Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE 0.5 Development Update, coming "soon"

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

In any event, I think the worst part of this game, is not it's progress, but that it puts a lot of features on the table that a lot of players want, but, to be honest, given they are untested, no one would have been able to know for sure how hard they would have been to make and implement. This obviously causing problems, and all to often any admitting of there being a problem tends to lose a lot of faith among the community, so much so, that feel obligated to fly the "All is well" banner till they close the doors and turn off the lights.

This is my concern, I can't see they have the resources to deliver on the level of complexity they are planning for.

Every single system is a mini game into itself, and they plan on delivering dozens upon dozens of them.

Features that have never been done before can most of the time be reduced to components that have all been done before and predicting how much time and effort it takes to implement them isn't that much harder.

The problem with new features is more often trying to predict how well they work in the game and whether the end result is fun or a catastrophe, not the technical side of things.

On technical side any professional should be able to tell that CoE's features are impossible to implement with its current budget. The belief that a new studio could use some new innovation to make stuff faster or cheaper than established studios is just stupid, it fails more than 95% of the time.
    The lead who said he could deliver the game in two years, that's the guy you are saying can break down and predict how long each component should take?

NildenUngoodJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:
    Imagine the hilarity if they actually deliver  :D

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I am pretty confident they will make something. I get the feel that Caspian will launch CoE in some form or another, if for no other reason than to spite his critics, and show them he made something. The question really at this point, is will it be the game he envisioned, the game he marketed, or will it be something else entirely. 

But to be fair here, I do not have enough faith that he will make what he is marketing to invest money into it.

But I am very confident that he will "Launch" something, and by launch, I mean, a game in some playable state, even if still mostly an Alpha.
    That is why I used the word deliver, because of the ambiguity. They will push something out the door eventually. that I believe. If it will resemble anything like promised remains to be seen.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranUngoodMendeltweedledumb99
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Ungood said:

In any event, I think the worst part of this game, is not it's progress, but that it puts a lot of features on the table that a lot of players want, very unique to MMO's features, that have taken 3+ years in text based MUD's, as well as several more years on "Live" development, to pull off well, but, to be honest, given they are untested in the current medium, no one would have been able to know for sure how hard they would have been to make and implement. This obviously causing problems, and he is failing on several ventures, like VoxElyra, that must have set him back quite a bit even if he is not willing to admit it, is also lost progress, so there is simply no way he would have ever hit any stretch goal after such set backs, but all to often any admitting of there being a problem or that things are going sideways tends to lose a lot of faith among the community, so much so, that developers feel obligated to fly the "All is well" banner right down till they close the doors and turn off the lights.

The whole thing really reminds me of NMS. I followed that pretty closely about 18 months before it got launched. Anyone that has read anything about it can see where I'm going. It's also like that meme of that dog sitting in a burning house saying "everything is fine". 

Over SBS admitting it's all gone to crap and everything has got pushed back or just even being realistic with people. He is like Sean Murray smiling away like everything is going perfectly to plan and there isn't any problems at all. The only real difference between the two, is NMS got with a publisher that really screwed them that bit harder. It's only fortunate that CoE hasn't picked one up. 

Though Caspian does seem to be screwing himself anyway. Him keep going on and on about becoming the storm and it's coming. Which is all good and well if something does drop this year, well more than DSS. Or really it's once again all hype for no reason. Reading him in discord the pass few weeks, does seem like it's all slowly getting to him. Maybe why the forums have gone just that little bit more dead and he just stays around the super active people from discord, that shower him in love. 

If NMS did anything good, it made gamers really wary of other gaming companies talking crap. While some maybe blinded by that, the white knights of any game. I see the affect happening that people simply stop caring all together. Something the idiots on CoE forums don't see. If people are complaining, they still care enough to complain. If people just stop all together, there is a chance they won't care enough to return.

Time will tell in the end. I would rather they just be straight up truthfully and get on with the game. Over the hours they waste chatting away to people. Start releasing stuff and people will become active and go back to funding them. Hyping up people for years to only delay everything, people will hit my stage. Caring less each month and stop giving them money all together. Gaining faith again is a ton harder than losing it.
    UngoodGdemamiKyleranStaalBurghertweedledumb99
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

In any event, I think the worst part of this game, is not it's progress, but that it puts a lot of features on the table that a lot of players want, but, to be honest, given they are untested, no one would have been able to know for sure how hard they would have been to make and implement. This obviously causing problems, and all to often any admitting of there being a problem tends to lose a lot of faith among the community, so much so, that feel obligated to fly the "All is well" banner till they close the doors and turn off the lights.

This is my concern, I can't see they have the resources to deliver on the level of complexity they are planning for.

Every single system is a mini game into itself, and they plan on delivering dozens upon dozens of them.

Features that have never been done before can most of the time be reduced to components that have all been done before and predicting how much time and effort it takes to implement them isn't that much harder.

The problem with new features is more often trying to predict how well they work in the game and whether the end result is fun or a catastrophe, not the technical side of things.

On technical side any professional should be able to tell that CoE's features are impossible to implement with its current budget. The belief that a new studio could use some new innovation to make stuff faster or cheaper than established studios is just stupid, it fails more than 95% of the time.
    The lead who said he could deliver the game in two years, that's the guy you are saying can break down and predict how long each component should take?

I was trying to say that they mispredicted because they were idiots who thought they could use a new innovation to program more effectively than established game studios, not because they were doing things that were never done before.
    GdemamiNildenUngood

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

I was trying to say that they mispredicted because they were idiots who thought they could use a new innovation to program more effectively than established game studios, not because they were doing things that were never done before.
    Not sure I would say idiots.  Honestly I think that Caspien is a very creative guy who is a dreamer.  I believe he has proven to be utterly incompetent as a project manager and has a tremendous lack of self-confidence which causes him to have disasterous interactions with his customers when challenged. To me, this also manifests itself in his utter inability to simply admit he has made mistakes.  Mistakes which are glaring in bright neon signs to everyone else. We have all met people like this. Folks that are in a leadership role that clearly they should not be in.  Some people are not meant to be the #1 guy and run a studio.   Brad McQuaid has proven to be one of those guys IMHO.  Caspien falls into the same bucket.  I think he desperately needs someone to play the adult in the room and help trim the ambitions and create realistic budgets and timelines.  My thoughts are that giving a guy like Caspien millions of dollars with no oversight and no strict timeline is like giving a 15 year old a Lamborghini as his car to learn how to drive in and not even requiring an adult in the car.

[Deleted User]GdemamiKyleranJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

I'd split hairs that I would call them foolishly delusional, but .. you know.. stupid works too.
    KyleranMadFrenchie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

I'm not exactly on board with their doing something "more effectively than established game studios".  I believe that they thought they could, but that's another miscalculation in my book, probably their first mistake in a series of mistakes.  Maybe that figures into your 'idiot' observation.  Experience almost always is more valuable than people want to believe, especially for endeavors like software development which isn't strenuous or life-threatening.

SBS appears to have a plethora of inexperience at their disposal.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

I'm not exactly on board with their doing something "more effectively than established game studios".  I believe that they thought they could, but that's another miscalculation in my book, probably their first mistake in a series of mistakes.  Maybe that figures into your 'idiot' observation.  Experience almost always is more valuable than people want to believe, especially for endeavors like software development which isn't strenuous or life-threatening.

It was obvious from the beginning when the “developers” were listing their college projects on their LinkedIn pages.  Everyone has to start somewhere but it seems there was a lot of that inexperience in all areas.  On the plus side, the next time Caspien starts a company and Kickstarts a game it should go smoother.  ;) 
    GdemamiMendel

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

It was obvious from the beginning when the “developers” were listing their college projects on their LinkedIn pages.  Everyone has to start somewhere but it seems there was a lot of that inexperience in all areas.  On the plus side, the next time Caspien starts a company and Kickstarts a game it should go smoother.  ;) 
    You saw that.  I saw that.  The Laughing Cow probably didn't.  *damn*  Now I want some cheese.

MadFrenchieKylerancraftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Mendel said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said: 

The usage of the specific term should is key here.
    craftseeker

Caspien has actually posted publicly that the State of Elyria update will be this Friday.

It will be interesting to compare to last years.
    KyleranDakeru

Caspians Tweet confirming.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeromyWalsh/status/1103058810455769088

Fekkin social media......

:#

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

I wonder if his friends at PCGamer will cover it.
    KyleranAnOldFartDerryFH

Maybe @DMKano can make a few calls?

;)

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:

I wonder if his friends at PCGamer will cover it.
    This made me laugh, so I couldn't decide whether to give it an awesome or a lol. 

And after writing a massive essay and submitting it a laugh was very much needed.

Thank you 
    Slapshot1188
    edited March 2019
    Interesting observation, Jeremy appears to intentionally avoid posting more than one or two word replies on the COE forums, yet has no issue waxing eloquently elsewhere.

It took him more effort to link his Friday Tweet than it would have taken to quickly retype it directly. 

Wonder what's up with that? Trying to up his Tweet count or something? Perhaps he's one of those social media types who are always trying to improve their virtual presence, I dunno. 
    AnOldFartGdemami

edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Interesting observation, Jeremy appears to intentionally avoid posting more than one or two word replies on the COE forums, yet has no issue waxing eloquently elsewhere.

It took him more effort to link his Friday Tweet than it would have taken to quickly retype it directly. 

Wonder what's up with that? Trying to up his Tweet count or something? Perhaps he's one of those social media types who are always trying to improve their virtual presence, I dunno. 
    He still seems to try and live in this bizarre world where stuff posted on the forum is “official” and stuff posted elsewhere is not. It’s strange but even the customers will regurgitate that back .

But definitely a good move.  When people are complain that you split communication between forum and Discord... let’s add Twitter!
    KyleranGdemamicraftseeker

Kyleran said:

He still seems to try and live in this bizarre world where stuff posted on the forum is “official” and stuff posted elsewhere is not. It’s strange but even the customers will regurgitate that back .

But definitely a good move.  When people are complain that you split communication between forum and Discord... let’s add Twitter!
    Coming up next, Snapchat and Pinterest. 
    ;)
    Slapshot1188AnOldFart

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Hey at least he can rely on folks like us to consolidate communications for the wider audience :)
    KyleranTorrskGdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Slapshot1188 said:

Hey at least he can rely on folks like us to consolidate communications for the wider audience :)

Honestly this is one reason I still come onto these forums. People can say whatever they want about you. At least you share info. Unlike looking at that thread in question. "So what's going on". "Get your fucking ass on discord scrub". 

At least this forum just makes it easy to find whatever SBS has said lately. I don't have time or energy to dig for it.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiLokeroAnOldFart
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    and Tinder for hiring new developers ;)
    Kyleran
    edited March 2019
    Well Caspian is giving a constant word count update.
    Good to know he is concentrating on writing his update. 

21.35 Up to 1,500 words now.
    Still got some more writing to do, plus the intro and conclusion.
    I think my estimate of 2,500 words is pretty spot on.
    21.46 1700 words now.
    21.52. I'm still on the stuff in the middle.
    The intro will probably be 250 words, the conclusion a bit less.
    21.53. I'm going to try and keep it under 2500 words.
    21.55 Heh. It's not a release blog.
    The 0.5.0 blog will have a hell of a lot more media.

How about get the f**k off discord and write it, does he not have any time management skill or discipline.
    Oh and this update is just the state of elyria not the 0.5 uodate
    craftseekerJamesGoblinDakeru
    He's priming the pump:

Caspian ☁Today at 6:10 PM

Please note, there's a difference between missing a deliverable and changing plans. We decided not to release the Pre-Alpha last year with little content and few mechanics. But we are otherwise where we expected to be at about the same time.
    Torrsk

And apparently they are not behind, just where they planned to be... 

Please note, there's a difference between missing a deliverable and changing plans. We decided not to release the Pre-Alpha last year with little content and few mechanics. But we are otherwise where we expected to be at about the same time.
    That said, hands-down. We were late on Map Voting.

Still hard writing the update as well I see... 

I'm going to give him one more piece of free advice (since we know he reads this).

Companies usually dump bad news on Friday evening.  There is a reason for this related to timing, the news cycle and attention spans.  Putting out your multi-month awaited CoE Update on Friday after 7PM Eastern is just a wasted opportunity.  By Monday, unless I am still poking fun at it.. it will have long scrolled off the front page and been buried in obscurity.

Next time... pay attention to when real companies release PR.

Gdemami