosmetic item is merely an asset in game (be it a pet, mount, item of clothing, toy, et al) that supposedly does not contribute to the overall power of a character.

It costs no more in man hours to create than any other asset in game of like type.  

Some cosmetic items are free.  Some you pay real money for.

They don't copyright assets, they copyright the body of the work, so anything created as an asset is automatically grandfathered into the game's copyright.

Cash shops basically sell cosmetic items for real world money.  Some cosmetic items are dubious in that they sometimes do contribute to the overall power of a character.   (Star Citizen ships for example).

Amathe
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It depends on the type of cosmetic item: If you're creating new cosmetic color variations for existing item you can make multiple cosmetic items in a day, but if you create something like new mount with its own model, animations, sounds and textures it can take hundreds of hours.

There is no copyright costs with creating it, not unless you purchase a cosmetic item elsewhere and pay for the right to add it to your game. All it costs are the time to plan it + create it + add it to the game.
    iixviiiix

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The cost to conceive of the item and then draw it + the cost to render it graphically + the cost to code it into the game + overhead + marketing?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2019
    Amathe said:
    The cost to conceive of the item and then draw it + the cost to render it graphically + the cost to code it into the game + overhead + marketing?
    Yeah , people keep saying that game can run fine with just cosmetic alone , so here i wonder how much cost to make a piece and how many need to sell to get profit to keep the game running .
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    Not trying to judge anyone but its a little horrifying to me that people spend so much on digital vanity. I love options and looking good in a game. I just can’t justify it, personally, even a dollar or two. To the question, I assume vanity items are one of the cheapest and easiest things to create in a game.
    Gdemami

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Reminds me for some odd reason of "what can you make of this" from the movie Airplane. "I can make a hat. I can make a broach ...."

Sovrathkitarad[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    iixviiiix said:
    People keep saying about cosmetic this and cosmetic that , it make me wonder how much to create a piece of cosmetic item right now

Artist payment cost ?
    Copy right cost ?
    Time cost ?
    depend if the company don't make a "competition" for the comunity to make the skin and how many colors they have for same clothes, and copyrights on skins? good luck on that
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Depends on the Item.

Something like a Weapon could be very cheap and easy, while making sure a pair of boots don't clip across a dozen races and armor types could be a nightmare.
    iixviiiix
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Palebane said:
    Not trying to judge anyone but its a little horrifying to me that people spend so much on digital vanity. I love options and looking good in a game. I just can’t justify it, personally, even a dollar or two. To the question, I assume vanity items are one of the cheapest and easiest things to create in a game.
    Friends of mine would say that they couldn't justify spending time or money on video games.

So yeah, it's subjective.

The thing here is your missing (or don't have appreciation) for a certain axis of thought. That the presentation is as important as the game.

For me, if a game doesn't have a certain look (or if I can't find it within myself to "forgive" its art design) then I can't play it pure and simple.

It's one of the reasons I have such huge difficulty with Lord of the Rings Online and am constantly searching for ways to make my character more in line with what I want to see.

To that point, after I played a bit last night I had to launch and play a bit of Shadow of Mordor just to get a more "Lord of the Rings" feel as the art design in Lord of the Rings Online is piss poor crappypants.

So to me it makes complete sense as to why people would spend money on cosmetics. But it's more about spending money on "experience" than actually having something.

It's like spending money on a going to the movies or a show. The money is for the experience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Ungood said:
    Depends on the Item.

Something like a Weapon could be very cheap and easy, while making sure a pair of boots don't clip across a dozen races and armor types could be a nightmare.
    This.

If it's a full armor set, across multiple races, genders, body sizes, and it's detailed? It could be very expensive. 
    Ungood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Sovrath said:
    Palebane said:
    Friends of mine would say that they couldn't justify spending time or money on video games.

The thing here is your missing (or don't have appreciation) for a certain axis of thought. That the presentation is as important as the game.

For me, if a game doesn't have a certain look (or if I can't find it within myself to "forgive" its art design) then I can't play it pure and simple.

It's one of the reasons I have such huge difficulty with Lord of the Rings Online and am constantly searching for ways to make my character more in line with what I want to see.

To that point, after I played a bit last night I had to launch and play a bit of Shadow of Mordor just to get a more "Lord of the Rings" feel as the art design in Lord of the Rings Online is piss poor crappypants.

So to me it makes complete sense as to why people would spend money on cosmetics. But it's more about spending money on "experience" than actually having something.

It's like spending money on a going to the movies or a show. The money is for the experience.

That might be because Standing Stone does not have an In House Art Team, or at least didn't when I stopped playing.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2019
    ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    Depends on the Item.

This.

If it's a full armor set, across multiple races, genders, body sizes, and it's detailed? It could be very expensive. 
    Body sizes :) Really? You have vectors, so the size actually does not matter.
    Often even the races do not matter.

Females normally get different armor from males because androgynous chest doesn't look good, but other than that usually one armor model fits every playable character.
    Gdemami

Ungood said:
    Sovrath said:
    Palebane said:

That might be because Standing Stone does not have an In House Art Team, or at least didn't when I stopped playing.
    To respond to this (even though the poster is banned) the art design was set in stone when the game was first developed. I don't know why the heck they thought the current art design was good but I remember people hating it and even dissing on some of the earlier weapons (like the bow that looks like it was cut from a branch) yet this is what they came up with.

On topic, it doesn't cost "that much" to make an item though I'm sure it takes longer to create, go through iterations, test, etc than a modder might take in for an item in an Elder Scrolls game.

I've seen amazing items created for the Elder Scrolls games but many of them have had small issues, metal not "rendering" correctly, being too shiny or glowing, weird artifacts for an open helmet, odd clipping, etc.

So it might take a modder x amount of hours and he/she is done. But for the developer they are thinking of the entire game, whether or not an item fits, whether it can be made better or altered, and of course it has to work with all animations, body types, race types, etc.

In the end, there is probably some number that they aim for with the idea that certain items need to make x amount of dollars before they create another one.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    One day if organized,2-3 days if slow,coffee breaks ,chit chats with neighboring stalls,need confirmation several times by your boss but the boss is hardly around so might take longer.

Let me put it this way,there are people doing 1-2 hour You Tube videos of complete animated work and cosmetic items are less effort,so do the math.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Found this, this is one person's experience and another poster seems to think it's reasonable:

6: Good Assets Take Time.

When I started doing modeling and animation, I jumped straight into doing characters, weapons, and scenery models. This was such a huge mistake that I can not even start to tell you how much time it wasted. The player characters and weapons were redone FROM SCRATCH several times, and yet another redo was on the way when the project finally died.

So for every aspiring artist out there, here is the breakdown on project times per asset *IF* you are familiar with the process used and you are already pretty competent at doing these things. This also assumes that they can be dropped right into the engine with no extra work. such as defining a configuration file or a text file for it.

GUI or menu graphics 4 - 8 hours
    One level texture 1 - 2 hours
    One scenery object 4 - 8 hours
    One detailed object(animated or seen up close, like a gun) 8 - 12 hours
    One good room in a map 2 - 4 hours
    Modeling and painting a character 30 - 50 hours
    Rigging a character 4 - 8 hours
    Animating a character, per short animation 1 - 2 hours

Note that these times are for detailed, professional looking assets, and that the times will vary depending on your competence, experience, what assets you already have at your disposal and the complexity of the assets themselves. If you spend less time and just crank something out to fill immediate needs and wants, you'll pay for it when you have to redo it later.

laseritCryomatrixMendelWaanCaffynatediixviiiixAlBQuirky

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    One thing to remember about any "item" you purchase in a game is that the "item" itself does not belong to you. You simply have unlocked by the additional payment the right to use it in game. You cannot take it with you. In most cases, you cannot gift its use to someone else. The game publishers still OWN that item. So, if you think you are making a purchase like you would a car or a house, you are not. It is not an asset.
    Gdemamiiixviiiix

Let's party like it is 1863!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    "What's the cost?" Wrong question.

Correct question: "What is the delta cost".

Otherwise you could produce e.g. an mmo for $100 - or whatever the delta cost is.
    iixviiiix
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    To say that modders create item for free is to say that their time has no value. Even if they don’t put a price on the item for the player, they still spent their time $ making it. Time that could have been spent making money elsewhere. 

There’s nothing like the ignorance of armchair devs making claims like “look at what soandso made in his spare time and you guys suck blah blah blah”

To the op, like many have stated there isn’t s set price. It’s going to depend on the team, if they have a dedicated art team or if they commission their work and what kind of item they are making. 

The only instances I can think of where I would consider it a total ripoff were the glasses in Eve because they were like $500 or something ridiculous and then the horse statue in shroud of the avatar because it was a free asset from the unity store and they were charging silly prices and charging more for larger variations. 
    ikcin said:
    Vrika said:
    ikcin said:
    Ungood said:
    Depends on the Item.

This.

Body sizes :) Really? You have vectors, so the size actually does not matter.
    Often even the races do not matter.

Females normally get different armor from males because androgynous chest doesn't look good, but other than that usually one armor model fits every playable character.
    Females normally get different armor because most players are males and sex sells.
    And because bodies are shaped differently, but you know science and common sense are going out of style so what do I know.

The bikini armor though? Yeah sex sells. 
    AlBQuirky
    Gruug said:
    One thing to remember about any "item" you purchase in a game is that the "item" itself does not belong to you. You simply have unlocked by the additional payment the right to use it in game. You cannot take it with you. In most cases, you cannot gift its use to someone else. The game publishers still OWN that item. So, if you think you are making a purchase like you would a car or a house, you are not. It is not an asset.
    Hopefully blockchain will become more prominent in games then this will be a thing of the past. 
    ikcin said:
    And because bodies are shaped differently, but you know science and common sense are going out of style so what do I know.

I doubt Jeanne d'Arc wore armor with tits :) Indeed the body structure is different, but that does not affect the armors. Also there are large number of lingerie armors. Even in WoW where the sex does not sell.
    Real life female armor, since you brought it up, was in fact shaped different than men’s. 
    Gdemami
    edited February 2019
    ikcin said:

I doubt Jeanne d'Arc wore armor with tits :) Indeed the body structure is different, but that does not affect the armors. Also there are large number of lingerie armors. Even in WoW where the sex does not sell.
    Real life female armor, since you brought it up, was in fact shaped different than men’s. 
    This is an interesting video on the subject

I would jump to 1:50
    AlBQuirky

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I think where cosmetics are concerned one is only limited by their imagination. In a lot of content created you have to worry about how something can be supported by the game engine. This aspect is perhaps something that is by its nature low investment high yield and therefore very easily monetized and capitalized.

Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:

This is an interesting video on the subject

I would jump to 1:50
    Hmm, I could have swore I've seen videos showing armors made for females where the chest plate bulge was higher with a longer narrow waste. I could be delusional.

Either way the point of it be the aesthetics of the time period is all that matters really. Different time period we're in, different aesthetic we depict in our stories.