Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think can be done to radically change how MMORPG are played?

123457»

Comments

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    anyway .. back on topic, as it stands, you can't make some new great MMO, if you cling to old ideas. Want to make something great, you need a new idea to make it happen.
    True. Not only that, but you need hidden "controls" on player interactions. Maybe "soft" controls would be a better term.

This topic of zergs is pretty important. Players will, as VengeSunsoar says, group into very large guilds and simply zerg content. That's just not fun, it's too easy .
    That's not the sort of game play I want, or to be surrounded by it either.

There are "soft" ways to control that. Rather than controlled group sizes in instanced content, open it up and then add spawn to compensate. Also, why do players always have to win? How about Boss Mobs that try to escape overwhelming odds? And tricks and a set of strategies to do so. Traps, illusions, defensive set-ups, AOE spells, etc., things that a NPC can use but players can recognize and try to block.

To me, the tactic of 'zerging' requires the ability to resurrect the fallen to quickly get them back in the fight.  Simply rushing a mob with numbers seems more like a 'bum rush', bring overwhelming numbers as quickly as possible and worry about the consequences afterwards.

In the case of a Rez and Return tactic, one of the easiest ways to discourage this tactic is to make resurrection a much more elaborate process.  Retrieve the body, possibly difficult when a mob swallows a body (or part).  Reassemble the body.  Heal the body's wounds.  Return the soul to the body.  Recover.  Resurrection and recovery is far too simple in every MMORPG.  Rez sticks, resurrection that returns a significant portion of health/mana, etc., make the rez and return tactic possible.

Ew, but making it tedious will drive players away. Making it specialized in some way could work, just not a long drawn out process. 
    While I agree that it would be tedious, resurrection as a whole seems pretty gamey to me.  I would prefer a simulation rather than a game mechanism.  Abstracting something like returning to life as a single step process seems overly simplistic.  A resurrection *should* be something that happens rarely, not 10 times in the course of a single raid, it *should* be a major type magic, not something that happens everyday.  A reasonable abstraction in a single operation could probably require a 10 minute casting time for a basic minimal rez, adding another 2 minutes per +10% recovery.

And tediousness would definitely counter the Rez and Return variation of the Zerg tactic, which is what I responded to.

There are games that already do this. This feature has not revitalized the genre 
    Name one of these MMORPGs that do this, please, because they are outside of my personal gaming experience.

Everquest is the one I’m most familiar with.
    Everquest has always had an immediate respawn-after-death.  It also had a movable bind point (albeit with some zone and class restrictions).  Combining the two, it is relatively easy for some classes to Rez and Return.   I've been on far too many PoP raids that leveraged that Rez and Return tactic to the raid's benefit -- for continuing the fight, and for personal flagging.

It was sometime after PoP that EQ1 introduced a hover in zone 'limbo' after a death, and that was specifically added to counter long return times.  (For OOW or GOD raids, I *think*).

So, EQ1 does not qualify, and never has.  It does nothing to deter a Rez-and-Return style Zerg.

Well if you want anything more restrictive than EQ you’ll never ever see it. If you don’t get immediate respawn people will last 10 seconds.  Better make it yourself and expect zero customers. 
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    anyway .. back on topic, as it stands, you can't make some new great MMO, if you cling to old ideas. Want to make something great, you need a new idea to make it happen.
    True. Not only that, but you need hidden "controls" on player interactions. Maybe "soft" controls would be a better term.

This topic of zergs is pretty important. Players will, as VengeSunsoar says, group into very large guilds and simply zerg content. That's just not fun, it's too easy .

There are "soft" ways to control that. Rather than controlled group sizes in instanced content, open it up and then add spawn to compensate. Also, why do players always have to win? How about Boss Mobs that try to escape overwhelming odds? And tricks and a set of strategies to do so. Traps, illusions, defensive set-ups, AOE spells, etc., things that a NPC can use but players can recognize and try to block.

To me, the tactic of 'zerging' requires the ability to resurrect the fallen to quickly get them back in the fight.  Simply rushing a mob with numbers seems more like a 'bum rush', bring overwhelming numbers as quickly as possible and worry about the consequences afterwards.

In the case of a Rez and Return tactic, one of the easiest ways to discourage this tactic is to make resurrection a much more elaborate process.  Retrieve the body, possibly difficult when a mob swallows a body (or part).  Reassemble the body.  Heal the body's wounds.  Return the soul to the body.  Recover.  Resurrection and recovery is far too simple in every MMORPG.  Rez sticks, resurrection that returns a significant portion of health/mana, etc., make the rez and return tactic possible.

Ew, but making it tedious will drive players away. Making it specialized in some way could work, just not a long drawn out process. 
    While I agree that it would be tedious, resurrection as a whole seems pretty gamey to me.  I would prefer a simulation rather than a game mechanism.  Abstracting something like returning to life as a single step process seems overly simplistic.  A resurrection *should* be something that happens rarely, not 10 times in the course of a single raid, it *should* be a major type magic, not something that happens everyday.  A reasonable abstraction in a single operation could probably require a 10 minute casting time for a basic minimal rez, adding another 2 minutes per +10% recovery.

And tediousness would definitely counter the Rez and Return variation of the Zerg tactic, which is what I responded to.

There are games that already do this. This feature has not revitalized the genre 
    Name one of these MMORPGs that do this, please, because they are outside of my personal gaming experience.

Everquest has always had an immediate respawn-after-death.  It also had a movable bind point (albeit with some zone and class restrictions).  Combining the two, it is relatively easy for some classes to Rez and Return.   I've been on far too many PoP raids that leveraged that Rez and Return tactic to the raid's benefit -- for continuing the fight, and for personal flagging.

It was sometime after PoP that EQ1 introduced a hover in zone 'limbo' after a death, and that was specifically added to counter long return times.  (For OOW or GOD raids, I *think*).

So, EQ1 does not qualify, and never has.  It does nothing to deter a Rez-and-Return style Zerg.

Well if you want anything more restrictive than EQ you’ll never ever see it. If you don’t get immediate respawn people will last 10 seconds.  Better make it yourself and expect zero customers. 
    I tried.  Couldn't get funding in 2002-2003.  I moved on.

Zerging is and has been a problem.  It makes people not want to play games that allow this tactic.   My idea directly attempts to attack the rez-and-return form of zergs as a viable in-game tactic.  This tactic is one reason why people do not like the current editions of MMORPGs.  Removing or hampering this tactic *might* be one avenue in which interest in the genre might be reinvigorated, which is the topic of this thread.

Maybe it would be popular.  Maybe not.  I don't think either of us could say.  It appears as if I wouldn't have you as a customer, that's all I can gather from your response.  But ask yourself this: how many games do you play and put up with one design decision you don't agree with?

tweedledumb99Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Raids in Dungeons and Dragons Online, if you die, you are Soul-Struck for 5 min, and can't be raised, and when/if you do finally get raised, you suffer resurrection penalties, and take a 10% exp loss from the Dungeon (If you complete it), as well as item damage, not to mention that the caster uses up components to raise people. 

In GW2 dungeons and raids you can't be raised at all as long as a single member of your group is in combat.

13lake
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    The key to the MMORPG was the first M. This is the factor that has slowly been eroding over the years, and is the thing that makes players long for the old days. Over time, games have been optimized for more tighly knit groups, and less for the zerg. This has led to first guild based gaming, then as the groups got smaller, to just friends gaming together. Sure, you may be part of a larger world, but the 'best' experience is optimized to a recurring group of players experiencing the content together.

What is needed is for players to not only need each other on the small scale, but for them to need each other in large numbers... and not in a highly skilled fashion. PUG's need to be a highly desirable goal, with players WANTING to interact, rather than only doing so occasionally.  Once there is a reasonable desire for players to interact on a Massive scale, then games will change back to what was once a norm.
    While "zerg" was a race in Starcraft in 1998, zerg as a tactic didn't really appear in MMORPGS until at least six years later. In Everquest the mega raid to kill a 'Dragon'  was a highly structured affair and not a zerg at all.
    There were zergs in UO.Beta test.
    So you are telling me there were zergs in UO before the word was coined as the name of a swarming alien race in Starcraft?

Well as I never played UO (an aversion to all things 'Lord British') I will have to take your word for it. But tell me what did you call that behaviour at the time? Because it obviously wasn't "zerg" .

Which brings up an interesting cultural point. If, as you say, that tactic was prevalent as far back as UO beta, what did people call it? And as that behaviour, masses of players engaging one target, is so much more like todays 'zerg' than zerglings, why did the name change?
    I don't know the answer, but what if Starcraft decided on "Zerg" because of the tactics done in Games before? Then, seeing this word and tactic, players decided to adopt its use to games they played. Does it really matter who said what first?
    Mendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited February 2019
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Zerging is and has been a problem.  It makes people not want to play games that allow this tactic.   My idea directly attempts to attack the rez-and-return form of zergs as a viable in-game tactic.  This tactic is one reason why people do not like the current editions of MMORPGs.  Removing or hampering this tactic *might* be one avenue in which interest in the genre might be reinvigorated, which is the topic of this thread.

Maybe it would be popular.  Maybe not.  I don't think either of us could say.  It appears as if I wouldn't have you as a customer, that's all I can gather from your response.  But ask yourself this: how many games do you play and put up with one design decision you don't agree with?

Reviving instantly isn't the problem, it's returning to the fight that is the problem. Making revive take time, enough to do what you are talking about, would substantially reduce everyone's play time. That in itself would quite possibly be the worst death penalty ever put into a game. I would rather instantly respawn 1 hour away without my gear than sit and wait for anything. That right there is the reason I cannot stand lobby games. If I have to sit in a lobby for even 5 minutes, then wait for a match to start as people come in I'm gone. I don't play it. You're talking about making the revive itself take so long that it cannot affect an event like a raid. That's a substantial amount of time and would kill any desire to do it for a majority of players.
    Gdemami
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    So here is a question for everyone

If you use in game gold / in game currency (tradeable) to replace EXP , then how will gameplay change ?

If you remove mana point MP and all active skills that use MP now use health point HP , then how will the gameplay change ?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    iixviiiix said:

If you use in game gold / in game currency (tradeable) to replace EXP , then how will gameplay change ?

If you remove mana point MP and all active skills that use MP now use health point HP , then how will the gameplay change ?
    Interesting ideas.

1) How does the character grow if XP is changed to money? Is it just a gear (buyable upgrades) game, then? Or does this involve skills improving as one uses them?

2) Having it all use health instead of mana is an idea I'd like to see in action. Fighters, using little to no spells would have it all for their health. Mages, being spellcasters, would be true "Glass Cannons." Decisions would need to be made, like whether to throw that next spell or prepare for getting hit by saving those HPs.

Interesting ideas. Game changers? Maybe...
    Steelhelmiixviiiix

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    some of the issues devs could take a better look at is the player base of mmorpgs
    the mmo players could be separated into two groups
    those that don't want any pvp in their game
    and those that want

and those that want pvp in their game could again be divided into
    those that don't want open world pvp
    and those that want
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    AlBQuirky said:
    iixviiiix said:

Interesting ideas.

1) How does the character grow if XP is changed to money? Is it just a gear (buyable upgrades) game, then? Or does this involve skills improving as one uses them?

2) Having it all use health instead of mana is an idea I'd like to see in action. Fighters, using little to no spells would have it all for their health. Mages, being spellcasters, would be true "Glass Cannons." Decisions would need to be made, like whether to throw that next spell or prepare for getting hit by saving those HPs.

Interesting ideas. Game changers? Maybe...
    It's just my opinions

1) i think the change will be when you don't need to fight (kill) to progress then there are more odd jobs will be create , it will become a game of life

2) You get it right :D .
    AlBQuirky
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Reviving instantly isn't the problem, it's returning to the fight that is the problem. Making revive take time, enough to do what you are talking about, would substantially reduce everyone's play time. That in itself would quite possibly be the worst death penalty ever put into a game. I would rather instantly respawn 1 hour away without my gear than sit and wait for anything. That right there is the reason I cannot stand lobby games. If I have to sit in a lobby for even 5 minutes, then wait for a match to start as people come in I'm gone. I don't play it. You're talking about making the revive itself take so long that it cannot affect an event like a raid. That's a substantial amount of time and would kill any desire to do it for a majority of players.
    So, you don't want a *radical* change of game play?  Okay, I guess.  Good luck reviving the genre with more-of-the-same.  Enjoy your game.

Gdemami

Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:
    Mendel said:
    Mendel said:
    Ungood said:

Raids in Dungeons and Dragons Online, if you die, you are Soul-Struck for 5 min, and can't be raised, and when/if you do finally get raised, you suffer resurrection penalties, and take a 10% exp loss from the Dungeon (If you complete it), as well as item damage, not to mention that the caster uses up components to raise people. 

In GW2 dungeons and raids you can't be raised at all as long as a single member of your group is in combat.

Thanks.

I've not raided in D&D Online, but the regular game definitely incorporates the instant rez mechanic.

GW2, I've never been interested in, and never have investigated it.  Does the dead character instantly return to their bind point, or does that happen only when the raid/dungeon is finished?  If they return instantly to their bind point, the rez and return tactic is still possible, depending on the location of the character's bind location.  I'm guessing that you're specifically talking about another character casting a spell to revive the dead person.  I could see that as a reasonable situational restriction to the rez spell.