Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most populated MMORPG right now?

124»

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    gervaise1 said:
    kertin said:
    Funny, people actually believe FFXIV, ESO and BDO got more active players than WoW. That can work in your wild dreams full of imagination and fantasy but in reality? C'mon...

But on positive note, it's sweet these aged oldschool folks are still kids in their hearts living in imaginary world where you are free to make up your own active player's numbers and convincing yourself WoW numbers are so low, to be precise, WoW numbers are low compared to previous years, but it's still way enough to be number 1 and with classic and new xpac announcement it's just going to stay that way for some time.

You can cry, bite, defend your worthless MMO's you are playing but you can't dethrone WoW because you want it to be dethroned :), not in this universe my bois

You can try it again in 3-5 years, it's reasonable time to try dethrone WoW and be maybe successful

with love 

Your Kertin

PS: getting less than 5 LOL's and WTF's will be too disappointing in this blind community, so show me some love
    Why do you believe that WoW has c. 7M subscribers?

I can tell you what Activision Blizzard last gave out: 5.4M. And a quarter later WoW revenue which indicated 3.8M. And a quarter later Blizzard revenue which indicated 3M. Numbers including China and all based on quarterly financial reports btw - the risk getting locked up if they lie reports. 

Maybe you believe it was stellar growth in the Chinese playerbase followng the abolition of  "gametime" and the introduction of a mandatory sub. Sure most people believe this caused many dissatisfied players to leave but maybe you see it as a positive.

Maybe you believe it has been the stellar reception of the recent expansions - accompanied with further recent declines in Blizzard's quarterly revenue and staff layoffs. (Note: we can't say these days that the decline is just due to WoW although at the time they took over King they did warn that WoW was still a big factor.)

I don't want to put words into your mouth though. You have stated that WoW has 7M subs. Activision Blizzard haven't said this - I thought they might have done! - but on what do you base your number. Curious.
    Did he actually say wow have 7M?  

I think he said wow have "far more" player than other MMO.  Even if wow have massive decline, it most likely still far exceed other MMO.

i read what people say about FF14 on google.  Dont' seem like it have enough even after wow's decline.  I'm not sure about eso or black desert.
  • UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 1,143
    Even if Blizzard posted evidence of having more subs than everyone else people wouldn't believe it and accuse them of manipulation. People just want to hate on wow, even though its 15 years old now. I honestly thought the wow hate fad would die off years ago but miserable people are resilient. 
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 57
    The problem is numbers are guesstimated by using a small sample.  I stumbled accross a grad student doing a thesis and he interns for a larg marketing company,  he used several different methods and resources to  make a determination. He also had access to many resources not available publicly. He found that  Fortnite has more players online than any other game.  GTA online also has a substantial number of players online.  The measurement used to define these two games as the highest numbers of players online was a compilation of multiple factors.  What makes this potentially more viable is the fact that these two games were far and away the most popular in every measurement.  In terms of MMO's, there's a variety of conflicting information as almost every measurement uses the small sample guesstimate system.  The method used determining GTA and fortnite suggest there is no clear cut number 1 mmo game as the information changes too often which impacts the number of players at any given time.  Apparently when it comes to MMO games, most of the players don't stay in the same place for more than two months at the most.  Numbers suggested that new expansions and events bring in many players at any given time and many of those players leave in mass in  a short time impacting a true measurement of the population.  
    sumdumguy1
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,298
    edited August 21
    gervaise1 said:
    Amathe said:
    How do we calculate without first agreeing on what a mmorpg is?

Worse still!

How do you compare numbers when A has a mandatory monthly sub; B is b2p no mandatory sub; C is f2p; D has a mandatory 3 day or 10 day sub and so on.
    I think the number devs / publishers focus on the most is which game makes the greatest amount of money /  profit.

Most likely some title popular in Asia but has little traction here in the west.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,368
    Quick! Post your favorite game!

The best part is when somebody says, "you forgot to list Game X".

No. No we didn't forget to list "Game X". 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,368
    Avanah said:
    Come 27 August this Topic will be irrelevant as we all will know the answer. :)
    I'm in between MMORPGs atm and I think it's wise to hold off subbing to anything until the dust (or smoke) settles.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 846
    Second Life?

But seriously, mine is ESO.

I'm level 45 on my Nord Maglar and just started Eastmarch. I've been finishing all the zones before moving on, except WB's & Dungeon+'s and plan to solo those when I get geared enough.

I'm listening to every quest, reading every book/scroll I find and talking to every NPC I can and it's really helping me get into the overall story.

I still plan to follow the main story for each faction as far as I can on my 3 characters.

I'm trying to do the same for each expansion/DLC as they were released as well.

When you're not in a hurry, and you get absorbed into the story, ESO is pretty damned great.

When you've played a long time, or rushed through content, or PVP'd your heart out, this game will get old, but I'm not even 1/3rd of the way there yet, and enjoying the ride.

I'm not sure I'd ever want to play this game competitively with how the combat mechanics are, but I'm not close to worrying about that yet.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    sweet deal
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,302
    RuneScape, it's very popular.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As of 27 Aug 2019 the most populated MMO is probably going to be WoW Classic. ;)
  • Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited August 25
    classic wow is classic old shit..

LETS RUN THROUGH DEAD MINES AGAIN.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,593
    Phry said:
    As of 27 Aug 2019 the most populated MMO is probably going to be WoW Classic. ;)
    I bet Blizz will release sub numbers again if classic does well
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 657

I would feel confident in speculating the following order of things:

1. WoW (by a long way largely due to classic)

2. FFXIV (behind WoW by a fair amount now due to classic, but well clear of the rest)

3. ESO

4. BDO

5. No idea about the rest.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,533
    edited August 25
    Albatroes said:
    Phry said:
    I bet Blizz will release sub numbers again if classic does well

This is very typical of Blizzard,instead of telling you WHY the game is good to play they simply post numbers.I guess they figure all gamer's are dummies and just jump off the bridge if they see everyone else jumping off.

I got news for you Blizzard,you should operate your entire business differently,quit being so cheap with implementation,quit worrying about filling your coffers with loads of money so your board members remain happy.

The proper way to run a business is to give back to those MILLIONS that made you a popular brand,put a AAA effort into your games instead of thinking of new ways to monetize them.

It wasn't always this way but the past 4 or so years Blizzard has become all about $$$$$$ and nothing else.Just look at Hearthstone,it was at one point their biggest money maker,NOW the game is dying out quickly and losing many of it's star names.Blizzard has put no effort into the game and it's content,every single content idea is a lazy rehashed idea.Diablo 3 was atrocious,they actually made the  game worse and areas of armor looked unfinished.HOTS,well we got more heroes for you to buy and nothing else.OW a completely handcuffed game,instead of opening up the modding like other games do,Blizz wants full control to yet again,further monetize it.UT is a far more skilled game,fully implemented for the public gamer's and it's 100% FREE.

Activision is doing no better because they are also more worried about $$$ than the quality of their games.Forcing overhead out the door and removing bonuses does NOT equate to better games,better management yes but not better games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,533
    Most populated might be a fair question but not one that matters,not even remotely.Any game could own 99% of the entire market,if i felt it wasn't a good game,i would not be playing it just because everyone else is,i can think for myself thank you very much.

I would be more interested in threads IF they ever exist where by gamer's dissect game content ideas,the designs so we can determine the better system designs and who is doing a better job of actually "developing" the genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,067
    edited August 25
    "The most populated" was always a turn off for me...I don't really like to go where the masses go, but I'd rather blaze my own trail, even if theres only a few others playing.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,387
    Apples, oranges, even pears.

WoW largest subscription mmorpg in the west - yep. World - how is it performing in China since they introduced the subscription. And now you have the negative sentiment created by the sanctions - could be a factor. (And maybe AB will be ordered out of China by the god king!)

WoW largest mmo? Fornite is an mmo! @Phry I am sure you meant to say mmorpg. A lot of mmos have some form of optional plan as well - usually annual.

Which brings us to non-subscription mmorpgs. No sub needed. And at that point you are trying to compare apples with oranges and even pears.