Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this worth giving a shot?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited February 2019
    Eve is hard to get into. There isn't a lot to do solo other than mine or run missions, which would be fine but you don't actually fly the ship.  You control it via something that looks like a small corner of a Excel spreadsheet.  You do all of this so you can afford insurance on your ship and clone. 

It's a good-ish game and I believe free to try.  No harm in that.
    Maurgrim
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    Wargfoot said:
    Any tips for a new player?
    Explore. Litteraly.

There is so much content, so much depth, so much to do. Research every pixel of the screen, ask questions and enjoy seeking the answers.

One of the easiest ways to start your journey in EVE is to open market interface, pick some item from the market and do the research what the item does and where does it come from.

Then, head out and see how it works with your own eyes.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wargfoot said:
    Another quick question: Is there anything like Eve only more recent and perhaps more friendly?
    I'm only looking for games that have been released.

A spiritual successor?
    No, not by any stretch of a shot. EVE is unique, one and only.

Do you find the game unfriendly? Why?
    [Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Gdemami said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Another quick question: Is there anything like Eve only more recent and perhaps more friendly?

A spiritual successor?
    No, not by any stretch of a shot. EVE is unique, one and only.

Do you find the game unfriendly? Why?
    I think it's for the same thing that you mentioned earlier. Research every pixel of the screen. The game is not new user friendly in the sense that it cannot possibly teach you everything, so you spend a lot of time researching what does what and how to do it. That's definitely what felt unfriendly to me.
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Eve is maybe not the one to go for if you like fast & furious zerg-style action to rival most stores on Black Friday.

If you like in-depth detail and deep strategy, could be your thing.

But research is definitely the way to go, and Facebook has plenty players and groups to supplement any tips you discover here.

Type site:facebook.com “eve online” into Google & see what comes up.

Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
    I think it's for the same thing that you mentioned earlier. Research every pixel of the screen. The game is not new user friendly in the sense that it cannot possibly teach you everything, so you spend a lot of time researching what does what and how to do it. That's definitely what felt unfriendly to me.
    I can see that.

The game is complex thus research about the game "should" be enjoyable.

They did strong effort to "wowify" the game and new player experience(backed by science! - that litteraly broke my heart :( ) is fairly "streamlined" so if you wish to follow that path, it is avaliable.

I loved the old tutorial/help. You had this menu where you could click on various topics and Aura guided you through each with pictures. It was amazing.

Now they even removed the ingame browser which was sort of replacement and you could look up wiki on topics of your interest without immersion breaking alt-tabbing.
    Panther2103[Deleted User]
    Gdemami said:
    I can see that.

The game is complex thus research about the game "should" be enjoyable.

They did strong effort to "wowify" the game and new player experience(backed by science! - that litteraly broke my heart :( ) is fairly "streamlined" so if you wish to follow that path, it is avaliable.

I loved the old tutorial/help. You had this menu where you could click on various topics and Aura guided you through each with pictures. It was amazing.

Now they even removed the ingame browser which was sort of replacement and you could look up wiki on topics of your interest without immersion breaking alt-tabbing.
    I do remember the old tutorial, I can say I got further into the game back then, then I did last time I tried to play ~5 months ago. It's still quite daunting, but I can see it being enjoyable to learn, I just have an extremely short attention span so Eve is hard as hell to get into for me.
    Wargfoot said:
    I've not played it yet but people do report it is difficult to learn.
    "Difficult" is relative...make of it what you want :-P

Escapes - defnitely YES! It is the only PVP game I know that allows for effective trade offs and provide so many layers to toy with. You can spend litteraly hours just playing cat and mouse :)

There will always be a trade off between ability to catch vs ability to kill. So many options! 
    [Deleted User]
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Wargfoot said:
    I'm thinking about getting into EVE and I'm wondering if it is worth a shot.

I'm generally a pretty conservative player - I mostly like to solo in support of a larger clan/guild - it doesn't really take much to entertain me and I don't mind getting ganked every here and again.Any tips for a new player?

Any tips for a new player?
    There is a steeper learning curve at the beginning compared to most mmo games, but recently there has been better tutorials added, I have read, & it is doable regardless, heck I did it.

Unless there has been drastic changes to EVE & your system is somewhat a recent medium build the game is gorgeous which blew me away the first few times I played it.

It is PvP though, there are safe areas, especially in the beginning, but nevertheless it is PvP.  Since I am not a fan of such that was I never wholeheartedly got into the game too much & never invested real money into it.

Remember it is an already established game so there are plenty of pros & cons that come with that.  Economic inflation, more people to help you out, which when I played the community seemed really nice, & various other trappings but the same is for entering into a brand new released game.

Mostly importantly, it is free to play with restrictions & it also has some subscription service as well but being F2P you absolutely should at least try it if you are interested.  Good luck & hope you have fun if you do.
    t0nyd said:
    Is perpetuum still around? It was sort of like Eve but easier to grasp, and it was mechs.
    The main server shut down a while ago, but there's a user ran server running with like 60 people online.
  • BurnouttxBurnouttx Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The game is worth giving a shot, but what most new players do not figure out is that this is a SOCIAL game.  You should join some of the new player friendly corporations in game like Brave Newbies, Karmafleet, or Pandemic Horde.  These people will show you the ropes and point you in the right direction on how you want to play.
    Palebane
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Elite Dangerous is Eve-esque and VR capable (If you have an Oculus).  You actually fly your ship in ED, not just click menus.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    eve is just like real life space travel

currently all ships that travel our universe do so by drop down menus and clicking commands... nobody actually flies spaceships

Sz  :)
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Wargfoot said:

A spiritual successor?
    There was a spiritual successor.  It was pretty much EVE in Mechs, but after an initial swell of support, it died down quickly, shut down, and then they gave the code away for free.

It was called Perpetuum.

I liked it quite a bit and played for like six months.  The *problem* with the game, which even EVE had in it's first years, is that some of the devs got really chummy with some of the players, took an interest in seeing those players succeed and essentially helped them cheat.  Once that scandal broke, Perpetuum was done.

Similar to the G20 scandal from 12+ years ago where an EVE dev was caught giving in-game friends some high level blueprints.

At the end of the day, however, EVE was just a better designed game overall and so I kept it.

The real problem Perpetuum had is that once hostiles found you, then you were pretty much dead.  EVE gives the defender a ton of mechanics to avoid non-consensual PVP, but Perpetuum, being a land based game, didn't really have that.  If you were out mining in a mining Mech, and a PVP'er caught you, there was no warping away.  You just died.